ND filters screw or slide
433 3 2018-5-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Datadogie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 27028 ft
Netherlands

I bought the cheaper slide on filters and see so many buying the threaded ones. Now as has been said so many times there is no glass on the threaded barrel you take off. Are there any benifits to one or the other?

2018-5-2
Use props
Breezer74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 20072 ft

United Kingdom

I'm not 100% but as far as I know you can only fit slide on with the pro - I don't own one so happy to be corrected.
With the air they are best with screw on.  You remove the ring that is fitted (no glass) and screw in the filter.  This keeps the size and weight low for improved gimbal performance. If you slide a filter over the existing ring you are adding weight and bulk which can both cause issues with the gimbal.
2018-5-2
Use props
Datadogie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 27028 ft

Breezer74 Posted at 2018-5-2 05:56
I'm not 100% but as far as I know you can only fit slide on with the pro - I don't own one so happy to be corrected.
With the air they are best with screw on.  You remove the ring that is fitted (no glass) and screw in the filter.  This keeps the size and weight low for improved gimbal performance. If you slide a filter over the existing ring you are adding weight and bulk which can both cause issues with the gimbal.

As I said "I bought the cheap slide on for my Air" I have only tried them once and they seem to do the job for my old eyes. Hopefully, the gimble will not be affected.
2018-5-2
Use props
Breezer74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 20072 ft

United Kingdom

Datadogie Posted at 2018-5-2 09:51
As I said "I bought the cheap slide on for my Air" I have only tried them once and they seem to do the job for my old eyes. Hopefully, the gimble will not be affected.

Actually you didn't state anywhere in the title or text which Mavic you have.

"I bought the cheaper slide on filters and see so many buying the threaded ones. Now as has been said so many times there is no glass on the threaded barrel you take off. Are there any benifits to one or the other?"

This was the reason I answered the way I did, trying to be helpful.  The slide on filters you have will indeed work, as you have proven, but as they add extra weight they will put more stress on the gimbal motors.  The extra bulk may or may not cause issues with fouling on extremes of movement, especially upwards.  The benefit though is probably being able to change filters more quickly.  The screw on filters are better in every other way, quality of construction being equal.
2018-5-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules