MA v01.00.0400 Issues (glitch in yaw and slowly turning in yaw)
21098 274 2018-5-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
EdisonW1979
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1535679 ft
Canada

Brantel Posted at 2018-7-11 17:51
Context for anyone that stumbles across this thread in the future:

All three drone DAT file logs that I posted screen shots from here recently in this thread were drone logs from the same Mavic Air with the same serial number.  (not mine)

Thank you for that @Brantel! The time and effort you put into not only looking at logs and videos of complete strangers, but also to provide the synopsis and screenshots of the analyzed data is invaluable!

I must extend a heart-felt apology for having gotten your thread hijacked by hallmark007, but if you'd seen the other PM's he's been taunting and bullying me with in private, lashing out at me publicly when I finally expose even a small portion of the harassment I've had to endure because of him, you'd know why I wanted to expose him publicly once and for all. I have the same goals as you' to see what's going on with the technology I own, and if it has a problem, try to fix it myself, or get the data needed to fix it. And also to bring attention to this for other pilots with these problems so DJI knows it must act on it, otherwise people will wise up to it and cause them PR headaches.

Again, my apologies for the drama brought to this thread, but at least, in the end, good came out of it by giving you access to more logs to analyze, and exposing a virulent troll on this site.

Keep up the awesome work, and here's hoping DJI is paying attention!
2018-7-11
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-7-11 19:52
Thank you for that @Brantel! The time and effort you put into not only looking at logs and videos of complete strangers, but also to provide the synopsis and screenshots of the analyzed data is invaluable!

I must extend a heart-felt apology for having gotten your thread hijacked by hallmark007, but if you'd seen the other PM's he's been taunting and bullying me with in private, lashing out at me publicly when I finally expose even a small portion of the harassment I've had to endure because of him, you'd know why I wanted to expose him publicly once and for all. I have the same goals as you' to see what's going on with the technology I own, and if it has a problem, try to fix it myself, or get the data needed to fix it. And also to bring attention to this for other pilots with these problems so DJI knows it must act on it, otherwise people will wise up to it and cause them PR headaches.

It's an amazing effort that Brantel has put in on this thread mate - which I for one really appreciate too. No doubt such a compliment to a fellow forum user will be downvoted by the spineless simpletons on here who dare show their face but hey ho - just another win. "He who laughs last, laughs longest"
2018-7-12
Use props
TZero
lvl.4
Flight distance : 547618 ft
Brazil

All three drone DAT file logs that I posted screen shots from here recently in this thread were drone logs from the same Mavic Air with the same serial number.  (not mine)

Congrats Bro !

2018-7-12
Use props
WayneMHK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 694728 ft
  • >>>
United States

Lifescaner Posted at 2018-7-11 08:51
more Popcorn please !
But how long must we wait ?
Come on DJI, give us a solution for this dangerous Problem !

I offer my experience on this issue just in case others might want to follow.  My MA came with FW .0300 and it flew great for a couple weeks.  Then .0400 came out.  It immediately began exhibiting the issues chronicled in this thread.  I tried multiple FW refreshes and calibrations of everything, and while some of the issues were reduced (not fixed), they continued to persist.  Very unnerving to fly.

I was going on a trip and really wanted a working MA, so I finally decided to purchase another MA to test if it had the same issues.  It came with .0300 and I updated it to .0400.  I've since had multiple flights in multiple locations without issues (other than it getting flagged by TSA in O'Hare).  

Thinking that perhaps there were a batch of MAs with faulty electronics that were aggravated by the new FW, I decided to start a repair ticket on my original MA, and the process was smooth and relatively painless.  DJI support (in US) kept me advised during the whole process, and let me know that they were replacing the core board at no cost.  I received it back yesterday.  

The repaired aircraft appears to have the same shell (my FAA sticker was still attached) but had a new SN and needed activated (I'll have to see if I can get my DJI Care Refresh moved over).  It came with .0300, and I chose not to upgrade it at this point.  I flew one battery last evening and all went well.

I'll wait until there's a new update before doing anything else, and fly my spare for now.  Once this issue gets sorted out, and I'm confident they are both flying well, I'll sell one of the two.

Take this for what it's worth, but my initial aircraft, that flew fine before the update, apparently had a bad core board.  Maybe I'm not alone.
2018-7-12
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

WayneMHK Posted at 2018-7-12 06:04
I offer my experience on this issue just in case others might want to follow.  My MA came with FW .0300 and it flew great for a couple weeks.  Then .0400 came out.  It immediately began exhibiting the issues chronicled in this thread.  I tried multiple FW refreshes and calibrations of everything, and while some of the issues were reduced (not fixed), they continued to persist.  Very unnerving to fly.

I was going on a trip and really wanted a working MA, so I finally decided to purchase another MA to test if it had the same issues.  It came with .0300 and I updated it to .0400.  I've since had multiple flights in multiple locations without issues (other than it getting flagged by TSA in O'Hare).  

Wondering what would happen if repaired drone were upgraded to .0400 FW?  
(Possibly nothing if issue is a case of re-re-refreshing FW to .0400).

Also wondering why DJI returned your MA running .0300, instead of .0400 FW?
2018-7-12
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Sorry you got dragged into this.  Again thanks for your efforts.
2018-7-12
Use props
WayneMHK
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-7-12 06:37

I'll have to look a little closer, but it IS possible they just put my FAA sticker on a completely new or refurbished aircraft, which would explain the FW status and the new S/N, although it's possible that a new core board would be like that as well.  I had taken the ring off the camera lens and loosely replaced it on my original, so if this one is difficult to get off, it's likely a whole new a/c.  I may go ahead and upgrade this one just to see how it responds.

BTW, my DJI Care Refresh had already been transferred to the new a/c S/N.
2018-7-12
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-7-12 06:37

That's a good point on the replacement being one behind...
2018-7-12
Use props
WayneMHK
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-7-12 13:11
That's a good point on the replacement being one behind...

Well it appears that even tho the DJI repair shop said they were replacing the core board, I actually received a completely new or refurbished aircraft, which would explain the FW that was loaded (I haven't heard of anyone receiving a new a/c with .0400 installed).  Perhaps it was simpler/quicker for them to do that.  I certainly don't mind that, other than I have to register another s/n.  I did go ahead and update to .0400 and ran 3 batteries through last night, putting it through as many paces as I could.  I had no issues.
2018-7-13
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2103150 ft

WayneMHK Posted at 2018-7-13 05:23
Well it appears that even tho the DJI repair shop said they were replacing the core board, I actually received a completely new or refurbished aircraft, which would explain the FW that was loaded (I haven't heard of anyone receiving a new a/c with .0400 installed).  Perhaps it was simpler/quicker for them to do that.  I certainly don't mind that, other than I have to register another s/n.  I did go ahead and update to .0400 and ran 3 batteries through last night, putting it through as many paces as I could.  I had no issues.

That's great!

Keep this thread updated if it continues to be problem-free, or if the problems return.
2018-7-13
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

WayneMHK Posted at 2018-7-13 05:23

Good to know mate
2018-7-13
Use props
DJI Grace
Administrator
Flight distance : 405039 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Hi everyone. We encourage free discussion but we disagree with the barren argument in DJI Forum. Anyone who break the atmosphere will be given a warning. Thanks!
2018-7-16
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

DJI Grace Posted at 2018-7-16 19:49
Hi everyone. We encourage free discussion but we disagree with the barren argument in DJI Forum. Anyone who break the atmosphere will be given a warning. Thanks!

Barren argument as in: ''an argument so full of truth-preserving value that there is nothing really to be learned from it"?
2018-7-16
Use props
WayneMHK
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Jyunte Posted at 2018-7-13 07:43
That's great!

Keep this thread updated if it continues to be problem-free, or if the problems return.

3 more batteries on the replacement aircraft on .0400 last night.  It was dead-calm so I couldn't pass it up.  Spent a little over 40 minutes putting it through it's paces and had it out to 2500 ft and up to 300 ft.  Not a single glitch so far.  The MA really is fun to fly when it works right.
2018-7-17
Use props
EdisonW1979
Second Officer
Canada

WayneMHK Posted at 2018-7-17 05:31
3 more batteries on the replacement aircraft on .0400 last night.  It was dead-calm so I couldn't pass it up.  Spent a little over 40 minutes putting it through it's paces and had it out to 2500 ft and up to 300 ft.  Not a single glitch so far.  The MA really is fun to fly when it works right.

I'm happy you're one of the few pilots who's now able to enjoy their bird fully, as it was meant to be!

I just wish I was one of them too
2018-7-17
Use props
WayneMHK
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-7-17 10:03
I'm happy you're one of the few pilots who's now able to enjoy their bird fully, as it was meant to be!

I just wish I was one of them too

My only suggestion would be to start a repair ticket and send it in.  I know not everyone can do that easily,  but I've given up on there being a firmware fix anywhere in the near future.
2018-7-17
Use props
EdisonW1979
Second Officer
Canada

OK,

Yesterday, I decided to perform another IMU, VPS, Gimbal, and Compass calibration on my MA, and take it out for another test flight.

The IMU calibration was performed on a COMPLETELY LEVEL (both X and Y axis verified level with high-end bubble level) platform that I adjusted to perfect flat, to make sure the IMU calibration was perfect.

After calibrations were complete, I took it out to a completely empty football field, away from any interference sources such as power lines, cell / Wi-Fi antennas, and such. Weather conditions were sunny at 30c, with 0 KM/h wind.

The attached logs were of my first flight, including the video screen capture of the app.

Upon take-off, not only did I experience the now-known yaw twitch to the left, but afterwards, during the precision takeoff sequence, it CONTINUED to yaw left, then once the precision takeoff finished, started to yaw right!

In the video clip it shows me putting it in Sport mode, so I could bring it low to me and close by, to examine how well the IMU calibration worked in terms of the drone hovering level. It hovered completely level, and after the yaw glitches, seemed to be rock solid, but later on in the flight also began having yaw drift.

If @Brantel or @JJBSpark could look at these logs, would be very appreciative!

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/TL7YPEFKOX0OO4ZA9TN2/

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g6dwae89f26n86p/2018-07-16_18-23-25_FLY063.DAT?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9vwoon2j8fp4590/IMG_0554.TRIM.MOV?dl=0

Cheers
2018-7-17
Use props
EdisonW1979
Second Officer
Canada

WayneMHK Posted at 2018-7-17 10:17
My only suggestion would be to start a repair ticket and send it in.  I know not everyone can do that easily,  but I've given up on there being a firmware fix anywhere in the near future.

Trust me, I've been tempted to go down that path, but as you may or may not be aware, I actually went out and bought a second testing unit, which came with 0400 from the factory, and it was beautiful for the first half-dozen flights or so, and then went downhill from there, and returned it before my 15-day grace period from the Apple Store was up.

I've also tried DJI support, and that was a DISMAL DISASTER, and I won't go down that path unless it's the last resort. To me, bad customer service = no thank you!
2018-7-17
Use props
Brantel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 294997 ft
United States

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-7-17 10:34
OK,

Yesterday, I decided to perform another IMU, VPS, Gimbal, and Compass calibration on my MA, and take it out for another test flight.

yaw glitch.png

Notice the movement in yaw without any command from the pilot at takeoff.
2018-7-17
Use props
EdisonW1979
Second Officer
Canada

Brantel Posted at 2018-7-17 11:40
[view_image]

Notice the movement in yaw without any command from the pilot at takeoff.

Thank you again Brantel for posting up those results!

At first I thought the secondary yaw movement may have been the gimbal doing some kind of correction, but this definitely shows un-commanded yaw movement.

If I may ask, which app do you use to generate these analysis? I have a Mac, so was wondering if there is a macOS version of it I can use...

Sorry to see your posts getting downvotes by the resident trolls too
2018-7-17
Use props
WayneMHK
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-7-17 10:49
Trust me, I've been tempted to go down that path, but as you may or may not be aware, I actually went out and bought a second testing unit, which came with 0400 from the factory, and it was beautiful for the first half-dozen flights or so, and then went downhill from there, and returned it before my 15-day grace period from the Apple Store was up.

I've also tried DJI support, and that was a DISMAL DISASTER, and I won't go down that path unless it's the last resort. To me, bad customer service = no thank you!

That's the first time I've heard of a unit shipping with .0400.  The 3 I've had all came with .0300.
2018-7-17
Use props
EdisonW1979
Second Officer
Canada

WayneMHK Posted at 2018-7-17 12:07
That's the first time I've heard of a unit shipping with .0400.  The 3 I've had all came with .0300.

This unit was manufactured after 0400 was released, so makes sense it would ship with 0400
2018-7-17
Use props
Brantel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 294997 ft
United States

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-7-17 12:01
Thank you again Brantel for posting up those results!

At first I thought the secondary yaw movement may have been the gimbal doing some kind of correction, but this definitely shows un-commanded yaw movement.

I don’t care what they do with their votes.

Like it or leave it the log is the log.....

https://datfile.net/CsvView/downloads.html

There is a Mac version available.  
2018-7-17
Use props
EdisonW1979
Second Officer
Canada

Brantel Posted at 2018-7-17 13:24
I don’t care what they do with their votes.

Like it or leave it the log is the log.....

Thanks a bunch! I'm gonna go play with that right now!!!

Yes, they're just really petty for down voting entries whose sole content is log data, unbelievable!

Thanks again for the post!!!
2018-7-17
Use props
Split-Second
lvl.2

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-7-17 10:34
OK,

Yesterday, I decided to perform another IMU, VPS, Gimbal, and Compass calibration on my MA, and take it out for another test flight.

I've got the exact same problem since .400
With the .300 no problems whatsoever. After updating the firmware I also experience the left yaw with takeoff and I can't seem to fly the drone in a straight line anymore. (always drifting left).
Recalibrated everything with no succes. Hoping the new firmware brings a solution to these problems.

Fingers crossed !

Bought mine in March.
I'm from Belgium.
2018-7-18
Use props
ANTHONYVLOG
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1217552 ft
  • >>>
France

I did some tests and something I noticed which may be of interest. I tested with all the vision sensors turned off and it seemed to fly straight. Can someone else verify this please. TIA!!

Anthony.
2018-7-26
Use props
OneDoesNotSimply
Second Officer
Flight distance : 662644 ft
United States

I am on firmware .400 and had the yaw issue today just after takeoff and hover. I also had a small amount drifting during RTH which I had not seen before. I have recently had the motor current error nonesense and other issues like starting to lose altitude during hover (only had this once, was stopped by a quick throttle blip).

I wish DJI would fix this issues as I am getting a bit tired of not knowing if my drone is going to fly flawlessly or badly on any given day.

To be clear, before the .400 firmware I had no issues whatsoever.
2018-7-26
Use props
kovat53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 324521 ft
Hungary

Robxxx Posted at 2018-5-16 01:08
I have the same problem with drifting MA after update to 0400.

Me too since 0400 update, before it never happened....
2018-7-26
Use props
EdisonW1979
Second Officer
Canada

ANTHONYVLOG Posted at 2018-7-26 09:27
I did some tests and something I noticed which may be of interest. I tested with all the vision sensors turned off and it seemed to fly straight. Can someone else verify this please. TIA!!

Anthony.

I'd love to test that, and I will, once the temps around here cool down enough to let me go into the field somewhere and fly...

Right now it's so hot, the drone is borderline overheating, and my iPhone X overheats due to DJI GO 4; can only fly in this heat with Litchi, as it doesn't have anywhere near the resource drain on my device...

2018-7-27
Use props
zguy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 243796 ft
United States

Still experiencing the uncomanded yaw issue which is ruining many shots.
Can't believe DJI is taking so long to respond to this well documented issue.
Very poor customer suport!
2018-9-2
Use props
zguy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 243796 ft
United States

Installed 0.500 yeaterday and still experiencing uncomanded yaw.  Trying to fly straight forward at the begining of flight is impossible.  Seems to get better towards the middle/end of the flight.
Have any others tried 0.500 and what is your experience?
2018-10-1
Use props
Ovi 1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 351545 ft
United States

Check your remote control guys.
2018-10-1
Use props
EdisonW1979
Second Officer
Canada

I can confirm after updating to MA 0500 and RC 0200, and re-calibrating the entire drone and RC, I still experience the yaw glitch...

Right now, it happens just after I start moving the drone forward after precision takeoff, and the effect is smaller; around 7-8 degrees vs 12-15 as before, so it's been improved, but still there
2018-10-1
Use props
InvisibleName 7
Second Officer
Flight distance : 795653 ft

zguy Posted at 2018-10-1 17:30
Installed 0.500 yeaterday and still experiencing uncomanded yaw.  Trying to fly straight forward at the begining of flight is impossible.  Seems to get better towards the middle/end of the flight.
Have any others tried 0.500 and what is your experience?

.0500 Installed, rock solid!
2018-10-1
Use props
Beeza77
lvl.2
Australia

I'm also still experiencing the yaw glitch and a small amount of drifting after the .0500 update. Only happens with the first initial precision take off. If I land and take off again, the problem seems to go away. Was hoping this firmware would fix the issue. Maybe it's time for me to send it back to Dji for assessment?
2018-10-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules