Drone malfunction
1655 29 2018-5-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
22Charlie
lvl.1
Canada

My DJI Mavic Pro got a magnetic error and flew away - I did not recover the drone - it is gone!
2018-5-1
Use props
ghostrdr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
United States

That sucks! Can you be more specific?
2018-5-1
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Sorry to hear that! Can you upload you .TXT file (flight log) and post the link to it back here, maybe we can help figure out what happened. If i didn't end up in water maybe we can see where it fell/landed to help you find it. Your log should be stored on your device.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2018-5-1
Use props
Far_North
lvl.4
Flight distance : 278379 ft
Canada

There are some very smart guys here who along with your flight log file may be able to tell you where about it may of crashed or landed.  They have helped a few guys find their drone or at least ascertain what really happened.
2018-5-1
Use props
22Charlie
lvl.1
Canada

I have my flight log. It won't allow me to upload it here. The specifics are that I was filming a rock wall in the mountains and some gents stopped by while I was controlling it and I hit my return to home and an error came up saying magnetic error. The drone went to max flight height and I took over the control and tried to bring t down but I could no longer see where it was. It came down and when I followed the GPS to the location it indicated it was at the drone was no where to be seen. This happened on Feb 24th and there has been a lot of snow and melting since. I have gone back numerous times and I cannot find the drone. I know that it will be ruined by now. I only want to recover it so I can put that mystery to rest.
2018-5-1
Use props
22Charlie
lvl.1
Canada

ghostrdr Posted at 2018-5-1 08:46
That sucks! Can you be more specific?

I replied on the forum not to your comment - new to this
2018-5-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

22Charlie Posted at 2018-5-1 09:22
I have my flight log. It won't allow me to upload it here. The specifics are that I was filming a rock wall in the mountains and some gents stopped by while I was controlling it and I hit my return to home and an error came up saying magnetic error. The drone went to max flight height and I took over the control and tried to bring t down but I could no longer see where it was. It came down and when I followed the GPS to the location it indicated it was at the drone was no where to be seen. This happened on Feb 24th and there has been a lot of snow and melting since. I have gone back numerous times and I cannot find the drone. I know that it will be ruined by now. I only want to recover it so I can put that mystery to rest.

FEB 24th , why wait so long to come here for help.

you can if you still have log in your phone or whatever device using load it up here.

Just click on link below and follow instructions come back here and post your link, you might get a better understanding as to what exactly happened.

2018-5-1
Use props
22Charlie
lvl.1
Canada

QuadKid Posted at 2018-5-1 08:47
Sorry to hear that! Can you upload you .TXT file (flight log) and post the link to it back here, maybe we can help figure out what happened. If i didn't end up in water maybe we can see where it fell/landed to help you find it. Your log should be stored on your device.

Flight Log

2018-5-1
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

Seem to me you had a lot of warnings, before takeoff. Sorry to say looks like pilot error.
2018-5-1
Use props
22Charlie
lvl.1
Canada

Woe Posted at 2018-5-1 10:02
Seem to me you had a lot of warnings, before takeoff. Sorry to say looks like pilot error.

Ya thanks - I get that. The errors came after take off and I had no control to bring it back
2018-5-1
Use props
22Charlie
lvl.1
Canada

22Charlie Posted at 2018-5-1 10:04
Ya thanks - I get that. The errors came after take off and I had no control to bring it back

Actually - I'm an idiot. I see what you're saying. The compass error should have been rectified prior to take off.
2018-5-1
Use props
M2Wair
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

That's a bag full of compass errors there. Sorry you lost your drone.
2018-5-1
Use props
22Charlie
lvl.1
Canada

M2Wair Posted at 2018-5-1 10:09
That's a bag full of compass errors there. Sorry you lost your drone.

thanks, Now that I see the log I feel pretty stupid
2018-5-1
Use props
22Charlie
lvl.1
Canada

Thank you to the folks who tried to help
2018-5-1
Use props
IceBox-Murdock
lvl.4
Flight distance : 43845 ft
  • >>>
United States

22Charlie Posted at 2018-5-1 10:04

It looked like there was a compass error warning even before you initiated take off.  When you started the motors, the compass error warning was already there. It is clearly a pilot error.
I am so sorry for your loss.
2018-5-1
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

yeah not only compass issue but took off before home point was recorded and didnt record till nearly 50 feet away.  
2018-5-1
Use props
22Charlie
lvl.1
Canada

SparksBird Posted at 2018-5-1 10:27
yeah not only compass issue but took off before home point was recorded and didnt record till nearly 50 feet away.

Crappy way to learn. It's on me
2018-5-1
Use props
M2Wair
Second Officer
  • >>>
Ireland

22Charlie Posted at 2018-5-1 10:33
Crappy way to learn. It's on me

You won't be the first and you certainly won't be the last, don't beat yourself up over it, we all have messed up at one stage or another. Get yourself another drone and start again. We all are here to help.
2018-5-1
Use props
22Charlie
lvl.1
Canada

M2Wair Posted at 2018-5-1 10:40
You won't be the first and you certainly won't be the last, don't beat yourself up over it, we all have messed up at one stage or another. Get yourself another drone and start again. We all are here to help.

You bet, Thanks for the encouragement
2018-5-1
Use props
M2Wair
Second Officer
  • >>>
Ireland

22Charlie Posted at 2018-5-1 10:50
You bet, Thanks for the encouragement

You are very welcome and here to help.  
2018-5-1
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Sorry about your loss, it can be hard. Others have already mentioned why it happened hope when you get your new drone you will be more careful and watch for those warning. Ask hallmark to send you his pre-flight checklist, I still use it before I fly works great
2018-5-1
Use props
22Charlie
lvl.1
Canada

Suren Posted at 2018-5-1 11:09
Sorry about your loss, it can be hard. Others have already mentioned why it happened hope when you get your new drone you will be more careful and watch for those warning. Ask hallmark to send you his pre-flight checklist, I still use it before I fly works great

Great, Thanks
2018-5-1
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Sorry again for your loss, it probably drifted quite away in Atti mode before it fell/landed being your altitude was around 350' AGL. This is where experience plays a part. Personally I would have initiated a CSC command to shut the drone down the minute I realized I could not control it, yes it would crash but at least it could have been done while in VLOS and you would have some evidence to send back to DJI for analysis and maybe a replacement drone if it was determined to be faulty. Again I understand that doesn't make anything any better.
2018-5-1
Use props
22Charlie
lvl.1
Canada

QuadKid Posted at 2018-5-1 13:12
Sorry again for your loss, it probably drifted quite away in Atti mode before it fell/landed being your altitude was around 350' AGL. This is where experience plays a part. Personally I would have initiated a CSC command to shut the drone down the minute I realized I could not control it, yes it would crash but at least it could have been done while in VLOS and you would have some evidence to send back to DJI for analysis and maybe a replacement drone if it was determined to be faulty. Again I understand that doesn't make anything any better.

Interesting, good to know. Thanks
2018-5-1
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>

22Charlie Posted at 2018-5-1 10:09
Actually - I'm an idiot. I see what you're saying. The compass error should have been rectified prior to take off.

Don't beat yourself up. We all make mistakes.
2018-5-1
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

22Charlie Posted at 2018-5-1 10:33
Crappy way to learn. It's on me

True a Crappy way to Learn.   However, you did Learn.  
Which is better than ignoring a Crappy lesson and repeating it.

2018-5-1
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Woe Posted at 2018-5-1 10:02

You are right a lot of Compass Error warnings, before takeoff.  
What surprises me is log shows 'Auto Takeoff', and does so with Compass Errors.  ('Taking Off; Compass Error')
I would have thought 'Auto Takeoff' would not have engaged or attempt a Takeoff with Compass Error.  
Forcing drone pilot to do a manual Takeoff.
2018-5-1
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-5-1 13:40

You are right a lot of Compass Error warnings, before takeoff.  

Interesting. Never thought of that. But taking off before home point was set may have allowed it to auto takeoff. Maybe . Very good observation.
2018-5-1
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

I feel sorry for your loss. When did you purchase the drone? I suggest contacting our support to start a case. Please contact us at http://www.dji.com/support
2018-5-7
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10318117 ft
Canada

feel terrible for you, lessons are expensive sometimes, one of the reason I don't go near cell phone towers, Suren will back me up on that one. fortunately I found mine, pilot errors happen to a few of us,  when people were saying " oh yeah eventually you will crash" never thought for a minute that would ever happen to me, well I'm back flying after 2 crashes, needless to say I am very cautious nowadays.
2018-5-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules