Auto/Custom Channel Mode in iOS w/o Region change possible?
4642 16 2018-5-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
geohei
lvl.3
Flight distance : 663061 ft

Hi.

I'm in the EU and use iOS as interface.
My Channel Mode is locked to "Auto".
"Custom" is greyed out and no way to enable it using "DJI GO 4" App.

I read about this. Suggestions to change the Region to "United States" worked, but I don't want to do that since it changes a lot on my iPad I don't want to have changed.

Is there any other possibilty to enable "Custom" Channel Mode (while keeping my Region)?

Thanks,

2018-5-9
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

Could it be that 5.8GHz is not allowed in Luxembourg?
I have seen similar post from users in Russia and other countries where the users is near the Russian borders.
2018-5-9
Use props
geohei
lvl.3

It‘s not about that 5.8 GHz doesn‘t work or isn‘t allowed, it‘s that "Auto" in permanently enabled and can‘t be changed to "Custom".
2018-5-9
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Denmark

Is this something that you used to be able to do? If so then the question is do you know if a update of GO4 or the RC caused the change?
Are you able to change from 2.4 to 5.8GHz but not select the channel or can't you change anything at all?

Hopefully some other IOS users can deliver some golden answers...
2018-5-9
Use props
geohei
lvl.3

I did not fiddle around with the frequency change feature a lot since I had the drone, but I believe (not sure ?!) that it worked in older iOS "DJI GO 4" versions. Interruptions were never an issue since I used the drone outdoor and short range only. Tests in WiFi polluted environments forced me to dig a bit deeper into this since I got connection losses.

I can change between 2.4 and 5.8 GHz, yes, but Custom remains greyed out in both cases.

I did not see any official DJI explanations/publications either regarding when and where "Custom" is supposed to be working.
2018-5-9
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Denmark

As you are able to switch between 2.4 and 5.8 it is not that kind of issue i first suspected, actually strange that you then can not enter the custom settings.
I would from here think it is the GO4 App that is strange and if possible try a previous version to see if it works there. Other suggestions is try to have a factory reset/FW reflash initiated on the RC or if possible try with a Android device, i believe the setting is saved on the RC so it should be keept even when connecting the iOS device back afterwards.

If nothing seem to work and no other bid in with a solution, PM one of the Admins with a link to this thread to have their attention.
2018-5-10
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

geohei Posted at 2018-5-9 06:38
I did not fiddle around with the frequency change feature a lot since I had the drone, but I believe (not sure ?!) that it worked in older iOS "DJI GO 4" versions. Interruptions were never an issue since I used the drone outdoor and short range only. Tests in WiFi polluted environments forced me to dig a bit deeper into this since I got connection losses.

I can change between 2.4 and 5.8 GHz, yes, but Custom remains greyed out in both cases.

Please tell me the country you fly your drone. Can you provide a screenshot of the image transmission?
2018-5-13
Use props
geohei
lvl.3

KedDK Posted at 2018-5-10 02:22
As you are able to switch between 2.4 and 5.8 it is not htat kind of issue i first suspected, actually strange that you then can not enter the custom settings.
I would from here think it is the GO4 App that is strange and if possible try a previous version to see if it works there. Other suggestions is try to have a factory reset/FW reflash initiated on the RC or if possible try with a Android device, i believe the setting is saved on the RC so it should be keept even when connecting the iOS device back afterwards.

1. I tried the DJI GO 4 (4.2.20) now on iPad and iPhone (both iOS 11.4). No joy. Custom not selectable
2. How can I install a previous version of DJI GO 4? Is that possible with iOS?
3. I did the RC reset. Didn't help either.

Yes, the setting is indeed saved inside the RC.

I'll try the Android connection if nothing else helps.

BTW ... can you confirm that the RC reset is:
a. RC on.
b. Press C1, C2 and Video Recording Button simulatiously.
c. Wait until Power LED goes blue flashing (long beep, 3 quick short beeps, then continues long short beeps).
d. RC off, then on again.
Is that correct?
Also ... the drone /RC pairing survived the reset. Is this the way it should be?

2018-6-8
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Denmark

geohei Posted at 2018-6-8 09:32
1. I tried the DJI GO 4 (4.2.20) now on iPad and iPhone (both iOS 11.4). No joy.
2. How can I install a previous version of DJI GO 4? Is that possible with iOS?

Sorry i know about nothing about iOS beside it is running on apples
I think you can if you have had an older version before, something about iTunes but if it is so and how ... pass
2018-6-8
Use props
geohei
lvl.3

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-5-13 19:40
Please tell me the country you fly your drone. Can you provide a screenshot of the image transmission?

I fly in Luxembourg.
2018-6-8
Use props
geohei
lvl.3

Ok ... is there anybody out there having the same issues?
(No Custom channel selectable in 2.4 and 5.8 modes)
2018-6-16
Use props
Jeff Millard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 503635 ft
  • >>>

I linked the other controller and tried my iPad. It’s working fine for me. Ver. 4.2.21 iOS 11.4 (New Jersey, USA)

2018-6-16
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Can I ask why you want to change to custom mode?
2018-6-16
Use props
geohei
lvl.3

Geebax Posted at 2018-6-16 15:51
Can I ask why you want to change to custom mode?

I would like to test different channels than the ones automatically selected by the controller (or is it the drone which decides?). Basically, it's also about simply understanding why "Custom" is not selectable (background knowledge).

Besides this ... I travel through Europe and Asia. I never had anything else than "Auto" in the last couple of months. All with latest software/firmware all over the place. Also the environment (WiFi pollution) doesn't seem to matter. Also outdoor far away from any WiFi, "Custom" remains grey.

Can anybody, located in Central Europe, confirm that she/he also has "Custom" disabled?

Latest iOS App version installed : 4.3.1

2018-9-11
Use props
geohei
lvl.3

I believe I found it.

I need to change in iOS the region.
General > Language & Region > Region > United States

Any ideas why this is like that?
Is there a list which countries allow "Custom" and which don't?

I don't want to change my iOS region all the time if I would like to change the channel.
Changing iOS region brings along many more (undesired) changes.
2018-9-11
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

geohei Posted at 2018-9-11 21:50
I believe I found it.

I need to change in iOS the region.

Selecting a particular channel will not solve anything for you. The custom setting allows the RC unit and aircraft to change channels if there is too much interference on the selected channel. When you switch to custom and chooses a channel, youy defeat this important and valuable function.
2018-9-11
Use props
geohei
lvl.3

Geebax Posted at 2018-9-11 22:51
Selecting a particular channel will not solve anything for you. The custom setting allows the RC unit and aircraft to change channels if there is too much interference on the selected channel. When you switch to custom and chooses a channel, youy defeat this important and valuable function.

Technically speaking ... correct! Nevertheless I'd like to understand why DJI GO 4 App decides, based on my region, to disable "Custom". Every cheap router allows manually channel selection. Local regulations don't require this App behaviour.

Besides this ... using DJI GO 4 App on Android doesn't produce this restriction!

2018-9-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules