DJI charging hub is a waste of $
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
warloc59
lvl.3
Flight distance : 209160 ft
  • >>>

So I purchased a charging hub to charge and discharge 3 batteries at a time with my P4P..  Charges, one, then on to the next till all 3 are charged.  But when it comes to using the hub in “Storage Mode”, it’s junk.  I had it plugged in all day, 14 hours later one battery appeared to be at storage capacity, while the other two all leds were flashing and stuck in limbo.  Is there a better 3rd party charging hub out there?  Currently looking for a 3Rd party hub.  You have to remember everything DJI is made in China. Shouldn’t surprise you.
2018-5-2
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

What you're describing above is exactly how the charging hub is supposed to work. While it doesn't charge batteries faster, I like using it since it's more convenient than manually switching each battery on the charger as they finish charging.

There's no need to attempt to discharge batteries. As long as you don't press the battery button, they will start auto discharging down to the storage level within 10 days. It will take 1-3 days beyond that point to complete the discharge process (it depends on the current charge level of the battery). You can decrease that 10 day waiting period in the following section of DJI GO:

The above setting is stored on the battery, so you'll need to change it for each battery. And it'll need to be reset if you ever install new firmware on your batteries (since that causes the setting to default back to 10 days).

There are some good 3rd party chargers/hubs that are able to charge multiple batteries at the same time. Keep in mind that DJI will not cover damages caused by 3rd party accessories.
2018-5-2
Use props
warloc59
lvl.3
Flight distance : 209160 ft
  • >>>

I’ve always set my batteries to discharge after 2 days.  So when the hub is set to “ discharge function” The  batteries will not discharge until what you have set each battery for?  All they did was stamped the words discharge on switch to further entice you to buy it.  Which means it’s nothing more than a charger. So why the discharge function?  DJ has purposely misled us on that.  I demand a partial refund if that’s the case.  
2018-5-2
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

warloc59 Posted at 2018-5-2 06:27
I’ve always set my batteries to discharge after 2 days.  So when the hub is set to “ discharge function” The  batteries will not discharge until what you have set each battery for?  All they did was stamped the words discharge on switch to further entice you to buy it.  Which means it’s nothing more than a charger. So why the discharge function?  DJ has purposely misled us on that.  I demand a partial refund if that’s the case.

The Hub does not have a "discharge" function. It has a "storage" mode and a charge mode. In charge mode it charges the batteries sequentially (one after the other, not all at the same time...) In Storage mode it will bring all the batteries to nearly 50%, charging the ones which are below that level and discharging  those  over that level. This is exactly what it promises to do and has been doing for me  in the last year... maybe it's just because I have read the manual?
2018-5-2
Use props
Landbo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

Yes weird, my hub work exactly as the manual and Antonio76 describes.   

Regards Leif.
2018-5-2
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Antonio76 Posted at 2018-5-2 06:57
The Hub does not have a "discharge" function. It has a "storage" mode and a charge mode. In charge mode it charges the batteries sequentially (one after the other, not all at the same time...) In Storage mode it will bring all the batteries to nearly 50%, charging the ones which are below that level and discharging  those  over that level. This is exactly what it promises to do and has been doing for me  in the last year... maybe it's just because I have read the manual?

The term 'discharge function' is assuming that people fully charge their batteries after use until next use.
When there is no need for batteries for a longer term, storage function = discharging.

For those who leave their batteries discharged after flying, which is not recommended as far as I know,
the storage function would be a 'charge function'.
2018-5-2
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>
Germany

warloc59 Posted at 2018-5-2 06:27

There are two ways to discharge a battery if not needed for a longer period:
You either set the amount of X days in the app and the battery starts discharging itself accordingly until it reached that long term storage 'comfort' level.
That happens without the battery being connected to a charger. Once the discharge process has begun you can feel it: It gets warm.
If you want to override/speed up this process, e.g. when you want to take batteries on a plane, you put them in the charging hub which you set to 'Storage'.
You don't wait for days but only for hours....
2018-5-2
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

Eric13 Posted at 2018-5-2 13:20
The term 'discharge function' is assuming that people fully charge their batteries after use until next use.
When there is no need for batteries for a longer term, storage function = discharging.

Eric13, I don't mean to be nitpicking, but this is over-simplification. It does not depend on people fully charging their batteries right after flying, it depends on bringing all batteries to a safe level (50%) for storing them when one -for whatever reason- is not going to use them for a certain time, no matter what the level is on each battery before starting the process.  Personally I don't charge my batteries at the end of the day,  I prefer doing it on the day I'm going to fly, so if at the end of the day I am left with two batteries at 15% and one at, say, 70%, I put all three in the hub in storage mode and end up with three batteries at 50%.
2018-5-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules