360 video
3992 20 2018-4-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MikB
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13346 ft
France

Has anyone had any success taking 360 videos wirh a Spark?

I mounted a insta360 one onto my Spark. Despite weighing only 82 grams and with a minimalist attachment bracket the little Spark struggled to get airborne. It was not very stable but it was a bit blustry. Perhaps a calm day would give better results. Anyway here is my first attempt from my backyard.

Don't worry about the quality. I only chose average quality for the output file to save processing time.

2018-4-29
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

I understand that you use the prop-guards.
But you could save on 30+ grams, leaving them off.
Looks interesting, I am surprised that it did look so good.
2018-4-29
Use props
MikB
Second Officer
France

Good suggestion 7. I will invest in chain mail gloves first because the camera dangling underneath means a hand launch and once bitten .....
2018-4-29
Use props
Cesargp
Second Officer
Flight distance : 458317 ft
Chile

This is so great. Hope you show us some other 360 videos in the future...
2018-4-29
Use props
MikB
Second Officer
France

Many thanks for your suggestion 7 By ditching finger guards and landing legs, I lost 50 grams. It made the little Spark more stable although it was still a struggle.

The point I want to make is that I believe we could change our approach to drone videos. We spend a lot of time and money on multi axis gimbals and cameras and sending shots back to ground to be sure of what we are shooting. It is difficult to concentrate on flying the drone a) safely and b) where you want it. Then we have to pan and tilt to get the shot we want. There are lots of gimmicks to help such as "follow me" or "boomerang" etc but it is still equivalent to patting your head and rubbing your tummy! It takes a lot of concentration.

If we only have a 360 camera, we do not need to see what we are recording. It simply records everything. We can concentrate solely on flying the aircraft. Perhaps the only additional help we would need would be some pre-programmed waypoints. Once you have the recording, you can abstract the normal video you want from the 360 footage.

For example, from the above 360 footage I abstracted the following video. I centred on the house as the Spark went up and then at the last minute I swung round to look at the view. This is only a very crude  proof of concept. But surely this is the way to go as technology evolves.

If anyone is trying this, be careful not to obstruct the downward sensors. it will go up OK but is a bugger to get back down. Does anyone know of a way to switch them off?
2018-4-30
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

It looks very interesting.
And perhaps BOTH cams are the future for drone videos:
sometimes focus on the gimbal cam, but always capture with the 360!
What cam model do you have exactly, please?

Oh, and one more suggestion:
Kill the sound from the 360 video, that is a bit .... ;-)
You could perhaps get a drone sound sample from/with your phone and loop it in the background.
(Just my2c)
2018-4-30
Use props
MikB
Second Officer
France

Interesting? yes but early days yet. What I would like is a simple drone with NO camera that can lift say 100 grams with ease. Any ideas? - preferably radio controlled - non of this Wi-Fi nonsense.

I have an Insta360 one camera

Sorry about the sound. The footage was as it came from the camera. I will try and add some of that irritating,, mundane, background music beloved of droners everywhere next time I edit
2018-4-30
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

MikB Posted at 2018-4-30 05:10
Interesting? yes but early days yet. What I would like is a simple drone with NO camera that can lift say 100 grams with ease. Any ideas? - preferably radio controlled - non of this Wi-Fi nonsense.

I have an Insta360 one camera

No reason to be sorry.
It is the perfect sample why drone cams don't need a microphone

The 'problem' with drones with no cam: Mostly no GPS, also.
So permanent working the sticks, methinks.
2018-4-30
Use props
Northwood
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2148596 ft
Canada

Very cool.  Weird seeing Jello from a DJI drone, but I get that its an add on.      I like the concept of capturing it all, then parsing out what to keep after the fact.  you may well be onto something there.
2018-4-30
Use props
MikB
Second Officer
France

"permanent working the sticks, methinks." been there done that and got the T shirt. i discovered I will NEVER make a pilot - too old and slow. There must be something with GPS stabilisation, no camera, and radio control these days?

"I like the concept of capturing it all, then parsing out what to keep after the fact.  you may well be onto something there." I hope so. Technology seems to me to be heading in that direction.
2018-4-30
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

MikB Posted at 2018-4-30 06:33
"permanent working the sticks, methinks." been there done that and got the T shirt. i discovered I will NEVER make a pilot - too old and slow. There must be something with GPS stabilisation, no camera, and radio control these days?

"I like the concept of capturing it all, then parsing out what to keep after the fact.  you may well be onto something there." I hope so. Technology seems to me to be heading in that direction.

You could look for one with only a gimbal.
Probably also wifi controlled, but it should neither have trouble with the cam weight, nor with vibrations, shaking!

(Edit: Phantom 2, perhaps?)
2018-4-30
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

The three axis stabilization with GPS is an autopilot module for model aircraft that can be used with home built quad copters.  Race drones run in ATTI mode, or RATE mode (full roll over or inverted).  You can look for a module that gives you GPS, ATTI, or RATE modes.  

The expensive GoPro Fusion 360 does the 360 view as an "over capture" where the software lets you select what you want as a normal view.  You select what you want after everything on the ski run is captured.  The camera is good (high resolution) but the software is also very good and may be the easiest to use according to reviewers.  

I have a set of VR googles (Playstation VR) to watch youtube 360 videos on.  Pioneering days for 360 as there are no best practices established yet.  Everyone is experimenting.  I like 360 video more to record an event.  Like the unloading of a 50 foot offshore  racing boat, red carpet arrivals of celebrities, on stage during a music concert, etc.  The camera becoming someone standing there not moving and taking in whatever takes their fancy.  360 degree view and in 3D is great as everyone has that depth but there are areas in the sweet spot and some where the 3d is wonky.

2018-4-30
Use props
MikB
Second Officer
France

"Phantom 2, perhaps?"  yes that is worth looking at - thanks

"Pioneering days for 360 as there are no best practices established yet."  Yes that is exactly the point of this thread. A new approach is becoming possible where we do not have to worry about pointing a camera at a subject. That can be sorted out back at the desk.

Late edit ..... I just found this. Anyone have any more information?

2018-4-30
Use props
Viking-Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2379249 ft
Spain

Very interesting outcome, I would suggest to fly with no protectors as they put a lot of weight, especially as wind resistance, they act like a sail on a boat to the wind so you might want to improve your hand/ palm landing technique. ;-)
2018-5-1
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice one.
You do need a gimbal I guess
2018-5-1
Use props
ashleygray
lvl.1

Canada

I love the idea attaching a 360 camera to your drone. And I agree, might be the turning point of drone tech these days
2018-5-2
Use props
natnatroswell
lvl.3

United States

For 360, i highly recommend DJI Zenmuse X4S - Camera with gimbal. its the best ;)
2018-5-2
Use props
MikB
Second Officer
France

A nice looking bit of kit but very expensive for my budget, however it does not seem to record 360 video and I doubt the Spark will lift it. Perhaps you are missing the point?
2018-5-2
Use props
fans8986372c
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3888 ft
United States

MikB Posted at 2018-4-30 02:45
Many thanks for your suggestion 7 By ditching finger guards and landing legs, I lost 50 grams. It made the little Spark more stable although it was still a struggle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W0Ca_lsqUc

"If anyone is trying this, be careful not to obstruct the downward sensors. it will go up OK but is a bugger to get back down. Does anyone know of a way to switch them off?"

Have you found a solution?
2018-7-26
Use props
MikB
Second Officer
United States

Yes had the same problem. I could not turn off the sensors but found that if a put some distance between Spark and camera then it works fine. I used a carbon fibre (tent pole) rod with a short piece of thread sawn off a nut which fits the camera at one end and some Velcro tape at the other. Check out the photos.

2018-7-27
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

Excellent Video Mate ! Nice to see a 360 Video, for the First Attempt it looks really good.
2018-7-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules