X5R RAW Timed Shot Question
1195 8 2018-4-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
David Bartenfield
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3784321 ft
  • >>>

Inspire 1 with Go App is telling me the interval for timed RAW photo shots is 10 seconds.  Is this correct?  Please tell me I am missing something.  I need an interval of 5 seconds minimum.  2 seconds would be nice.   I am using the X5R camera.

Thanks
2018-4-30
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

David, sorry to tell you that RAW Timed Shot can not set lower than 5s because of the limitation of the SD card speed. If the time is 2 seconds, the camera can not make sure that the pictures are saved completely.
2018-5-1
Use props
David Bartenfield
lvl.4
  • >>>

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-5-1 01:07
David, sorry to tell you that RAW Timed Shot can not set lower than 5s because of the limitation of the SD card speed. If the time is 2 seconds, the camera can not make sure that the pictures are saved completely.

Thanks for the reply.  My App is telling me 10 seconds is minimum interval for RAW photos.  Please further advise.
2018-5-1
Use props
David Bartenfield
lvl.4
  • >>>

And I must contradict you here because on single shot setting I am able to snap RAW photos at the rate of one every two seconds by repeatedly pressing the shutter button.  There is not write speed issue.
2018-5-1
Use props
David Bartenfield
lvl.4
  • >>>

And finally... why are the RAW photos not writing to the MUCH FASTER SSD card?  This would eliminate the issue altogether.  Why have RAW photos write to the slower SD card?
2018-5-1
Use props
flighttime1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 906352 ft
United States

The 10 second limit has driven me crazy for some time now. I've dealt with it by shooting jpgs for the hyperlapse I've worked on but  I really hate not having RAW to work with. I was doing some heli aerials a few weeks ago and was going down the shoreline and decided to attempt just clicking every second  while trying to hold the Canon steady and it actually came out fairly decent after quite a bit of alignment in post. I think Davids idea of just clicking the shutter every two seconds might be the best choice with the Inspire. I'm also working with X5R and it's really a shame it doesn't write to the SSD card. How hard could it be to make that happen DJI??????
2018-5-1
Use props
David Bartenfield
lvl.4
  • >>>

flighttime1 Posted at 2018-5-1 23:33
The 10 second limit has driven me crazy for some time now. I've dealt with it by shooting jpgs for the hyperlapse I've worked on but  I really hate not having RAW to work with. I was doing some heli aerials a few weeks ago and was going down the shoreline and decided to attempt just clicking every second  while trying to hold the Canon steady and it actually came out fairly decent after quite a bit of alignment in post. I think Davids idea of just clicking the shutter every two seconds might be the best choice with the Inspire. I'm also working with X5R and it's really a shame it doesn't write to the SSD card. How hard could it be to make that happen DJI??????

DJI has orphaned the Inspire 1 and the X5R along with it.  A ten second time-lapse from a platform that can shoot for 10-12 minutes is useless.  There is not a write speed issue there is a planned obsolescence issue.  Pressing the shutter button every two seconds while trying to fly the drone is a horrible option.
2018-5-2
Use props
flighttime1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 906352 ft
United States

David Bartenfield Posted at 2018-5-2 04:55
DJI has orphaned the Inspire 1 and the X5R along with it.  A ten second time-lapse from a platform that can shoot for 10-12 minutes is useless.  There is not a write speed issue there is a planned obsolescence issue.  Pressing the shutter button every two seconds while trying to fly the drone is a horrible option.

I don't think I'm standing up for DJI when I say my feelings don't lean toward planned obsolescence but rather they routinely put every available person to work on the next new release. You have to admit the growth of their lineup is pretty amazing for a company that has been around for less than 10 years. That said, it still sucks that they abandon 'last year's model' on a fairly consistent basis. The Osmo is another example of a product that could have been a great tool but turned out to be just one more broken promise. The fact that we still haven't seen the Osmo 2 is the obvious reason why. As far as pressing the shutter button while flying, that's what Autopilot is for. ;-)  I rarely have time to use it on jobs with all of the refinement needed to get the shot right but it's great for those personal projects that I want the repeatability to get it perfect.
2018-5-2
Use props
David Bartenfield
lvl.4
  • >>>

flighttime1 Posted at 2018-5-2 10:51
I don't think I'm standing up for DJI when I say my feelings don't lean toward planned obsolescence but rather they routinely put every available person to work on the next new release. You have to admit the growth of their lineup is pretty amazing for a company that has been around for less than 10 years. That said, it still sucks that they abandon 'last year's model' on a fairly consistent basis. The Osmo is another example of a product that could have been a great tool but turned out to be just one more broken promise. The fact that we still haven't seen the Osmo 2 is the obvious reason why. As far as pressing the shutter button while flying, that's what Autopilot is for. ;-)  I rarely have time to use it on jobs with all of the refinement needed to get the shot right but it's great for those personal projects that I want the repeatability to get it perfect.

I remember when I was required to assemble the drones they sold myself.

2018-5-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules