Compass Calibration Error after Firmware 3.14 Update
9258 39 2015-5-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Godfrey
lvl.2

United States

Hi everyone,

I have a P2V+ V3, using an iPhone 6 Plus running iOS 8.3. I just updated to firmware 3.14 and started having errors that I have not seen with FW 3.08, 3.10 and 3.12:

1) Every time I calibrate the compass, I get a "connection to phantom failed" error message.
2) I would also get the red flashing on the rear lights indicating a failed compass calibration.
3) The only way to resolve it in the flying field is to power cycle the phantom, the RE and the RC. Also, turn off/on the DJI app.

I have tried reinstalling the DJI drivers and PT2 Assistant in my computer, re-update the firmware, have tried 3 different batteries, have re-binded the RE but everytime I calibrate the compass, I still get the same error. Curiously enough, the Phantom still knows where its "front" is.

All other firmwares, app and software are up to date so I'm out of ideas. Any thoughts on how I may be able  to solve the problem is welcome.

Best regards,
Godfrey

IMG_6803.jpg
IMG_6806.jpg
2015-5-9
Use props
roy
Second Officer

United States

You may want to try and degaussing the compass. If you have a small magnet or a really good magnetic screwdriver wave the over the face of the compass and then in a circular motion. This will cause the compass the have to recalibrate and may let you do a proper calibration. If you need you can look up videos on you tube that show how this simple process is done. Hope this fixes her for you.
2015-5-10
Use props
PanamonCreel
lvl.4

Mexico

Check your compass values with the assistant software to see if there is a compass issue to begin with. Also remember to avoid anything magnetic or ferromagnetic in the vicinity when calibrating.
2015-5-10
Use props
Godfrey
lvl.2

China

PanamonCreel Posted at 2015-5-10 21:04
Check your compass values with the assistant software to see if there is a compass issue to begin wi ...

Hi Panamon, thank you for your advice. I just connected the phantom to the computer and PT2 Assistant reports:

Gyroscope: X 0.2 : Y -0.2 : Z -0.1 : Mod 0.3
Acceleration: X 0.00 : Y 0.00 : Z -1.00 : Mod 1.00
Compass: X -293 : Y 182 : Z 152 : Mod 1495.8

In addition, I took it out for a short 7 minute flight today. When I calibrated the compass, I got the same error message. After I power cycled the Phantom, the RC and RE everything looked normal again. Took off and lost wifi connection at about 54 meters high and 30 meters distance. Hovering blind, I turned off the DJI app, reconnected the wifi on my iPhone, turned on the app and successfully reconnected to the camera. Flew out to 235 meters and 86 meters high. I tried HL, CL. It responded flawlessly. I never lost control of the craft. The video camera recorded the whole flight.
2015-5-10
Use props
Godfrey
lvl.2

China

roy@mcscomputer Posted at 2015-5-10 20:12
You may want to try and degaussing the compass. If you have a small magnet or a really good magnetic ...

Hi Roy, thank you for replying. I must admit I'm not familiar with the subject of degaussing the compass. I'll look it up to understand it more before trying.
2015-5-10
Use props
PanamonCreel
lvl.4

Mexico

Godfrey Posted at 2015-5-10 22:27
Hi Panamon, thank you for your advice. I just connected the phantom to the computer and PT2 Assist ...

So your compass is good and doesn't need degaussing.
Are you in Phantom or Naza mode?
2015-5-10
Use props
Godfrey
lvl.2

China

PanamonCreel Posted at 2015-5-10 22:46
So your compass is good and doesn't need degaussing.
Are you in Phantom or Naza mode?

I'm in NAZA Mode. I just checked my flight log. I've had 21 flights from the same spot. No compass calibration related error before so I think it is safe to eliminate external/sub-ground steel structures as a probable cause of the errors.  
2015-5-10
Use props
PanamonCreel
lvl.4

Mexico

Godfrey Posted at 2015-5-10 23:08
I'm in NAZA Mode. I just checked my flight log. I've had 21 flights from the same spot. No compass ...

The red LED can also indicate errors other than Compass and I would be very cautious with your problem symptoms on systems that are not directly related. Take a close look at cables and connectors since issues on one of the Canbus communication lines can result in some odd things happening
2015-5-10
Use props
Godfrey
lvl.2

China

PanamonCreel Posted at 2015-5-10 23:22
The red LED can also indicate errors other than Compass and I would be very cautious with your pro ...

I was trying to avoid having to open up the phantom as I've had it for only 5 months. Anyway, I sent DJI Support an e-mail about this problem. Let's see what they say. Thanks again
2015-5-10
Use props
Sparrowhawk
lvl.1

Belgium

Godfrey Posted at 2015-5-11 07:45
I was trying to avoid having to open up the phantom as I've had it for only 5 months. Anyway, I se ...

Hello Godfrey;

I have the same issue after software upgrade.
Same story and the same issue : fast RED LED blocking after compass calibration (and not YELLOW -RED).
For me:
Re-set the NAZAM software.
Re-install all software and firmware didn't help.
IMU Advanced calibrations were successfully performed but don't resolve the problem.
Compass calibration on different locations ... but same story : FAILED
Degaussing the compass + IMU Advanced calibration: Problem not solved.

Did you received already some feedback from DJI?
2015-5-28
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11099 ft
United States

Sparrowhawk Posted at 2015-5-29 01:02
Hello Godfrey;

Step 5 from the NAZA manual states the following:

5. If the calibration was successful, calibration mode will exit automatically. If the LED keeps flashing quickly Red, the calibration has failed. Switch the control mode switch one time to cancel the calibration, and then re-start from step 2.

After calibration mode, mine goes immediately into GPS mode with LED flashes indicating the number of sattelites it is detecting, which is usually 1 green flash and 3 red flashes
2015-5-28
Use props
Sparrowhawk
lvl.1

Belgium

Raybro Posted at 2015-5-29 01:22
Step 5 from the NAZA manual states the following:

5. If the calibration was successful, calibrati ...

Hello Raybro
Thanks for the reply.
sorry, but your input is beside the question.
I knowing well the step 5 procedure your mentioned. (unfortunatly)

My problem stays with the result of the compass calibration : RED LED blinking non stop (until you stop it with the toggle witch procedure as described in step5)

Other battery: No help
IMU advanced calibration: No help

2015-5-28
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
United States

If you connect the Phantom to the assistant software does it indicate any errors? The last time I got red leds I checked it with the assistant and it said there was a compass error. My compass has gotten wet from a landing in shallow water.
2015-5-28
Use props
Godfrey
lvl.2

United States

Hello Godfrey;

Hi Sparrowhawk, sad to say I have not received any reply from DJI. The folks here in the forum were quicker to lend a helping hand. Like I said, I am  able to fly my unit normally after I power cycle it. So unless I really have to Calibrate the compass like if you get an error message or so, I do away with the nuisance that it brings. I use a third party app that shows Home location and the direction the phantom is facing on a satellite view screen so as long as the app says home location is locked and the phantom knows where its front is, I take off and have fun flying. I'm not saying you should follow my example but if you do decide to fly with a crippled bird, make sure you fly somwhere you can't hurt people or damage property in case you loose control and crash. Cheers
2015-5-29
Use props
Sparrowhawk
lvl.1

Belgium

Raybro Posted at 2015-5-29 04:11
If you connect the Phantom to the assistant software does it indicate any errors? The last time I go ...

Hello Raybro,
No, assistant software reveals no errors.
That's what is so bizarre.
Statement: There is an mismatch between the DJI assistant soft ( calibration module) and the NAZAM module + hardware. Why ? No detection of compass issues during IMU calibration.
Result: We are flying with an unstable drone. Dangerous!

Coming back to your last question.....
All my IMU 's advanced calibrations pass always succesfull.

I have still an old compass on my Phantom 2 vision plus.
I start think that DJI 's new firmware 3.12 and 3.14 isn't 100% compatible with this old compass.
I contacted my reseller.... we will replace the old compass with the new version next week.
(have my Phantom 2 vision plus now early 1 year old and made already so many nice flight)
Ah, software updated ...
2015-5-29
Use props
Sparrowhawk
lvl.1

Belgium

Hello Godfrey;

Godfrey, ... your are still alive?
2015-5-29
Use props
Godfrey
lvl.2

United States

Sparrowhawk Posted at 2015-5-29 23:25
Godfrey, ... your are still alive?

Ha ha ha. Yeah. Still alive  and kickin! Problems like this don't stop me from doing what I like to do. You  fix it or live with it. No point bashing DJI either as we already know their service group's reputation. No surprises there either Cheers
2015-5-29
Use props
JtrJr-Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

Sparrowhawk Posted at 2015-5-29 23:22
Hello Raybro,

Sparrow,

"I start think that DJI 's new firmware 3.12 and 3.14 isn't 100% compatible with this old compass."

Very interesting thought. I stayed on 3.12 but want to make the jump while the weather is so crappy. I'm super paranoid doing the upgrade since my bird has been working so well on 3.12. I sure wish that DJI or even Tahoe Ed would chime in on this one. I read all posts and this seems to be a really sore spot. Hope you get yours sorted. For now, I'm staying on 3.12. Tahoe Ed, chime in. In the end it helps everyone. We're not looking for perfection, just thoughts and answers.

Jerry

Jerry
2015-5-29
Use props
Sparrowhawk
lvl.1

Belgium

Godfrey Posted at 2015-5-29 23:15
Hi Sparrowhawk, sad to say I have not received any reply from DJI. The folks here in the forum wer ...

Hey Godfrey ,
Well done! You are really alive.
Thanks for the wise counsel.
You're right .. life is more than only DJI
Kind regards,

Marcel
2015-5-29
Use props
Sparrowhawk
lvl.1

Belgium

JtrJr-Droner Posted at 2015-5-30 00:16
Sparrow,

"I start think that DJI 's new firmware 3.12 and 3.14 isn't 100% compatible with this ol ...

Also to Jerry, thanks voor the reply.
Yes, stay with your software version .... and fly like a birth!
Wise decision.

Kind regards,

Marcel
2015-5-29
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
United States

Sparrowhawk Posted at 2015-5-29 04:00
Hello Raybro
Thanks for the reply.
sorry, but your input is beside the question.

I made a trip across the state this weekend to see relatives and took my Phantom. I was having some of the same issues with compass calibration myself. On the horizontal spin I would get green LEDs, then on the vertical spin I would get Red flashing Leds. After several retries I would get Red LEDs flashes, then a green indicating satellite/GPS mode. This has got to be something to do with the 3.14 update. I have not had this issue before.
2015-6-1
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
United States

Sparrowhawk Posted at 2015-5-29 23:22
Hello Raybro,

I made a trip across the state this weekend to see relatives and took my Phantom. I was having some of the same issues with compass calibration myself. On the horizontal spin I would get green LEDs, then on the vertical spin I would get Red flashing Leds. After several retries I would get Red LEDs flashes, then a green indicating satellite/GPS mode. This has got to be something to do with the 3.14 update. I have not had this issue before.
2015-6-1
Use props
Sparrowhawk
lvl.1

Belgium

Raybro Posted at 2015-6-2 00:12
I made a trip across the state this weekend to see relatives and took my Phantom. I was having som ...

Hello Raybro,

I have still no solution for this issue.
Have to visit my dealer. I wonders what he can do.
Should be planned end of this week.

Did 3 flight sessions on a new location. Really in the middle of nowhere..
No interference possible.
Calibration result not successful (as you mentioned).
Nevertheless, took the decision to do some observation flight sessions: GPS MODE
The Phantom was responsive, no anomalies , but I was quite stressy ...
That s what's happens if you loosen the confidence in your drone..
Greets from Belgium.  
2015-6-2
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
United States

JtrJr-Droner Posted at 2015-5-30 00:16
Sparrow,

"I start think that DJI 's new firmware 3.12 and 3.14 isn't 100% compatible with this ol ...

so here is Tahoe_Ed's response:
If you think that DJI does not care then you are wrong.  We are adding employees daily.  Once you add them you have to train them, that part takes some time.  I assume that when you get someone on the phone that you expect them to be competent.  So do we.  There are many Phantom service centers in the US and around the world.  The issue is that they cannot do warranty service.  We took that back because of abuses by the dealer network.  Now all warranty repairs have to be done by DJI.  
2015-6-2
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
United States

Sparrowhawk Posted at 2015-6-3 02:25
Hello Raybro,

I have still no solution for this issue.

I would say that out of 6 calibrations I have 1 that fails, and I never had that before. Depends on what manual you look at but originally it states when the compass calibration fails, you will get alternating yellow and red leds. I have never gotten that. My Phantom is in NAZA mode and since I have upgraded it to 3.14 I get flashing red leds. When I get a good compass calibration I get a series of 3 red flashes then fast green flashes for about 3 seconds, then 3 red and 1 green  indicating satellite status. So I am assuming it is a good calibration.
I used to get a green flash, then 3 reds and a green after calibration, no more.
2015-6-2
Use props
tom
lvl.2
Flight distance : 186549 ft
Italy

same problem here... solutions?
2015-6-5
Use props
ivianiac
New

United States

I think the red flash is un-related to the calibration, the only LED combination that indicates a failed calibration is RED and Yellow alternating.

The red flash you are seeing is probably the "Return to normal LED operation" after calibration succeeds. Try getting a GPS lock first, then doing the calibration, you should then see "normal" led flashes after calibration.
2015-6-5
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
United States

ivianiac@gmail. Posted at 2015-6-6 04:14
I think the red flash is un-related to the calibration, the only LED combination that indicates a fa ...

I'll give her a try, never thought of that. Thanks.
2015-6-5
Use props
Sparrowhawk
lvl.1

Belgium

Raybro Posted at 2015-6-6 04:50
I'll give her a try, never thought of that. Thanks.

Hello guy's

To ivianiac : Sorry, but your reply is beside the question.
My problem has nothing to do with GPS lock , or Home lock , whatever ...
Confirm that my phantom was in Home lock and more than 7 satellites  ....than doing the compass calibration ....this doesn't change the final result.

I'm promised to reply with feedback after my support assistance:
What he did:
Checked compass with the DJI Assistance software on his computer.
He confirmed that the compass was alike working.
We did and compass calibration outside: FAILED .... non stop RED blinking.
He changed the compass with another new one. (attention here: Check it's right for the Phantom vision 2 vision plus)
We did once again the compass calibration (he recommend to do it counterclockwise) :  Compass calibration was successful.

This morning, did already 3 nice flights with my phantom vision.
Seems OK. The drone is stable as a rock. (wind : 25  @ 30Km/h)

Conclusion:
Replace your compass with a new one.
2015-6-7
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
United States

Sparrowhawk Posted at 2015-6-7 20:03
Hello guy's

To ivianiac : Sorry, but your reply is beside the question.

Sparrowhawk,
I was thinking about doing just that. Thanks for following up and letting us know. I will see about replacing the compass. Happy flying!
2015-6-7
Use props
joaquinfa
lvl.1
  • >>>
Argentina

Raybro Posted at 2015-6-7 20:23
Sparrowhawk,
I was thinking about doing just that. Thanks for following up and letting us know. I  ...

Hello people.
Fatal system error Phantom 2 vision+ V 3

I still with the same issue.  any suggestion before call DJI ?

red light "SYSTEM ERROR" displayed on the app after update to 3.14

that day i forgot the MSD card, so I tought that maybe was the problem.

next day I insert the MSD card and i used for 25 minutes (2 batterys), starting to loose signal with the RC (just 100 mts away) (I calibrate it in 2 different places)

the 2nd time after the update firmware. impossible to have green light. I calibrate the compass many times.
only green lights for the horizontal cal. but for the vertical nose cal. just yellow lights.

I try and change 5 different batterys.
2 different msd cards.
and re-calibrate it manualy and from the app. IMPOSSIBLE.

And the most crazy thing: standing outside in the snow, with the drone over a box or in my hand, if I touch the left corner beside the battery it show me green light "ready to fly". I take off my hand and again red light "System error".

Now I start another PC windows 7, download all the drivers, instal the assistance and re upgrade the 3.14 version. the same thing for the RC.

one more time the same issue.
I never crash, never hard landings. just 5 flights (batterys)

Thanks for your time.

Regards

2015-6-30
Use props
giaruso
lvl.1
Flight distance : 5581 ft
United States

I have The Phantom 2 Vision + updated to the latest firmware and software A/O 09/29/2015.  I am having compass calibration issue almost exactly as yours.  The "horizontal" portion of the calibration does exactly what it is supposed to.  It's the "nose down" part that doesn't work.  I've tried it in two locations (Oceanside, CA) about five miles apart.  Same thing.  However, after messing with the S1 switch, and/or disconnecting the Wi-Fi and reconnecting, I get the normal "Ready to Fly" message via the little RTF green light in the cell phone display and the rear LEDs of the Phantom are flashing green normally.  I then went ahead and flew the phantom via "ground station" with the waypoints, NO PROBLEM.   It's stressful enough flying my Phantom and wondering if it will come back, but to have Compass Calibration errors is really messing with my head and my nervous system.  Any help here would be well appreciated.  By the way, I've had my Phantom for over a year now.  I am just recently getting serious about flying it.  It's a wonderful device if only . . . .   Anyone want to see my latest flight, it's up on YouTube at this link:  
2015-9-29
Use props
giaruso
lvl.1
Flight distance : 5581 ft
United States

roy@mcscomputer Posted at 2015-5-10 05:12
You may want to try and degaussing the compass. If you have a small magnet or a really good magnetic ...

Where is the compass!
2015-10-1
Use props
marpla78
New

Argentina

hi all...any news on this problem...i got the same...red flashing lights....no solution?
2015-11-7
Use props
javier.battigel
New
Flight distance : 6791 ft
Argentina

any news?? i have the same problem!
2015-11-18
Use props
roy
Second Officer

United States

giaruso Posted at 2015-10-1 15:45
Where is the compass!

The compass is on the leg. It's the little box with the cable and plug in it about 2/3 way down foremost leg. Two legs have an antenna one has compass and one with nothing.
2015-11-23
Use props
sq7nnj
New

Poland

I have the same issue after software upgrade. Is there a possibilities to downgrade P2 firmware?
2015-11-26
Use props
andyrichyhollan
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I'm having the same issue too with my Phantom 2 Vision + v3.0.

Flying perfectly until I updated firmware to 3.14; now getting constant 'System Error' messages.

If the compass is no longer compatible with the latest firmware (as posts above suggest), shouldn't DJI be informing us of this before allowing us to upgrade?
2015-12-24
Use props
m.duff
lvl.1
Flight distance : 29478 ft
United Kingdom

hi all, had the same prob, compass would just not calibrate, did as Sparrowhawk  sed and all is well,  thanks sparrow man,,,,,,,
2016-3-10
Use props
liftechengineer
New

Myanmar

Hello, I've same problem with that. But I've solved after compass replaced, calibration was successful.
2016-3-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules