Gimble moving erratically side to side
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Oldav8tor
lvl.2
United States

I have a Phantom 4 Advanced (Factory Refurbished) that I took delivery of the last week of April, flying it for the first time on April 30th.  I've put maybe 2.5 hours on it with a bunch of landings (for practice.) No crashes - No hard landings. I manually set it down on a plywood landing pad.  It has been working great up to now.

Recently I've had a problem with the camera gimble jerking from side to side - usually just a little but sometimes quite violently.  The pitch control works normally but even in a hover, the camera won't hold still. The DJI GO4 display alternates between Gimble "Normal" and "Overload."

I've tried calibrating the gimble a few times and each time it reports that calibration was successful.  During calibration the gimble just sits there, no movement....is that normal?

Like I said, I've been flying it for only a week... DJI GO4 says the firmware is up to date, which it should be since I only just got it.  

Is there something else I can do or is it time to submit a repair request?

2018-5-7
Use props
djiuser_iGJqCoTNTQSa
lvl.4
United States

I'd exchange it for a new one. Sounds like there is an issue with your yaw motor
2018-5-7
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Sorry about the issue. Please try to connect DJI Assistant 2 to refresh the firmware to see whether the issue remains. If no luck, please kindly start a case and send the unit in for diagnosis: https://www.dji.com/support
2018-5-7
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Oldav8tor,

When your P4A arrived and you set it up for flying, did you remove all the packing and cellophane coverings?  Look it over again in real good detail and see if you can find something that might be out of place or put there to hold something in place.  The gimbal "Normal" and "Overload" messages indicate this sort of issue.  Has something gotten wedged in somewhere when it was put away?

The fact that it just sits there during a gimbal calibration also indicates something is stuck in somewhere.  When the P4A starts up does the gimbal's motors put the camera through a full range of all the motions?  Also look to see if the ribbons and cables are firmly in place, but this is usually a problem with the P3 series with the gimbal platform.  Worth a look anyway though.  Otherwise after that is done and nothing seems to be unusual, try Susan's suggestion, it really can make a difference.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-5-7
Use props
Oldav8tor
lvl.2
United States

Susan - I attempted to refresh the firmware three times - each time getting the message "Update Failed. " I should point out that Assistant 2 indicated the P4A had the latest firmware installed. I downloaded Assistant 2 (Mac Version) less than a week ago so I assume it is the latest version. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong but there isn't much documentation with the APP.

Cetacean - Aloha - I checked again and all cellophane stickers had been removed, as had the foam support.  My problems started a couple of days ago... I was hovering at 100 feet trying to take a photo of the neighbors house when I got a "high wind velocity" warning and the camera started it's wiggling routine.  Thing is, the wind was about 6 mph at the surface and the tree tops showed very little movement.  I flew it back to where I was sitting and the camera calmed down --- at least until the next time I tried to fly it. Now I get alternating "normal" and "gimble motor overload" messages. Attempts to calibrate the gimble did nothing to help. When I power it up, the gimble pitches thru it's whole range but that is all. Yaw is where the problem is.  If I had crashed or landed hard I could understand, but I didn't. I land on a plywood pad to reduce the chance of the props kicking something up that might damage the drone. I hope this isn't a sign of more troubles to come.

Update:  I opened a case and am shipping it in.....oh well.  Hopefully it won't take all summer.
2018-5-8
Use props
Oldav8tor
lvl.2
United States

Update:  Sent it to DJI in CA about a week ago.  Today I got notice that it had arrived and a diagnosis of the problem.  Parts to be replaced:  Roll motor / pitch-axis motor / Yaw-axis Motor V2 - DJI is covering it under warranty otherwise it would have cost me $166.  Hopefully I'll get it back before the end of May.  At this point I am satisfied with the way DJI has handled my issue.  I only wish I knew why the motors failed.  It was a refurbished unit but I can't say for sure that had anything to do with it. My opinion of the quality of DJI products will be determined by what happens when I get the drone back.  Things just shouldn't fail without a reason......
2018-5-17
Use props
Scott28
lvl.1
South Africa

that's a problem with your yaw motor or your gimbal ribbon cable
2018-12-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules