Yes I would like this feature!
2018-9-2
Use props
Schmooit
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1336581 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just a heads up the latest .500 firmware update released 30/09/18 still  does not have this feature in it!
2018-9-30
Use props
Albert Lam
lvl.1
Flight distance : 7001 ft
Hong Kong

Yes!   It's a very important feature, which I've been using a lot on my Spark.   Now, just upgraded to Mavic Air, and am so surprised that this important feature was not there in a more advanced drone as Mavic Air.

And agreed with some other fellow drone users that this shall also be considered related to a safety feature, since switching quickly down to view whether the drone is above any crowd of people is important to make sure we always fly with caution and to reduce drone incident that may affect other people as much as possible.

While it is a quite disappoint to see this related thread / discussion since early 2018, when Mavic Air was launched, and it has been 8 months, but still no action taken by DJI to listen to their real users.

Looking forward to DJI response to our voice please.

2018-10-6
Use props
Schmooit
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Albert Lam Posted at 2018-10-6 19:52
Yes!   It's a very important feature, which I've been using a lot on my Spark.   Now, just upgraded to Mavic Air, and am so surprised that this important feature was not there in a more advanced drone as Mavic Air.

And agreed with some other fellow drone users that this shall also be considered related to a safety feature, since switching quickly down to view whether the drone is above any crowd of people is important to make sure we always fly with caution and to reduce drone incident that may affect other people as much as possible.

Unfortunately this always falls on deaf ears! The admins here might say they pass on to the engineers (I dont doubt they do) the engineers just ignore it as either they forget, cant be bothered or who ever decides what they work on for patches and firmware either forgets, cant be bothered or doesnt know what they are doing! We are not asking for a massive function list just a simple function that is on all the other drones  and its not a pro feature! Its almost like they are deliberately going out of their way not to include this feature! A simple patch firmware upgrade .505 say could add the feature in we would all update and then all future updates would already include it, we would all be happy and anyone who is not bothered by it doesnt have to use it in the same way I dont want to use the playback feature on the program button as it would be stupid to use this while in flight!  So I dont use it

I've almost knocked the wall down I've been beating with my head! It would just be a courtesy to loyal uses to at least acknowledge that they can add this in and will in a future update, however I suspect that all the SF engineers will be working on the next big release so it will be forgotten about again.

If they are working on the next Phantom 5 pro or something just remember guys the Phantom is not a Pro drone either as its advertised in your consumer section so make sure you remove this camera down feature from that to ensure consistency! (and yes I'm being facetious!)
2018-10-7
Use props
Surface2Air
Second Officer
Flight distance : 167441 ft
Canada

Yes please add this function - unfortunate omission, should be there.
2018-10-7
Use props
Obtuso
lvl.3
Flight distance : 770046 ft
  • >>>
Spain

It seems all the develop is focused on new Mavic 2 Pro. I think DJI just forgot us... I will not forget this when buying a new drone.
2018-10-8
Use props
ygor
lvl.4
Flight distance : 719245 ft
Brazil

+1 for this feature. Hey DJI Susan, are you there?
2018-10-8
Use props
QuadFunAus
lvl.4
Flight distance : 38835 ft
Australia

Yes, please add this function DJI
2018-10-8
Use props
Obtuso
lvl.3
Flight distance : 770046 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Does anybody know if this feature is available for Mavic Air in Litchi?
2018-10-9
Use props
Schmooit
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Obtuso Posted at 2018-10-9 07:34
Does anybody know if this feature is available for Mavic Air in Litchi?

Wouldn't have thought so as the function would need to be available in the firmware but i might be wrong!
2018-10-10
Use props
Schmooit
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

@DJI could we get an update on this please? Surely it cant be too hard all the other models have it except the tello! So whats stopping you making us happy?
2018-11-4
Use props
Her-man2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 151191 ft
Netherlands

YES I want this feature!
2018-11-4
Use props
gpomykala
New
Poland

Upvote for me on center / down under same button just as it was in every DJI drone since. I expected same RC/app experience on MA as on P3 and MP
2018-12-19
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

yes, a option to point camera down instantly i miss this feature of my ex-mavic pro plus i want i want the feature to toggle turning off charging for the RC universally..  as well as compass issue being tidied up and also a digital zoom function with a slider on screen...  be an awesome update!
2018-12-19
Use props
BKahuna
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7425909 ft
United States

Obtuso Posted at 9-2 12:30
Culd you please describe how you do it? I’ve tried with my Mavic Air and can’t find the way. Thanks

I didn't make the original post but unless I'm not understanding something, it's fairly easy to emulate this function on an MA.

You just tilt the gimbal all the way down.  There are two ways to do this - either use the little jog wheel in front of your left hand on the remote or tap and hold your finger on the screen so get gimbal control and then slowly slide your finger down the screen.  You'll see the gimbal  angle change on the right side of the screen.

Admittedly, it's not as easy and hitting a custom button but I've used it many times when landing to ensure I have a clear path.
2018-12-19
Use props
Schmooit
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

BKahuna Posted at 12-19 08:41
I didn't make the original post but unless I'm not understanding something, it's fairly easy to emulate this function on an MA.

You just tilt the gimbal all the way down.  There are two ways to do this - either use the little jog wheel in front of your left hand on the remote or tap and hold your finger on the screen so get gimbal control and then slowly slide your finger down the screen.  You'll see the gimbal  angle change on the right side of the screen.

Hi chap yes that is possible but is very very very slow, the Phantom, spark, and all other mavics have had this feature as an option on the custom buttons, once you have used it you will find it very handy.

Either during a video or whilst landing for safety purposes too, the ability to quickly flip the camera down to check what's beneath you and then flip it back up is a must, using the scroll down feature or the screen is slow and cumbersome and is designed for use while filming (factoring in changing the gimbal settings to slow it down further to get better filming results and its even worse!)
It is such a simple thing for DJI to integrate we cant understand why they don't just do it! unless there is an underlying issue with the MA that they cant do it and don't want us to know!
Many of us do not understand either why it was left off this model (some have been told its a PRO only feature, which is rubbish as the spark has it which is definitely not a pro model (and when they refer to Pro then no one really knows what "Pro" is as the Mavic Pro 2 is still not considered a "Pro" model but more a "Pro"sumer model) which would Phantom Pro, inspires and upwards as the Pro models, they could just mean any model that has Pro in the name, but that still doesn't answer the fact the feature is on the Spark which is only a 2 way gimbal so not a pro model either!
Suitably confused? As we all are!

It would be nice if DJI could put the option back in for safety reasons and let us choose (seeing as its on all the others I cant see why they don't just say "Oh Sh** Sorry we dropped the ball on that one an missed it out and then add the feature back in on the next release! DJIGO4 App is the same app so there is no real need for change there its only a firmware update so that the input from the controller can be interpreted by the MA and its job done!

If it was a feature would you use it?

Cheers

Paul
2018-12-23
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Schmooit Posted at 12-23 03:24
Hi chap yes that is possible but is very very very slow, the Phantom, spark, and all other mavics have had this feature as an option on the custom buttons, once you have used it you will find it very handy.

Either during a video or whilst landing for safety purposes too, the ability to quickly flip the camera down to check what's beneath you and then flip it back up is a must, using the scroll down feature or the screen is slow and cumbersome and is designed for use while filming (factoring in changing the gimbal settings to slow it down further to get better filming results and its even worse!)

I think they intentionally leave things like this out.  Lot of things Mavic Air could be better off with having added and it is perfectly capable on hardware and software level but DJI ignores I think they do it to artificially do it to make a reason for next gen or to further artificially segment higher tier.

like reducing the charging current on the controller so not killing the battery of the RC when using android, quiet props, digital zoom slider, pick the live view quality settings, dual band mode, uplink v downlink signal meter to know if controller or the drone having signal issues, camera pointing center and down function, faster GPS mode, voltage read out next to the battery, set custom low vs critical battery, custom days to discharge option (right now set to 10 days means is a built in programable timer),
2018-12-23
Use props
Schmooit
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HereForTheBeer Posted at 12-23 04:02
I think they intentionally leave things like this out.  Lot of things Mavic Air could be better off with having added and it is perfectly capable on hardware and software level but DJI ignores I think they do it to artificially do it to make a reason for next gen or to further artificially segment higher tier.

like reducing the charging current on the controller so not killing the battery of the RC when using android, quiet props, digital zoom slider, pick the live view quality settings, dual band mode, uplink v downlink signal meter to know if controller or the drone having signal issues, camera pointing center and down function, faster GPS mode, voltage read out next to the battery, set custom low vs critical battery, custom days to discharge option (right now set to 10 days means is a built in programable timer),

Totally agree I think there is a consensus that features will force us into upgrading or trading up, which I do honestly get from a business perspective, and I'm fine to miss out on some of the goodies and additional features of a higher models but I think even for them to keep the controller and flight controls as standard thought the range would make sense especially from a dev platform perspective, the camera down function just seems like a simple function that got left out as all the others have this function but support and dev just seem to ignore our requests (I understand the fixes and bugs but this could be bundled in easily)

2018-12-23
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Schmooit Posted at 12-23 04:13
Totally agree I think there is a consensus that features will force us into upgrading or trading up, which I do honestly get from a business perspective, and I'm fine to miss out on some of the goodies and additional features of a higher models but I think even for them to keep the controller and flight controls as standard thought the range would make sense especially from a dev platform perspective, the camera down function just seems like a simple function that got left out as all the others have this function but support and dev just seem to ignore our requests (I understand the fixes and bugs but this could be bundled in easily)
I agree, just sucks they not giving us the best they can offer.  

The big 3 things I want:  

1. instant camera down/center function, safety function for landing specially in emergency situations.

2. Digital Zoom Slider (doesn’t require that much processing power, a flip phone from mid 2000s can do it).  Again safety, don’t have to fly drone into tops of trees too get a closer look at something, I like using my drones to checking on things.

3.  ability for better dual band WiFi support like splitting channels/bands, channel hopping and higher diversity for better signal quality and less choking out when fly across a WiFi bubble or interference. I find sometimes that’s a safety risk flying and all sudden signal on live view is choking hard but the controls still going through... and sometimes failsafes fail because controller still connected to the drone but the drone isn’t connected to the controller.

All of these things are very easy to add if DJI wanted to...
2018-12-23
Use props
gyrex
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7454275 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Please implement this functionality as soon as possible.
2018-12-25
Use props
richmars
lvl.4
Flight distance : 209537 ft
United Kingdom

I agree this feature would be useful, my P3 had it and I used it a lot, and it would be easy to add.
But, that's not how product development works.
When the development of the MA was first started, there would be a marketing requirement listing all the features it would have. This would be used to position the MA in the range of products that DJI had planned (not it's position relative to existing products, like the Spark).
Once  released, DJI would move as many resources (like software engineers) onto new products, and leave as few as possible supporting bug fixes on the MA. There is no reason to add features to  a product that is released, and there is the danger that adding something, unless very carefully tested (which costs money), would cause something else to go wrong.

So, I don't think you'll see this feature, or any new feature. Sorry. Hope I'm wrong.
2018-12-25
Use props
Schmooit
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

richmars Posted at 12-25 09:51
I agree this feature would be useful, my P3 had it and I used it a lot, and it would be easy to add.
But, that's not how product development works.
When the development of the MA was first started, there would be a marketing requirement listing all the features it would have. This would be used to position the MA in the range of products that DJI had planned (not it's position relative to existing products, like the Spark).

I think that it was more than likely missed out of the plan as I cant think for any reason there would have been a business decision during product specs that said that this function that is on all the other models needs to be removed from the Mavic Air, I think you will find that most of the software used in the MA will still be based on the same code as the Mavic (with minor alterations for the different hardware used, its unlikely the software would have been written from scratch either, the function is there but its just a manual scroll as opposed to a on button flip up or flip down, this is where DJI could excel themselves at customer service and at the next software release add the function back in (its only an option for the programmable button), but I get your point it just seems very strange that it has all the other features plus more of its own but this would not be considered a special feature but more of a standard feature.
2018-12-26
Use props
sfguy1980
lvl.1

Croatia

Obtuso Posted at 8-7 01:28
My bad :-(     Didn't read the Inspire 2 only part. I was sooo excited for this feature... Sorry for inconvenience.

You need to pay atention

http://najboljizubarugradu.com
2018-12-26
Use props
Amarand
lvl.3
Flight distance : 160531 ft
United States

This sounds like a very easy function to write into the code of the controller, software and the aircraft.

But I also know that some companies like to have "checkmark boxes" at various levels, and once they consider something a selling-point for the "pro" line, and a product isn't considered or marketed as "pro" you lose that feature. Sadly. But they could also still call it a "pro" feature, and say "Mavic Air - Now with Pro features, at a Prosumer Price" or whatever. They already have the code for other craft, so I can't imagine it would be an undertaking to apply it to the Mavic Air. Here's hoping!
2019-4-23
Use props
Schmooit
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Amarand Posted at 4-23 11:17
This sounds like a very easy function to write into the code of the controller, software and the aircraft.

But I also know that some companies like to have "checkmark boxes" at various levels, and once they consider something a selling-point for the "pro" line, and a product isn't considered or marketed as "pro" you lose that feature. Sadly. But they could also still call it a "pro" feature, and say "Mavic Air - Now with Pro features, at a Prosumer Price" or whatever. They already have the code for other craft, so I can't imagine it would be an undertaking to apply it to the Mavic Air. Here's hoping!

I agree but I seeing as it is already on the spark and the older Phantom 3 non pro models then I dont see why this is the only model that dosent have the feature, they also need to define pro otherwise all non pro badged models should not have the feature either, and if its a pro feature then surely it would only be on things like the inspire upwards as all the other models (pro badged or not) are under the consumer section on the store? It sounds like dev dropped the ball and cant be bothered to put the feature back in!
2019-4-23
Use props
cjr888
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3686988 ft
  • >>>
Czechia

I'd like to have it too. meanwhile I use one finger slide on screen to tilt the gimbal down quickly and the 'Gimbal recenter' on Fn button does the job in the reverse direction . not the best solution but still better than waiting for it to tilt down completely (i have the tilt speed set up to 6).
2019-4-24
Use props
Amarand
lvl.3
Flight distance : 160531 ft
United States

cjr888 Posted at 4-24 21:36
I'd like to have it too. meanwhile I use one finger slide on screen to tilt the gimbal down quickly and the 'Gimbal recenter' on Fn button does the job in the reverse direction . not the best solution but still better than waiting for it to tilt down completely (i have the tilt speed set up to 6).

Oh, you can slide your finger to quickly request full-down, and it gets there when it gets there? Or is it fairly quick with a finger slide? I hadn't even thought to try that....
2019-4-25
Use props
Schmooit
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Amarand Posted at 4-25 10:20
Oh, you can slide your finger to quickly request full-down, and it gets there when it gets there? Or is it fairly quick with a finger slide? I hadn't even thought to try that....

Yeah its the best work around but still such a simple fix which DJI have deliberately left out of each update since its release! So its clear they dont want to listen to the community, they only probably fix bugs that either they find themselves or that have been found  off the back of a warranty claim!
2019-4-25
Use props
cjr888
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3686988 ft
  • >>>
Czechia

Amarand Posted at 4-25 10:20

it tilts up/down pretty quickly with finger swipe (I'd say something like with tilt speed set to 30 or something like that).
2019-4-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules