Mavic Air Gimbal Forward / Down CF button...POLL
3089 22 2018-4-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bill-Fly
lvl.3
Flight distance : 70722 ft
United States

Mavic Air Gimbal Forward / Down Custom Function button.
I am trying to get DJI to add this badly needed function.
Currently, we have gimble forward only.
Please vote.
Single SelectVote, Total 125 people participate in voting

Voting has ended

58.40% (73)
35.20% (44)
6.40% (8)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2018-4-27
Use props
Bill-Fly
lvl.3
Flight distance : 70722 ft
United States

This is a basic and badly needed for safe flying.
Most of us have gimble tilt set very slow for cinematic recordings.
We need to quickly check below and forward.
2018-4-27
Use props
gcomfx
lvl.2
Flight distance : 119613 ft
United States

Bill-Fly Posted at 2018-4-27 04:14
This is a basic and badly needed for safe flying.
Most of us have gimble tilt set very slow for cinematic recordings.
We need to quickly check below and forward.

Agreed.  I used it every flight on the Spark.
2018-4-27
Use props
PS013
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3579409 ft
United States

Definition of gimble
-ed/-ing/-s
: to make a face : grimace

Definition of gimbal
: a device that permits a body to incline freely in any direction or suspends it so that it will remain level when its support is tipped
2018-4-27
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

gcomfx Posted at 2018-4-27 06:47
Agreed.  I used it every flight on the Spark.

It makes flying your drone the feeling of having more control and balance.
2018-4-27
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Thanks for your attention. I will forward your suggestion.
2018-4-29
Use props
CemAygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 810 ft
Turkey

Also, it would not hurt to change the gimbal slider in the app to a real  "position slider". Right now this slider is the only way for fast/emergency gimbal movements if you have set your controller dial to slow speed for cinematic reasons.  It is quite efficient, but it still works very much like physical slider on the RC, and you have to drag your finger all the way to the edges of the screen for some real speed.

It would be nice if you could drag the slider to a certain level to set the gimbal to that angle (as fast as possible)... This way we would have two complementing gimbal control options at our disposal...

Well, one can only dream ;)
2018-5-2
Use props
Bill B
lvl.4
Flight distance : 319245 ft
United States

Totally unnecessary, and of no value to my flying, thanks.
2018-5-2
Use props
Datadogie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 27028 ft
United Kingdom

I have custom button to level gimbal. Maybe DJI could make it double click for full down and single click for level. After all it's double click to switch on both drone and controller. So should not be hard to incorporate.
2018-6-8
Use props
Robothamster
lvl.3
Flight distance : 51135 ft
United Kingdom

Datadogie Posted at 2018-6-8 01:39
I have custom button to level gimbal. Maybe DJI could make it double click for full down and single click for level. After all it's double click to switch on both drone and controller. So should not be hard to incorporate.

That's how it was on the Spark, click the custom button to toggle from straight forward to straight down.

That's all we need really.
2018-6-8
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This would be good - surprised it only centres
2018-6-8
Use props
kovat53
lvl.4
Flight distance : 324521 ft
Hungary

I'm just willing to know, why could they do it on Spark (formerly I had), and why couldn't they make it possile on MA.
2018-9-18
Use props
Harvey Paran
lvl.2
Flight distance : 347707 ft
Philippines

This feature is really needed.
Especially when you want to check what's below your Mavic Air as quick as possible.

Hopefully, DJI implements this feature.
2018-9-26
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

maybe a few people who dont see this as a required feature because you can just rotate camera down or they dont shoot straight below them.... here's is a bit of news:  its also a safety feature.. being able to tap a button to have camera shoot straight down instantly so you can make a safe emergency landing in the event sh*t hits the fan and have to ditch the aircraft, dont want it to end up in the water, or on a roof, or in a tree or a bog or anything..  

for people who say its a pro feature... the spark has it...the most non pro drone that dji makes currently has it..   for people who say its a gimmick...is rear view mirrors or blind spot monitoring in your car a gimmick too?  for people who say hardware cant do it..have you seen the camera and gimbal..? literally a cutout for it to fit snuggly facing down and if you ever put speed to max its fast.  for those who say just turn the dial and let ti spin down..most of us have cinematic settings with alot of buffer and slow movements..not all of us set our gimbal to max speed or leave it as default, some of us..many of us shoot videos on it..
2019-2-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2-10 01:12
maybe a few people who dont see this as a required feature because you can just rotate camera down or they dont shoot straight below them.... here's is a bit of news:  its also a safety feature.. being able to tap a button to have camera shoot straight down instantly so you can make a safe emergency landing in the event sh*t hits the fan and have to ditch the aircraft, dont want it to end up in the water, or on a roof, or in a tree or a bog or anything..  

for people who say its a pro feature... the spark has it...the most non pro drone that dji makes currently has it..   for people who say its a gimmick...is rear view mirrors or blind spot monitoring in your car a gimmick too?  for people who say hardware cant do it..have you seen the camera and gimbal..? literally a cutout for it to fit snuggly facing down and if you ever put speed to max its fast.  for those who say just turn the dial and let ti spin down..most of us have cinematic settings with alot of buffer and slow movements..not all of us set our gimbal to max speed or leave it as default, some of us..many of us shoot videos on it..

I think for photography it’s a great feature and should not have been omitted from MavAir, however I don’t see it as adding any safety to the drone, you have a wheel that will turn your drone camera down in about 2 seconds, and if your that close to the ground or water then no button will help you.

But hopefully dji will implement if they can in future FW.
2019-2-10
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2-10 02:08
I think for photography it’s a great feature and should not have been omitted from MavAir, however I don’t see it as adding any safety to the drone, you have a wheel that will turn your drone camera down in about 2 seconds, and if your that close to the ground or water then no button will help you.

But hopefully dji will implement if they can in future FW.

definitely is a safety feature, even if it saves you 2 seconds.. every second can matter especially if its out of control. i know what you are saying, 2 seconds is nearly nothing especially at slower speeds, however what if 2 seconds means you not longer over land and now over water and wind isnt being friendly and battey is very weak, basically wrecked..

but more than that it adds a sense of safety too.. even if it adds very little actual safty, having it there remove worry and add confidence can help a lot of pilots.   it would help me, while very rare, i have on a few occasions had to consider ditching my aircraft and going to pick it up.. having this function would help me feel safer even if statistically speaking out of every emergency landings i have done, 0% has been a crash with or without it...with it just feels safer..

i would also ask for DJI to also as it gets very close to the ground like 1 foot or less to reset the gimbal back forward so doesn't plow lens into the dirt and scratch it up....but priorities...gimbal down shortcut would be good enough for now..
2019-2-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2-10 02:46
definitely is a safety feature, even if it saves you 2 seconds.. every second can matter especially if its out of control. i know what you are saying, 2 seconds is nearly nothing especially at slower speeds, however what if 2 seconds means you not longer over land and now over water and wind isnt being friendly and battey is very weak, basically wrecked..

but more than that it adds a sense of safety too.. even if it adds very little actual safty, having it there remove worry and add confidence can help a lot of pilots.   it would help me, while very rare, i have on a few occasions had to consider ditching my aircraft and going to pick it up.. having this function would help me feel safer even if statistically speaking out of every emergency landings i have done, 0% has been a crash with or without it...with it just feels safer..

Well all I can tell you is I have never worried that I didn’t have a button that turns camera down for any safety reasons, if two seconds means you could be over water or land but you don’t know it, then you shouldn’t be flying simple as that, it would be crazy to think that someone didn’t know if he/she was over water or land and you had less than two seconds to save your drone, I will always know that when using MavAir in order to see directly down I just need to turn wheel and if I’m going to hit water or land in water I’ve left it way to late and ignored all other telemetry.

This is not a safety button it was never intended as a safety button, I have never read of this being a safety button, I have never read of anyone who crashed but could have avoided crash if this was active in MavAir, I have never read of anyone who saved his craft from crashing due to having this button.

Just think about it, you say this is for safety, how safe is it first to be out of VLOS looking straight down while flying a drone, I’ll tell you if you don’t know what’s in front of you and your looking down you are much more likely to crash than save yourself.

How safe is it to be looking straight down while going forward not very safe, I would go as far as to say you need to be extremely careful of flying particularly out of VLOS with camera pointing down.
This button has nothing to do with safety and shouldn’t be depended on for any safety issues.
2019-2-10
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2-10 03:12
Well all I can tell you is I have never worried that I didn’t have a button that turns camera down for any safety reasons, if two seconds means you could be over water or land but you don’t know it, then you shouldn’t be flying simple as that, it would be crazy to think that someone didn’t know if he/she was over water or land and you had less than two seconds to save your drone, I will always know that when using MavAir in order to see directly down I just need to turn wheel and if I’m going to hit water or land in water I’ve left it way to late and ignored all other telemetry.

This is not a safety button it was never intended as a safety button, I have never read of this being a safety button, I have never read of anyone who crashed but could have avoided crash if this was active in MavAir, I have never read of anyone who saved his craft from crashing due to having this button.

if VLOS is the issue why they even offering live view in first place, just take that out along with it
2019-2-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2-10 03:25
if VLOS is the issue why they even offering live view in first place, just take that out along with it

Look it’s very simple yes it’s a good option to have for looking below and quickly framing photographs, it’s not a safety button and never was and probably is a button you need to be careful where you use or you will end up crashing, so can’t be considered as a safe anything.
2019-2-10
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2-10 04:02
Look it’s very simple yes it’s a good option to have for looking below and quickly framing photographs, it’s not a safety button and never was and probably is a button you need to be careful where you use or you will end up crashing, so can’t be considered as a safe anything.

pretty much sums up every other safty option too... if improperly used they are hazardous...like airbags arent very forgiving if misused...
2019-2-10
Use props
fans915fd7a9
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6790833 ft
  • >>>
Canada

ive been asking for this feature since it came out. I even made a post but its been long buried and ignored. Hope this gets somewhere......
2019-3-6
Use props
KREMi
lvl.4
  • >>>
Poland

let's see this time it will give us anytiong - would be nice for DJI to get customers request
2019-3-8
Use props
ShermanFlyer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 596896 ft
United States

Good luck with the request
2019-3-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules