Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Spark and Autopilot App - doesn't fly
2126 19 2018-5-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Antpal
lvl.2
Flight distance : 51575 ft

Hi all!
First drone, first post

I picked up a spark yesterday, updated firmware etc, and everything works as it should with the dji go app.
However, i decided to spend the extra money on the Autopilot app, as i want to mainly do zipline type recordings.

The app simply doesn't work. And, as a newbie, im positive im doing something wrong!

I can set up waypoint flights, zipline flights etc etc, but when it comes to engaging the mission, i have the countdown and then nothing. On the screen at the bottom (iphone x), it shows idle. The app is connected, as i have the live video feed, just nothing happens. (as a side note, i have no manual flight controls on the screen in autopilot)

Has anyone encountered something similar? I've searched and searched, but only seem to find success stories :/

Many thanks in advance,
Ant

2018-5-10
Use props
S.J
lvl.4
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Kuwait

Autopilot is still in its early stages of development. Continue using DJI GO4 app until such notice about Autopilot.
2018-5-10
Use props
Antpal
lvl.2

Thanks for the reply. There's a bunch of stuff on YouTube using the spark, and autopilot says it's supported so what can be the issue with mine??
2018-5-10
Use props
Sparky_17
lvl.4
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

I'm waiting to be accepted for their beta program.  Sorry I can't help you at this time.
2018-5-10
Use props
Antpal
lvl.2
Germany

No worries.
Maybe someone else knows what tiny thing I've forgotten ☺️
I'll definitely contact hangar support - they say the spark is compatible - pay your 32€ then nothing works. No go.
2018-5-10
Use props
Outlier22
lvl.3
Flight distance : 328474 ft
United States

Damn, I didn't know about this app.  I'm going to do some research on this.  ...sorry I can't help you though.
2018-5-10
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

I would not recommend you use the third party app to fly your app. Please use DJI GO 4 instead for your drone's safety. Thanks for your support.
2018-5-10
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't have any experience with that particular app.  One of the members of this forum (Adriano Araujo) recently posted a great video of using waypoints with the AutoPilot app.  You may try reaching out to him to see if he has any tips.

Here is the link to his thread I referred to:
https://forum.dji.com/thread-147321-1-2.html
2018-5-10
Use props
Joller79 DK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 26447 ft
Denmark

Dji go 4 had issues with iphone x.   Perhaps autopilot does too?? If you have possibility, try with an older ios device.   Just sign in your acount on app store, and you wont pay for it again..
2018-5-10
Use props
Greg Glasson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 284843 ft
Australia

I'm using beta of Autopilot with Spark, have tried all of the flight modes with no issues. I use both an iphone 8 plus and an ipad air 2, with up to date firmware and dji go4 software. I have some of my videos posted herehttps://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4QQGmKmBOlcDSdfo8Px5kA?view_as=subscriber[/url]
Make sure you are not using OTG as Autopilot definitely doesn't like it. Make sure you are not in sports mode or this will disengage Autopilot. Open the flight dashboard, wait until you have at least 11 satellites and start your mission. Feel free to PM me if you want any further advice. Also read and post to the Autopilot forum, there is a thread there for Spark users. Autopilot opens up many more opportunities than DJI Go4, so I recommend you persist with it.
2018-5-10
Use props
Antpal
lvl.2
Netherlands

Greg Glasson Posted at 2018-5-10 23:20
I'm using beta of Autopilot with Spark, have tried all of the flight modes with no issues. I use both an iphone 8 plus and an ipad air 2, with up to date firmware and dji go4 software. I have some of my videos posted here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4QQGmKmBOlcDSdfo8Px5kA?view_as=subscriber[/url]
Make sure you are not using OTG as Autopilot definitely doesn't like it. Make sure you are not in sports mode or this will disengage Autopilot. Open the flight dashboard, wait until you have at least 11 satellites and start your mission. Feel free to PM me if you want any further advice. Also read and post to the Autopilot forum, there is a thread there for Spark users. Autopilot opens up many more opportunities than DJI Go4, so I recommend you persist with it.

Hi Greg,
Thanks for the reply!

I'm not using the separate controller, so that's OTG cable and sports mode gone from the equation.
Strangely, i have satellite fix issues in the GO app too. I'll check that out.
Are there any particular settings in Autopilot that i'm missing???

The Autopilot forum only really seems to have success stories too - so im fairly sure im making some noob idiot mistake.

cheers,
Ant
2018-5-10
Use props
Greg Glasson
lvl.4
Australia

Antpal Posted at 2018-5-10 23:29
Hi Greg,
Thanks for the reply!

So you're not using a remote? I think you should really get one. The thing is, that it doesn't matter whether you are using Autopilot or DJI Go 4, the remote is your failsafe. If the drone starts doing anything unusual or you need to take manual control, you change to sports mode and use the remote controls in Autopilot. In DJI Go you have the RTH button on the remote. All of my flights have been using a remote so I can't really advise how to use a smartphone or tablet only... apart from suggesting to make sure all other apps are closed, your ram has been cleared on your device prior to each flight. See if black box mode works first, before starting to begin using autonomous modes.
2018-5-11
Use props
S.J
lvl.4
Japan

Antpal Posted at 2018-5-10 06:50
No worries.
Maybe someone else knows what tiny thing I've forgotten ☺️
I'll definitely contact hangar support - they say the spark is compatible - pay your 32€ then nothing works. No go.

Take care while using Autopilot with SPARK. Fly aways  are possible . This app is used for Phantom 4 and above drone specs.
2018-5-11
Use props
S.J
lvl.4
Japan

Greg Glasson Posted at 2018-5-10 23:20
I'm using beta of Autopilot with Spark, have tried all of the flight modes with no issues. I use both an iphone 8 plus and an ipad air 2, with up to date firmware and dji go4 software. I have some of my videos posted here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4QQGmKmBOlcDSdfo8Px5kA?view_as=subscriber[/url]

what is the fun if you cannot use SPORTS mode in AUTOPILOT App.
2018-5-11
Use props
Antpal
lvl.2
Netherlands

Greg Glasson Posted at 2018-5-11 00:19
So you're not using a remote? I think you should really get one. The thing is, that it doesn't matter whether you are using Autopilot or DJI Go 4, the remote is your failsafe. If the drone starts doing anything unusual or you need to take manual control, you change to sports mode and use the remote controls in Autopilot. In DJI Go you have the RTH button on the remote. All of my flights have been using a remote so I can't really advise how to use a smartphone or tablet only... apart from suggesting to make sure all other apps are closed, your ram has been cleared on your device prior to each flight. See if black box mode works first, before starting to begin using autonomous modes.

Hi Greg,

I can't use any functions within Autopilot. I also have the feeling that if the GO app is still open, that i can't connect to the spark when AP is open.

I can connect to it though. As i mentioned, i can see the video feed, engage my mission, but then i only have 'idle'
2018-5-11
Use props
Antpal
lvl.2
Netherlands

S.J Posted at 2018-5-11 00:46
Take care while using Autopilot with SPARK. Fly aways  are possible . This app is used for Phantom 4 and above drone specs.

The developer says it's compatible with the spark, and there seems to be enough people using it. Weird.
I will try again using it with the GO app running in the background.
2018-5-11
Use props
AlvaroX
lvl.2
Flight distance : 155548 ft
United States

Joller79 DK Posted at 2018-5-10 22:27
Dji go 4 had issues with iphone x.   Perhaps autopilot does too?? If you have possibility, try with an older ios device.   Just sign in your acount on app store, and you wont pay for it again..

really what issues? i have an iphone x and the dji  works fine
2018-5-11
Use props
Antpal
lvl.2
Germany

Big news - splashed out on the controller - the main reason being i don't get much in the way of range with the iPhone x wifi.
Autopilot works a dream!!! Zip line, waypoint, everything basically.
I just need to work out how to get the thing to fly back on its own in autopilot after completing a mission. Hitting the sport button is a big help.   

Thanks for all the replies!
2018-5-12
Use props
Greg Glasson
lvl.4
Australia

Antpal Posted at 2018-5-12 01:42
Big news - splashed out on the controller - the main reason being i don't get much in the way of range with the iPhone x wifi.
Autopilot works a dream!!! Zip line, waypoint, everything basically.
I just need to work out how to get the thing to fly back on its own in autopilot after completing a mission. Hitting the sport button is a big help.   

Go to the Mission Completion option in Waypoints. You have the choice for the drone to hover, Return to home or auto-land.
2018-5-12
Use props
Antpal
lvl.2

Cool. Thank you ☺️
2018-5-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules