Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic pro flight distance experiences
4089 58 2018-5-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

Picanoc Jack Posted at 2018-5-10 08:36
Best of luck to you David on that one,  105 degrees!  how do you survive that? Anything past 75 I stay inside a cool place, like most of us canucks are not use to extreme heat.  stay cool David!

Thanks Jack, usually I stay indoors with bottle water always in hand when going out. Believe me it's not that bad, in July we have 115 degrees and it's at least 100 degrees 24 hours each day and that can last days, weeks, or even months...
2018-5-10
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
  • >>>

Picanoc Jack Posted at 2018-5-10 08:37
Great!  I am very curious about this drone,  how do you like it so far?

I like Mr. Tello - he's a good, rugged, stable flying little quadcopter that hovers exactly in place (as long as there's enough ambient light around).
2018-5-10
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
  • >>>

Picanoc Jack Posted at 2018-5-10 08:39
then in that case I will bring them around for when I get to NS

They can be a good inexpensive accessory that may increase your range.
2018-5-10
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10318117 ft
Canada

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-5-10 08:54
Thanks Jack, usually I stay indoors with bottle water always in hand when going out. Believe me it's not that bad, in July we have 115 degrees and it's at least 100 degrees 24 hours each day and that can last days, weeks, or even months...

Oh my! You must miss the NY climate
2018-5-10
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
  • >>>

Picanoc Jack Posted at 2018-5-10 08:42
oh I forgot something, when it gets to 105 you won't fly, is that because it's too hard on the drone? the other question was about the obstacle warning, the other correction centre D warning?

Yes, I don't have confidence putting a quad up in the sky when it's this hot and the Sun is too strong. When it's too hot I fly my Tiny Whoops and Mr. Tello indoors, I don't like keeping the drones inactive for too long a time, though. So I'll usually charge up the batteries and power on the drone indoors for a few minutes, maybe recording using the camera around my house so the drones keep their regular schedule.

I'll probably fly the Mavic Pro and Spark this weekend when temperatures are expected to fall below 90 degrees. I find flying early morning, or even right before Sun goes down in some cases here to be the best times, but usually dawn here is the quietest part of the day outdoors.
2018-5-10
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
  • >>>

Picanoc Jack Posted at 2018-5-10 08:59
Oh my! You must miss the NY climate

I grew up and lived most of my life in New York so definitely miss weather of the Northeast. Usually by October the weather here in Arizona starts to cool down, and I was able to get a lot of flying in this Winter - hence my flight distance stats. Taking a little break this Summer will give everybody a chance to catch up :-)
2018-5-10
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Second Officer
Canada

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-5-10 09:05
Yes, I don't have confidence putting a quad up in the sky when it's this hot and the Sun is too strong. When it's too hot I fly my Tiny Whoops and Mr. Tello indoors, I don't like keeping the drones inactive for too long a time, though. So I'll usually charge up the batteries and power on the drone indoors for a few minutes, maybe recording using the camera around my house so the drones keep their regular schedule.

I'll probably fly the Mavic Pro and Spark this weekend when temperatures are expected to fall below 90 degrees. I find flying early morning, or even right before Sun goes down in some cases here to be the best times, but usually dawn here is the quietest part of the day outdoors.

not today because here it was 60 degrees but yesterday morning had to scrape the windshield of the car, weekend was suppose to be 48 but that changed to 59degrees, there are still bits of snow here and there in the bush, but the worst is yet to come in the very near future,  Black Flies the ones that take a chunk out of you when they bite.
2018-5-10
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Second Officer
Canada

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-5-10 09:12
I grew up and lived most of my life in New York so definitely miss weather of the Northeast. Usually by October the weather here in Arizona starts to cool down, and I was able to get a lot of flying in this Winter - hence my flight distance stats. Taking a little break this Summer will give everybody a chance to catch up :-)

it will take forever to catch up with you David
2018-5-10
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
  • >>>

Picanoc Jack Posted at 2018-5-10 09:20
not today because here it was 60 degrees but yesterday morning had to scrape the windshield of the car, weekend was suppose to be 48 but that changed to 59degrees, there are still bits of snow here and there in the bush, but the worst is yet to come in the very near future,  Black Flies the ones that take a chunk out of you when they bite.

Ouch, those buggers sound like problems - hate to be around that. At least the Mavic Pro can handle some of them (when its propellers go up).
2018-5-10
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
  • >>>

Picanoc Jack Posted at 2018-5-10 09:22
it will take forever to catch up with you David

You'd be surprised how much the Mavic Pro can gain up on everyone, most of my distance was flown using my DJI Spark.
2018-5-10
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-5-10 09:12

I know exactly what you are going through I grew up in AZ then was so relieved when moving to Colorado.  Now however in Nevada so get a bit hot here in the summer
2018-5-10
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
  • >>>

SparksBird Posted at 2018-5-10 10:51
I know exactly what you are going through I grew up in AZ then was so relieved when moving to Colorado.  Now however in Nevada so get a bit hot here in the summer

Thanks - do you fly your Mavic Pro in hot weather and do you find it is not too much of a factor?
2018-5-10
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-5-10 11:05
Thanks - do you fly your Mavic Pro in hot weather and do you find it is not too much of a factor?

I have not had my MP long enough test in hot weather tbh.  It is just now starting to warm up.  Have only had for about 3 months now.  Just now starting to get in the 80's so will see how it fairs in the warmer weather.
2018-5-10
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Second Officer
Canada

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-5-10 09:50
Ouch, those buggers sound like problems - hate to be around that. At least the Mavic Pro can handle some of them (when its propellers go up).

When they get so bad I don't think that I will be flying
2018-5-10
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
  • >>>

SparksBird Posted at 2018-5-10 11:55
I have not had my MP long enough test in hot weather tbh.  It is just now starting to warm up.  Have only had for about 3 months now.  Just now starting to get in the 80's so will see how it fairs in the warmer weather.

Same here, I'm just reluctant to expose it higher than DJI advises, which is 100 degrees and I don't think that counts the added Sun rays of the blistering southwest?
2018-5-10
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
  • >>>

Picanoc Jack Posted at 2018-5-10 12:56
When they get so bad I don't think that I will be flying

It takes the enjoyment out of flying. To me, I think the whole purpose of droning is to take advantage of the outdoors in nice weather. Other than needing a shot in particular inclement weather, it defeats the purpose of putting up a quad in the air if all that time you're too bothered by the poor weather. Besides, you really need to be comfortable and have your best attention when flying, not allowing so can put others at risk.
2018-5-10
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Second Officer
Canada

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-5-10 16:41
It takes the enjoyment out of flying. To me, I think the whole purpose of droning is to take advantage of the outdoors in nice weather. Other than needing a shot in particular inclement weather, it defeats the purpose of putting up a quad in the air if all that time you're too bothered by the poor weather. Besides, you really need to be comfortable and have your best attention when flying, not allowing so can put others at risk.

I am in full agreement with you David, I really miss flying though,  a day without flying for me is rare,  the winds around here and the rain has been here now for the last 2 days so I was not flying,  well maybe tomorrow will bring me luck.  Take care David.
2018-5-10
Use props
MFPullen
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6257444 ft
  • >>>
United States

What was the location/terrain?
2018-5-12
Use props
Jbbruce
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1263196 ft

MFPullen Posted at 2018-5-12 09:30
What was the location/terrain?

Location was shawano wisconsin.  I was kinda on top of a hill.  I flew to the west .  the ground in this area is fairly level .  my line of site from where im standing is pretty good.  Im flying away from town so interface is minimal.  Its a pretty good location in my opinion
2018-5-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules