MP: Keep motors ON when upside down
1651 7 2018-5-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
eried
Second Officer
Flight distance : 661362 ft
Norway

I guess most of you know that if your Mavic gets into >90 degrees (via wind, etc) the engines will shut off: you can try it: remove the props, take off and turn it upside down to see what happens. However there is a parameter:
g_cfg_debug_motor_no_start_motor_check = 1

That parameter changes that unique behaviour. One guy with big balls did a video (check min 2:00):

I wont hack my Mavic with an older firmware but I am wondering: why is that parameter not enabled by default?
I mean, it seems that having that behaviour can recover the mavic after a crash or make it impossible to take down because big wind gusts?
2018-5-6
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

I have already added the sport+ mod, including faster go home speed, vert up speed and gps atti speed, those work great, will need to look at this has well. so far for those settings that I have changed flew out just over 5km 3 times and back no issues
2018-5-7
Use props
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Flight distance : 10326581 ft
Canada

No thank you! I would be just shaking, way too nervous for that.
2018-5-7
Use props
eried
Second Officer
Norway

Picanoc Jack Posted at 2018-5-7 08:47
No thank you! I would be just shaking, way too nervous for that.

I do not say we do what the guy in the video shows, but imagine a wind gust turns your mavic more than 90 degrees to one side, that will make it fall as a rock. Not with that setting enabled. The Mavic will fight and stabilize it again :O
2018-5-7
Use props
chiplifter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 745180 ft
Netherlands

It is absolutely amazing what the Mavic can do. But still I think it is totally crazy to do this. Any regulation must have been broken. What if the mavic did not restart over a crowded area.
Through these actions drone regulations will be stronger or it will become totally forbidden to fly a drone. Bad thing for us drone pilots.
Just my 2 cents.
2018-5-7
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

chiplifter Posted at 2018-5-7 09:25
It is absolutely amazing what the Mavic can do. But still I think it is totally crazy to do this. Any regulation must have been broken. What if the mavic did not restart over a crowded area.
Through these actions drone regulations will be stronger or it will become totally forbidden to fly a drone. Bad thing for us drone pilots.
Just my 2 cents.

I agree, I have shut my MP down by tilting it, it takes a lot of force to get it to shut down, it will fight to the death to remain level, can't see anytime when wind would flip the drone, yes it will pitch & roll to stay level and be carried far, far away riding the gust but something short of a microburst I think it will remain running. I have flown in a sustained 30 MPH wind at GL with gusts to 45 MPH just above tree line (wide open field just to test it's resistance), Yup it was a challenge and actually had to drop it below the tree line to get it home on one instance but the drone held it's Attitude firm. No need to be out hobby flying in those conditions anyway.
2018-5-7
Use props
eried
Second Officer
Norway

QuadKid Posted at 2018-5-7 09:41
I agree, I have shut my MP down by tilting it, it takes a lot of force to get it to shut down, it will fight to the death to remain level, can't see anytime when wind would flip the drone, yes it will pitch & roll to stay level and be carried far, far away riding the gust but something short of a microburst I think it will remain running. I have flown in a sustained 30 MPH wind at GL with gusts to 45 MPH just above tree line (wide open field just to test it's resistance), Yup it was a challenge and actually had to drop it below the tree line to get it home on one instance but the drone held it's Attitude firm. No need to be out hobby flying in those conditions anyway.

True, but what about Sport mode + wind gust? or a small tree branch?

I am trying to understand why it disables the engines
2018-5-7
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

It disables the motors because of preset parameters coded in the flight controller, Exponential parameters are increased in Sport mode giving the drone a greater degree of pitch and roll thus faster speed and agility, but still not enough to cause pitch and roll to exceed maximum limits. I use BetaFlight to tune these parameters on my race quads so I am speaking relative to them. DJI has there own proprietary software embedded in the drones flight controller. Hitting objects and/or tree branches would most likely exceed the limits of the FC therefore shutting down the motors.
2018-5-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules