Weak WiFi Password Prompt Everytime
8063 28 2018-5-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DrMagical
lvl.4
Flight distance : 959879 ft
United Kingdom

Sorry if dumb question but had the Spark a couple of weeks. I've set it up by Spark connected to RC, iPhone connected to RC in airplane mode with cable. Everything worked fine but last few days evertime I start the Go 4 App I get 'Your WiFi password is weak' pop-up box which I have to cancel before I can proceed. I've not changed the default password - is there any need other than getting rid of the pop-up which is sure annoying? Which password is it referring to (Spark or RC)? If I set a new password will I have to repair averything all over again?
2018-5-7
Use props
Aurelian (Spark)
Second Officer
Flight distance : 903350 ft
  • >>>
Spain

I’m in the same situation. I have looked in the app  settings but I have not found any option where I could change that password.
2018-5-7
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
United States

Afaik it is the 12341234 default password of the RC Wifi
Which is weak, isnt it?
You can change it in the app
Also the name of the Wifi
2018-5-7
Use props
heliman
lvl.4

Why wasn’t it mentioned in the release notes?
It’s impossible to gain trust to software that over and over is changed behind my back.

2018-5-7
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

heliman Posted at 2018-5-7 02:44
It’s impossible to gain trust to software that over and over is changed behind my back.

Thanks for your feedback. And we are sorry to make you feel in that way. Any other suggestions are welcomed.
2018-5-7
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
  • >>>
Thailand

heliman Posted at 2018-5-7 02:44

This is not a new function in the app

https://forum.dji.com/thread-107675-1-1.html
2018-5-7
Use props
heliman
lvl.4

I see. But the message popup still is.
Does it really know what a weak password is, or is it just barking because it’s the default password?
Can I savely use all possible utf-8 characters or what? Without locking myself out forever.
2018-5-7
Use props
Firehawk989
lvl.4
Flight distance : 198904 ft
Canada

I just changed mine to the password I use for my home WiFi. That way I will always remember it, and no more prompt!
2018-5-7
Use props
Firehawk989
lvl.4
Canada

Also it shows you the password in the app when you go into WiFi settings.
2018-5-7
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
  • >>>
Thailand

heliman Posted at 2018-5-7 05:49
I see. But the message popup still is.
Does it really know what a weak password is, or is it just barking because it’s the default password?
Can I savely use all possible utf-8 characters or what? Without locking myself out forever.

12341234 which is default on ALL Spark RC's and everyone is knowing it, that is a weak one
Probably 12345678 wouldn't be a weak on. For the app, I mean!
And Yes, the Message popup is new.
I havent even seen it, b/c I changed my RCs SSID's and passwords in August and in September, during the setup of the birds
2018-5-8
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-5-7 02:59
Thanks for your feedback. And we are sorry to make you feel in that way. Any other suggestions are welcomed.

Hi Electra!
Would you still look into this?  The OP asks, "which WiFi" is the message referring to. Some have deduced it's the Spark RC, but it doesn't make sense to require something "stronger."  Seems like an unnecessary confuser :-)
2018-5-8
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
  • >>>
Thailand

WebParrot Posted at 2018-5-8 04:38
Hi Electra!
Would you still look into this?  The OP asks, "which WiFi" is the message referring to. Some have deduced it's the Spark RC, but it doesn't make sense to require something "stronger."  Seems like an unnecessary confuser :-)

Kind off it does, I think.

It is a precaution, usually "we" change always the very well known default passwords of wifis to our personal choice , don't we?

For me it is a habbit, first thing to do: change wifi/hotspot SSID and Passwords
SSI so that not everyone around sees it is this or this device
And the password so that I can remember a safe one nicely.
2018-5-8
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

S-e-ven Posted at 2018-5-8 04:53
Kind off it does, I think.

It is a precaution, usually "we" change always the very well known default passwords of wifis to our personal choice , don't we?

Yeh, I guess, well maybe.  ;-)

My answer was rooted in another thought... I've never figured out why there's a need for a Password for the RC.  While I "do" understand that someone could ' hack ' your controls, it seems so unlikely that I never took the need for a password seriously!  I don't remember needing one for my MavicPro, or two other non-DJI aircraft I fly, same for my Helicopter.

Anyhow, that's the basic of my reply/thought.  Now it seems like an annoyance for a 'feature" that I personally don't use.  Sorry for the long winded reply :-)
2018-5-8
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
  • >>>
Thailand

WebParrot Posted at 2018-5-8 04:59
Yeh, I guess, well maybe.  ;-)

My answer was rooted in another thought... I've never figured out why there's a need for a Password for the RC.  While I "do" understand that someone could ' hack ' your controls, it seems so unlikely that I never took the need for a password seriously!  I don't remember needing one for my MavicPro, or two other non-DJI aircraft I fly, same for my Helicopter.

Maybe the "change password" is a reaction on chrashing apps?
I have not checked that, since I fly with cable, but during the time you restart the app, is your phone still wifi connected?
Or could the nice guy 2 m away take over the wifi before you know it?
;-)

Edit: Also they selling drones in the US. We have all heard about the justice system there, if someone claims damages
2018-5-8
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

S-e-ven Posted at 2018-5-8 05:07
Maybe the "change password" is a reaction on chrashing apps?
I have not checked that, since I fly with cable, but during the time you restart the app, is your phone still wifi connected?
Or could the nice guy 2 m away take over the wifi before you know it?

Sure, that's possible (ref: a reaction to crashing apps).  I don't have a thorough enough understanding to guess, though.  

I just looked at my Mavic Pro and didn't find any RC password requirement.  I'd guess if it was a concern for the Spark, the same would be for the MavicPro.   

I'm 'listening' to see what others might speculate ( Unless Electra can help ! )
2018-5-8
Use props
Firehawk989
lvl.4
Canada

It's definitely changing the password for the RC. The Spark's WiFi is not shown when the RC is connected.
2018-5-8
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
  • >>>
Thailand

Firehawk989 Posted at 2018-5-8 08:31
It's definitely changing the password for the RC. The Spark's WiFi is not shown when the RC is connected.

And not in use as long the Spark is paired to a RC, anyway
2018-5-8
Use props
djiuser_RojfSW97etD9
lvl.4
Flight distance : 24259 ft
Australia

S-e-ven Posted at 2018-5-7 03:40
This is not a new function in the app

https://forum.dji.com/thread-107675-1-1.html

If you read the thread, it is a only request for the function.  I believe it is new in 4.2.14.
2018-5-12
Use props
Just another drone guy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 875499 ft
Canada

im pretty sure you can change the passwords because on my previous drone the phantom3 s, i was able to change the password. also have you tried finding anything on youtube
2018-5-12
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_RojfSW97etD9 Posted at 2018-5-12 20:39
If you read the thread, it is a only request for the function.  I believe it is new in 4.2.14.

To be able to change the password is not a new function.
That the app tells you to do so however is new, but is that a function?
2018-5-12
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Just another drone guy Posted at 2018-5-12 21:20
im pretty sure you can change the passwords because on my previous drone the phantom3 s, i was able to change the password. also have you tried finding anything on youtube

I do not disagree with you, you can for sure change the Sparks RC Password.
I did that some time ago, last year.
But the P3 and the "since P4" are not using the same app. Right?
2018-5-12
Use props
djiuser_RojfSW97etD9
lvl.4
Flight distance : 24259 ft
Australia

S-e-ven Posted at 2018-5-12 22:22
To be able to change the password is not a new function.
That the app tells you to do so however is new, but is that a function?

I agree. However the Prompt to change WiFi Password is new - the subject of this thread. That is the new *function* of DJI Do 4 4.2.14 - the prompt to change.  The ability to change the password is a *feature* - the option to change.  There is a difference between function & feature.

2018-5-12
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
  • >>>
Thailand

djiuser_RojfSW97etD9 Posted at 2018-5-12 22:49
I agree. However the Prompt to change WiFi Password is new - the subject of this thread. That is the new *function* of DJI Do 4 4.2.14 - the prompt to change.  The ability to change the password is a *feature* - the option to change.  There is a difference between function & feature.

Not wanna be a nitpicker, but:

I see the change of a password (and of the wifi SSID) as the function, and the message to do so, for safety reasons, as a feature!
Afaik a function is doing something, a features is, perhaps, part of a/the function (here: message, to use/point to the function ;-)

Anyway, my answer was to helimans question :

"Why wasn’t it mentioned in the release notes?"

[ https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 878&fromuid=1051173 ]

Which I understood was about the function, how to change the Password/SSID in the latest DJI Go4
And even not knowing if it was in the release notes last summer, this DON'T needed to be in this release notes.
This function is a old one, already available for quiet some time.
And I really didn't see a reason to mention a feature in the release notes, which is just a hint to a older function

2018-5-13
Use props
Just another drone guy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 875499 ft
Canada

S-e-ven Posted at 2018-5-12 22:26
I do not disagree with you, you can for sure change the Sparks RC Password.
I did that some time ago, last year.
But the P3 and the "since P4" are not using the same app. Right?

ya the p3s is, unfortunately, using a different app, but seeing as I can change the password on one of dji's older models I would assume that you would be able to change passwords for their newer models
2018-5-13
Use props
nikhlesh
New

India

i think you can change wifi password
2018-6-7
Use props
nikhlesh
New

India

I think you can change wifi password. maybe someone has tried to hack your wifi password by pldt home DSL wifi hacker
2018-6-7
Use props
GymNoor
New
Turkey

Hello Dear
Every time I try to change the password I got this message
Your password is invalid
The password I choose
Capital letter .. small letters + Some sign + numbers  and more than 8
but always the same
2018-6-29
Use props
Carlos Read
New
Dominican Republic

I have changed the WiFi password, and everytime I change the battery of my Spark, I get the same message.  Again and again it keeps "forgetting"the new password i introduce.  I guess it doesn't affect anything, but it is certainly bothersome.  I hope DJI fixes this in a new firmware update.
2018-10-5
Use props
H. Arif - 6IX
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430364 ft
Canada

I get it too, I don't know it just can't be turned off because nobody really knows the drone even uses wifi. So the message just become annoying.
2018-10-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules