There are 2 types of drone pilots
1486 39 2018-4-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans4ee4a121
lvl.3
Canada

1. The Fanboy, this person has all the accessories and follows ever DJI suggestion and drone law like their religion, this person also gets mad when someone barely breaks one of those rules and never wants to damage the drone
2. The regular person.This person probably has an extra battery and a case but that is it for accessories, this person will do anything or at least risk a lot for the shot, this person fly's by common sense and not by the book, this person is also one of the non annoying people on the forum
2018-4-28
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

How many batteries do you own? LOL
2018-4-28
Use props
fans4ee4a121
lvl.3
Canada

A CW Posted at 2018-4-28 16:51

I just have 2
2018-4-28
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

The second person is a photographer and doesn't really use common sense but brushes all aside to get the shot because of the money and/or fame they will earn.  The guy who follows the rules just wishes people wouldn't post their flights where they break the RC model hobbyist range law.  Posting the blatant disregard for air safety to the government bodies that control the airspace, if not directly.

Or do we think lawmakers, thinking up new laws to justify their paychecks, don't know how to use google and youtube?
2018-4-28
Use props
MavicIsMe
lvl.2
Flight distance : 45072 ft

The 2nd person rationalizes their misbehavior by calling themselves a "regular person" instead of the jerk they really are.  I saw your other posting where you yelled at people who criticized you for chasing animals with your drone.  Instead of doing that, how about spending some time rereading the 3rd grade books you skipped on how to write and punctuate correctly?
2018-4-28
Use props
fans4ee4a121
lvl.3
Canada

MavicIsMe Posted at 2018-4-28 18:49
The 2nd person rationalizes their misbehavior by calling themselves a "regular person" instead of the jerk they really are.  I saw your other posting where you yelled at people who criticized you for chasing animals with your drone.  Instead of doing that, how about spending some time rereading the 3rd grade books you skipped on how to write and punctuate correctly?

First off I wasn't yelling and second I was just proving how chasing animals is fine
2018-4-28
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-4-28 17:43
The second person is a photographer and doesn't really use common sense but brushes all aside to get the shot because of the money and/or fame they will earn.  The guy who follows the rules just wishes people wouldn't post their flights where they break the RC model hobbyist range law.  Posting the blatant disregard for air safety to the government bodies that control the airspace, if not directly.

Or do we think lawmakers, thinking up new laws to justify their paychecks, don't know how to use google and youtube?

Pretty sure most of our lawmakers don't know how to use Google or Youtube, and rely on their staff, that we pay for.  
Not even sure some of them can walk and chew gum at same time.  
One thing is for sure.  They know how to take money, and they know how to spend other people's money!  
2018-4-28
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

#3 - Pilots who do follow rules (or try their best too).  Are not Fanboys.  Do not want to intentionally damage their drone.  At same time does not baby their drone.  Instead they fly their drone for fun and/or also utilizes their drone.  Usage may include pictures, reconnaissance (legal), or inspection.

2018-4-28
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-4-28 17:43

The second person is a photographer and doesn't really use common sense but brushes all aside to get the shot because of the money and/or fame they will earn.

I had a run in with such *&#$, while Scuba diving.  The diving photog swam over top of me going through a coral reef cave.  Kicking me in face with his flippers, knocking my mask off and regulator out of my mouth.  Along with stirring up sand and silt as he went forward and down.  All for greed of pristine set of photos.

When we got back to boat, we had words.  Enough ''words'', that he started appologizing profusely.  I made it very clear to him, had it been one of other divers on boat, his actions very likely would have led to a dead diver.  
2018-4-28
Use props
MavicIsMe
lvl.2
Flight distance : 45072 ft

Drone pilots are a very small part of the population.  We're outnumbered by a very VERY large number of non-pilots who already have a negative opinion about drones.  That's a big reason why this forum's members post so many things about flying respectfully and following the guidelines of safety for pilots, non-pilots, traffic, structures, and yes - animals..  People see your video of chasing wildlife or your postings trying to defend it and it just further cements their negative opinions.   You claim to be a "regular guy".  A REAL regular guy would say, "I'm sorry folks, I hadn't considered that chasing those deer would offend lots of  people.  You won't see any more videos with me doing that."
2018-4-28
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Which are You?
2018-4-28
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

3. The.... - this person has absolutely no regard for the reason why drone regulations exist. They selfishly consider the airspace their play ground and don’t realise that what they are doing can endanger people, property and large animals as their drone isn’t a toy. They are irresponsible and the core reason why aviation authorities and governments impose such restrictions in the first place which impacts on the rest of the drone community. They are the most annoying of all as they often create unnecessary arguments on the forum, come on here for 5 minutes then disappear just as quick - like trolls on YouTube. They usually crash their drone quite soon after spending all of their life savings on buying it and obviously blame DJI for their own carelessness before asking the ‘fan boys’ for their help. They’re asked to post the flight logs but they initially don’t know what you mean by that. When the flight logs are eventually downloaded they refuse to accept that the opinion of 10 experienced drone pilots who have been flying multiple drones for years is correct and become rude and personal rather than accept pilot error as the cause - often getting banned from the forum. Yeah, there are quite a few ‘types’ for sure! And they usually only own 2 batteries because their credit card limit couldn’t stretch to the fly more combo. They also copy the likes of Neistat by throwing away the manual and taking off in congested areas and stressing out wild animals with their drone for fun as that’s the cool thing for any 'regular person' to do, right? Wrong! ;)   
2018-4-29
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

And there is only one type of idiot.  
2018-4-29
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

i do not like this post as it comes across as falsely accusatory (is that a word?), inexplicable defensive, factually incorrect and clearly incomplete. I am neither a fan boy (by the above definition) nor a regular person (by that definition) - yet with over 2000km flight distance i am a drone pilot. it's Ok though - thanks i do not need a category to fall into. i hope you get your issue sorted out, what ever it is.
2018-4-29
Use props
ghostrdr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
United States

A regular person... lol. More like a jerk!
2018-4-29
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

Kind of missed the point of having an aircraft with a camera.... photography.  There's those of us who spend hours planning a trip for a photo opportunity because we like to take PICTURES or videos.  Hobbyist, amateur, or professional, this is the reason that many have become pilots.   
2018-4-29
Use props
Brad Bilger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14843274 ft

Bekaru MP UAV Posted at 2018-4-29 01:13
i do not like this post as it comes across as falsely accusatory (is that a word?), inexplicable defensive, factually incorrect and clearly incomplete. I am neither a fan boy (by the above definition) nor a regular person (by that definition) - yet with over 2000km flight distance i am a drone pilot. it's Ok though - thanks i do not need a category to fall into. i hope you get your issue sorted out, what ever it is.

Thank you.  I was reading the original article and trying to figure out where I fit in the grand scheme of things.  

I am not a "Fanboy"  I don't have all the accessories.  I read DJI suggestions and drone laws and I follow the majority of them.  Yes, I fly beyond VLOS at times.  Woo Hoo.  I fly near airports.  (Ok, The ones that are dirt strips, with trees in the middle that haven't seen a plane in 20 years but are STILL on the FAA Listing).  I don't get mad when someone breaks the rules EXCEPT when they do something STUPID like fly into a stadium full of people, or fly in the approach path of landing Aircraft or fly in the middle of a crowded city.  BUT I never want to damage my drone.  I'm 61 years old, I spent a LOT of money for my hobby and I want to protect my investment.  (I think that I've done a good job.  3.5 MILLION Feet and never a crash or incident) So That doesn't make me a Fanboy.  

Option #2.  The "Regular" Person.  Extra battery pack.  Hmmm.. I got 3 batteries.  Where does that put me??  They have a case to store things.  Yeah, I got that.  I'm using an old camera bag that I used to keep my *35mm camera and equipment in.  "This person will do anything, or at least risk a lot for the shot.."  OH HELL NO!!  I'm gonna protect my drone.  A regular person will do this??  No, an IDIOT will do that.  "This person is one of the 'Non annoying' people on the forum?"  

Excuse me.. I'm an old, retired firefighter/paramedic.  I've spent 40+ years helping people out of critical situations where they "Risked a lot" for something stupid.  I hate being lumped into someones idea of reality when that person has no idea what they are talking about.  

*For those of you that have no idea, 35mm was the top of the line film format prior to cameras going digital.  I figure that some here are "Too young" to remember those days.  
2018-4-29
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

Brad Bilger Posted at 2018-4-29 05:36
Thank you.  I was reading the original article and trying to figure out where I fit in the grand scheme of things.  

I am not a "Fanboy"  I don't have all the accessories.  I read DJI suggestions and drone laws and I follow the majority of them.  Yes, I fly beyond VLOS at times.  Woo Hoo.  I fly near airports.  (Ok, The ones that are dirt strips, with trees in the middle that haven't seen a plane in 20 years but are STILL on the FAA Listing).  I don't get mad when someone breaks the rules EXCEPT when they do something STUPID like fly into a stadium full of people, or fly in the approach path of landing Aircraft or fly in the middle of a crowded city.  BUT I never want to damage my drone.  I'm 61 years old, I spent a LOT of money for my hobby and I want to protect my investment.  (I think that I've done a good job.  3.5 MILLION Feet and never a crash or incident) So That doesn't make me a Fanboy.  

i remember those days, not so long ago.
How far technology has advanced in half a life time - i love it.
Kodak 4 flash bulbs - big and heavy lead batteries.

2018-4-29
Use props
Brad Bilger
Second Officer

Bekaru MP UAV Posted at 2018-4-29 06:19
i remember those days, not so long ago.
How far technology has advanced in half a life time - i love it.
Kodak 4 flash bulbs - big and heavy lead batteries.

LOL.. I started with a Yashica 635, Twin Lens running 120 film and my last was a Canon A-1, Motor Drive with 3 lenses.  and yes, I remember those monster flash bulbs that melted when you fired them off.  
2018-4-29
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

A CW Posted at 2018-4-29 00:40
3. The.... - this person has absolutely no regard for the reason why drone regulations exist. They selfishly consider the airspace their play ground and don’t realise that what they are doing can endanger people, property and large animals as their drone isn’t a toy. They are irresponsible and the core reason why aviation authorities and governments impose such restrictions in the first place which impacts on the rest of the drone community. They are the most annoying of all as they often create unnecessary arguments on the forum, come on here for 5 minutes then disappear just as quick - like trolls on YouTube. They usually crash their drone quite soon after spending all of their life savings on buying it and obviously blame DJI for their own carelessness before asking the ‘fan boys’ for their help. They’re asked to post the flight logs but they initially don’t know what you mean by that. When the flight logs are eventually downloaded they refuse to accept that the opinion of 10 experienced drone pilots who have been flying multiple drones for years is correct and become rude and personal rather than accept pilot error as the cause - often getting banned from the forum. Yeah, there are quite a few ‘types’ for sure! And they usually only own 2 batteries because their credit card limit couldn’t stretch to the fly more combo. They also copy the likes of Neistat by throwing away the manual and taking off in congested areas and stressing out wild animals with their drone for fun as that’s the cool thing for any 'regular person' to do, right? Wrong! ;)

Fully agree with you Andy. Some Guys have no consideration for others
2018-4-29
Use props
Folkestone
First Officer
Flight distance : 843199 ft

I have 2 batteries and follow the laws. I don’t take foolish risks but I do tend to get the shots I want. Some of them are unobtainable but that’s life.

What does that make me?
2018-4-29
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

I was trying to stay out of this tread but since I replied in his first video I am putting my 2 cents in.
I want to start by thanking the following.
Suren ,A CW, John the Boss, Hedge Trimmer, Web Parrot, Bekaru, Brad, MaviclsMe. and there are others to numerous to mention.
You guys are true Drone pilots with the knowledge and insight to give advise.
Good advise is hard to come by so when it is given ...Take it.

2018-4-29
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Folkestone Posted at 2018-4-29 09:45
I have 2 batteries and follow the laws. I don’t take foolish risks but I do tend to get the shots I want. Some of them are unobtainable but that’s life.

What does that make me?

A normal Guy in my Book
2018-4-29
Use props
Brad Bilger
Second Officer

B1houdini Posted at 2018-4-29 09:50
I was trying to stay out of this tread but since I replied in his first video I am putting my 2 cents in.
I want to start by thanking the following.
Suren ,A CW, John the Boss, Hedge Trimmer, Web Parrot, Bekaru, Brad, MaviclsMe. and there are others to numerous to mention.

Actually, you got my curiosity going with your comment about his first video, so I looked it up.  And I see what you were talking about.  And I totally agree with you.
So we follow the rules.  Big deal.  We are trying to protect this hobby.  We are trying to present a good image to the public to protect and preserve this activity.  So is that so bad???
2018-4-29
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

A CW Posted at 2018-4-28 16:51

I only have 1 battery for the Mavic Pro and several for the Spark. I like the Fan Boy reference, and admit I don't know any personally but that's not a bad thing. LOL :-)
2018-4-29
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>

A CW Posted at 2018-4-29 00:40
3. The.... - this person has absolutely no regard for the reason why drone regulations exist. They selfishly consider the airspace their play ground and don’t realise that what they are doing can endanger people, property and large animals as their drone isn’t a toy. They are irresponsible and the core reason why aviation authorities and governments impose such restrictions in the first place which impacts on the rest of the drone community. They are the most annoying of all as they often create unnecessary arguments on the forum, come on here for 5 minutes then disappear just as quick - like trolls on YouTube. They usually crash their drone quite soon after spending all of their life savings on buying it and obviously blame DJI for their own carelessness before asking the ‘fan boys’ for their help. They’re asked to post the flight logs but they initially don’t know what you mean by that. When the flight logs are eventually downloaded they refuse to accept that the opinion of 10 experienced drone pilots who have been flying multiple drones for years is correct and become rude and personal rather than accept pilot error as the cause - often getting banned from the forum. Yeah, there are quite a few ‘types’ for sure! And they usually only own 2 batteries because their credit card limit couldn’t stretch to the fly more combo. They also copy the likes of Neistat by throwing away the manual and taking off in congested areas and stressing out wild animals with their drone for fun as that’s the cool thing for any 'regular person' to do, right? Wrong! ;)

Oh yeah, I forgot about these types. LOL
2018-4-29
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-4-29 11:45
I only have 1 battery for the Mavic Pro and several for the Spark. I like the Fan Boy reference, and admit I don't know any personally but that's not a bad thing. LOL :-)

Yeah, my question was to the OP Dave - I was being sarcastic mate - it's obvious he had two!
2018-4-29
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-4-29 11:47
Oh yeah, I forgot about these types. LOL

Yeah, and I don't know any personally and I hope it stays that way LOL
2018-4-29
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Brad Bilger Posted at 2018-4-29 05:36

I am not a "Fanboy"  I don't have all the accessories.  I read DJI suggestions and drone laws and I follow the majority of them.  Yes, I fly beyond VLOS at times.  Woo Hoo.  I fly near airports.  (Ok, The ones that are dirt strips, with trees in the middle that haven't seen a plane in 20 years but are STILL on the FAA Listing).  I don't get mad when someone breaks the rules EXCEPT when they do something STUPID like fly into a stadium full of people, or fly in the approach path of landing Aircraft or fly in the middle of a crowded city.  BUT I never want to damage my drone.  I'm 61 years old, I spent a LOT of money for my hobby and I want to protect my investment.  (I think that I've done a good job.  3.5 MILLION Feet and never a crash or incident) So That doesn't make me a Fanboy.  

(Ok, The ones that are dirt strips, with trees in the middle that  haven't seen a plane in 20 years but are STILL on the FAA Listing).  

That is an issue that needs to be dealt with.  There is supposedly an Airport near me.  Yeah, a farm field that once had a dirt runway.
This supposed ''Airport'' does not appear to have any hangers.  There is metal building that could be used as a hanger, if you could get a plane over a long rock & dirt pile between building and once dirt runway.  The ''Airport'' says it is private and you must call before landing.

Essentially got a person with a private ''Airport'' who F.A.A. is granting a 5-mile radius of airspace too.  

2018-4-29
Use props
Brad Bilger
Second Officer

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-4-29 12:30
(Ok, The ones that are dirt strips, with trees in the middle that  haven't seen a plane in 20 years but are STILL on the FAA Listing).  

That is an issue that needs to be dealt with.  There is supposedly an Airport near me.  Yeah, a farm field that once had a dirt runway.

We have several in the area.  Ranging from Open fields that maybe years ago had one plane land on it, BUT it's still listed with the FAA as an "Airport".  Heck, it's got TREES in the middle of the field now...   Some have shopping centers on them.  Heliports.  Every hospital in our area has one.  But none have a "Tower."  A couple of the Fire Departments have "Heliports" listed.  Ok.. one or two have landed there.  Heck, when I was a Firefighter, I landed helicopters on open fields, parking lots and in the middle of Freeways.  Does that make them a "Heliport."  Yes, FAA needs to clean out there files.  Until just recently, the VFR flight map for my area showed a Dragstrip as a visual reference...  Problem is, the Dragstrip was plowed under about 30 years ago.  LOL
2018-4-29
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Brad Bilger Posted at 2018-4-29 07:59
LOL.. I started with a Yashica 635, Twin Lens running 120 film and my last was a Canon A-1, Motor Drive with 3 lenses.  and yes, I remember those monster flash bulbs that melted when you fired them off.

Mine started with a camera I don't even remember name or model of.  Probably a Blue-Light special.

First serious camera was Minolta 7000 Maxxum, with standard prime lens & one zoom lens, and 4000 AF flash.
I got into it enough, I made a underwater housing for camera using a halogen flashlight to help camera auto-focus underwater, and housing for 4000 flash.  There were no wires entering housing of camera.  Commands were sent between camera and flash via IR LEDs and IR photo diodes.  Used two magnetic reed switches to activate focusing and take the picture, with magent outside housing tied to convenient trigger.

2018-4-29
Use props
Brad Bilger
Second Officer

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-4-29 12:46
Mine started with a camera I don't even remember name or model of.  Probably a Blue-Light special.

First serious camera was Minolta 7000 Maxxum, with standard prime lens & one zoom lens, and 4000 AF flash.

LOL.. My brother had a Yashica Rangefinder camera that he rigged up a Dive Case for.  1/2" Plexiglass with watertight controls to focus, shutter release and film advance.  Took it diving to 120'  Got to the bottom and realized that he'd forgotten to put the bolts through to seal the back on.  Luckily, the pressure of 120' of water kept the back sealed tight.  Not a drop of water inside.  He started a check list after that.. sorta like flying a drone..  
2018-4-29
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>

A CW Posted at 2018-4-29 11:48
Yeah, my question was to the OP Dave - I was being sarcastic mate - it's obvious he had two!

OK I figured as much - you're pretty funny though.
2018-4-29
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>

A CW Posted at 2018-4-29 11:49
Yeah, and I don't know any personally and I hope it stays that way LOL

Agreed LOL..
2018-4-29
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Brad Bilger Posted at 2018-4-29 13:10
LOL.. My brother had a Yashica Rangefinder camera that he rigged up a Dive Case for.  1/2" Plexiglass with watertight controls to focus, shutter release and film advance.  Took it diving to 120'  Got to the bottom and realized that he'd forgotten to put the bolts through to seal the back on.  Luckily, the pressure of 120' of water kept the back sealed tight.  Not a drop of water inside.  He started a check list after that.. sorta like flying a drone..

he'd forgotten to put the bolts through to seal the back on.  Luckily,

You got that right.  ''Luckily''

2018-4-29
Use props
akAir
lvl.1
United States

I thought the 2 types were those that have crashed their drones and those that will.
2018-4-29
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

Was really, really trying not to comment but. Not sure if I should be offended or amused. Yes i commented on the video chasing the deer. ( Cry me a river).  I can assure you that I am but one type of pilot. That"s a RESPONSIBLE PILOT. It's always the ones who don't follow the rules wonder way it's no where to fly. Yes you can break the rules but can you follow them. (OP). If this makes me a fanboy then so be it.
2018-4-29
Use props
EdM
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1491814 ft
  • >>>
United States

Brad Bilger Posted at 2018-4-29 07:59

Still got a twin lens setting on a shelf.   Still works if I only had the film and the darkroom setup again.

On the OP subject, not sure where I fit in.  If I am in the middle of nowhere then I am rather lax.   When I am around something that can be harmed sometimes my rules are more restrictive than what we normally fly under.
2018-4-29
Use props
fans4ee4a121
lvl.3
Canada

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-4-29 11:45
I only have 1 battery for the Mavic Pro and several for the Spark. I like the Fan Boy reference, and admit I don't know any personally but that's not a bad thing. LOL :-)

Finally someone who can take a joke
2018-5-6
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>

fans4ee4a121 Posted at 2018-5-6 10:02
Finally someone who can take a joke

Thanks, I try not to take myself too seriously except for of course my flying
2018-5-6
Use props