2830 8 2018-4-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
METROID
lvl.3
Flight distance : 105741 ft
Russia

Hello everyone!
I'm a noob at flying drones, and I have a few questions.
Today I tried to fly my Mavic Air outdoors with props guards on (cuz it is recommended for noobs like me), and there was a little wind on the ground like 2-4 m/s, and when I manually took off the message poped-up "Extra payload detected. Flight performance will be affected. Fly with caution." All sensors were is green zone, there were 14 sats of GPS. Is it possible that while take off the gust of wind hit the Mavic and it thought of extra payload?
Then I gained altitude about 60 meters and the yellow message appeared "High wind velocity. Ensure the aircraft remains within your line of sight and fly with caution." I've ignored that message cuz I already expected some wind up there. And after that on 62 meters I received a red alert "High wind velocity. Fly with caution and land in a safe place ASAP." I don't think that there really was such a strong wind, also drone was very stable for me, but I hit RTH button and returned drone back to me. And only at home I realized that props guards can be the case, maybe they drastically added a wind affection to my drone, cuz wind was not that strong, the trees were stable, UAV Forecast showed wind 2m/s with gusts up to 4 m/s, no?
2018-4-29
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha METROID,

Yes, the propguards will create an extra payload message.  It is advisory, not compulsory.  Do pay attention to it though.  The Mavic Air is very small and will be affected by wind much more than the larger Mavic Pro and the much larger Phantoms.  

You are right to question the wind advisories but do listen to them and understand them.  Then test your specific situation with close line of sight flights.  Eventually you will figure it all out and you seem to have a grasp of the issues already.  The idea is to not fly out beyond any expectation of control in a difficult situation.  

It is important to remember that winds are at a much higher velocity the higher your Mavic Air flies.  With propguards on, the wind can grab on to the propguards and make it difficult for the Mavic Air to come home.  Be sure to travel up wind for the first half of your flight so your trip home is downwind.  

There are many more simple rules that you will figure out.  Then you can share them with other new fliers when you are more experienced.  Above all just be careful as you indicate you are trying to be.  Have fun!

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-4-30
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

The issue you described is normal, after a few more flight you should lose the prop guards, fly in open areas, have fun....
2018-4-30
Use props
METROID
lvl.3
Russia

Cetacean, R&L Aerial photography
thx guys!
The idea about testing drone against wind is pretty clever indeed. So, I suppose as long as I keep drone close to myself and it fights the wind good, I just need to keep watch for battery level. I think it is unlikely that drone can be blown away by a gust of 10-15 m/s. I'm talking about gusts because the small wind in my region is never permanent, the wind always starts with gusts up to 2-10 m/s.
2018-4-30
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

Download the App "UAV Forecase" and use it before every flight.  One of the reports it provides is wind profiles at various elevations.  What feels like 10km at ground level can easily be 30km at 30 meters.  When you add those prop guards, it's like having a small sail attached to each arm.  A wind gust when flying, angled into the wind could easily flip the aircraft.  Pay ATTENTION to those advisories and 'get DOWN'  !!  :-)  FWIW, those trees you mention also cause wind turbulence.  Small gusts of wind coming from behind and above will roll together and create a really difficult flight environment.  If you ever fly among rolling hills, the same conditions will occur.  There may be only a breeze at 1 meter, but 'up there' it can be much more turbulent.  
FWIW, UAV Forecast -free model- predicts wind gusts, satellite locks, visibility, cloud cover, and the Kp index ( measures atmospheric magnetic interferece that could affect GPS and compass dependability ).  
2018-4-30
Use props
forbsie
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

My advice, take the guards off and only use them when flying indoors. The Air flies like it is in soup with the guards on.
2018-4-30
Use props
djiuser_iGJqCoTNTQSa
lvl.4
United States

The guards are silly and pointless unless you are doing some precision flying indoors, in extremely close proximity to things. If you don't have the skill to fly a drone as simple as the DJI, to the point where you need guards, you need to stop flying it altogether, buy yourself a cheap $20 drone, and fly that until you can sufficiently control it. Then you can fly your Air. Why is this? Because those guards will do very little for your drone if you lose control as the speeds it flies at, and it disturbs the air patterns produced by the props. Furthermore, the cheapest part you're going to break outside of the props is around $30-40, and it requires time and possible warranty voiding in the process. That's 50-100% more than the cheap drone, and that's assuming you don't break the whole gimbal assembly ($240+) or an arm ($60+).
2018-4-30
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Yup, loose the guards and wouldn't fly indoors either, vast areas outside with open spaces and less to smash into. Why risk your drone!
2018-4-30
Use props
METROID
lvl.3
Russia

Thanks everyone for tips, you're right, without prop guards Mavic flies very smooth even in a moderate wind!
2018-5-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules