Them birds!
890 12 2018-4-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rent
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1773458 ft
  • >>>

Flew my I2 by the beach today. Was it me or were the seagulls much more aggressive towards the I2 than a smaller drone, say a Mavic? They appeared very territorial, circled the drone quite a bit, even followed it to shore when I decided to land out of an abundance of caution.

It could be that they were just curious about their new friend... or maybe they were just vicious drone killers. Can someone more familiar with gulls or have flown frequently by the ocean chime in? Should I ignore them and go about my business, or is this something to be of concern and to avoid?

Thanks!
2018-4-29
Use props
UP Films
lvl.4
Flight distance : 81683 ft
United States

I fly my inspire by they ocean quite often and haven’t really experienced any problems with the seagulls or other birds. I’ve done a couple of close tracking shots with the birds by the ocean with no problem. But you also never know when they might get territorial.
2018-4-29
Use props
Altitude Drones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1488520 ft

I've had a few issues with birds dive bombing and otherwise being very unfriendly.

Check the video out, nothing as bad as that happening to your I2!
2018-4-30
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

It's gull nesting and breeding season for the next 3-4 months, usually starting in mid-April on.  They form very large colonies and will attack out to as far as 5 miles to protect their nests.
2018-4-30
Use props
iSkyUnmannedSystems
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7152087 ft
  • >>>

The only way to combat them is. Fly higher (it's seen as an dominant position) and keep moving.   
2018-4-30
Use props
rent
Second Officer
  • >>>
Russia

Altitude Drones Posted at 2018-4-30 06:12
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc_ovddVRKE

I've had a few issues with birds dive bombing and otherwise being very unfriendly.

The props, especially the CF ones, of a larger drone like I2 would not be as forgiving. They are training an eagle to be kamikaze!
2018-4-30
Use props
rent
Second Officer
  • >>>
Russia

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2018-4-30 06:40
It's gull nesting and breeding season for the next 3-4 months, usually starting in mid-April on.  They form very large colonies and will attack out to as far as 5 miles to protect their nests.

That's good to know. Yes they did appear to be quite territorial. Will try to avoid as best as I can.
2018-4-30
Use props
Barry Goyette
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14928 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes...gulls during nesting season can be shockingly adept at picking out the inspire from all the other traffic around the coastal rocks here near Pismo beach. You definitely need to fly above and fast.  Hover near  nesting areas and you'll know it quick. I've had them go after my p4 as well. The mavic air seems to be immune so far.
2018-4-30
Use props
bobo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1544416 ft
  • >>>
United States

They are sometimes aggressive. I flew my M600 the other day at florida beach. I brought mine down and close to me till it flew off bothering some other birds! They will attack.
2018-4-30
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi rent, maybe the aircraft is attractive for birds, I will try to avoid flying if there are birds around, we never know if they will attack it, they could cause accident.
2018-5-4
Use props
mixchief
Second Officer
Flight distance : 182057 ft
  • >>>
United States

I live in South Florid also on the Bay where there are many birds, so far I've had little to no interest from them, but there are a couple of videos on YT that display Gulls Gonne Wild LOL. Some pretty nasty attacks.
2018-5-4
Use props
Blackwood
lvl.4

There are a bunch of videos on YouTube of Phantoms being attacked or chased by seagulls.
2018-5-4
Use props
Altitude Drones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1488520 ft

I've heard that it's because they think your drone is another bird.

I had more issues with my P2 and I1 than the I2, maybe because they were white. I'd bet if you painted it with red or yellow and black stripes they'd think twice. Jurassic hornet!
2018-5-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules