How to edit your Spark footage part 3: Color Grading
2488 15 2018-5-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RobertWSimpson
Second Officer
Flight distance : 927185 ft

https://youtu.be/1r4sGREOlkM

Hope everyone enjoys the third and final part of my series on editing your Spark footage!

Let me know what you think!
2018-5-3
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

Spark footage is more the sprinkles on the cup cake.  It shouldn't be the main camera/cupcake.  Hard to pull that off.  The color grading up the highlights saturation should be helpful for my truck's oil pan removal video.  Getting under truck strafing moves with the Spark while I pull off the front differential.  

I use iMovie to copy one clip with the color fixed, then select other clips and Edit drop down to Apply Color Correction which sets the selected clips to the same color grade.  Not sure if Final Cut can do that.

2018-5-3
Use props
Aurelian (Spark)
First Officer
Flight distance : 903350 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-5-3 22:07
Spark footage is more the sprinkles on the cup cake.  It shouldn't be the main camera/cupcake.  Hard to pull that off.  The color grading up the highlights saturation should be helpful for my truck's oil pan removal video.  Getting under truck strafing moves with the Spark while I pull off the front differential.  

I use iMovie to copy one clip with the color fixed, then select other clips and Edit drop down to Apply Color Correction which sets the selected clips to the same color grade.  Not sure if Final Cut can do that.

You have this option available in Final Cut Pro to. Copy and paste all the effects from a clip to other.
2018-5-4
Use props
RobertWSimpson
Second Officer

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-5-3 22:07
Spark footage is more the sprinkles on the cup cake.  It shouldn't be the main camera/cupcake.  Hard to pull that off.  The color grading up the highlights saturation should be helpful for my truck's oil pan removal video.  Getting under truck strafing moves with the Spark while I pull off the front differential.  

I use iMovie to copy one clip with the color fixed, then select other clips and Edit drop down to Apply Color Correction which sets the selected clips to the same color grade.  Not sure if Final Cut can do that.

Thanks for the tip! I believe that final cut can do everything that iMovie can do plus some. It’s not the best software out there but it works. I’ve seen the auto color matching button, but I just don’t trust it. Maybe I’ll give it a shot and see what happens.
2018-5-4
Use props
RobertWSimpson
Second Officer

Aurelian (Spark) Posted at 2018-5-4 00:30
You have this option available in Final Cut Pro to. Copy and paste all the effects from a clip to other.

That’s not exactly what he is talking about I think. What he is talking about is if you shoot two different clips at two different white balances or exposures, there is a built in automatic color matching function.  I just choose to do it manually instead.
2018-5-4
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

RobertWSimpson Posted at 2018-5-4 19:45
That’s not exactly what he is talking about I think. What he is talking about is if you shoot two different clips at two different white balances or exposures, there is a built in automatic color matching function.  I just choose to do it manually instead.

No, it pastes the color settings to the rest of the clips.  I only have to adjust one clip to the way I like it to look, then paste the settings to all the other clips I select.

It should be the same effect as grouping but it gives me more flexibility to select two clips here, one clip there, and four clips at the end, for pasting the adjustments onto.
2018-5-5
Use props
Aurelian (Spark)
First Officer
  • >>>
Spain

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-5-5 00:11
No, it pastes the color settings to the rest of the clips.  I only have to adjust one clip to the way I like it to look, then paste the settings to all the other clips I select.

It should be the same effect as grouping but it gives me more flexibility to select two clips here, one clip there, and four clips at the end, for pasting the adjustments onto.

This is work if you have the same exposure in all the clips. If not, you have to copy and paste the effects and adjust manual the exposure and other values for each video. For example, you can leave the same saturation for all the clips.
2018-5-5
Use props
RobertWSimpson
Second Officer

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-5-5 00:11
No, it pastes the color settings to the rest of the clips.  I only have to adjust one clip to the way I like it to look, then paste the settings to all the other clips I select.

It should be the same effect as grouping but it gives me more flexibility to select two clips here, one clip there, and four clips at the end, for pasting the adjustments onto.

ah ok yes, I've used that definitely.  It's a fairly new feature actually, and the one thing that I don't like about it (at least that I've been able to figure out how to do) is that you don't have the ability to be selective with what you're pasting... for example, if you have color grading applied and the clip is retimed, but the next clip that you are working on will be at normal time, you can't just paste the color grading.  You have to paste everything and then undo whatever you didn't want.  It's little, I know, but it's annoying.

Good points though, I am sure that there are tons of people out there who don't know about that feature!
2018-5-7
Use props
RobertWSimpson
Second Officer

Aurelian (Spark) Posted at 2018-5-5 00:30
This is work if you have the same exposure in all the clips. If not, you have to copy and paste the effects and adjust manual the exposure and other values for each video. For example, you can leave the same saturation for all the clips.

The goal is always to have the exact same exposure.  Since that is done when you're shooting the clips, I didn't mention it, but you're very right.  That is why I try to always shoot on manual.

More specifically, it also only works if you are copying to a different shot of the same or similar scene.  for example, you wouldn't copy settings from a shot in daylight to a shot at night time.
2018-5-7
Use props
Aurelian (Spark)
First Officer
  • >>>
Spain

RobertWSimpson Posted at 2018-5-7 09:55
The goal is always to have the exact same exposure.  Since that is done when you're shooting the clips, I didn't mention it, but you're very right.  That is why I try to always shoot on manual.

More specifically, it also only works if you are copying to a different shot of the same or similar scene.  for example, you wouldn't copy settings from a shot in daylight to a shot at night time.

Right! Different scenes, different light, different settings.
2018-5-7
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

RobertWSimpson Posted at 2018-5-7 09:53
ah ok yes, I've used that definitely.  It's a fairly new feature actually, and the one thing that I don't like about it (at least that I've been able to figure out how to do) is that you don't have the ability to be selective with what you're pasting... for example, if you have color grading applied and the clip is retimed, but the next clip that you are working on will be at normal time, you can't just paste the color grading.  You have to paste everything and then undo whatever you didn't want.  It's little, I know, but it's annoying.

Good points though, I am sure that there are tons of people out there who don't know about that feature!

No, you do have the ability to be selective with what effects you are pasting.  You can paste only the color adjustments or just speed.  Or, a bunch of other stuff.  I just paste in the color correction once I get one clip right.  I also do a lot of pasting Volume settings.  Maybe Pro doesn't have this like iMovie does and instead uses a different proceedure.

Path:  Edit/Paste Adjustments/ (All, Color Correction, Crop, Volume, Video Effect, Audio Effect, Speed, Video Overlay Settings, Map Style)
2018-5-7
Use props
RobertWSimpson
Second Officer

Aurelian (Spark) Posted at 2018-5-7 11:19
Right! Different scenes, different light, different settings.

exactly!  plus, variety is the spice of life, so perhaps different settings on some of the exact same scenes, if that's what floats your boat!
2018-5-7
Use props
RobertWSimpson
Second Officer

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-5-7 12:35
No, you do have the ability to be selective with what effects you are pasting.  You can paste only the color adjustments or just speed.  Or, a bunch of other stuff.  I just paste in the color correction once I get one clip right.  I also do a lot of pasting Volume settings.  Maybe Pro doesn't have this like iMovie does and instead uses a different proceedure.

Path:  Edit/Paste Adjustments/ (All, Color Correction, Crop, Volume, Video Effect, Audio Effect, Speed, Video Overlay Settings, Map Style)

wow, I just totally learned something new!

So, in FCPX, it's slightly different (who knows why) but there is one option to paste effects, which pastes everything as far as I can tell (I refuse to use this one) but there is another item in the edit menu that says paste attributes (why is this different from effects???) and it gives me check boxes for effects effects, transformations (position rotation etc), crop, volume, and pan.  Plus I am guessing that if I had other stuff applied to the copy clip, it would show up here.  Thank you for making me learn my software a little bit better than I knew it yesterday!
2018-5-7
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice one   
2018-5-7
Use props
RobertWSimpson
Second Officer