Map info when flying without a data enabled tablet?
1168 8 2015-5-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sultangris01
lvl.4

United States

How/what do you guys do?  I bought a tablet to use for a display but without the data connection the maps dont show up and it pretty well sucks and i have zero need for a tablet other than to fly this thing with a larger screen so Im not gonna get a data enabled one with a monthly fee just for maps.  I have a samsung galaxy note 4 that works great other than size so i went back to using that instead but wouldnt mind a maximum size possible screen for flying, is there a workaround/fix for this problem?  i know you can download a small portion of the map offline but that doesnt work for my needs, i fly all over the country.  Thanks.
2015-5-10
Use props
patou72
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3316614 ft
Switzerland

You will need to find some free hotspots I guess
2015-5-10
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

Smart phone have a hot spot feature?? use that as well in the field..Remember to shut it down before preflight.
Some cars now have wifi as well.

The vehicle I'm using daily (Charger AWD) has a rolling hot spot and will be my vehicle when I go on shoots tech is wild now days
Man this hobby is getting expensive..
2015-5-10
Use props
panox
lvl.3
Flight distance : 568819 ft
Germany

I'm living in Germany and I have subscribed an netzclub-account for free. I have 500 MB traffic/month with my tablet and a mobile-connection. This is an ad-sponsored account. I get very few advertising.
2015-5-10
Use props
1N5PIRED
New

United States

Use the cache map in background option when you have wifi access, this will give you a map to use when you are outside.
2015-5-12
Use props
sultangris01
lvl.4

United States

Colonel Angus Posted at 2015-5-11 15:14
Smart phone have a hot spot feature?? use that as well in the field..Remember to shut it down before ...

ah good point, could do that! duh, lol!  why shut it down preflight? i use my phone now and never shut nothing off and havent had an issue.  I just plug it in and fly.
2015-5-13
Use props
sultangris01
lvl.4

United States

panox Posted at 2015-5-11 15:18
I'm living in Germany and I have subscribed an netzclub-account for free. I have 500 MB traffic/mont ...

interesting, wonder if that works in the states, not sure how much data it actually uses, but that might be enough.
2015-5-13
Use props
kalaniaj
New

United States

Go into setting on the DJI app and enable "cache map in background"
2015-5-13
Use props
sultangris01
lvl.4

United States

kalaniaj@yahoo. Posted at 2015-5-14 05:33
Go into setting on the DJI app and enable "cache map in background"

i know how to save portions of the map offline, but as previously explained i travel too much and go to far too many places to make this a viable option, i much prefer to have active data connection, i think the hotspot theory should work quite nicely and im surprised i didnt think of it myself, kind of a brain fart i guess, lol!
2015-5-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules