Phantom series for racing
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djilover10
lvl.2
Flight distance : 63225 ft
United States

Hey guys. I have a question. Would you say that the Phantom series drones are good for racing. I like aerial drone flying but I am also into doing some drone racing. Thanks everybody.
2018-5-1
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha DL10,

Most drone racers build their own drones.  DJI makes racing parts, in particular Snail drone racing parts;

https://store.dji.com/category/t ... ?from=menu_products

Most of the products are out of stock which means they are really good or not very good.

You can flesh out your needs with other components in the Components section of the DJI Store.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-5-1
Use props
djilover10
lvl.2
Flight distance : 63225 ft
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2018-5-1 23:42
Aloha DL10,

Most drone racers build their own drones.  DJI makes racing parts, in particular Snail drone racing parts;

I don’t have the money to be blowing.
2018-5-3
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

djilover10 Posted at 2018-5-3 09:50

I don't think the phantom series would have any chance in the racing world. They are made for photography, and not fast enough or agile enough for the racing world. The guys that do that build there own and they are ridiculously fast and normally pretty small as compared to the phantoms. Those guys spend a small fortune on spare frames, motors, esc's, props, and on and on. The routinely crash them and fix them at the same time. A lot of those racer drones reach speeds of 60-80 mph and more.
2018-5-3
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

djilover10 Posted at 2018-5-3 09:50

Aloha DL10,

In that case you should stay in the sub-Phantom DJI products.  Start with the Tello, then Spark and Mavic Air.  BTW, Tello now has an Android based remote controller.  The Mavic Pro series is in the larger racing drone size and could be an entry level product with the DJI Goggles, but then again that is getting expensive enough to justify any racing drone at any level.

As Ricardo says, DJI products are primarily camera platforms if you are interested in competition and it would only be photographic competition.  But at the Phantom level and below, they are also fun products that can border on racing.  They can certainly allow skill development until you would dive in to the drone racing world.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-5-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules