Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic air problems after update .0400
6566 38 2018-5-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gzwtf
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3773 ft
Poland

Hello !

I have strange problem with my mavic air.
On 06.05.2018 I have a flight where after about 25 meters I've lost all controls. I made 2 flights in the same area day earlier and all was fine.
After flying 25m my bird stops and do not respond for any stick movement. It's starts RTH and fortunetly i hand catched it before it land in high grass (that could damage props or engienes). I performed 180 degree flip and motors shut down - drone was safe. I shut it down and turn on again and the next fligth (in the same area) was OK.
Here is video on Youtube from this flight:

You can see that at 15 second video freeze for a while (that is very strange !).
This was the first time my drone did something like that. Day earlier I was flying above the water with starting from a moving boat, if such situation happened then, I could lose my bird
2 days earlier I've updated sucessfuly firmware to .0400 version.

After update I've also found that my mavic rarely turn yaw about 45 deegre. It happens sometimes once per flight but not always. If You want, I can upload logs and video from that situation too.

Please kindly chech this case. Here are logs from this day of flying
Waiting for Your respond

2018-5-8
Use props
DJIFlo2
lvl.3
Flight distance : 208140 ft
United States

I have exactly the same problem. Strangely DJI moved my post to the service section:

https://forum.dji.com/thread-147265-1-1.html?mobile=2
2018-5-8
Use props
TroutboyNZ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1726486 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Have you calibrated your compass and IMU? Did you take off from the concrete in the video?
2018-5-8
Use props
gzwtf
lvl.2

TroutboyNZ Posted at 2018-5-8 14:18
Have you calibrated your compass and IMU? Did you take off from the concrete in the video?

I'm always calibrating compass when the warning appears. But never was calibrating IMU - never even saw warning about that.

Take off was performed as far as I remember from tire path on the dirt road.
2018-5-8
Use props
GDL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Singapore

Is the RC still connected when MA not respond to control and start RTH?
2018-5-8
Use props
gzwtf
lvl.2

Red light on transmitter and zero control over my drone
2018-5-9
Use props
Bill B
lvl.4
Flight distance : 319245 ft
United States

It is not the update, it is probably the cable. If you are using the flat USB or Fire cable that came with the air, it is the culprit. These cables are junk. Please use the usb cable or fire cable that came with your phone. Hook it up to the bottom USB port on the mavic Air controller. Your problem will likely go away. Worked for me and never got the "red" light on the controller since.
One other thing, be sure the antenna "feet" are down on the front legs.
2018-5-9
Use props
Optimus Prime-Mavic Air
lvl.4
Flight distance : 568704 ft
Vietnam

Try to use assistant app on pc, reset factory and refresh firmware for both rc and quad. Do it with all batteries you have, calibrate all things (IMU, vision, gimbal, compass and rc..) then try again. Good luck.
2018-5-9
Use props
gzwtf
lvl.2
Poland

Bill B Posted at 2018-5-9 01:13
It is not the update, it is probably the cable. If you are using the flat USB or Fire cable that came with the air, it is the culprit. These cables are junk. Please use the usb cable or fire cable that came with your phone. Hook it up to the bottom USB port on the mavic Air controller. Your problem will likely go away. Worked for me and never got the "red" light on the controller since.
One other thing, be sure the antenna "feet" are down on the front legs.

My phone is not so new so usb socket is little lose, I have cable that always works 100% solid with my phone so I'll try. I'm wondering one thing. If my phone accidentally disconnected, can it be reason to disconnect with my MA ? As I remember one time in the past my phone freeze and restart and I still have green light and can control with RC my quad (just without phone live video stream). Antenna was down for sure, I'always check it (preflight check are my routine before every flight - I'm also flying with RC planes from like 18 years)
2018-5-9
Use props
gzwtf
lvl.2
Poland

Optimus Prime-Mavic Air Posted at 2018-5-9 01:28
Try to use assistant app on pc, reset factory and refresh firmware for both rc and quad. Do it with all batteries you have, calibrate all things (IMU, vision, gimbal, compass and rc..) then try again. Good luck.

I'll try it for sure ! And make some tests in the safe area soon.

Are I'm able in any way to check logs from DJI Assistant 2 ? Maybe there is something that will prove 100% my mistery ? I was trying on-line DJI support but they don't have tools to check logs. They said that repair service have such tools. Since my Mavic AIR is OK do not feel that this is necessary. Maybe Admin's of this forum could help me investigate this logs ?   
2018-5-9
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi, I'm sorry to hear about the issue that you have experienced. Please try the procedure as the floor 7# & 8# mentioned, if there is any further issue, please feel free to let us know, we'll here for help. Thanks!
2018-5-9
Use props
Bill B
lvl.4
Flight distance : 319245 ft
United States

When mine would disconnect because of the loose USB connection, it would not reconnect to the quad until it did it's RTH and I powered everything down and restarted. I discovered it when I was showing my son what was going on. my son wiggled the usb connection at the base of the phone and it would lose connection again. I threw out the crap flat cables (all 3 of them) that DJI sent with the controller and switched to my cable that came with my samsung s5 and hooked it through the bottom of the controller and all the problems went away. Never had a disconnect since.
2018-5-9
Use props
gzwtf
lvl.2
Poland

DJI Diana Posted at 2018-5-9 02:05
Hi, I'm sorry to hear about the issue that you have experienced. Please try the procedure as the floor 7# & 8# mentioned, if there is any further issue, please feel free to let us know, we'll here for help. Thanks!

Thanks for all suggestions ! For sure I'll try them.
@DJI Diana is there any way to check my flight logs ? They are in the first post.
2018-5-9
Use props
gzwtf
lvl.2
Poland

And I'm also wondering, did anyone experienced such video freeze (it's video from SD card from drone) like me ? Video is in the first post ant it freezes for a while at 0:15.
2018-5-9
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

gzwtf Posted at 2018-5-9 02:14
Thanks for all suggestions ! For sure I'll try them.
@DJI Diana is there any way to check my flight logs ? They are in the first post.

Hi, your flight log has been forwarded to our engineers, they will check it for you. If there is an update, I will let you know at the first time. Appreciate your patience!
2018-5-9
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

gzwtf Posted at 2018-5-9 02:24
And I'm also wondering, did anyone experienced such video freeze (it's video from SD card from drone) like me ? Video is in the first post ant it freezes for a while at 0:15.

Regarding the video freeze issue, could you please check all the original videos from the SD card? Does it happen often or only this one? Thanks!
2018-5-9
Use props
gzwtf
lvl.2

@DJI Diana

Thank You very much for your effort ! All other videos are ok. Should I also upload logs and video for the second problem - turning yaw itself a few degrees? Or do DJI engeeners needs any further information? Additional logs from phone or anything that could help ?
2018-5-9
Use props
sstimeare
lvl.2
Flight distance : 41437 ft
United States

Here's what i did to fix mine.

After redoing the Visual Calibration through DJI assistant and doing a remote sticks calibration, along with uninstalling and reinstalling GO4, the problem seems to have been resolved.  I don't know if it was a combonation of all of these, or if it was just one of them that fixed it.  But, Air now hovers in place and doesn't shift.  Fly's straight and doesn't seem to rotate on its own anymore.  Flew in various flight modes as well as Sport, all seemed to work fine.  I'm also not getting tons of compass calibration alerts anymore.  Very weird...

Hope that helps anyone with similar issue.
2018-5-9
Use props
BigRoyBoy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 106414 ft
Australia

No problem with upgrade.
2018-5-9
Use props
fans2257bf31
New

Hong Kong

please link the aircraft to DJI assistant 2 and extract the system log for  further analysis,thanks.
2018-5-9
Use props
gzwtf
lvl.2
Poland

fans2257bf31 Posted at 2018-5-9 22:19
please link the aircraft to DJI assistant 2 and extract the system log for  further analysis,thanks.

FC logs are in the first post. I'll put system logs after job.
2018-5-9
Use props
gzwtf
lvl.2
Poland

fans2257bf31 Posted at 2018-5-9 22:19

I've exported logs from everything I could:

Please find it at the link below:
LOGS
2018-5-10
Use props
SBasso
lvl.3

Malta

I´m facing something similar.
After the update, I realized that the drone does not hoovers as steady as it was before.

Two different things happened ever since:
1) Drifted in a pretty flyable condition (right direction)
2) i was increasing the altitude and out of nowhere, the drone turned right itself.

Two different days...
Two different flights...

I did the IMU calibration, as I never done it.
Sadly, the weather got bad, cannot try it.

Quite upset, as it was everything perfect before the update!
Any suggestion?

Thanks a lot

2018-5-10
Use props
gzwtf
lvl.2
Poland

Hi SBasso !

Here I have also video from this second issue, please look at 0:24:

its look exactly like your second point !

And here are logs from this flight
2018-5-10
Use props
Air 1660
lvl.2

Updated mine last week and had two excellent flights no problem. Today I went to fly on my lunch hour and the iPad screen was freezing and cutting in and out, I also noticed my iPad got extremely hot. I landed the air as fast as I could. I have know idea what caused this to happen, also the drone flew ok but seemed sluggish.
2018-5-10
Use props
yakulttai
lvl.4
Flight distance : 55925 ft
Taiwan

My MA will also freeze video
2018-5-10
Use props
gzwtf
lvl.2
Poland

@DJI Diana: Any update with analysing my logs ?
2018-5-14
Use props
Optimus Prime-Mavic Air
lvl.4
Flight distance : 568704 ft
Vietnam

@gzwtf: firmware 0400 may be a faulty version. As i refresh rc and MA using assistant, recalibrate everything but drone drifted itself, lagging video transmission and easy to lost connection plus blurry images my drone had. So frustrated.
2018-5-14
Use props
TZero
lvl.4
Flight distance : 547618 ft
Brazil

Optimus Prime-Mavic Air Posted at 2018-5-14 03:22
@gzwtf: firmware 0400 may be a faulty version. As i refresh rc and MA using assistant, recalibrate everything but drone drifted itself, lagging video transmission and easy to lost connection plus blurry images my drone had. So frustrated.

Same problem !

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=147692&page=1#pid1349673

2018-5-14
Use props
Elysian
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hi guys!
I heard a lot of complaints regarding the latest firmware update. I contacted DJI customer service and they told me they are aware of the issue and try to solve it as soon as possible ( doesn't sound promising!) Also, they told me that not all of the Mavic Air drones behave unusual after this update, but they are not able to tell me which batch or serial number is involved !

My drone is brand new and the only test i did, was just indoor, after this... " amazing" firmware update! I couldn't find time and a proper place in London to carry on more extensive tests.

In my indoor tests, I flied around 40 min, recording, moving up and down and rotating ( yaw). I moved also the gimbal up and down, while yaw. I didn't notice any obvious issue !

I get a feeling of a slight drifting while hoovering ( maybe few centimeters), maybe a slight rotation ( few degrees in horizontal plane) - but I assumed it is " normal" as it was in a small environment ( a room) close to large objects ( which could reflect the air back to the propellers) and create incremental moves. Plus...it is a drone, not a poster to stay still !

I don't have a reference point to compare how my Mavic Air is behaving after the latest firmware update, comparing with how should behave.
Can anyone help with some information regarding " the ideal " behavior of Mavic Air, the one described by many to be present before this " infamous update" ?
This micro-movements while hovering it is the only thing I noticed, but I can't compare with how it's supposed to be, and as I said, I didn't make any extensive test yet. Are they normal ?
Thank you for your time and your help!
2018-5-15
Use props
gzwtf
lvl.2
Poland

Micro movements are 100% OK especially indoors, check 0:24 from movie from post #24 above - you can see there rapid yaw movement about 45 degree.
To be sure try to fly it outdoors in some safe area.
2018-5-15
Use props
Elysian
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Thank you for your feedback !

I try to identify "possible key problems " after last firmware update - and test the Mavic Air  specifically looking for this - if manifesting !

Basically, if I will identify any problem/issues,  I can still bring my drone back to the shop, get refund ( it is possible from where I purchase it) -  then ordering a new one for the next day.
After that, with the new drone - avoiding the " update part" until DJI will find a solution!
I need to decide today or tomorrow ( keep it updated - or change it with a new one ) - so that's why I need to do all of the specific tests NOW -
I will be grateful if  anyone of you can suggest which tests I can try !
2018-5-15
Use props
AndryAir
New
Flight distance : 224580 ft
Russia

Have same problem with 45degree turn. After update to 0.4 i am taking off and its randomly turns to 20-45degree
2018-5-15
Use props
gzwtf
lvl.2
Poland

Elysian Posted at 2018-5-15 10:29
Thank you for your feedback !

I try to identify "possible key problems " after last firmware update - and test the Mavic Air  specifically looking for this - if manifesting !

My drone mostly do that just after start while hovering or when going up. This two tests come to my mind first.
2018-5-15
Use props
Ellinor William
lvl.2

India

Same problem!!! :O
Damn I feel so lucky at least I recovered my recordings using Stellar. And yet I'm still stuck on conversation with DJI
2018-5-23
Use props
DJIFlo2
lvl.3
Flight distance : 208140 ft
Switzerland

Update: DJI send me a new drone. So definitely something not right with latest firmware.
2018-5-28
Use props
gzwtf
lvl.2
Poland

After refreshing FW via DJI Assistant 2, reinstallation app on the phone, and calibrtation of everything (gimbal, IMU, compass, sticks, visual sensors) all went back to normal, made about 4 flights without any problem.
2018-5-28
Use props
GLJones
lvl.2
Flight distance : 41381 ft
United States

You mentioned flying from a boat and an issue like this can result in a lost drone.  When flying from a non-stationary point, especially a boat, change the lost connection setting to Hover instead of RTH.  This way, you have time to try and get under the drone before it auto-lands.  Hopefully, you can reestablish connection before it lands,
2018-5-28
Use props
fans0e319554
lvl.1
Flight distance : 969314 ft
Lebanon

DJI Diana Posted at 2018-5-9 02:05

Hello, my Mavic did the same thing. Worse, the moment it decided to fly on the camera went dark too. So I could not even see where it was going. The stick did not respond in any way. Luckily it landed back whee i started. Luckily too it was no mans land or else someone could have stole my bird. I have over 50 hours and 250 flights. I’m experienced. The question is in such event where it is definitely an update fault, who is responsible and who will replace my bird? Me? I dont think it would be right. Thanks for your response
2019-5-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules