Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Software request for Mavic Air Camera Down function
12Next >
6516 68 2018-5-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Schmooit
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1336581 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HI All

I'm not sure if anyone else misses this function but on the Phantoms and Mavic's there is the ability to program one of the controller buttons to rotate the camera downwards to allow for aerial shots from above and to aid safe landing and checking for obstacles prior to descending. The Mavic Air does not have this function which is really annoying (I bought it to replace my SPARK as an everyday carry drone and the spark had that feature)

I have read on other posts here that others also think the same so I thought I would start this thread to allow others to join me in asking for this feature to be added back in the next update release.

So if you agree and would like to help and DJI support are listening please reply with " YES I want this feature"

Any other comments are welcomed also, the aim was to get enough people to reply in the hope that DJI might be listening to their audience of loyal owners and bring this feature to the Mavic Air

Thanks

P
2018-5-10
Use props
LookAt_Wictim
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2621982 ft
Slovakia

" YES I want this feature" missing it from Mavic pro
2018-5-10
Use props
Optimus Prime-Mavic Air
lvl.4
Flight distance : 568704 ft
Vietnam

From my point of view, DJI want to make good quality for the cheapest, avarage for the middle, the best for the expensive. So if you want boomerang, asteroid - get MA, want waypoint - get MP or P4. All you need is record videos and cheap? Get the Spark. But then, the spark have something like MP, the MA have something like MP. You have to choose. I will definitely get Phantom or above to avoid issues. Especially blurry half right side like my MA
2018-5-10
Use props
Robothamster
lvl.3
Flight distance : 51135 ft
United Kingdom

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=132776
There's been a couple of threads about it and DJI mods on here have passed the request on to the engineers.

I really hope it's added bacause I used it all the time on my Spark, it's sorely missed.
2018-5-10
Use props
LookAt_Wictim
lvl.4
Slovakia

Optimus Prime-Mavic Air Posted at 2018-5-10 05:30
From my point of view, DJI want to make good quality for the cheapest, avarage for the middle, the best for the expensive. So if you want boomerang, asteroid - get MA, want waypoint - get MP or P4. All you need is record videos and cheap? Get the Spark. But then, the spark have something like MP, the MA have something like MP. You have to choose. I will definitely get Phantom or above to avoid issues. Especially blurry half right side like my MA

we are talking about basic function...
2018-5-10
Use props
RobertW
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41818 ft
  • >>>
United States

YES I want this feature
2018-5-10
Use props
ggeorgis
lvl.4
Greece

LookAt_Wictim Posted at 2018-5-10 05:44
we are talking about basic function...

According to DJI's engineers this is a PRO function.
If you have not got it by now the Mavic Air is sadly breaking new boundaries for DJI.
Up until now most features were developed and were available for all drone families if the hardwar was able to support it.
With the Mavic Air we have entered a new era where differentiation is also "enforced" via software regardless of whether the hardware is capable of supporting it.
We had to wait for Litchi to add home/course lock, waypoints etc....things that were present on all other current drones and features dating back to the P2/3
2018-5-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Yes it’s a very practical feature, hopefully we will see in future FW.
2018-5-10
Use props
Schmooit
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Optimus Prime-Mavic Air Posted at 2018-5-10 05:30

I understand your point of view but this is something that is pretty simple and not a driver to purchase another model, I like apples but I'm not going to switch them out for my roast potatoes!, special features I am with you on like asteroid etc... but this is just a simple safety function that all drones should have.
2018-5-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

ggeorgis Posted at 2018-5-10 13:44
If you have not got it by now the Mavic Air is sadly breaking new boundaries for DJI.
Up until now most features were developed and were available for all drone families if the hardwar was able to support it.

Your wrong, many features not available for all dji drones, no draw features only inspire2/phantom, dji waypoints only came with p3p, waypoints were not on original Mavic , they came on a later firmware, Litchi was first waypoints for Mavic Pro,  feature OP is looking for is available on spark, there are features on Mavic Pro that are not on P4Pro / inspire2, in fact inspire 2 has fewer features than P4Pro or Mavic Pro .
So what your saying makes no sense and not sure where your getting your information. I think many complained about waypoints, but you will find that 95% will only use Litchi waypoints.
2018-5-10
Use props
Schmooit
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I get what you mean but the Spark and the Phantom (non Pro) have this function so it shouldn't be considered a feature but more of a safety need, the camera does rotate all the way down so its not a hardware issue its just takes the user and age to scroll down!

New boundaries should mean enhancements and new features not removing what would be deemed standard, my car has auto breaking and lane assist but they didn't take out the break pedal.

I'm all for progress but if I cant easily see whats under my ship how can I safely land? (this is for situations where people are around the area I launched from but where not there when I launched and I need to pick a different LZ).

I don't want to disagree with anyone but I think this is a simple and easy fix for DJI that is not going to make any difference in buying a spark or Mavic Air, as the Air is still more money so if it was available on the spark that isn't a pro model either then why should the more expensive model like the air not have it.

If they cant add this then I might as well sell it and stick with my Mavic Pro P 'which kind of poses the question as to where the Mavic Air really sits in the line up, do non Pro people really not want to land safely or take shots from directly underneath them without waiting for the camera to scroll down slowly? maybe they only want footage from of the horizon perspective and I'm just weird for wanting to take a shot from above, I just think this is a simple and easy fix that would satisfy many (When we all take a flight in a real plane or heli we all look out the window at the ground so it makes me think that this is not just PRO feature but more of a normal as you would expect feature.
(This is aimed at DJI as opposed to you chap, in the hope we might get DJI to listen and engage with us, shouldn't need aftermarket apps or hacks to provide the simple features, the camera already goes down but only by scrolling slowly, it just needs to flip down and up and can be assigned to a programmable button! its not much DJI).

2018-5-10
Use props
Schmooit
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Robothamster Posted at 2018-5-10 05:38
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=132776
There's been a couple of threads about it and DJI mods on here have passed the request on to the engineers.

I agree its missed other forums have address the issue but I thought it would be best to start a dedicated thread just for this topic so it doesn't get lost in the conversations in other posts. So hopefully this thread just becomes a yes or no thread with comments following rather than just a conversation thread per se

Its just a simple function and an easy fix we just need to make ourselves heard.

Peops please just answer yes you want it and then make your comments otherwise this post will be difficult for DJI to see our responses.
2018-5-10
Use props
Optimus Prime-Mavic Air
lvl.4
Flight distance : 568704 ft
Vietnam

Schmooit Posted at 2018-5-10 14:02
I understand your point of view but this is something that is pretty simple and not a driver to purchase another model, I like apples but I'm not going to switch them out for my roast potatoes!, special features I am with you on like asteroid etc... but this is just a simple safety function that all drones should have.

I totally agreed with you, some very basic safety functions must be applied. In my words, i mean DJI just want us to spend more money because with them, they never bring all thing enough - like Apple, you can get iphone 32gb but for large memory, spend more. Like that
2018-5-10
Use props
GDL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Singapore

It should be easy to program C1 or C2 button on RC to look down. DJI should include this function in next firmware upgrade for MA.
2018-5-10
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

This request was forwarded to the engineers before, and I will help to transfer the post again. Hopefully, the engineers will take it into consideration.
2018-5-10
Use props
Schmooit
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-5-10 20:26
This request was forwarded to the engineers before, and I will help to transfer the post again. Hopefully, the engineers will take it into consideration.

Thanks Thor I did see this in another post but there didn't seem to be any response back from them so thought I would try and get some momentum with a dedicated post for this one feature, we are not asking for much as this feature is already available models so maybe is was left out by mistake or maybe by design, There is a feature on the c1 and c2 buttons for playback? which is much less useful while the bird is in flight so it could easily be swapped out for that function, or battery info for that matter these are 2 selections that can easily be view in a sub menu if required but is unlikely to be in high demand whilst in flight where as the camera down function is and would be useful, I hope they can add this one little feature in for us in the next update thanks for your help
2018-5-10
Use props
LookAt_Wictim
lvl.4
Slovakia

curse lock is present in tap fly free mode
2018-5-13
Use props
Zatx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 158166 ft
United States

Yes, I demand this feature.
2018-5-14
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Schmooit Posted at 2018-5-10 23:24
Thanks Thor I did see this in another post but there didn't seem to be any response back from them so thought I would try and get some momentum with a dedicated post for this one feature, we are not asking for much as this feature is already available models so maybe is was left out by mistake or maybe by design, There is a feature on the c1 and c2 buttons for playback? which is much less useful while the bird is in flight so it could easily be swapped out for that function, or battery info for that matter these are 2 selections that can easily be view in a sub menu if required but is unlikely to be in high demand whilst in flight where as the camera down function is and would be useful, I hope they can add this one little feature in for us in the next update thanks for your help

Understood that. Since the request has been forwarded, I hope it can be realized, too.
2018-5-14
Use props
darrc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5558 ft
Singapore

The current custom function already has the option to set the gimbal to level. I set that option on the right shoulder button.

The lookdown function is just a variation of this existing function. Does it wring a lot of brain juice to add that? *curious*

Then again, I rather they dedicate their time to fix the terribly buggy and dangerous .0400 firmware first!
2018-5-14
Use props
fansd235234d
lvl.3
Flight distance : 770046 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Available NOW!! Version 4.2.24 just added the feature
2018-8-3
Use props
fansd235234d
lvl.3
  • >>>
Spain

2018-8-3
Use props
AdZaM
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

fansd235234d Posted at 2018-8-3 10:21

Where abouts ?

I couldn't find it under custom button functions ?
2018-8-5
Use props
Schmooit
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AdZaM Posted at 2018-8-5 02:08
Where abouts ?

I couldn't find it under custom button functions ?

Mine doesnt seem to want to pick up the update, has this just come out within 48 hrs?
2018-8-5
Use props
AdZaM
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Schmooit Posted at 2018-8-5 06:44
Mine doesnt seem to want to pick up the update, has this just come out within 48 hrs?

Yes, 4.2.24 appears to have been released a few days ago on Apple App Store. But it didn't mention this feature being changed. I only updated after reading the post above. Gimble Re-centre is still there but no Camera Down function on IOS at least anyway. Maybe the function is on Android now. Can anyone confirm?

It could be that it only appears on firmware .400 as I am still on .300
2018-8-5
Use props
Schmooit
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AdZaM Posted at 2018-8-5 13:17
Yes, 4.2.24 appears to have been released a few days ago on Apple App Store. But it didn't mention this feature being changed. I only updated after reading the post above. Gimble Re-centre is still there but no Camera Down function on IOS at least anyway. Maybe the function is on Android now. Can anyone confirm?

It could be that it only appears on firmware .400 as I am still on .300

I'm just downloading  it now so ill let you know if it works fingers crossed as this is a feature I really need and to be honest makes me pick the MPP over the MA if I'm out and about which is a bit of a shame as the MA is tiny and easy to carry.
2018-8-6
Use props
Schmooit
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Schmooit Posted at 2018-8-6 03:55
I'm just downloading  it now so ill let you know if it works fingers crossed as this is a feature I really need and to be honest makes me pick the MPP over the MA if I'm out and about which is a bit of a shame as the MA is tiny and easy to carry.

Downloaded the latest app version and yes it does say on the "Whats new" section on the app store
Adds a new function where you can re-center the gimbal (pretty sure this was there before) or move it downwards with the custom button)

Cant see an option for gimbal down function in the drop down list (unless its the recenter gimbal option that does it, maybe press once it  for gimbal down and then again for gimbal recenter? so it acts as a toggle)?

I only updated the app and dont have MA with me but ill try it tonight when I get in and see if works, if not DJI you need to sort for us please maybe it was meant to be in this release but the wrong version got released?

I think we were expecting a new option in the drop down list for Camera down/up?
2018-8-6
Use props
Schmooit
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Schmooit Posted at 2018-8-6 04:17
Downloaded the latest app version and yes it does say on the "Whats new" section on the app store
Adds a new function where you can re-center the gimbal (pretty sure this was there before) or move it downwards with the custom button)

Another note on this I just  checked my DJI Go app for my P3P and I dont see this option on there either anymore (this is on my Iphone X (which I dont normally use for flying the P3P so maybe its just related to Iphone X perhaps?)

I will check my Ipads tonight, I haven't used the P3P for a while now and the App is the most recent updated version of the app so will need to investigate further but I will be pretty annoyed if its been removed?
2018-8-6
Use props
nixuspix
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2864974 ft
  • >>>
Latvia

YES, i want this for sure as well
2018-8-6
Use props
Schmooit
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi All

Bad News  Bear is here! after some testing and app updating etc.. This new functionality is no where to be seen! Not sure what DJI are doing but 2 possibilities the function is in the code but the software package is still using the old drop down list and someone forgot to release that part (QC and testing should have spotted this as its clearly not been tested before release which is a bit unprofessional (maybe DJI are copying Microsoft on that front!) or the other possibility is that its not in the code at all and the list of new features on the app store wasnt edited properly and this much wanted feature didnt make it in this latest release!

Tested on my Iphone X feature not available
Tested on Iphone 6 Plus feature was not available
Tested on Ipad Mini 4 and guess what the feature was not available

All were updated to the latest version of the app and the Custom button menu has not changed at all, I did have a thought that maybe the Recenter gimbal function might work to toggle on an off but this is not the case.  

So I dusted of the old bird P3P and updated the GO app (and the Camera down/Forward function is still there ! (my gripe earlier was a red herring as it only seems to be available one connected to the aircraft.

(one weird thing I did notice is that if you have both apps on ipad or phone and are NOT connected to the remote or aircraft but go into the setting menu to configure the remote is seems to default to the Phantom remote settings (where you have C1 and C2 regardless of which aircraft I select (not a biggy but did freak me out a bit thinking the latest DJI GO4 had done something weird!)

So it looks like DJI have dropped the ball on this release however its clear to see they are listening to us and I would like to say thanks to them for that and to anyone else who has who has been helped and Thor our tame admin.

Any chance would could get a DJIGO 4 (4.2.25 patch to include this if it was just simply left out from the drop down menu?
2018-8-6
Use props
PS013
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3579409 ft
United States

Schmooit Posted at 2018-8-6 12:40
Hi All

Bad News  Bear is here! after some testing and app updating etc.. This new functionality is no where to be seen! Not sure what DJI are doing but 2 possibilities the function is in the code but the software package is still using the old drop down list and someone forgot to release that part (QC and testing should have spotted this as its clearly not been tested before release which is a bit unprofessional (maybe DJI are copying Microsoft on that front!) or the other possibility is that its not in the code at all and the list of new features on the app store wasnt edited properly and this much wanted feature didnt make it in this latest release!

The way I read the Release notes for version 4.2.24, the "Recenter the gimbal or move it downward with the custom button" was added to the Inspire 2 only
2018-8-6
Use props
Schmooit
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Good spot  I overlooked that! I was just testing based on someone else’s comment saying it had been added Doh! Still I remember DJI engineers saying it was a pro feature! is the inspire not a pro drone then DJI? That you  needed to add this function to a 2.5k+ drone that is available on the non pro spark!

And to think I thought they had helped us out!
2018-8-6
Use props
AdZaM
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Yes, Well spotted PS013.

I rushed to update without reading the changes so got caught in an update frenzy as I was so excited once I read the above post that the feature had finally been added. Only then not being able to find it under custom button functions, then asked the questioned believing that I may have been looking in the wrong area in the menu. This is the single most feature I miss from the P4P Pro.

When having the gimble set to slow movement so as to aid in the capture of cinematic movement, It would be awesome to be able to toggle between Re-centre & Down for the gimble as it aids in both safety for the aircraft and to be able to see what is directly below so to avoid incident.

Come on DJI, Truly this could be programmed quite easily as half the job is done. To spend 10-20 secs to tilt camera down is so annoying I find using the P4P pro for this reason alone more enjoyable.

2018-8-7
Use props
Obtuso
lvl.3
  • >>>
Spain

My bad :-(     Didn't read the Inspire 2 only part. I was sooo excited for this feature... Sorry for inconvenience.
2018-8-7
Use props
Schmooit
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Obtuso Posted at 2018-8-7 01:28
My bad :-(     Didn't read the Inspire 2 only part. I was sooo excited for this feature... Sorry for inconvenience.

nice to see that DJI hasnt made any comments on this yet though and even though it was mis-read still not sure why a pro feature wasn't available on a pro drone like the Inspire 2, maybe someone can qualify if the option was missing for the inspire!

Still dont understand why this feature cant be added and like we have all asked the code is already there on so many others!

I guess the focus is only the new mavic bugs they about to release!
2018-8-7
Use props
Oldass
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3038 ft
Czechia

There is this function, for Mavic Air.
edit: sorry, there is only recenter.
But, for the rotate camera downwards, I use touch screen, it is done in 1s. Just swipe down.
2018-8-7
Use props
AdZaM
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Obtuso Posted at 2018-8-7 01:28
My bad :-(     Didn't read the Inspire 2 only part. I was sooo excited for this feature... Sorry for inconvenience.

No need for an apology, I was just disappointed with DJI. When I first read that post I was excited and thought that DJI had come thru with the goods, Its DJI's lack of interest / commitment / comment willingness to respond, Inability to respond.

I really think that the Admins (DJI Staff) of this forum have a tuff job, They have to listen to us mostly wine & complain, They clearly get minimal responses from the engineers from any requests. Therefore once they respond to a topic initially they cannot respond any other way so its easier not to comment. As they will just receive further ridicule.

Sad really Sad, They have such great products. But with minor tweaks, feature inclusions they could be far superior. Generally they are the leader in this type of technology, However one day another company will have products equal in technology, but hopefully better customer after sales service, That has the processes to communicate back to the Customers, Only then will they understand were they went wrong.  

My 2 Cents
2018-8-7
Use props
Schmooit
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dear DJI Could we get some action on this little feature please? I just bought the Mavic Pro 2 combo so its not as if Im not loyal!
2018-8-23
Use props
Charissa
Second Officer
Flight distance : 689334 ft
South Africa

Have to say, the way they treat and update the MA, would be the deciding factor for me if i am to buy any other DJI drone. If they do not support and update features on a fairly new drone like the MA, which they marketed as all others before, then i have no hope for them doing it for the latest new drones.
So yes, i want this feature. (and maybe a couple of things more please)
2018-8-23
Use props
Obtuso
lvl.3
  • >>>
Spain

Oldass Posted at 2018-8-7 11:31
There is this function, for Mavic Air.
edit: sorry, there is only recenter.
But, for the rotate camera downwards, I use touch screen, it is done in 1s. Just swipe down.

Culd you please describe how you do it? I’ve tried with my Mavic Air and can’t find the way. Thanks
2018-9-2
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules