Use props
Hugh Jaynus
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1204754 ft
United States

CheckYourSix Posted at 2018-6-25 06:07
To me the 3 most important things when it comes to buying a drone are:

1) The App

I agree with everything you said and your points are valid. DJI fan boys will disagree with you but they can't offer any valid argument against any of your points. All it takes is one interaction with DJI customer service to make you run away screaming....
2018-6-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Hugh Jaynus Posted at 2018-6-28 11:24
I agree with everything you said and your points are valid. DJI fan boys will disagree with you but they can't offer any valid argument against any of your points. All it takes is one interaction with DJI customer service to make you run away screaming....

Yes the App, considering Autel have sent out their drones with app still in beta, it’s not a very good start. And also telling customers that tilted horizon would be sorted in a later firmware, we remember xstar when they told all that they would be implementing bigger cameras , it never happened, so I hope they get their app sorted and remember it only works on 5 devices, and lets hope the tilted horizon gets sorted.
2018-6-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

CheckYourSix Posted at 2018-6-25 06:07
To me the 3 most important things when it comes to buying a drone are:

1) The App

App still in beta drones already sent out
Tilted horizon will be fixed in a future FW
Flight time same as Mavic Pro Platinum
Mavic Pro is cheaper than Evo
Customer service, many bought xstar thinking because Autel promised bigger add on cameras, never happened.
There is a thread running here at the moment about geo fencing 98% are happy to have it incorporated on their drone, and it is soon to be made compulsory in Europe and I expect the same will happen in US , this is why Autel have it ready to go when needed .

2018-6-28
Use props
TexasAerials
Second Officer
Flight distance : 566952 ft
United States

remember when GoPro came out with the Karma?  everyone thought it was the coolest thing ever, then like a week later, the Mavic Pro came out and basically wiped the floor with it.  

It is not looking great for the Evo so far - no iOS app, rolling out with issues expected to be fixed in a firmware update from a company with a reputation for taking forever with firmware updates.  But i wish them the best.  the best thing for the consumer drone market would be a spec race and/or price war.  not good for the companies, but DJI needs a plucky underdog nipping at their heels to keep them motivated.  
2018-6-28
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

EVO = worst launch ever.  

To not have an IOS app is just bush league terribad.
2018-6-28
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

Oracle Miata Posted at 2018-6-28 14:15
EVO = worst launch ever.  

To not have an IOS app is just bush league terribad.

Yeah at this point I would much rather have the Anafi than the evo.  
2018-6-28
Use props
Folkestone
First Officer
Flight distance : 843199 ft
United Kingdom

I didn’t even know it had been released.

Did they rush it out before July 18th to get some sales in case DJI released something next level?
2018-6-28
Use props
Hugh Jaynus
Second Officer

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-6-28 12:51
Yes the App, considering Autel have sent out their drones with app still in beta, it’s not a very good start. And also telling customers that tilted horizon would be sorted in a later firmware, we remember xstar when they told all that they would be implementing bigger cameras , it never happened, so I hope they get their app sorted and remember it only works on 5 devices, and lets hope the tilted horizon gets sorted.

They discontinued the xstar and thus it's modular camera due to DJI suing them. Now Autel has a pending suit against DJI for infringing on their quick-release propeller patent. It's all fun and games.

I'd venture to say their beta app still works better than DJI's fully released GO app which doesn't have good ratings and crashes too frequently, even on DJI's own custom built OS on CrystalSky.

Their app is stuck in Apple's limbo-land waiting for them to approve it which you have to wonder if they are dragging their feet since they have a relationship with it's competitor, DJI.

EVO rivals P4P camera at a much cheaper price, and YouTube tests are showing it reach 4 mile range, so its certainly a contender.
2018-6-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Hugh Jaynus Posted at 2018-6-28 14:40
They discontinued the xstar and thus it's modular camera due to DJI suing them. Now Autel has a pending suit against DJI for infringing on their quick-release propeller patent. It's all fun and games.

I'd venture to say their beta app still works better than DJI's fully released GO app which doesn't have good ratings and crashes too frequently, even on DJI's own custom built OS on CrystalSky.

Then you know nothing about P4Pro, sending your camera drone with the most awful tilted horizon and telling customers that it will be sorted in future firmware is nothing short of shocking sending out when still in beta mode is shocking, if you honestly think that Autel are not aware of apples policies on apps you are being a little delusional. And the fact that the app will have few users and is only compatible with 5 devices , well so much for having a 3 inch screen how many are going to have to fork out for a new device, to be able to see what’s going on , I think if you put your iPhone in portrait mode tilted horizon doesn’t look so bad.
Service will be better simply because very few customers it wont be global and dji are about to blast it out of the water.
Autel had two years to make a great drone and what they have come up with is not very good.

2018-6-28
Use props
Hugh Jaynus
Second Officer

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-6-28 14:53
Then you know nothing about P4Pro, sending your camera drone with the most awful tilted horizon and telling customers that it will be sorted in future firmware is nothing short of shocking sending out when still in beta mode is shocking, if you honestly think that Autel are not aware of apples policies on apps you are being a little delusional. And the fact that the app will have few users and is only compatible with 5 devices , well so much for having a 3 inch screen how many are going to have to fork out for a new device, to be able to see what’s going on , I think if you put your iPhone in portrait mode tilted horizon doesn’t look so bad.
Service will be better simply because very few customers it wont be global and dji are about to blast it out of the water.
Autel had two years to make a great drone and what they have come up with is not very good.

I own a P4A, same camera as the P4P in case you are not aware.

C'mon Hallmark, you know DJI is well known for tilted horizon problems so it's silly to blast the EVO for that very thing as it's being released. They will tweak things along the way just as DJI has and all other drone manufacturers do. And I'd say it's pretty early for you to say it's "not very good" especially not having owned one to make that assessment.
2018-6-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Hugh Jaynus Posted at 2018-6-28 18:32
I own a P4A, same camera as the P4P in case you are not aware.

C'mon Hallmark, you know DJI is well known for tilted horizon problems so it's silly to blast the EVO for that very thing as it's being released. They will tweak things along the way just as DJI has and all other drone manufacturers do. And I'd say it's pretty early for you to say it's "not very good" especially not having owned one to make that assessment.

I actually do wish them well and your correct , there were and still are issues with Mavic and P4 with tilted horizon, I don’t have any with P4Pro , and MavAir is about as straight as anyone could expect, so I suppose I expected Evo to have come up with similar hardware to combat this, but it doesn’t look like it.

This is almost like supporting football and we all get involved supporting our team, but it should be done in a sporting fashion, we had very little before now to compare with dji drones, so yeah completion will and should be good, but like in football or most sports I don’t mind if dji drones finish second last as long as Autel is last. Lol ;+).........
2018-6-29
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain

nice one! thanks for sharing
2018-6-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules