1711 11 2018-5-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bob Brown
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

Firstly: Mavic Pro.. great little bird. Could not be happier with the drone and it's performance. Love it! Thank You DJI and Jesus for this awesome drone!

Problem:
During flight of heavy scenery the displayed video on my iPad Mini 2 is choppy and broken a bit; recorded video is smooth.

What I have done:
I have applied performance tweaks to the ipad and turned things off; the video caching option in DJI Go 4 = off. I have also tested with an iPad Air (6th Gen) and get the same results. I have found that the greater the detail in the landscape the more choppy the HD video feed is. The HD and RC signals are full during the time and the drone is only 500-1000m away at most. I have refreshed the AC/RC software and also reinstalled DJI Go 4 a few times... also tried a new iPad Air device w/fresh install.

Thinking:
isolated the issue to the rendering/processing on the drone or a lag in HD signal from the drone to the RC. Is it likely that the Mavic Pro Camera/Rendering back to the iPad is under heavy load on the drone itself... as when the scenery is just a brown field it runs smooth... as soon as I hit neighborhood houses and detailed terrain it starts to lag and chop skip derp. 1-3 second pauses and then it skips to current runs smooth for a few seconds and then chippity chop again. At this time when temps are high (80-90's) outside I will also get the Mobile Device CPU is overlaoded message in the app.

Anyone else with a Mavic Pro get this also? Is this the norm? Is this the DJI Go 4 app latest version(s) having issues?

2018-5-9
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Bob, please try to change an environment for further check. Since your drone hit the house before, I would recommend you try to flash the firmware of your drone. If the problem remains, please send it back for further check: http://www.dji.com/support Thanks for your support.
2018-5-13
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-5-13 19:27
Bob, please try to change an environment for further check. Since your drone hit the house before, I would recommend you try to flash the firmware of your drone. If the problem remains, please send it back for further check: http://www.dji.com/support Thanks for your support.

Elektra,

Sorry, must be a misunderstanding. I have never crashed or hit anything with my drone. It's been flawless mainly. Hit my house? Not sure where you go that from? I am also not sure why I would send it back to DJI? This is more likely an issue with the DJI GO 4 App and the way it handles the HD transmission signal than a defect or damage.

On the flip side / after doing some testing...
The solution is to lower the Image transmission setting from Normal to Smooth; that seems to have made it much better flying over detailed terrain, however the trade off is not being able to record videos in 4k / 2.7K. So not really a solution.

This is more of a design/engineering problem than it is a defect. Please take note and I thank you for your response. (this seems to be a tough question)
2018-5-14
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Bob Brown Posted at 2018-5-14 02:42
Elektra,

Sorry, must be a misunderstanding. I have never crashed or hit anything with my drone. It's been flawless mainly. Hit my house? Not sure where you go that from? I am also not sure why I would send it back to DJI? This is more likely an issue with the DJI GO 4 App and the way it handles the HD transmission signal than a defect or damage.

Bob, sorry for the misunderstanding. Please choose a proper option for your mavic when it comes to different devices and different environment. If the signal of channel is not good enough, you can choose "Smooth" to improve the performance. And when you fly your Mavic with IPad mini 2, I would recommend you fly in "Smooth" mode, too.
2018-5-16
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-5-16 03:08
Bob, sorry for the misunderstanding. Please choose a proper option for your mavic when it comes to different devices and different environment. If the signal of channel is not good enough, you can choose "Smooth" to improve the performance. And when you fly your Mavic with IPad mini 2, I would recommend you fly in "Smooth" mode, too.

I did mention that it was a Mavic Pro... not a Spark. Also as stated before...  the HD Transmission Signal setting also affects the recorded video; so not really a great solution. Perhaps the Mavic Pro II will improve on this.

Thanks for trying!

Side Note:
I also found that everytime I restart the DJI Go 4 app the Transmission Signal setting goes from smooth back to normal... it does not stay as assigned. (not a saved setting)
2018-5-16
Use props
Nathan FW
lvl.1
United States

Should probably just return.  I just bought one myself;  The video is horrible right out of the box.  I have plenty of experience with the Phantom 4 and this has been frustrating dealing with the forum.  And let's be honest, no one wants to deal with DJI's Award winning support.  They have great products, this just isn't one of them.  
2018-5-16
Use props
Nathan FW
lvl.1
United States

The horrible video is from the Mavic Pro Platinum
2018-5-16
Use props
AlansDronePics
First Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

Nathan FW Posted at 2018-5-16 05:41
Should probably just return.  I just bought one myself;  The video is horrible right out of the box.  I have plenty of experience with the Phantom 4 and this has been frustrating dealing with the forum.  And let's be honest, no one wants to deal with DJI's Award winning support.  They have great products, this just isn't one of them.

I had a troubling issue with auto setting not coping with light changes. DJI provided an answer to my email within an hour. I followed the lengthy procedure, necessary to eliminate all possibilities and everything was fine.
Perhaps the forum is best suited to different issues and direct communication with the manufacturer is best.
DJI have never failed me on the few occasions I needed in depth help.
2018-5-16
Use props
Nathan FW
lvl.1
United States

I was told by the service line that there is no solution.  If all firmware is updated, then I should return or exchange.  This is what I am doing.  You are very lucky, in the past the customer service has been absolutely horrible.  At least they now have outsourced a customer service group to handle incoming calls instead of email only.  WHY THE HECK WOULD ANY COMPANY CONSISTENTLY DELIVER A PRODUCT THAT NEEDS SO MANY IN DEPTH TWEAKS RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX???
2018-5-16
Use props
Drone34
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84091 ft
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-5-16 03:08

DJI Elektra:  Just wanted to follow-up on your comment about using the smooth mode when flying with the iPad Mini 2.  Could you explain further.  Is it a processing capacity issue for the iPad mini 2?
2018-8-31
Use props
Jason WAI
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3136201 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

I do not have such video displayed problem. The displayed video is smooth. Mine is Mavic Pro Platinum with iPad Pro .
2018-8-31
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I upgraded to a iPad Mini 4 and turned off the video cache now. I have an Android tablet for backup. The iPad mini 2 went to my wife as it just doesn't seem to have enough power to run the DJI GO app anymore. On hot days I leave the iPad out of the case to reduce heat and "mobile cpu utilization". (idevices will clock down the cpu when they get hot; android is a bit better but will just shut down instead in most cases.)
2018-9-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules