IMU Warming Up
14340 32 2015-5-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gurnpj
lvl.2
Flight distance : 103609 ft
United States

So I'd hoped that the time between powering up the P3 and actually getting it in the air with GPS and the green go ahead light would have been a lot quicker but with experience the last couple days it feels like the time needed for the P3 has been longer then the P2. For several minutes the Pilot app tells me "IMU Warming Up" and takes longer then expected to be ready to fly. Anyone else noticing the same or am I the only one the has a P3 that seems to take its time with warming up and is ready and able to get up with GPS and everything green?
2015-5-10
Use props
Ulysse
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1389931 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

Better for the quad to take the time to warm up and verify everything is fine than going to dive somewhere isn't it ?
During this time, I verify, once again, that I completed all tasks on my checklist, I verify the sky is clear and the planned route to the spots where I want to take pictures of record a movie.
And even after the warming up, I verify the sensors value.
The Phantom 3 is a stunning imaging tool (I'm speaking about the point of view, not the overall image quality which is beyond any first entry DSLR)...
If I want to "play" and be quickly in the air, I have an EasyGlider (by far less "dangerous" than a quad)
2015-5-10
Use props
leoamartinez
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1602986 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

Having the same issue, "IMU Warming up" takes too much time, could somebody explain us a little? Maybe Tahoe_ED...
2015-5-10
Use props
leoamartinez
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1602986 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

Ulysse Posted at 2015-5-11 03:47
Better for the quad to take the time to warm up and verify everything is fine than going to dive som ...

I agree with you, but the time that takes its too long, there must be something not working right in this firmware or the aircraft...
2015-5-10
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

I'll agree it takes a while. But how do you know, it "takes too long"?   How do you know it does not take exactly the right amount of time it is supposed to?

It did feel like it took less time when it came right out of the box (after adding the 1.1.6 firmware). I'm not certain - but I didn't notice it taking so long back then. So you might be right; it might be taking "too long"

Lets hear from DJI!
2015-5-11
Use props
tokon
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1732707 ft
Germany

I think it takes more time for "IMU Warming Up" since 1.1.8. With 1.1.6 the time was shorter.
Since 1.1.8 I have also noticed an IMU Error for a few seconds while the IMU is warming up. At the end of the warming up everything is ok, no error, sensor values ok.

There must be something wrong with 1.1.8.

2015-5-11
Use props
gurnpj
lvl.2
United States

tokon Posted at 2015-5-11 23:43
I think it takes more time for "IMU Warming Up" since 1.1.8. With 1.1.6 the time was shorter.
Since  ...

Can't say I've noticed the IMU error but I'll watch out for it. Hope they release a new firmware soon. These long waits are killing me.
2015-5-12
Use props
cameronlevine
lvl.1

United States

The last two days my IMU has taken 5 min to warm up each time.
2015-5-17
Use props
C17Jamie
lvl.1
Flight distance : 348022 ft
United States

I've only had mine for 5 or 6 days, but it only takes mine about 5-10 seconds at most.  I haven't had any issues.   Are you maybe in an area where there isn't a clear view to satellites or where there is high electromagnetic interference?
2015-5-18
Use props
gurnpj
lvl.2
United States

C17Jamie Posted at 2015-5-19 07:49
I've only had mine for 5 or 6 days, but it only takes mine about 5-10 seconds at most.  I haven't ha ...

IMU is an internal thing. Has nothing to do with satellites. Have you done the firmware update on yours yet?
2015-5-18
Use props
C17Jamie
lvl.1
Flight distance : 348022 ft
United States

gurnpj@gmail.co Posted at 2015-5-19 08:17
IMU is an internal thing. Has nothing to do with satellites. Have you done the firmware update on  ...

Yes, I did it immediately before my first flight.  I understand IMU sensors and all, but, without being an engineer, I thought maybe a solid GPS lock might help it sync.  I know some big (manned) planes use a blended solution between IRUs and GPS to figure out where it is.
2015-5-18
Use props
steven.sdharris
lvl.3
Flight distance : 384967 ft
United Kingdom

According to one of the DJI guys on another forum you should do the IMU calibration when the Phantom is cold (I left mine outside for an hour one evening), then get the controller on, the pilot app loaded before powering on the Phantom. As soon as the Phantom connects start the calibration. Apparently the calibration runs through a temperature range so when you see IMU warming up it is waiting to get to the temperature range that it was when calibrated.
2015-5-19
Use props
Arvy55
lvl.2

United States

Im also having the same issue, i noticed this long IMU warming up issue eversince i did my first IMU calibration, every now and then everytime i start my Phantom i will have to wait atleast 5 minutes for the IMU warm up process. Well i dont mind waiting, better to wait than losing a 1k quad...
2015-5-19
Use props
classicalle
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8903051 ft
  • >>>
United States

steven.sdharris Posted at 2015-5-19 17:59
According to one of the DJI guys on another forum you should do the IMU calibration when the Phantom ...

Did it solve the problem of warming up during start-up?
2015-5-19
Use props
digitaldave
lvl.2
Flight distance : 752917 ft
United States

I am noticing the same thing. So far my experience is this. I updated the firmware as soon as I received the bird on Friday of last week. Start up time seemed quick to me. After 3rd flight I checked my IMU and asked the app to do a self diagnosis in which i said I needed to calibrate. I initiated the calibration and it was happy again. Every since, I get very long wait times for "IMU Warming up" Definitely a few minutes after a good GPS lock has been made. Wanted to add this here as more possible evidence for DJI. Hopefully it gets cleared up. I was thinking about doing another IMU calibration to see if anything changes a second time.  
2015-5-19
Use props
steven.sdharris
lvl.3
United Kingdom

classicalle@gma Posted at 2015-5-19 23:07
Did it solve the problem of warming up during start-up?

Oh yeah, from that point onwards IMU warming up was displayed for less than 5 seconds, then switched to no GPS and within 20 seconds it had picked enough GPS to display safe to fly, powered up the props and was up in the air in 20-30 seconds from first pushing the button. I guess there is a benefit from the cool May we have had in the UK!

Best bit of advice DJI staff have ever provided in my opinion.
2015-5-19
Use props
hundleton1
First Officer
Flight distance : 2741657 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

as has been said do the IMU call when the phantom is completely cold, you want it as cold as possible, leave the battery out, get it chilled then set up the RC and connect the pad get to the calibration button it will be greyed out until the craft is on,  once your there put the battery in and turn the Phantom on, as soon as it connects to the app click calibrate, this will take about 10 minutes, this solves all the long warmup times and also helps with gimbal issues, after the call reset camera settings and calibrate gimbal

one not switch it to the middle position on the mode switch as it ignores the GPS input as soon as you turn it on to do the callibration
2015-5-19
Use props
classicalle
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8903051 ft
  • >>>
United States

Okay, I put it in the fridge for 3 minutes and then did a calibration. Now there are no warm up times after that. Woohoo!
2015-5-19
Use props
gurnpj
lvl.2
United States

classicalle@gma Posted at 2015-5-20 05:45
Okay, I put it in the fridge for 3 minutes and then did a calibration. Now there are no warm up time ...

Fantastic idea! I'm going to do it!
2015-5-19
Use props
MacNimation
lvl.2

France

i have been flying the P3P with no issues all this week and just for the hell of it, I did an IMU Calibration today. Now every time I turn on the drone it takes 5 minutes to get past the "Warming up" orange message. This never happens prior to the calibration. Something is off here......
2015-5-20
Use props
steven.sdharris
lvl.3
United Kingdom

MacNimation Posted at 2015-5-20 22:19
i have been flying the P3P with no issues all this week and just for the hell of it, I did an IMU Ca ...

Did you try my recommendation above - i.e. put the P3 somewhere cool for an hour, then quickly recalibrate on initial power on. Cut mine and others IMU warm up down to seconds.
2015-5-20
Use props
MacNimation
lvl.2

Ireland

steven.sdharris Posted at 2015-5-21 03:42
Did you try my recommendation above - i.e. put the P3 somewhere cool for an hour, then quickly rec ...

The drone is cold when I try it. Although it might be a solution, the idea of having to put it in the fridge dosn't make sense.
Prior to the first manual calibration, it was almost instant.
2015-5-20
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

I deliberately avoided calibrating my IMU after reading about these reports of the long "calibrating IMU" messages people have reported after performing an IMU cal.

I am really glad to hear that folks have discovered a workaround.  I guess I can calibrate my IMU if needed.  (Just refrigerate before calibrating.)
2015-5-20
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

tokon Posted at 2015-5-11 23:43
Since  ...

Similar concerns on this morning's flight. Initially, I got a warning of an "IMU Error" and it was recommended I calibrate the IMU. I had to futz around for a few seconds to find the right screen to check/calibrate. By that time (10 - 15 seconds) the IMU appeared to be okay. Got the green light on the app to indicate I could fly with GPS.

I did have to go through a compass calibration - this was the first flight from a location other than from home.
2015-5-20
Use props
gurnpj
lvl.2
United States

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-5-21 05:33
Similar concerns on this morning's flight. Initially, I got a warning of an "IMU Error" and it was ...

After refrigeration mine is ready to fly immediately!
2015-5-20
Use props
digitaldave
lvl.2
United States

steven.sdharris Posted at 2015-5-20 04:04
Oh yeah, from that point onwards IMU warming up was displayed for less than 5 seconds, then switche ...

Ok, can anyone explain why this works? Why would cold effect the IMU calibration? Whats the science behind this?!?! lol, Im very curious about understanding they why behind the how...

P.S. i live in South Florida so the fridge method will have to be the way for me. There is no 'cool here at the moment'. Even inside the average temp of the craft will be above 78º F
2015-5-20
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

digitaldave Posted at 2015-5-21 08:04
Ok, can anyone explain why this works? Why would cold effect the IMU calibration? Whats the scienc ...

Here here! It's the same here in central Florida. No wine gets served here at room temp! LOL
2015-5-20
Use props
digitaldave
lvl.2
United States

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-5-21 09:01
Here here! It's the same here in central Florida. No wine gets served here at room temp! LOL

Yep! Im not complaining tho. We have good flight weather all year round
2015-5-20
Use props
niek
New

Netherlands

digitaldave Posted at 2015-5-21 12:26
Yep! Im not complaining tho. We have good flight weather all year round

The first post is from month 5, now its August and the problem is not been solved yet... Why is this ?
My 3 prof  is also warming up , and asking for a update (but i have the latest app and firmware) .  The aircraft most of the time will not start, after power of and on sometimes it will work.
2015-8-24
Use props
spheasant1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

steven.sdharris Posted at 2015-5-19 17:59
According to one of the DJI guys on another forum you should do the IMU calibration when the Phantom ...

I echo this......you shouldn't be taking MINUTES for the IMU to warm up....if so, you need to perform an IMU calibration.  As Steven states, the craft needs to be "cold"....you don't really need to put in in the refrigerator as some have done (this is actually a bit dangerous due to moisture in the fridge), but put it in a cool area for about 1/2 or so - an air conditioned room would be good.  

Make sure you have have a very level surface ready for your craft and make sure you have everything else powered up (tablet/controller) and ready to go on the IMU calibration page.  When ready, pull your Phantom on the level surface...turn it on....and when connected and ready to go, hit the IMU calibration button.
2015-8-24
Use props
ag0n
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

I second that.  I got a shock a few days ago when I got up and saw that it was 37 degrees (F) outside.  I immediately put the P3 out on the level spot, waited 30 minutes, and did an IMU calibration, followed by a gimbal calibration.  My warm up went from several minutes down to 10 second!  Love it!  When it gets colder, I'll do it again.  Right now, with summer temps, it is ready to go by the time I get everything connected.
2015-8-25
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

I chilled my Phantom 3 down good and had the radio and app ready on the IMU calibration page.
Popped in a fresh battery and hit the button. It ran through the calibration in the ordinary amount of time.
But now, when I turn on my radio, then power up the Phantom,  by the time my iPad Air 2 reboots, the
Phantom already has green lights blinking, and it's Go time on the App.

She is ready to fly, so fast now..
I still do the preflight check list, and run through the various parameters in the App.

RedHotPoker
2015-8-25
Use props
clive.cook67
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Hi all, I did have the same problem but i then read to do an imu calibration when your phantom is cold, best way to acieve this is in a server room but if you put your phantom outside with the battery removed for about 30 mins then do your imu calibration then it will still work fine. the trickmis to be ready on your pilot app to hit the imu calibration button as soon as your power your phantom up. I did this and now my imu warm up is alot quicker.
2015-8-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules