Which Filters?
49300 11 2018-4-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HendrikJB
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2132792 ft
South Africa

Anyone here have good experience with filters for Mavic Air?
What I want to know is whether one should buy the "standard" ND Set with 1 CPL (4 filters) or the "combination" ND/CPL Set where all the filters are cpl capable as well?

The thing that worries me is the amount of light cut out with the "combination" set as it is double that of the "standard" set?
2018-4-30
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

You won't go far wrong with PolarPro filters.  Excellent filters, great fast service. As for which set, depends on usage.

https://www.polarprofilters.com/ ... -pack-cinema-series
2018-4-30
Use props
HendrikJB
Second Officer
South Africa

M2Wair Posted at 2018-4-30 09:48
You won't go far wrong with PolarPro filters.  Excellent filters, great fast service. As for which set, depends on usage.

https://www.polarprofilters.com/collections/dji-mavic-air-filters-and-accessories/products/dji-mavic-air-filters-6-pack-cinema-series

Thank you for the link.

I`m not THAT active in photography as I used to be otherwise I would have bought the 8-pack
2018-4-30
Use props
rent
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1773458 ft
  • >>>
Russia

Kind of depends on what you want to achieve. Lowering the shutter speed / using larger aperture for more DoF (ND filters) or enhancing color / reducing glare (CP)?
2018-4-30
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I bought a set of PGYTech filters - UV, CPL, ND4, ND8, ND16, ND32. Great quality and half the price of PolarPro. I bought PGYTech for my P4P too. Very happy with the results from both sets.
2018-4-30
Use props
HendrikJB
Second Officer
South Africa

Punchbuggy Posted at 2018-4-30 13:54
I bought a set of PGYTech filters - UV, CPL, ND4, ND8, ND16, ND32. Great quality and half the price of PolarPro. I bought PGYTech for my P4P too. Very happy with the results from both sets.

Thank you for the information.  However I want to know if a person using the "composite" ND+CPL has found that they run into a problem of too little "light" often.
2018-5-1
Use props
Breezer74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 20072 ft

United Kingdom

The cpl part of the filter doesn't seem to reduce much light compared to the standard nd, so I wouldn't worry too much about light. The biggest issue with cpl, composite or not, is they work differently depending upon the angle of the sun to the lens.  If you can set it up and stay at or close to one angle for you filming or photos they are great.  If you do a 360 panorama or rotate around a point of interest the saturation of the sky will be quite variable. Personally I love a cpl for my dslr, but tend to use plain nd for the drone.  Other people's needs and experience may differ of course.
2018-5-1
Use props
HendrikJB
Second Officer
South Africa

Breezer74 Posted at 2018-5-1 01:37
The cpl part of the filter doesn't seem to reduce much light compared to the standard nd, so I wouldn't worry too much about light. The biggest issue with cpl, composite or not, is they work differently depending upon the angle of the sun to the lens.  If you can set it up and stay at or close to one angle for you filming or photos they are great.  If you do a 360 panorama or rotate around a point of interest the saturation of the sky will be quite variable. Personally I love a cpl for my dslr, but tend to use plain nd for the drone.  Other people's needs and experience may differ of course.

Thank you Breezer THIS was the kind of answer that I was looking for.  Not that the other replies were useless but your`s was exactly what I was looking for.
2018-5-1
Use props
Briviao
lvl.2
Flight distance : 43799 ft
United Arab Emirates

I  bought PGYTech full series of ND-PL filters (4/8/16/32 and 64). The quality seems really good. The price is quite lower than polar pro.
2018-5-1
Use props
HendrikJB
Second Officer
South Africa

Briviao Posted at 2018-5-1 03:29
I  bought PGYTech full series of ND-PL filters (4/8/16/32 and 64). The quality seems really good. The price is quite lower than polar pro.

Thank you for your reply.

As a Still Photographer, Olympus cameras, I`ve found that very rarely the more expensive filters are really value for money.  Though I`m not a post-processor-photographer it is nowadays apparently so easy to "tweak" photo`s that expensive filter suppliers may soon lose out to software that can do a much better job at a lesser price.
2018-5-1
Use props
Breezer74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 20072 ft

United Kingdom

HendrikJB Posted at 2018-5-1 01:43
Thank you Breezer THIS was the kind of answer that I was looking for.  Not that the other replies were useless but your`s was exactly what I was looking for.

Happy to help.  As a lifelong stills photographer as well I've found drones and video to need a very different approach with a steep start to the learning curve.
2018-5-1
Use props
HendrikJB
Second Officer
South Africa

Breezer74 Posted at 2018-5-1 08:47
Happy to help.  As a lifelong stills photographer as well I've found drones and video to need a very different approach with a steep start to the learning curve.

I could`nt have put that better myself
2018-5-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules