Beehives return after River Flooding.
1426 26 2018-5-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Drones Point of View - Paul Tomo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 607336 ft

The beehives are all returned after the flooded River Trent subsides. Early in April our local river flooded and my beehives needed to be moved to heigher ground, over the last couple of days i have put the beehives back where they belong.

I also took the opertunity to record some audio to the drone footage and try to sync the two together and hopefuly better myself in producing better drone footage for others to see and better still get some work using the drone.

I would be most greatful if any of you videographers out there could give me some feedback on what you see, practice makes you better.

Many thanks for watching
2018-5-5
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Glad you are back in business
2018-5-5
Use props
DEUCEDOG
First Officer
Flight distance : 2501575 ft
United Kingdom

Keep doing what your doing ... looks good to me , only one thing i would like to know a bit more about your bees , what type and numbers  etc ?
Good work
2018-5-5
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

Thank you so much for doing updates like this, i think you managed to get the sound alright and i didn't notice any rare out of sync but of cause it could have looked different if close enough to better see you speaking. Only thing i would mention is that being an update it would be nice if you added the links to the previous videos with part 1 and part 2 for a quick review or for the ones that got interested and didn't notice those.

Keep up the good work
2018-5-5
Use props
lvl.4

KedDK Posted at 2018-5-5 23:11
Thank you so much for doing updates like this, i think you managed to get the sound alright and i didn't notice any rare out of sync but of cause it could have looked different if close enough to better see you speaking. Only thing i would mention is that being an update it would be nice if you added the links to the previous videos with part 1 and part 2 for a quick review or for the ones that got interested and didn't notice those.

Keep up the good work

Hi KedDK,  Thank you very much for the feedback and I also appreciate you taking the time comment,  I appreciate all the other comments has well, Thank you.

One problem I have with the mic set-set is the ambient sound that the Rode Lav mic has and if I bring the P4P to close the noise gets louder and I think will be annoying for viewers to sit a listen to. I do have a Rode NTG2 boom mic that I am planning on using for future video's, the only problem is that the boom mic will be visible.

I you know a way around this KedDK please let me know and I'll have another attempt. I will sort some kind of a better script next time with more information about the bees, thanks for bringing that up by the way.

I should have made a link to the other two video's but I didn't know how to link all three together, if you could help I will link all three video's together.

Thanks again KedDK for your support.
2018-5-6
Use props
lvl.4

DEUCEDOG Posted at 2018-5-5 13:26
Keep doing what your doing ... looks good to me , only one thing i would like to know a bit more about your bees , what type and numbers  etc ?
Good work

I will put more info on about the bees now you mention it, thanks for the feedback. What part of the uk are you if you don't mind me asking.
2018-5-6
Use props
lvl.4

Rodger8 Posted at 2018-5-5 13:18
Glad you are back in business

Thanks Rodger8
2018-5-6
Use props
DEUCEDOG
First Officer
Flight distance : 2501575 ft
United Kingdom

Drones Point of View - Paul Tomo Posted at 2018-5-6 00:03
I will put more info on about the bees now you mention it, thanks for the feedback. What part of the uk are you if you don't mind me asking.

I am located in West Sussex about 6 miles from Gatwick ,  It's nice to see this drone tech being used for  different things
2018-5-6
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Denmark

Drones Point of View - Paul Tomo Posted at 2018-5-6 00:01
Hi KedDK,  Thank you very much for the feedback and I also appreciate you taking the time comment,  I appreciate all the other comments has well, Thank you.

One problem I have with the mic set-set is the ambient sound that the Rode Lav mic has and if I bring the P4P to close the noise gets louder and I think will be annoying for viewers to sit a listen to. I do have a Rode NTG2 boom mic that I am planning on using for future video's, the only problem is that the boom mic will be visible.

Beside the noise from the props that obvious is not easy to get rid of the only thing i can think of is that it might be the ultrasonic sensors that might send out something that gets picked up by the mic.
Also the mic build into the +RC get some strange sounds and a lot of the videos you see here recorded on a phone for support/documentation get some clicking noise when inside or close to the AC. This could be some electronic interference but i doubt it as i think regulations should not allow it being that powerful.
Try disable the downward sensors/VPS and see if that improve anything.
2018-5-6
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Cool video, thanks for sharing.
2018-5-6
Use props
DanbyUrgess
Second Officer
United States

Very good job! It was a good test so that when you use the drone's tracking app for movement, the narration will follow the video. You're right, when the bird gets too close you'll get the annoying buzz, so another option is to keep distance when on camera, then narrate in post production when you're off camera, but closer. Record some ambient drone noise to use to keep continuity. Keep up the good work!
2018-5-7
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice shot
2018-5-7
Use props
lvl.4

DanbyUrgess Posted at 2018-5-7 04:29
Very good job! It was a good test so that when you use the drone's tracking app for movement, the narration will follow the video. You're right, when the bird gets too close you'll get the annoying buzz, so another option is to keep distance when on camera, then narrate in post production when you're off camera, but closer. Record some ambient drone noise to use to keep continuity. Keep up the good work!

I never thought about the tracking app on the drone, I can try the next time I go down and do some more video's. It would help me on to use a video camera as well to tell a better educational video on the beekeeping side. I would like to do more video's on beekeeping but I'm not sure how much the drone can be used in the videoing of beekeeping.

2018-5-9
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 14044580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Good vid   
2018-5-9
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Denmark

Drones Point of View - Paul Tomo Posted at 2018-5-9 14:32
I never thought about the tracking app on the drone, I can try the next time I go down and do some more video's. It would help me on to use a video camera as well to tell a better educational video on the beekeeping side. I would like to do more video's on beekeeping but I'm not sure how much the drone can be used in the videoing of beekeeping.

"not sure how much the drone can be used in the videoing of beekeeping."
Just make sure it is not placed in their flight route as this could result in a nasty mess!
2018-5-10
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Good job - the idea of clapping your hands to give you a point for synchronisation is simple and elegant. Hadn't thought of that.
KedDK's suggestion of disabling the VPS is valid as the ultra-sonic will have an effect on audio if the mic is within range. Only thing is, it won't be as stable if you want it sitting below 10m. Something to balance.
But now you have me thinking of how you could use an app like Litchi to create some close proximity waypoints with left/right/up/down movements while keeping the camera focus on the centre of the hives. You could script yourself to align, knowing where each movement will take it next.

2018-5-10
Use props
Oldmaninwva
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9750253 ft
United States

Enjoyed your vid...  Am looking to get into beekeeping myself when I retire the second time.  
2018-5-10
Use props
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Punchbuggy Posted at 2018-5-10 14:49
Good job - the idea of clapping your hands to give you a point for synchronisation is simple and elegant. Hadn't thought of that.
KedDK's suggestion of disabling the VPS is valid as the ultra-sonic will have an effect on audio if the mic is within range. Only thing is, it won't be as stable if you want it sitting below 10m. Something to balance.
But now you have me thinking of how you could use an app like Litchi to create some close proximity waypoints with left/right/up/down movements while keeping the camera focus on the centre of the hives. You could script yourself to align, knowing where each movement will take it next.

I will try without the VPS over next week when i have more time to make video's without working on the beehives as it gets very sticky and messy when working inside the beehive, i don't want to mess up my drones and my video camera.

The use of the waypoints is a very good idea and i think using the waypoint at a very slow speed will work very well, i have also thought about using the P3P has this is a little less noisy than the P4P.

Would you think i would be cheating the use of the drone if i used my hand held video camera for the close up work like looking at the workings inside the hive then go for the longer shots using the drone.
2018-5-10
Use props
lvl.4
United Kingdom

KedDK Posted at 2018-5-10 00:10
"not sure how much the drone can be used in the videoing of beekeeping."
Just make sure it is not placed in their flight route as this could result in a nasty mess!

I think if i stay high enough and not to close i will be out of the flight path of the bees, i know that flies will fly high and they get caught up in blades and end up all over the body of the drone, thats messy.

Thanks for the warning though.
2018-5-10
Use props
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Oldmaninwva Posted at 2018-5-10 15:06
Enjoyed your vid...  Am looking to get into beekeeping myself when I retire the second time.

You will enjoy having the bees and they are so relaxing and you are doing your bit for the environment. Thanks for the comment.
2018-5-10
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Drones Point of View - Paul Tomo Posted at 2018-5-10 22:36
You will enjoy having the bees and they are so relaxing and you are doing your bit for the environment. Thanks for the comment.

Aloha Paul

Mahalo for the update and the lesson using the editing spikes tool.  It looks like it worked real well.  Good to see the bees are back and the environment looks healthy.  I hope the flood provided some good fertilization.  Keep us posted!

Mahalo again!

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-5-11
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Drones Point of View - Paul Tomo Posted at 2018-5-10 22:28
I will try without the VPS over next week when i have more time to make video's without working on the beehives as it gets very sticky and messy when working inside the beehive, i don't want to mess up my drones and my video camera.

The use of the waypoints is a very good idea and i think using the waypoint at a very slow speed will work very well, i have also thought about using the P3P has this is a little less noisy than the P4P.

Haha. Hey Paul, it's never cheating to use different methods of video capture. The P4P is just another tool in your toolbox. I'd love to see more of the inside...
2018-5-11
Use props
lvl.4

Punchbuggy Posted at 2018-5-11 20:54
Haha. Hey Paul, it's never cheating to use different methods of video capture. The P4P is just another tool in your toolbox. I'd love to see more of the inside...

I will be making another video then, I've got a week off work so i'll make the video this week and post it on here and also upload it to my youtube channel which is paultomo 1000.

Thanks for your support Punchbuggy.
2018-5-11
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Denmark

Punchbuggy Posted at 2018-5-10 14:49
KedDK's suggestion of disabling the VPS is valid as the ultra-sonic will have an effect on audio if the mic is within range. Only thing is, it won't be as stable if you want it sitting below 10m. Something to balance.
But now you have me thinking of how you could use an app like Litchi to create some close proximity waypoints with left/right/up/down movements while keeping the camera focus on the centre of the hives. You could script yourself to align, knowing where each movement will take it next.

I am not even sure it actually get disabled when turned off or if it just log the readings and simply ignore what it sense.
The other day i had one of those ultrasonic sensor errors reported in other threads and i always have my sensors disabled.
I have got my doubts after posting this above but still worth a try to see if it improves the sound interference caused by the Phantom.
2018-5-11
Use props
lvl.4

KedDK Posted at 2018-5-11 22:19
I am not even sure it actually get disabled when turned off or if it just log the readings and simply ignore what it sense.
The other day i had one of those ultrasonic sensor errors reported in other threads and i always have my sensors disabled.
I have got my doubts after posting this above but still worth a try to see if it improves the sound interference caused by the Phantom.

I will be videoing again this coming week so i will have a go at changing the settings in the app to see if i can get rid of the high pitched noise, i will also take the P3P and see if that makes any differance in the noise.

2018-5-12
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Denmark

Drones Point of View - Paul Tomo Posted at 2018-5-12 23:38
I will be videoing again this coming week so i will have a go at changing the settings in the app to see if i can get rid of the high pitched noise, i will also take the P3P and see if that makes any differance in the noise.

I'll look forward to hear about your findings.
I am afraid that disabling the Ultrasonic sensors won't really help as i suggested, it seem that it will still be active even when it should be off.
2018-5-16
Use props
lvl.4

KedDK Posted at 2018-5-16 03:58
I'll look forward to hear about your findings.
I am afraid that disabling the Ultrasonic sensors won't really help as i suggested, it seem that it will still be active even when it should be off.

Your absolutely right KedDK thier was no differance in the sound at all. The wind direction made a slight difference but with how close the drone was the sound was still to loud.

I'm going down again this morning to look in the hives so I will take my video camera and try and video some activity in and around the hive.
2018-5-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules