Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Always check the trees.
1010 17 2018-4-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sky6105
lvl.4
Flight distance : 345653 ft
United States

I was playing with way points today on the Mavic Air. I knew what the heights of the trees were,  but I forgot about the one on the 6 foot high hill.
The mission flew perfect when it came up to that tree it stopped from the sensor, I thought it was the downward sensor so procceded
to manually go forward and the rest is history. The only way I found it was the firehouse stobe that I never fly without I seen it in the top of the tree flashing here I am.
I came back out no more strobe. I connected back up and now it was facing a different way.
Thanks to Mother Nature it got knocked down from the wind I seen the strobe in the lower brush. Cleaned it off checked the props and aircraft, no damage flew another mission just a lot higher perfect flight.
It was filming the crash all the time just a short video of the save.

2018-4-27
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ouch! That’s why waypoints in GO4 require you the fly the mission first so you know the route is safe. Lucky recovery and glad it didn’t smash to bits.  
2018-4-27
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi, I'm sorry to hear about the accident. Please check all the functions of the drone, if there is any damage, please feel free to contact our support to start a case and send it in for diagnosis: https://www.dji.com/support. Thanks!
2018-4-27
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Mother Nature it got knocked down from the wind I seen the strobe in the lower brush. Cleaned it off checked the props and aircraft, no damage

Lucky!  Very Lucky!!
Say you wouldn't like to make a trip to Las Vegas, to play 21?  
2018-4-27
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Lucky no damage to the drone Glad you got it back
2018-4-27
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

Ouch. Glad you recovered your bird.
2018-4-27
Use props
sky6105
lvl.4

DJI Diana Posted at 2018-4-27 18:51
Hi, I'm sorry to hear about the accident. Please check all the functions of the drone, if there is any damage, please feel free to contact our support to start a case and send it in for diagnosis: https://www.dji.com/support. Thanks!

Not an accident a lesson learned. Always check your surroundings and the height of your trees.
And mostly the sensors are there for a reason don't override them.
Thanks Diana.
2018-4-28
Use props
sky6105
lvl.4

A CW Posted at 2018-4-27 14:27
Ouch! That’s why waypoints in GO4 require you the fly the mission first so you know the route is safe. Lucky recovery and glad it didn’t smash to bits.

I don't think Litchi allows you to pre run the flight if it does I couldn't find it.
2018-4-28
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

sky6105 Posted at 2018-4-28 07:39
I don't think Litchi allows you to pre run the flight if it does I couldn't find it.

No it doesn't so to be super safe I found it best to do a manual dry run of the area yourself as part of the prep before setting the waypoints.
2018-4-28
Use props
sky6105
lvl.4

A CW Posted at 2018-4-28 08:34
No it doesn't so to be super safe I found it best to do a manual dry run of the area yourself as part of the prep before setting the waypoints.

I have taken your advice did a dry run then loaded the way point mission and everything went perfect.
ran the Orbit and a waypoint mission so far.

Thanks all.
Rudy
2018-4-28
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Here ia a short tutorial I did using Litchi & Google Earth to plan missions. This is how I plan all my missions in advance determining elevation(s) of objects ect...

https://forum.dji.com/thread-143791-1-1.html
2018-4-28
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

There you go. The issue doing it blind is that the maps may not be up to date either - new trees get planted, new houses built etc. which haven’t been updated. If you fly it first hand yourself then you can gauge the elevation and environment, note the angles and altitudes then set it all up in litchi to fly in waypoints with peace of mind that you’ve done everything you can to minimise the risk of a crash. Glad it worked for you.
2018-4-28
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-4-28 15:53
There you go. The issue doing it blind is that the maps may not be up to date either - new trees get planted, new houses built etc. which haven’t been updated. If you fly it first hand yourself then you can gauge the elevation and environment, note the angles and altitudes then set it all up in litchi to fly in waypoints with peace of mind that you’ve done everything you can to minimise the risk of a crash. Glad it worked for you.

Yeah I agree, we're lucky if Google Earth/Maps is updated once a year.
2018-4-28
Use props
M2Wair
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

You are not alone as I almost had an encounter with a tree today, missed it by pure luck, a close call. Too busy chatting and not looking at the display.

2018-4-28
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nice shot though mate - like the lake off set in the back ground behind the detail of the tree top! It’s always the unplanned ones that are the best.
2018-4-28
Use props
M2Wair
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

A CW Posted at 2018-4-28 16:08
Nice shot though mate - like the lake off set in the back ground behind the detail of the tree top! It’s always the unplanned ones that are the best.

lol not sure it was worth the tongue lashing I got for endangering her little drone.... w-a-t-c-h the tree you clown..... opps  I was looking at her chatting away she had her eye firmly on the drone, needless to say the controller was snatched from my grasp and no further instructional tips shown wanted or requested. I was in the doghouse lol.

I'm working on a video and will post later and when you see how close I got to her little drone in the air you can guess the outcome, she has a look that would turn you to stone, that's before she spits fireworks. Was a great day, we laughed like children, afterwards lol
2018-4-28
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

QuadKid Posted at 2018-4-28 16:04
Yeah I agree, we're lucky if Google Earth/Maps is updated once a year.

Exactly mate. I don't use litchi anymore but may download it again as already paid for
2018-4-28
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

M2Wair Posted at 2018-4-28 16:19
lol not sure it was worth the tongue lashing I got for endangering her little drone.... w-a-t-c-h the tree you clown..... opps  I was looking at her chatting away she had her eye firmly on the drone, needless to say the controller was snatched from my grasp and no further instructional tips shown wanted or requested. I was in the doghouse lol.

I'm working on a video and will post later and when you see how close I got to her little drone in the air you can guess the outcome, she has a look that would turn you to stone, that's before she spits fireworks. Was a great day, we laughed like children, afterwards lol

People often get very protective over their drones mate - especially the other half
2018-4-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules