Cracked middle shell repair ?
2547 23 2018-4-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DEUCEDOG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2501575 ft

Hi everyone
I have a P4P+ which has developed stress cracks around the  rear air vent , it is about 6wks old and done 9hrs and 190000mtrs . ( no crashes or hard landings ) , it is my second one  the first had the same fault , same place and at around 185000mtrs.
Before i get everyone saying send it back ! it is going back tommorow  but my question is.... has anyone done an internal repair and was it successful ?
I managed to get a new upper /middle and legs and as this problem seems to be the norm for me i would like to find a solution in rienforcing these when my warrenty runs out .

thanks in advance
2018-4-29
Use props
Hellsgate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

wow you covered 190 klms in 9 hours thats impressive flying
I do know a cple guys that used hot melt plastic repair that so far has been successful.
2018-4-29
Use props
Rodger8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Problem is that taking your Phantom apart to do a bit of Epoxy reinforcing inside so it is not unsightly is not an easy task.
2018-4-29
Use props
DEUCEDOG
Second Officer

Hellsgate Posted at 2018-4-29 04:42
wow you covered 190 klms in 9 hours thats impressive flying
I do know a cple guys that used hot melt plastic repair that so far has been successful.

I have 5 batts and normally cover 8-10km per flight (wind dependant ) ..... lots to see  and always in a rush .  i will look into the hot  plastic  thanks, interestingly the crack is in the right rear  and appeared  when i did a large ccw flight in atti mode ? . Perhaps i should change my  flying style ? lol
2018-4-29
Use props
DEUCEDOG
Second Officer

Rodger8 Posted at 2018-4-29 04:57
Problem is that taking your Phantom apart to do a bit of Epoxy reinforcing inside so it is not unsightly is not an easy task.

What i thought i would do is have a go at strengthening a new shell i have and then change it over , i thought about epoxy ( used to glue carbon in my motor sport days ) but if i bonded the weak area  would it move the problem somewhere else ?
2018-4-29
Use props
Anokadrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 58327 ft

DEUCEDOG Posted at 2018-4-29 05:19
What i thought i would do is have a go at strengthening a new shell i have and then change it over , i thought about epoxy ( used to glue carbon in my motor sport days ) but if i bonded the weak area  would it move the problem somewhere else ?

Maybe, but those motor arms are so wimbly out near the motors in comparison to the rest of the structure, I wouldn't think it would be a problem.  I dont have a lot of flying time but one thing I did notice in my limited experience is that you can make some pretty abrupt movements with the aircraft with an inadvertent manipulation (or release) of the control sticks.  I always worry about that
2018-4-29
Use props
Rodger8
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DEUCEDOG Posted at 2018-4-29 05:19

I have never had any cracks in any of my Phantoms. I would think that they are caused by stress on the airframe from hard braking which I try to avoid. Normally I do not use the Sport Mode as well.
2018-4-29
Use props
DEUCEDOG
Second Officer

Rodger8 Posted at 2018-4-29 05:58
I have never had any cracks in any of my Phantoms. I would think that they are caused by stress on the airframe from hard braking which I try to avoid. Normally I do not use the Sport Mode as well.

I thought that as well but this p4 has never been used in sport mode and the crack appeared after a flight in atti mode ?  
2018-4-29
Use props
Rodger8
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DEUCEDOG Posted at 2018-4-29 11:47
I thought that as well but this p4 has never been used in sport mode and the crack appeared after a flight in atti mode ?

I am sure it can happen, there are many posts here about it happening. Fortunately it has never happened to me.
2018-4-29
Use props
CM17X
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1489554 ft
Colombia

Welcome to the infamous club, lad.
Im in the process of sending the craft to an specialized center for replace the whole shell, meanwhile in DJI Headquarters are laughing.
2018-4-29
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

We're sorry about the issue. It is not recommended to take apart the unit at your end which may void the warranty. If you encounter any issue during the repair progress, feel free to contact us with the case number, we'll be here all the time.
2018-4-29
Use props
DEUCEDOG
Second Officer

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-4-29 19:11
We're sorry about the issue. It is not recommended to take apart the unit at your end which may void the warranty. If you encounter any issue during the repair progress, feel free to contact us with the case number, we'll be here all the time.

Hi Susan  , i have sent it in for repair so i will wait and see , i do have a question for you.... this is my second P4P that has developed the same crack in the same place at around 185000mtrs of use !  are Dji going to offer a permanent  solution  and a product recall for safety reasons ?
I must admit this problem is getting to be a pain !! Do you honestly think the product is up to the job ? ...perhaps i could be one of your testers ?
2018-4-29
Use props
dancopter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17901030 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

Very common unfortunately. Both my P4P's have had the same issue.
2018-4-29
Use props
DEUCEDOG
Second Officer

dancopter Posted at 2018-4-29 21:54
Very common unfortunately. Both my P4P's have had the same issue.

What did you do about it , did you repair the shell yourself ?
2018-4-30
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

DEUCEDOG Posted at 2018-4-29 21:35
Hi Susan  , i have sent it in for repair so i will wait and see , i do have a question for you.... this is my second P4P that has developed the same crack in the same place at around 185000mtrs of use !  are Dji going to offer a permanent  solution  and a product recall for safety reasons ?
I must admit this problem is getting to be a pain !! Do you honestly think the product is up to the job ? ...perhaps i could be one of your testers ?

It depends on the damage assessment of the designated service center. Would you mind leaving your case number here? We'd like to check the current status and see if there is anything we can help.
2018-5-4
Use props
DEUCEDOG
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-5-4 03:12
It depends on the damage assessment of the designated service center. Would you mind leaving your case number here? We'd like to check the current status and see if there is anything we can help.

Hi Susan thanks  , my case number is CAS-1726333-W1R9Z8
2018-5-4
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

DEUCEDOG Posted at 2018-5-4 04:28
Hi Susan thanks  , my case number is CAS-1726333-W1R9Z8

Sorry for the late response. Per the case log, it is a warranty case, and the package has been shipped. It will arrive soon. Please let us know if there is any other issue.
2018-5-10
Use props
DEUCEDOG
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-5-10 01:40
Sorry for the late response. Per the case log, it is a warranty case, and the package has been shipped. It will arrive soon. Please let us know if there is any other issue.

Thanks Susan no problem with the delay ;-) , i received a P4P back today but i was a little disappointing  to see it is  a refurb unit and not my old unit repaired ?  from my point of view i knew where and how my old unit was handled and the environment it was flown in ,this refurb unit i have no idea of it's flight history !?
i fully understand it is covered by the same warranty but would you be able to tell me how old it is and the reason it was sent back for refurb ? ac no QAXDE3G OA30019
Thanks

Phil

edit  i also had to change the prop mounts because they were loose and chipped ?!

2018-5-10
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

DEUCEDOG Posted at 2018-5-10 10:04
Thanks Susan no problem with the delay ;-) , i received a P4P back today but i was a little disappointing  to see it is  a refurb unit and not my old unit repaired ?  from my point of view i knew where and how my old unit was handled and the environment it was flown in ,this refurb unit i have no idea of it's flight history !?
i fully understand it is covered by the same warranty but would you be able to tell me how old it is and the reason it was sent back for refurb ? ac no QAXDE3G OA30019
Thanks

Phil, whether the drone is repaired or replaced depends on the damage assessment. Sorry about this. It is recommended to do a fully pre-flight checklist and test the performance to see whether it works well.  
2018-5-15
Use props
DEUCEDOG
Second Officer

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-5-15 01:32
Phil, whether the drone is repaired or replaced depends on the damage assessment. Sorry about this. It is recommended to do a fully pre-flight checklist and test the performance to see whether it works well.

Hi Susan with ref to the new ac ( refurb ) unit supplied to me ,  in test it was very unstable and oversensitive sensors made it un-flyable . i have re calibrated the imu and sensors which have solved the stability issue but not the sensors . when flying at 40+mtrs alt  i get random sensor warnings and the ac stops mid flight ? i have flown it for about 3hrs now  and re-calibrated the sensors 3 times but the issue remains and is intermittent !.
At this moment in time i do not  trust this ac  !
As i mentioned above  18# the motor mounts had to be replaced and scratches on a motor indicate to me this ac has had previous problems .
I would  also like to point out this is becoming very tedious calibrating , testing etc when this should have been checked prior to dispatch !?  my original ac was 3months old with stress cracks and in return i get a so called refurbished unit over  6mths old that sees obstacles in clear  air !!!!
Please advise of a solution
Phil
2018-5-21
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

DEUCEDOG Posted at 2018-5-21 08:51
Hi Susan with ref to the new ac ( refurb ) unit supplied to me ,  in test it was very unstable and oversensitive sensors made it un-flyable . i have re calibrated the imu and sensors which have solved the stability issue but not the sensors . when flying at 40+mtrs alt  i get random sensor warnings and the ac stops mid flight ? i have flown it for about 3hrs now  and re-calibrated the sensors 3 times but the issue remains and is intermittent !.
At this moment in time i do not  trust this ac  !
As i mentioned above  18# the motor mounts had to be replaced and scratches on a motor indicate to me this ac has had previous problems .

Could you be more specific about the sensor warning? Does it appear in every flight? Please kindly export the flight logs when the warning appears? Thanks in advance!

2018-5-24
Use props
DEUCEDOG
Second Officer

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-5-24 02:54
Could you be more specific about the sensor warning? Does it appear in every flight? Please kindly export the flight logs when the warning appears? Thanks in advance!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMb1RD5pPOg

Ok no problem ... but i see i am not alone with the sensor  issue  ? i found this thread https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=149042
Interestingly i did not notice this with my other P4P 's so have  the later firmware releases altered the way the sensors function or am i flying in the wrong kind of light ?
2018-5-24
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

DEUCEDOG Posted at 2018-5-24 07:51
Ok no problem ... but i see i am not alone with the sensor  issue  ? i found this thread https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=149042
Interestingly i did not notice this with my other P4P 's so have  the later firmware releases altered the way the sensors function or am i flying in the wrong kind of light ?

It is normal to get the warning when you fly in the humid environment or thick clouds, or close to trees.
If you get the reminder when the weather is good and the drone performs well, it can be concluded as misinformation.
2018-5-28
Use props
DEUCEDOG
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-5-28 23:50
It is normal to get the warning when you fly in the humid environment or thick clouds, or close to trees.
If you get the reminder when the weather is good and the drone performs well, it can be concluded as misinformation.

Ok thanks
2018-5-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules