P2V & P2V+ Wifi extender security concerns
5981 15 2014-10-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
swomilan
lvl.4

Mexico

Multiple instances of the App can connect to the Wifi Extender at any time while in range however only the first connected instance can see the Video, telemetry and can use the Groundstation however any of the connected instances can change the SSID of the extender if they obtain the MAC address which could mean that a hacker can drop the connection of the first instance by changing the SSID and use the Groundstation app to "steal" the Phantom while the pilot is trying to figure out what the hell is going on.
The likelihood of this happening is low but the popularity of the Phantoms may encourage some jokers to make our life miserable. Please add a user configurable PW to the wifi connection to make the hacking task more difficult.
2014-10-31
Use props
sean.batson
New

Canada

This is also a concern of mine but for some weird reason DJI thinks this is a paid for level 2 feature under their sdk program, what madness.There's already an open source git hub project being built to hijack an aircraft due to no default security!

https://github.com/noahwilliamsson/dji-phantom-vision
2014-12-4
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

You can cancel the Ground Station and regain control at any time by flipping S1.
2014-12-4
Use props
umpa
lvl.4

United Kingdom

johnwarr Good, I was having a few concerns about why there is no encryption.  Thing is - when I did my waypoint excursion I lost sight of the drone.  They are incredibly hard to see against white clouds.

I guess I could always hit failsafe ?

So the procedure would be - toggle S1 to Atti and back to GPS then either controller OFF or switch 1 down in to failsafe (if you have configured it that way) ?
2014-12-4
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
United Kingdom

Honestly I have no concerns over someone trying to hack my range extender, not that it has been proved to be possible anyway.
You have to have the phone very close to the extender to connect, try walking away with your phone and you will lose connection within a few feet, so the hacker in theory would have to be standing almost next to you.
2014-12-4
Use props
sean.batson
New

Canada

johnwarr@live.c Posted at 2014-12-4 21:36
Honestly I have no concerns over someone trying to hack my range extender, not that it has been prov ...

There is no security between extender and world, also no security between extender and phantom so in theory someone can telnet directly to the phantom and give it commands... With an interface available to enable Wifi password protection then that closes one open loop.
2014-12-4
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
United Kingdom

I can do almost anything IN THEORY, putting things into practice is a whole other ball game....lol
2014-12-4
Use props
shinhophotograp
New

United Kingdom

Hi is there any news on this, i was flying my PV2+ today, and my wifi feed went weird, kids in the park were up to something
had to call it back switch off and start again, my wife said she could connect to the phantom wifi in the car park i was 300ft away

i am not concerned about it being hacked more of it being interrupted in flight
2014-12-6
Use props
kenargo
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I have doubt that the kids hacked into your Phantom and it's even odd that your wife could connect from 300' away since I'm not so sure how well the connection would be (the connection from extender to Phantom goes a good long way but from the extender to the phone is quite short).

Given how close your phone was to the extender you would have had more than enough signal to maintain the connection to the extender over anyone else in the area so I suspect it's more likely that your phone lost the wifi connection for some reason.  I could see if the kids had a WIFI blocker they may have been able to block out the wifi Phantom to extender but they would have needed to be closer to the Phantom than you and even still had a very string blocker.  Even if someone broke through the worse they can do, for the most part, is tell the Phantom to go home.

IMO, this thread is just a bit over the top for possibilities and is like being concerned about being hit my a meteor while standing in a corn field on 1 foot at noon.  aka, highly unlikely.
2014-12-6
Use props
kenargo
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

How to enable encryption in the Phantom and extender:

http://phantommods.info/encrypt-phantom-wifi/
2014-12-7
Use props
kenargo
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

And a matching video to show how to do it and what else you can (safely) modify.

2014-12-7
Use props
applekiller
lvl.3
Flight distance : 138458 ft
Canada

This is a very interesting post @kenargo !    I like the idea of enabling encryption (i'm an IT guy)...  but I'm wondering if there is some reason not to?  (performance, range, stability)...  It seems it has the capability out of the box which makes me wonder why DJI didn't enable as default...  I suspect there may be reasons as to why they didn't ?
2014-12-9
Use props
kenargo
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

The main issue I see about setting encryption and a password is around forgetting it; reading the various threads of people that had forgotten the password left them with a pretty white box; there is no way to reset or flash the device in order to clear the password.  Wow, that protection for you!

The L1 SDK for the Phantom allows you to set password and encryption now so the elaborate steps to get Luci installed really isn't needed anymore though it may be easier than needing to write a small app.

Perhaps DJI will add this in the future.

Personally, I'm really not so concerned about someone hacking the Phantom, at least not currently.
2014-12-9
Use props
swomilan.email
lvl.4

Mexico

DJI are you ready for this http://www.forbes.com/sites/thom ... e-takes-down-drone/
Seems like he's targeting DJI next ;)
2015-1-29
Use props
Thampiss.gmail
New

Canada

While renaming the range extender ID in the DJI vision app, is it possible to drop the word "phantom" altogether, because that immediately identifies the network as being drone related, and perhaps hack worthy .

I ask because I'm still awaiting my first drone all the way from Shenzen, PRC!
2015-2-1
Use props
stock12to32
lvl.3

United States

There are apps on the Play Store for the phantom like FPV Booster that allows you to set passwords and even change the wifi channel. I dont think this does anything for the phantom side but i think your chances of a motor going out or somthing else happening is much greater then somone hacking you phantom.
Before I fly I use WiFi Analyzer to see what channels are not being used in the area im in and I set the Phantom to use that channel with this app.

Edit:
I have just been informed that FPV Booster for the phantom 2 Vision (and +)  is on the App Store as well.
2015-2-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules