Battery malfunction?
4173 12 2018-5-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_MZe0RJzRHSLQ
lvl.1
Flight distance : 406814 ft
Norway

I was charging my Spark batteries on the plate today and something weird happened.
When i removed the batteries after the charge was finished one of the batteries made a hissing sound, i thought it was gonna explode at first because of that hissing sound but nothing happened and there was no heat or bulging from the battery so i thought it was ok.

I flown today with all my batteries and i am charging them now. One of the batteries, presumably the one tht was making a hissing sound when i removed it from the charger earlier is making some weird sound when im charging it. Sounds like a tiny fan is spinning in the battery or it might sound like an electrical noise.

So far the battery is charging fine but i fear that something is not right with it. What shall i do with the battery? it is kinda new, only charget about 15-20 times.

2018-5-6
Use props
Aurelian (Spark)
First Officer
Flight distance : 903350 ft
  • >>>
Spain

When the battery is full, before removing the battery, you unplug the charger from the brick? If you notice something strange, I recommend you stop using it. Is much important the drone safety that the battery itself.
2018-5-6
Use props
djiuser_MZe0RJzRHSLQ
lvl.1
Norway

I did not see anything abnormal when i took the battery out of the charger hmm.
Is there any way to see if the battery is still ok? I tryed hovering indoor with the suspect battery but all cells seem to work normally.

Its just weird that the battery made that hissing sound first and later that noise when its charging
2018-5-6
Use props
Aurelian (Spark)
First Officer
Flight distance : 903350 ft
  • >>>
Spain

djiuser_MZe0RJzRHSLQ Posted at 2018-5-6 12:23
I did not see anything abnormal when i took the battery out of the charger hmm.
Is there any way to see if the battery is still ok? I tryed hovering indoor with the suspect battery but all cells seem to work normally.

I personally would not use it. I would not risk a drone falling from the sky.
2018-5-6
Use props
djiuser_MZe0RJzRHSLQ
lvl.1
Norway

Is there any support guys here that can confirm if this is a common problem with the dji spark batteries or should i go back to the store where i got it and get a refund or something?
2018-5-6
Use props
spookster
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419649 ft
Germany

can you record the sound, i don't hear any noise while charging my batteries so ... i'd assume something is wrong with your battery and start a support case.
if the store where you bought it swaps the battery that would be another route you could take.
2018-5-6
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

djiuser_MZe0RJzRHSLQ Posted at 2018-5-6 13:54
Is there any support guys here that can confirm if this is a common problem with the dji spark batteries or should i go back to the store where i got it and get a refund or something?

Was it recharged right after working hard on a flight?  A hot battery shouldn't be charged until it cools down.  Not totally sure with the Spark batteries, but the LiPo batteryt hissing is normally from the battery swelling from heat and off gassing.  Damaged enough that I would discharge it and throw it away.

Plenty of videos on youtube of a LiPo battery overheating from internal damage/shorts and burning up the model or scooter it is attached to.  Or burning down the house.  Catchy song, that.
2018-5-6
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

djiuser_MZe0RJzRHSLQ Posted at 2018-5-6 13:54

Please provide a screenshot of the aircraft battery and check the difference between the battery cell. If your battery is under warranty, please contact our support and start a case: http://www.dji.com/support
2018-5-7
Use props
djiuser_MZe0RJzRHSLQ
lvl.1
Norway

The batteries look all the same, no damage to them.
I returned it to the seller today. Elkjøp Norway and they will contact dji support about.
They said i would get an answer in a couple of days so im curious to see what they say.
2018-5-7
Use props
Jacari Alexander
New

My spark battery dose that to
2019-9-18
Use props
Codedog
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11877 ft

Best to be cautious, if you lost the spark somewhere that you could not recover it DJI will not take care of you.  This happened to me when my battery detached, DJI called me a liar since I could not find my spark and closed my case with no replacement.
2019-9-19
Use props
Abbe
lvl.1
Netherlands

I now have the same problem with one of my batteries, it make a kind of hissing sound when I try to charge it
2020-7-18
Use props
Abbe
lvl.1
Netherlands

Abbe Posted at 7-18 06:28
I now have the same problem with one of my batteries, it make a kind of hissing sound when I try to charge it

But I have a mavic mini
2020-7-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules