land from a speedboat
2296 55 2018-5-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

I need to build myself a swift floating raft, to test some of these theories. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2018-5-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

We need to coax you out of your tortoise shell, more often.
Get your real thoughts on the subject presently at hand.

RedHotPoker
2018-5-13
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Labroides Posted at 2018-5-13 03:10
If you hand catch your Phantom, the motors will not stop unless you hold the Phantom steady with one hand on the landing gear and also hold the left stick down for three seconds to stop the motors.
If you can't hold it steady, it will take longer.
Practice in dry land before trying on the boat.

Just take note that movement of the boat as already pointed out will if significant enough negate the LEFT STICK down motor stop .......... that ONLY works when AC is completely still as in landed on solid ground or caught by hand on ground and no movement.

Its so obvious - why people ignore the fact ???

Problem is if the boat is moving sufficiently to negate the Left Stick Down ... then its difficult to catch AND perform CSC !! You need 3 hands.

Nigel
2018-5-14
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

solentlife Posted at 2018-5-14 12:06
Just take note that movement of the boat as already pointed out will if significant enough negate the LEFT STICK down motor stop .......... that ONLY works when AC is completely still as in landed on solid ground or caught by hand on ground and no movement.

Its so obvious - why people ignore the fact ???

I don't suppose that the fact that I speak from actual experience  rather than an over-active imagination counts at all.
2018-5-14
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Labroides Posted at 2018-5-14 14:34
I don't suppose that the fact that I speak from actual experience  rather than an over-active imagination counts at all.

I find that an incredible statement on your part - considering that a call for actual experience was made on first page and you never responded to it ... but now that I add the CSC if boat is moving significantly about - suddenly you claim this ! But a good play on words ... it does not actually say that YOU have proved Left Stick Down personally ... not does it go any way to disprove by YOUR action the claim that significant movement of boat will negate Left Stick Down.

Forgive me if I carry some doubt about your claim. Its too convenient and cleverly worded.

The question revolves around how the Phantom acts when Left Stick Down.

You can pull Left Stick Down all the way - but if the Phantom moves sufficiently during the 2 - 3 seconds it needs to record no movement - motors will NOT stop. Only with full CSC in that situation will motors stop.
If the boat is only moving slightly - then I can accept Left Stick Down. Such as on a river or sheltered area.
As an owner not only of two Phantoms and 4 boats from small 2 man dinghy up to seagoing motor sailer ............. I think I can safely make my point.

Nigel
2018-5-14
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

This could be tested easily enough.  Just hand catch a Phantom and do left stick down while walking.  See what happens.

Hand catch it and do left stick down while moving it up and down to mimic wave swells.  See what happens.   
2018-5-15
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

While I totally get the point many have made that landing on a heaving deck should not respond to a left-stick-down stop, it is highly likely the aircraft will respond when the landing surface reaches the peak or trough of the sinusoidal motion.  At those points, it is most stable for the longest duration during its undulations.   It doesn't need to maintain that position for the 3 seconds mentioned above, it reacts much faster than that.  The full 3 seconds is required for CSC in later versions of the firmware

At the apex of these waves, the ground is relatively stable to within a small margin. The barometric altitude reading is not likely to show a large difference between readings, suggesting to the internal controller that it has landed.  The shutdown procedure requires a full-stick deflection to engage.  In that position the aircraft is expecting it to be descending quickly at 3m/s.  The safety protocol will prevent a shutdown if there is not full-stick deflection, or if there is a large associated descent speed indicating it is still in flight.   However, once it is hand-caught, and the descent speed can be measured in merely a couple of inches or centimeters per second (while the stick is commanding maximum down speed), that small value could conceivably fall within the margin for error that is ignored in the landing routine.  It would then allow the motors to disarm and shut down.  While I haven't experienced this on a pitching water vessel, I have seen it work when an aircraft was stuck in the branches of a tree, heaving up and down in the wind.  The aircraft was able to be shut down with a left-stick-down command while it was not motionless, moving up and down only a few inches per second.
2018-5-15
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

solentlife Posted at 2018-5-14 22:42
I find that an incredible statement on your part - considering that a call for actual experience was made on first page and you never responded to it ... but now that I add the CSC if boat is moving significantly about - suddenly you claim this ! But a good play on words ... it does not actually say that YOU have proved Left Stick Down personally ... not does it go any way to disprove by YOUR action the claim that significant movement of boat will negate Left Stick Down.

Forgive me if I carry some doubt about your claim. Its too convenient and cleverly worded.

Sorry sport ... like I said, I do this whenever flying from boats.
I do this frequently.
When you hand catch you have to hold the Phantom stable for three seconds.
Sometimes that can be tricky, whether because of the wind or being on a boat but it's not impossible.
2018-5-15
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3462946 ft
  • >>>
Spain

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-5-13 11:43
We need to coax you out of your tortoise shell, more iften.
Get your real thoughts on the subject presently at hand.

do not forget to take your pills dro
2018-5-15
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Labroides Posted at 2018-5-15 01:11
Sorry sport ... like I said, I do this whenever flying from boats.
I do this frequently.

Now that's better .....

Your post now has better credence and I apologise for calling you out - but it had to be done for you to cough up the goods.

I'm glad that you recognise the movement factor at last .....

The problem may be that my use of boats is not only as today on near clam waters for flying - but I also sail on moderate to rough seas ... where the pitch and roll of my boat would be in metres not cm's ...

Nigel
2018-5-15
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

endotherm Posted at 2018-5-15 01:07
While I totally get the point many have made that landing on a heaving deck should not respond to a left-stick-down stop, it is highly likely the aircraft will respond when the landing surface reaches the peak or trough of the sinusoidal motion.  At those points, it is most stable for the longest duration during its undulations.   It doesn't need to maintain that position for the 3 seconds mentioned above, it reacts much faster than that.  The full 3 seconds is required for CSC in later versions of the firmware

At the apex of these waves, the ground is relatively stable to within a small margin. The barometric altitude reading is not likely to show a large difference between readings, suggesting to the internal controller that it has landed.  The shutdown procedure requires a full-stick deflection to engage.  In that position the aircraft is expecting it to be descending quickly at 3m/s.  The safety protocol will prevent a shutdown if there is not full-stick deflection, or if there is a large associated descent speed indicating it is still in flight.   However, once it is hand-caught, and the descent speed can be measured in merely a couple of inches or centimeters per second (while the stick is commanding maximum down speed), that small value could conceivably fall within the margin for error that is ignored in the landing routine.  It would then allow the motors to disarm and shut down.  While I haven't experienced this on a pitching water vessel, I have seen it work when an aircraft was stuck in the branches of a tree, heaving up and down in the wind.  The aircraft was able to be shut down with a left-stick-down command while it was not motionless, moving up and down only a few inches per second.

I can vouch for boats moving far more than just cms in pitch and roll .............. it can be metres at times ...

I do have to say - your sinusoidal claim is just plain not on mate ! Boats do not hold at any point in that swell or waves ... its only when surfing with significant waves / swell that they may do it.... when they hold for a second or so when pitched up or down at max.
As to the 3 secs - that is a fact and is not less.

I have had to revert to CSC to shut down when movement in tree has been such that Left Stick alone did not work.

Nigel
2018-5-15
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>

solentlife Posted at 2018-5-15 11:19
I can vouch for boats moving far more than just cms in pitch and roll .............. it can be metres at times ...

I do have to say - your sinusoidal claim is just plain not on mate ! Boats do not hold at any point in that swell or waves ... its only when surfing with significant waves / swell that they may do it.... when they hold for a second or so when pitched up or down at max.

I have looked at some videos on YT about handcatching on boats and they all managed to shut the drone down without CSC. I guess more intense movement would require it than what the videos show.
I can imagine that it helps to walk with the drone to the center of the boat if it is rocking too much.

Here is a video of a funny bloke. I think his true aim was showing the bud of his girlfriend ;-)

2018-5-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Nebuchadnezzar Posted at 2018-5-15 11:08
do not forget to take your pills dro
[view_image]

Ok thanks for the kind reminder. I took three, two for you. Hahaha

Little blue triangular shaped affairs... Huge grin

RedHotPoker
2018-5-15
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Eric13 Posted at 2018-5-15 12:01
I have looked at some videos on YT about handcatching on boats and they all managed to shut the drone down without CSC. I guess more intense movement would require it than what the videos show.
I can imagine that it helps to walk with the drone to the center of the boat if it is rocking too much.

Just to be clear ...

I do NOT say that Left Stick Down does not work ....

What I say and videos such as that illustrate it very well - including her 'bum' ...... is that near calm conditions are fine for it.

Obviously very few people are going to be flying their precious P3's in rough weather - so Left Stick Down is most likely to work in majority of occasions.
BUT there are locations / times when that boat is not going to be so steady ...

Imagine that girl is reaching out to catch the P3 ... stupid Jet Ski or another boat flashes past - creating serious wake and movement ....
Ever been subject to Cruise ships wake ?

Ever seen tide rips and overfalls as you enter a harbour ?
A Jet Ski .... in Solent while sailing my 4 ton Motor sailer .... my wife nearly went overboard because of a stupid Jet Ski creating a wake that threw that yacht about like a cork ...

My point is extreme is always around the corner waiting to bite .... and Mark was correct and did not need to be shot down.

Nigel
2018-5-15
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

solentlife Posted at 2018-5-15 11:19

I do have to say - your sinusoidal claim is just plain not on mate ! Boats do not hold at any point in that swell or waves ... its only when surfing with significant waves / swell that they may do it.... when they hold for a second or so when pitched up or down at max.

I'm not sure why you are always looking for a fight, especially when there isn't an issue.  You may want to read the carefully worded posts a little more closely.  Of course boats can move meters at a time in pitch and roll -- I never said otherwise -- similarly they might only move centimeters.  The overall point of my post was that the system can react to a left-stick-down as long as the movement isn't too severe.

With regard to the sinusoidal claim, if you examine it mathematically, I am referring to the period in the oscillation where the vertical movement in the Y direction is at a minimum (i.e. slowest) over time (X) which is the longest relatively stable period in the wave, before it repeats at the other side of the wave.

wave.png

I'm obviously talking about the period in the wave bounded by the red box.  Not the heaving pitch represented by the rapid rise and fall of the purple arrow (perhaps representing meters).  The small rise and fall represented by the small pink arrow representing perhaps centimeters.   A bit like a fighter jet landing on a heaving carrier will be more  successful at the flatter apex, rather than crashing into the deck  during a rapid rise/fall.    Once again, my post postulates that it may work in the relatively slower/stable period at the apex, but would not work elsewhere in the oscillation.

Whether or not there is sufficient time in this period for shutdown to engage whilst the vertical movement is slow was not really discussed, and isn't going to automatically apply in every situation.  I never made out that a boat had to hold perfectly still at any point.  Once again, the post is all about still responding to left-stick-down while there is some movement.  To dismiss this point as "plain not on" without comprehending the post is not particularly fair nor accurate.  You then go on to contradict yourself and concede that "...they may well do it when they hold for a second or so...".

You claim the requirement of 3 seconds is a fact and not less.  I have performed many tests on firm ground and timed them, to authoritatively respond to other posts on the subject.   It is not a set time.  It could be as short as about a second should the aircraft decide it has become sufficiently stable after descent.   Hence my statement "It doesn't need to maintain that position for the 3 seconds mentioned above, it reacts much faster than that" (referring to more stable environments).  Of course it may take longer, and require 3 seconds or more in turbulent environments.   I can't speak to every occurrence of conditions on a boat on every occasion.  I was only speaking about conditions where the peak and trough was calm enough to allow the aircraft to register movement slow enough that it would engage shutdown.

You then essentially confirmed trying the stuck-in-a-tree scenario, assuming it would work.  In your case the movement was obviously above the threshhold, requiring CSC.  I don't doubt that at all, and once again that was the purpose of my post.  That does not negate the point I was trying to make -- that left-stick-down would work in low movement situations.
2018-5-16
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

''endotherm'' ... What's with this 'looking for a fight' crap ?

My PoV is that many come here for info not knowing and new to the hobby. If the subjects were just posted on as some do with no expansion on conditions where they work or not ... then they could suffer consequences we would never wish on them. How many posts just make statements with nothing else ? Too many and leads to many questions coming up again and again ...

The subject of flight from boats is one that needs special care. Not only for take-off but specifically return and land out. For a post to just glibly claim that Left Stick Down is all you need (not your claim !) is in my mind in need of explanation of circumstances where this may not work. Mark made a short post that i considered fair and reasonable ... practice CSC - you may just need it when Left Stick Down fails !! Trouble is when that newbie finds out - its already a dire situation with a P3 on a pitching rolling boat ...

We have to remember that scenarios occur in all walks of life from idiots who overstep the mark ...

The Sinusoidal wave .... yeh well .... don't count on that when 4 meat cleaving props are coming in !!

I think some here have forgotten what is actually coming in to land ... 4 props that can kill or seriously maim and if I do it on a boat - I try to have a second person to catch while I have BOTH hands ready to CSC if needed. Before the event as well - I make sure other person is made well aware of what to do and what NOT TO DO ! In fact I tell them to dump it overboard if out of control in their hands ... $800 lost is better than a person maimed for life.
The 3 seconds ............ I usually say 2 - 3 seconds is the norm. To measure 1 second is very difficult for a domestic setup ............ I have owned labs for many years and know that timed measurement of a second or less requires electronic triggers. But anyway - again - newcomers need to know that 3 secs is needed to be sure. Imagine a catcher on a boat and they think that motors stop in UNDER 3 sec's ..... better they expect 3 secs and prepared for it.

I make no apology for wishing that people have FULL info on why / what / how .............. that is the point of forums. If people think that's me wanting a fight ? Then they are sadly grossly mistaken. I am always open for debate - but not for others smart stupid remarks trying to score points.

What is the Scouts Motto ?   

Be Prepared

So my view on boat use :

Try to have a reasonably stable and suitable boat - not a dinghy !! Preferably with a deck area that could be used if necessary

Try to have second person conduct hand launch / hand catch leaving you fully in control of model.

Educate catcher before flight fully about how the P3 acts and what happens when they catch at end.

Only if boat stationary (anchored) have RTH enabled - otherwise disable RTH

Learn how to use dynamic Home point location for P3 to update to your controllers location for flights so designed

Be sure you have a plan if it goes bad !

Nigel
2018-5-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules