What if I fly into a no fly zone?
927 16 2018-4-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Just another drone guy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 875499 ft
Canada

So my question is what if you fly into a no fly zone? If I do will the aircraft land automatically or will it stop at the no fly zone?
2018-4-28
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

As it approaches the NFZ, you will get a warning on-screen. It is wise to heed this warning and back away. Because once the aircraft is inside the zone, it will land where it is. It will not return to home, but land. And if that happens to be over water, then kiss your aircraft goodbye.
2018-4-28
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

My experience has been that the AC stops at the edge of the NFZ as if hitting a rubber wall.  

The exception is if the AC loses satellites and goes into ATTI as it enters the NFZ and then regains satellites and finds itself in an NFZ.  In that case it will auto-land.  
2018-4-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The rubber wall is a good description of what happens.
The Phantom won't enter the NFZ.
2018-4-28
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Labroides Posted at 2018-4-28 19:21
The rubber wall is a good description of what happens.
The Phantom won't enter the NFZ.

Has this changed since the early NFZ programming? In the early days, it would land rather than stop at the boundary.
2018-4-28
Use props
Just another drone guy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 875499 ft
Canada

Geebax Posted at 2018-4-28 17:47
As it approaches the NFZ, you will get a warning on-screen. It is wise to heed this warning and back away. Because once the aircraft is inside the zone, it will land where it is. It will not return to home, but land. And if that happens to be over water, then kiss your aircraft goodbye.

would this be the same for all of dji's aircraft?
2018-4-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2018-4-28 20:30
Has this changed since the early NFZ programming? In the early days, it would land rather than stop at the boundary.

I'm not sure but over the last two years it's worked this way.
I have a monitoring site that's just outside an airport NFZ.
If I fly a little too far out the back of my site, the drone just stops like it's hit a soft fence and it can't be pushed through.
2018-4-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Just another drone guy Posted at 2018-4-28 20:39

Yes, it would be.
2018-4-28
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Labroides Posted at 2018-4-28 21:24
I'm not sure but over the last two years it's worked this way.
I have a monitoring site that's just outside an airport NFZ.
If I fly a little too far out the back of my site, the drone just stops like it's hit a soft fence and it can't be pushed through.

Well that's a better scenario than the earlier one. I remember well the guy on the Pacific Island who approached an airport and it decided to land in the sea.
2018-4-28
Use props
Jeff Millard
Second Officer
Flight distance : 503635 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just another drone guy Posted at 2018-4-28 20:39

Not for the Phantom 1. It'll fly anywhere you're not supposed to fly...

Jeff
2018-4-29
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

Geebax Posted at 2018-4-28 20:30

IIRC, in the very early NFZ FW days, as in right after the P2 White House lawn crash (Jan 2015), many pilots understood that the AC was supposed to auto-land as you described, but it's possible some of us misunderstood what was awkwardly written in the NFZ description within the updated manuals and it never auto-landed - provided the AC keeps connection with the satellites.
2018-4-29
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 2018-4-28 17:47
As it approaches the NFZ, you will get a warning on-screen. It is wise to heed this warning and back away. Because once the aircraft is inside the zone, it will land where it is. It will not return to home, but land. And if that happens to be over water, then kiss your aircraft goodbye.

Wrong again
2018-4-29
Use props
smirnoff9969
Second Officer
Flight distance : 582776 ft
Croatia

OK, but how would I know where are "no fly" zone (excpet airports)???
2018-4-29
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

You could study the maps in this link:  https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map

You should also study the maps shown in your Go app before you fly since they may be more up to date and more detailed.  
2018-4-29
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

smirnoff9969 Posted at 2018-4-29 04:23
OK, but how would I know where are "no fly" zone (excpet airports)???

Like Mark say you can find maps showing you what your DJI product will consider different zones but you can''t trust them to be correct as they could have missed some zones or have some zones defined where you should actually be allowed to fly.
You would need to find out not only the rules for drone flights in your country (or other countries you wanna fly in) but also the official maps with defined flight zones, the flying is your responsibility and if you're doing something wrong can't just say "But my app didn't warn me".
2018-4-29
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-4-29 02:44
IIRC, in the very early NFZ FW days, as in right after the P2 White House lawn crash (Jan 2015), many pilots understood that the AC was supposed to auto-land as you described, but it's possible some of us misunderstood what was awkwardly written in the NFZ description within the updated manuals and it never auto-landed - provided the AC keeps connection with the satellites.

In the case that I described, it was worked out that pilot was not able to do anything once it reached the edge of the NFZ, leading to it landing in the water. There was a huge outcry here on the forum over this.
2018-4-29
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Yes, smart arse, I acknowledged that.
2018-4-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules