Newb Confession
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Oldav8tor
lvl.2
United States

Recieved my new P4A on Friday.  Didn't have time to do more than unpack it last night but set aside some time today to set it up and practice on the simulator. I read and re-read the manuals and everything was fine until I discovered I couldn't turn on the controller or the drone itself.  After messing around for 30 minutes or so I went on Youtube where I finally found a tutorial that pointed out the procedure of "tap once, press and hold."  Why? I ask, couldn't the manual just come out and say that?  I went back thru the manual again and did find such a mention for turning on the battery, but nothing in the aircraft section.  The instructions for turning on the controller were of no help....  Anyway, once I got it turned on, everything linked and I was able to enter the simulator mode.  At least I didn't crash the simulator so the morning wasn't a total loss --- when the wind dies down I'll see if I can do the same with the real thing.

Maybe we need to start a thread titled "Things the manual won't tell you that you really need to know..."   Thank goodness for forums like this and Youtube  :-)

2018-4-28
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>

That's part of the fun..... exploring.
There are many,,,many things that the manual doesn't cover.
But ask a question here and you'll get MANY answers.
Many of them different!!
2018-4-28
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Oldav8tor,

That is the most common oversight, so welcome to the club!  We all had to find that out one way or the other.  If my friend had not shown me that with the Phantom 2 Vision Plus years ago, I would probably still be trying to figure it out!

Have fun with your flight tomorrow.  The weather looks great for me to fly.  I hope to demonstrate a splitter that allows two HDMI devices (2 goggles in this case) to run off of one CrystalSky.  After a week of dodgy weather, it is nice to look forward to clear skies!

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-4-28
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2018-4-28 19:17
Aloha Oldav8tor,

That is the most common oversight, so welcome to the club!  We all had to find that out one way or the other.  If my friend had not shown me that with the Phantom 2 Vision Plus years ago, I would probably still be trying to figure it out!

Hey Cetacean, let me know how that experiment goes?
I've heard mixed reviews about that working...
Cheers!
2018-4-28
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

Yes, welcome to the club, told ya these manuals could use some attention...but you prevailed so good on ya!
However, in the spirit of the force since you are still stretching your drone wings and finding your way your callsign stays FNG at least for now

Take Care and Fly Safe!
2018-4-28
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2018-4-28 21:22
Hey Cetacean, let me know how that experiment goes?
I've heard mixed reviews about that working...
Cheers!

Aloha Genghis,

The reason I am so enthused about testing the splitter again is because it worked for the first time the other day.  I used it with a CrystalSky Ultra to display on an Eachine Goggles Two and a 15.6 inch external monitor.  It worked to my surprise.  I had bought it for my friend to split the signal from a laptop computer to go to a TV and to an external monitor.  It did not work.  It only passed through one signal.  

Now it works, so I want to try those Eachine Goggles Two and my new DJI Goggles.  (No way I was going to test the splitter earlier on my new DJI Goggles!)  Both of them are 1080p and the CrystalSky puts out 1080p HDMI.  To me this is like 20/20 vision!  On top of it all, tomorrow is supposed to be a glorious day - finally!

I think the problem with other tests has been the splitter cable.  Mine cost $12 so I expected it to work.  Now I am prone to think that the signals have to be similar (different HDMI versions?  TV vs monitor?) and there may be power considerations (DC vs AC?).  BTW, I am also odd in that I have not had a TV in 30 years, so I am TV illiterate.  All Internet.  I sure am glad I did not throw the splitter out!

I have been legally blind since the third grade and got my eyes lasered on September 11, 2001.  So, I have serious vision interest.  I just love this stuff!

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-4-29
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2018-4-29 01:10
Aloha Genghis,

The reason I am so enthused about testing the splitter again is because it worked for the first time the other day.  I used it with a CrystalSky Ultra to display on an Eachine Goggles Two and a 15.6 inch external monitor.  It worked to my surprise.  I had bought it for my friend to split the signal from a laptop computer to go to a TV and to an external monitor.  It did not work.  It only passed through one signal.  

Very cool, I really don't know anything more about that stuff than you do.  My thought is that it may be about the signal strength output (wattage) and possibly about reception.  The trons flow a little like water and if the strength is not enough to push it through then you'll have problems or if one of the devices cannot take the signal at the same rate as the other or at least faster than the other then the feedback might cause a problem.  All in all even any of that were the case, I wouldn't have the first clue how to fix it.  So, here is to hoping it will work for you.
BTW, if you don't have a fix or already use some corrective type lenses with the goggles those Focus-Fixers lenses work great I have a pair and recommend their use.  However, they only go up to +5.00 and they recommend you go up 1 from what you need, so they may or may not work for you.
Enjoy your day and I'll look forward to hearing about it!  Aloha and Fly Safe!

PS You are not missing much on TV anymore these days, except maybe the news and even that can be bad
2018-4-29
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2018-4-29 06:38
Very cool, I really don't know anything more about that stuff than you do.  My thought is that it may be about the signal strength output (wattage) and possibly about reception.  The trons flow a little like water and if the strength is not enough to push it through then you'll have problems or if one of the devices cannot take the signal at the same rate as the other or at least faster than the other then the feedback might cause a problem.  All in all even any of that were the case, I wouldn't have the first clue how to fix it.  So, here is to hoping it will work for you.
BTW, if you don't have a fix or already use some corrective type lenses with the goggles those Focus-Fixers lenses work great I have a pair and recommend their use.  However, they only go up to +5.00 and they recommend you go up 1 from what you need, so they may or may not work for you.

Aloha Genghis,

Getting ready to go out.  I have glasses that work real well and fit inside all my goggles, even my FatSharks.  It is like being in the Phantom with 20/20 vision, amazing!  I will report back tonight but I am fairly confident they will work because of the earlier demonstration.

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-4-29
Use props
Oldav8tor
lvl.2
United States

The FNG has successfully made his first flight!  I was surprised how much the simulator approximated the actual flight characteristics of the Phantom.  I tried a number of different maneuvers and performed a few takeoffs and landings, all without any drama.  I know I have a lot to learn but I also know it's going to be both fun and rewarding to explore the capabilities of the P4A.
2018-4-29
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

Oldav8tor Posted at 2018-4-29 17:59
The FNG has successfully made his first flight!  I was surprised how much the simulator approximated the actual flight characteristics of the Phantom.  I tried a number of different maneuvers and performed a few takeoffs and landings, all without any drama.  I know I have a lot to learn but I also know it's going to be both fun and rewarding to explore the capabilities of the P4A.
[view_image]

Looks really good...nice!
FYI, it looks like you used a landing pad, good idea.  Reason being the downward vision sensors will note the takeoff area when first lifting off (the reason you get the second Homepoint has been updated after you lift off) and store in short term memory so as to aid in precision landing upon a RTH command or response.
So, not trying to be a spoil sport, and I know you know a little about cameras, but no sooner after you learn to fly this puppy you'll need to start exploring the camera settings.  Noted in your photo that you have slight washout due to the sun not being at an optimum angle for that photo.  Still it takes very nice pictures and that is something with this pic that can be worked in post production.
Enjoy!
Fly Safe!
2018-4-29
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

Oldav8tor Posted at 2018-4-29 17:59
[view_image]

Oh, another reason for a landing pad is contrast.  You'll find that attempting to land on a uniform surface of the same color you may get an unsafe to land warning and the bird will not land until you override it or move to another spot.  Lighting also plays a major roll in that area too.
That warning is not to be confused with it also detecting a surface you truly don't want land on, like water.  It can detect the motion of the ripples or waves and determines landing is a no go.  I've experienced the same effect when attempting to land in grass, that is more than about 3 to 4 inches in height as it detects the grass' movements.
2018-4-29
Use props
Oldav8tor
lvl.2
United States

Yep!  I noticed the issues with the photo as well.  It was shot pointing south late in the day. I hadn't planned to take any photos but decided I should mark the occasion somehow.
I have a neutral density filter I want to try and will definitely explore the settings.  I have a few places in mind that I want to shoot, starting with a nearby lighthouse and harbor.  I'm also pretty adept in photoshop if it comes to that.

I thought a landing pad on the grass was a good idea. Not only did the drone find it on RTH, but yours truly, the FNG, managed to land dead center every time when hand flying. I landed both while watching the drone itself and by looking thru the camera when pointed straight down and looking at the distance readouts and the like. These drones make me think of a F16 - both are impossible to fly without a computer to translate what you want it to do into actual control inputs.  Does it help to put cross-hairs or a bullseye on a landing pad or will a plain, contrasting but uniform surface be sufficient?
2018-4-29
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

Oldav8tor Posted at 2018-4-29 18:50
Yep!  I noticed the issues with the photo as well.  It was shot pointing south late in the day. I hadn't planned to take any photos but decided I should mark the occasion somehow.
I have a neutral density filter I want to try and will definitely explore the settings.  I have a few places in mind that I want to shoot, starting with a nearby lighthouse and harbor.  I'm also pretty adept in photoshop if it comes to that.

RE landing pad
Unless you are using something rather large like a small area rug then no I don't think you need any additional markings on the pad.  Mainly it is useful for allowing the bird to have a flat smooth surface to rest on (during power up it avoids the grass impeding the camera gimbal as it does its gyrations) and gives you a target.  As long as it is something the size of a doormat and is a contrasting color of the area surrounding it, then you'll be good to go.
You only need a crosshair if you are interested in being precise yourself so then you'll have something to gage yourself off of.
For me I'm satisfied to just land on the circle
2018-4-29
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

Oldav8tor Posted at 2018-4-29 18:50

Forum tip:
If you wish to respond to someone specifically then use the reply icon at the bottom of their post.  Then they will get a flag/reminder that someone has responded to something they posted.  Otherwise just posting on the thread using the bottom window only sends a note out to the OP.
2018-4-29
Use props
Oldav8tor
lvl.2
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2018-4-29 19:29
Forum tip:
If you wish to respond to someone specifically then use the reply icon at the bottom of their post.  Then they will get a flag/reminder that someone has responded to something they posted.  Otherwise just posting on the thread using the bottom window only sends a note out to the OP.

Thanks for the tip!
2018-4-29
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

u bet
2018-4-29
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2018-4-29 06:38
Very cool, I really don't know anything more about that stuff than you do.  My thought is that it may be about the signal strength output (wattage) and possibly about reception.  The trons flow a little like water and if the strength is not enough to push it through then you'll have problems or if one of the devices cannot take the signal at the same rate as the other or at least faster than the other then the feedback might cause a problem.  All in all even any of that were the case, I wouldn't have the first clue how to fix it.  So, here is to hoping it will work for you.
BTW, if you don't have a fix or already use some corrective type lenses with the goggles those Focus-Fixers lenses work great I have a pair and recommend their use.  However, they only go up to +5.00 and they recommend you go up 1 from what you need, so they may or may not work for you.

Aloha Genghis,

Worked like a champ!  Here is the splitter with choke (plenty) adapters.  I was worried that all the adapters would screw up the system but apparently not.  Next is a photo of the rig followed by us enjoying the flight.  It was my friend's first time flying with goggles.

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-4-30
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2018-4-30 00:49
Aloha Genghis,

Worked like a champ!  Here is the splitter with choke (plenty) adapters.  I was worried that all the adapters would screw up the system but apparently not.  Next is a photo of the rig followed by us enjoying the flight.  It was my friend's first time flying with goggles.

You know initially I was wondering the same thing about the adapters, so I was surprised that it worked which was obvious based on the photos, very cool.
So your rig was the P4P RC with the HDMI module with the Crystal Sky monitor.  Can you tell us the make and brand with model number of the cable?  Did you notice any change in battery drain off the RC or goggles?  
I see you have the obsidian, did you have the HDMI module from before or did you get a new one with your obsidian?  Side note, I wish DJI would sell an obsidian version of the module too.
Glad it worked...drone on baby
2018-4-30
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2018-4-30 00:49
Aloha Genghis,

...and another question, obviously you are using the HDMI out on the module so you can only see the camera feed.  Have you ever used the USB connection to exercise control with the DJI goggles?  If so how'd it go?  I have only used the HDMI out myself, not fully comfortable to do otherwise so far.
2018-4-30
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2018-4-30 04:19
You know initially I was wondering the same thing about the adapters, so I was surprised that it worked which was obvious based on the photos, very cool.
So your rig was the P4P RC with the HDMI module with the Crystal Sky monitor.  Can you tell us the make and brand with model number of the cable?  Did you notice any change in battery drain off the RC or goggles?  
I see you have the obsidian, did you have the HDMI module from before or did you get a new one with your obsidian?  Side note, I wish DJI would sell an obsidian version of the module too.

Aloha Genghis,

Actually, the rig in the photos used an nVidia Shield K1 device.  The previous test used a CrystalSky Ultra.  Both put out 1080p video.  That CrystalSky test was with the Eachine Goggles Two (now $125 US) and a GeChic 15.6 inch external monitor with a powerpack (total $250 US).  No matter what the rig, all the HDMI devices have to be self-powered so the cables only carry signal.  You cannot count on a USB cable from the RC monitor providing power for an HDMI device.  There should be no difference in power drain since it should not work if it is providing power.  My batteries always last forever!

No DJI HDMI modules were used in these tests, although I have one on my P3P RC.  The $99 add-on DJI HDMI modules only put out 720p HDMI.  The splitter is no longer sold but has been replaced by a Auskic 1080P HDMI Male to Dual HDMI Female 1 to 2 Way Splitter Cable Adapter Converter for DVD Players/PS3/HDTV/STB and Most LCD Projectors.  No use using 1080p goggles if the signal is only 720p.  In fact I have a pair of HeadPlay Goggles for sale because they only put out 720p.  Also, the P3P RC only provides a 720p live view, so using a nVidia Shield K1 will only put out a 720p "Live View" signal.

The Obsidian is my friend's.  He is very competitive and likes to show me up! LOL!  Plus, I am trying to show him how cool these set-ups are.  He works for an engineering company and they bought a Matrice 100 with Guidance and extra battery compartment.  We are always testing it out.  He does the flying, the engineers to the SDK or will when the time comes.  They still really need to get a P4 Pro for engineering videography projects like mapping and site inspections.

It really is a blast!  I like being the passenger so I can really get into the flight!

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-4-30
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2018-4-30 04:28
...and another question, obviously you are using the HDMI out on the module so you can only see the camera feed.  Have you ever used the USB connection to exercise control with the DJI goggles?  If so how'd it go?  I have only used the HDMI out myself, not fully comfortable to do otherwise so far.

Aloha Genghis,

As noted before, no DJI RC HDMI Modules were used in these tests.  The Head Tracking can only be used with a USB cable provided by DJI at purchase.  To use Head Tracking, you have to first set up the flight similar to how you do an Intelligent Flight Mode.  You look at the RC monitor and use the touch screen.

Then once you are up in the air and at a safe distance and location and the DJI Goggles are already turned on, you live swap the DJI Goggles USB cable (large plug) for the display cable.  For the CrystalSky, it is the large one at the back of the RC.  Then, the rest of the settings and intelligent Flight Modes are accessed with the touchpad on the right side of the DJI Goggles.  

LOL, I would take the goggles off and use the touchpad like the one on a laptop the first few times I tried it!  Finally, I got the hang of it and now it is almost second nature.  It takes some practice but Head Tracking gets interesting once you are comfortable enough to use the full sensitivity of the option.  

BTW, Head Tracking is probably only for thrills, in fact the experience would benefit from making the EXPO settings more sensitive.  I cannot imagine trying to make a proper video using the feature because the EXPO settings needed for smooth flight are the opposite of what you need for FPV speeding around.  To have fun, the video would have to be junk.  Hey, maybe I will try filming in slow-motion!  Never tried that before.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-4-30
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2018-4-30 21:18
Aloha Genghis,

As noted before, no DJI RC HDMI Modules were used in these tests.  The Head Tracking can only be used with a USB cable provided by DJI at purchase.  To use Head Tracking, you have to first set up the flight similar to how you do an Intelligent Flight Mode.  You look at the RC monitor and use the touch screen.

Yeah all good info...forgot about the 720p vs 1080 remembered when you said so.  You can't get a K1 anymore unless you are looking for a used one, so the only option right now, I guess, is the crystal sky.  
Thanks again for the low down...
Cheers, Fly Safe!
2018-5-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules