MA v01.00.0400 Issues (glitch in yaw and slowly turning in yaw)
21074 273 2018-5-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-5-27 19:00
Watchberger,

I know you’ve been around in this forum much longer than I, and many others have been, who have much less flight time and experience than you, but I have 24+ years experience as an IT professional, and as such, view this situation from a different perspective than perhaps even a UAV pilot would, having a deeper understanding of the technology side of things.

I think the problem is you are obviously having problems many from what I read, you are attributing all of these to .400 and very forcibly, so it leads others who may have only small issues that can be easily fixed through calibration compass/IMU gimbal etc believing their problems are directly caused by .400, which in most cases from what I read is not the case, so watchberger by showing his video can show others that .400 may not be the cause of the problems they are having.

I think you would push your case forward much quicker here if you just done some videos of the problems you are having along with logs, and others can compare.

As long as I’ve been around here I have never seen dji rush through a quick fix firmware and I don’t envisage it happening here, so if there is something others can do to help then post the video and log and let’s see where it goes.
2018-5-30
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-5-28 09:27
To be fair, I've seen the MA teardown performed to see what the internals look like, and I must say the engineering and craftsmanship of the hardware is actually FAR SUPERIOR than that of their competitors on the market.

Not to mention, pretty much EVERYTHING these days is made in China, so the claim of them using "economical components" can be said for most anything made there, it's not a differentiating factor I'd use in this circumstance.

so the claim of them using "economical components" can be said for most  anything made there, it's not a differentiating factor I'd use in this  circumstance.

In regards to ''enconomical'' and ''most anything'', the following two quotes comes to mind -
I felt exactly how you would feel if you were getting ready to launch  and knew you were sitting on top of two million parts -- all built by  the lowest bidder on a government contract.

It's a very sobering feeling to be up in space and realize that one's safety factor was determined by the lowest bidder on a government contract.

2018-5-30
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Heavenone Posted at 2018-5-17 10:03
Hope  we will get soon an firmware update to solve all these dangerous problems,
a pity thats no roll back possible for 0400...so Dji must hurry up to solve it.......

a pity thats no roll back possible for 0400...

There in lies a problem DJI has hoisted upon us, and themselves.  

If people could revert to previous firmware, even possibly original firmware loaded at factory; most of these problems could be easily verified as to whether it is bug(s) in new firmware or not.

One of the First steps when working problem(s) that have appeared is to ask: What has changed from before?
If answer comes up with: Other than, replacing the original Thingamajig, with new improved Whizbang version of Thingamajig; nothing else has changed.
It is time to start looking at: Were there mistakes made during replacement?  Were new settings required to go with replacement, and those not done?  

Failing those it is time to consider putting original Thingamajig back in place, and seeing if problem(s) that did appear - go away.

2018-5-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

dv8ed Posted at 2018-5-30 08:35
Here's my video of issue.
https://youtu.be/Hlq6vfyw6Qs

I don’t know if you still have a log with that video, I can see what looks like involuntary yaw movement also I can see stick movements to yaw which you can see by speed change also I presume you are moving gimbal up and down.
2018-5-30
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-30 10:14
I think the problem is you are obviously having problems many from what I read, you are attributing all of these to .400 and very forcibly, so it leads others who may have only small issues that can be easily fixed through calibration compass/IMU gimbal etc believing their problems are directly caused by .400, which in most cases from what I read is not the case, so watchberger by showing his video can show others that .400 may not be the cause of the problems they are having.

I think you would push your case forward much quicker here if you just done some videos of the problems you are having along with logs, and others can compare.

Dear Captain, thank you very much for your experienced and objective intervention! I am getting the feeling that since a few days things are turning in a useless circle. Some pilots are experiencing issues since the latest firmware update, many others are not (including you and me).
While it is a natural reaction when problems arise to first ask the question "What has changed that might have triggered the problem?" and a firmware update appears to be the most obvious or at least easiest answer, there are so many other possible factors at stake that can play a significant role as well (flight location, lack of GPS, individual user settings, the way the update has been installed etc. etc.). The possibilities are manyfold...
All we can do in such a situation is trying to track the root cause, which should be the interest of all of us, even if we are not affected by the current problems that some are experiencing. Potentially, we could encounter the same problems in the future and will be happy to already know the solution from this process we are in right now.
Just what will definitely not help anyone right now, is just to sit back and wait for the next firmware update or claiming it loudly while the root causes of certain problems have not been identified. There are just too many users who have no problems at all to simply claim that the .400 firmware is crap and should be replaced immediately.
Thus once again my appeal to all here: Let's join our efforts to track down the root causes of problems. All will benefit from this exercise at the end of the day.
2018-5-30
Use props
TZero
lvl.4
Flight distance : 547618 ft
Brazil

My humble contribution to demonstrate video problems after firmware 400.

Notice that the MA was relatively close, good signal in both 2.4 and 5.8 and even using the Litchi

2018-5-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

TZero Posted at 2018-5-30 13:15
My humble contribution to demonstrate video problems after firmware 400.

Notice that the MA was relatively close, good signal in both 2.4 and 5.8 and even using the Litchi

It’s not exactly clear what your saying regarding Litchi . Is it ok using Litchi if not then it may not be a problem with .400
2018-5-30
Use props
TZero
lvl.4
Brazil

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-30 14:15
It’s not exactly clear what your saying regarding Litchi . Is it ok using Litchi if not then it may not be a problem with .400

You may notice at the beginning of the recorded video using Litchi that the passage of the vehicles is not "fluid". The image I received on my phone shows several "jumps". (it was recorded from the phone without editing)
This filmed the same place I always filmed with the firmw 200 and then the 300 without any problem in the preview. This happened to Litchi and DJI GO after the 400
2018-5-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

TZero Posted at 2018-5-30 14:48
You may notice at the beginning of the recorded video using Litchi that the passage of the vehicles is not "fluid". The image I received on my phone shows several "jumps". (it was recorded from the phone without editing)
This filmed the same place I always filmed with the firmw 200 and then the 300 without any problem in the preview. This happened to Litchi and DJI GO after the 400

There should not be the same problem using Litchi app , because of .400 firmware in the dji go app, this is my point, although you may not have had problems in the past, the area from looking at your video is a recipe for WiFi interference among much other interference.

I’m not saying in your videos you don’t have problems because it’s quite obvious, and only way may be to see if area free of interference would change anything.
2018-5-30
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-30 14:59
There should not be the same problem using Litchi app , because of .400 firmware in the dji go app, this is my point, although you may not have had problems in the past, the area from looking at your video is a recipe for WiFi interference among much other interference.

I’m not saying in your videos you don’t have problems because it’s quite obvious, and only way may be to see if area free of interference would change anything.

There should not be the same problem using Litchi app , because of .400 firmware in the dji go app, this is my point,

Why would Litichi app and GO-4 app both showing same problem, eliminate possibility of Bug(s) in .400 firmware?

2018-5-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-5-30 15:26
There should not be the same problem using Litchi app , because of .400 firmware in the dji go app, this is my point,

What bugs   take another look at the videos, look closely at the area being flown in and tell me that WiFi will not be interfered with , and the fact that TZero believes it’s the same with both Litchi and dji go4 , also shows this could well be interference.
2018-5-30
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-30 15:32
What bugs   take another look at the videos, look closely at the area being flown in and tell me that WiFi will not be interfered with , and the fact that TZero believes it’s the same with both Litchi and dji go4 , also shows this could well be interference.

Lets try this again...

hallmark007 - There should not be the same problem using Litchi app , because of .400 firmware in the dji go app, this is my point,
me - Why would Litichi app and GO-4 app both showing same problem, eliminate possibility of Bug(s) in .400 firmware?

From what you wrote, it reads as if you are saying .400 firmware update was applied to DJI GO App.  And because same live view video problem occurred with Litchi App, there is no possibility of a Bug in .400 firmware.

Which is why I am asking - How did you come to conclusion that because  Litichi app and GO-4 app both show same live view video problem, that it eliminates  possibility of a Bug in .400 firmware?

2018-5-30
Use props
TZero
lvl.4
Brazil

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-5-30 16:01
Lets try this again...

hallmark007 - There should not be the same problem using Litchi app , because of .400 firmware in the dji go app, this is my point,

I apologize to you but I really do not understand your questions.
I'll try to summarize.
I have installed DJI GO and LITCHI on the same phone (iphone 7 Plus) since I bought my Mavic Air.
Even updating both programs periodically had no problems with the live view.
I upgraded from firmware 200 to 300.
No problem in live view, both DJI and LITCH. (incidentally, no other problem also - drift, loss of signal - etc)
As soon as I updated the firmware for the 400, I already felt difference in the live view even flying in the same places and not very distant. Both programs (DJI and Litchi) have a very bad live view. I understand the culprit can only be the firmware.
If you're curious to see the problem better and what DJI Thor (administrator) has been responding to, take a look at the original post

Video lag

Regards
2018-5-30
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

TZero Posted at 2018-5-30 16:32
I apologize to you but I really do not understand your questions.
I'll try to summarize.
I have installed DJI GO and LITCHI on the same phone (iphone 7 Plus) since I bought my Mavic Air.

No need to apologize.
The questions are to hallmark007.
2018-5-30
Use props
HPS
lvl.4
Flight distance : 457638 ft
Hong Kong

My Mavic Air also experienced drift and sudden sharp turn (about 15 degree) after take off. No such issue before upgrade to latest firmware...
2018-5-30
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

HPS Posted at 2018-5-30 18:50
My Mavic Air also experienced drift and sudden sharp turn (about 15 degree) after take off. No such issue before upgrade to latest firmware...

Two people have reported their Mavic Air problems going away by installing latest version of Assistant-2 (1.2.4).
Followed by refreshing / reloading Mavic Air firmware upgrade .400 using latest version of Assistant-2.
Then doing calibrations on Mavic Air.

See these posts:
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 703&fromuid=1516520
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 894&fromuid=1516520
2018-5-30
Use props
Brantel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 294997 ft
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-5-30 19:16
Two people have reported their Mavic Air problems going away by installing latest version of Assistant-2 (1.2.4).
Followed by refreshing / reloading Mavic Air firmware upgrade .400 using latest version of Assistant-2.
Then doing calibrations on Mavic Air.

Sure wish that would work on mine.  Did that, did not work.
2018-5-31
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Brantel Posted at 2018-5-31 09:13
Sure wish that would work on mine.  Did that, did not work.

Sorry.  There is a lot of possibilities at this point.
DJI, the company, has not responded with what needs to be done to resolve the various problems surrounding Firmware update .400 for Mavic Air.
2018-5-31
Use props
Brantel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 294997 ft
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-5-31 10:01
Sorry.  There is a lot of possibilities at this point.
DJI, the company, has not responded with what needs to be done to resolve the various problems surrounding Firmware update .400 for Mavic Air.

One of the USA based DJI support managers has told me that they know about it, can reproduce it and they think it is mostly a firmware problem.  He claims a new rev is due out soon but obviously can't commit to a date.
2018-5-31
Use props
dv8ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 360322 ft
  • >>>
United States

Brantel Posted at 2018-5-31 12:11
One of the USA based DJI support managers has told me that they know about it, can reproduce it and they think it is mostly a firmware problem.  He claims a new rev is due out soon but obviously can't commit to a date.

That's great news!
2018-5-31
Use props
djiuser_rCof2LzJ6Qxt
lvl.3
Flight distance : 196263 ft
Canada

Same thing here with my MA. 15 degree yaw to the left and a slow yaw to the left when flying straight away....!
2018-6-1
Use props
Scoobywrx05
lvl.2
Flight distance : 917844 ft
United States

HEY DJI!!!! ANY UPDATE YET????? WE ARE ALL WAITING!!!
2018-6-4
Use props
AirMancer
lvl.1
Turkey

Exactly. A lot of people have been waiting to refly their Mavic Air... With 0400, it is like a poor toy drone.
2018-6-15
Use props
Vilk
lvl.1
Flight distance : 189022 ft
Poland

Hi, I'm new here and unfortunately I have this problem too, yaw left or right, starts from 0400 fw, hope they fast release new firmware!
2018-6-20
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Vilk Posted at 2018-6-20 05:50
Hi, I'm new here and unfortunately I have this problem too, yaw left or right, starts from 0400 fw, hope they fast release new firmware!

You can try...
Re-upgrading Mavic Air's Firmware to .0400.
If still have Yaw problems.
Factory reset, and Re-re-upgrade Mavic Air's Firmware to .0400.

Sounds ridiculous, but it does appear to have helped some people with diverse and flaky problems brought about by .0400 FW.

Best of Luck!  
2018-6-20
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Would recommend those having any problem(s) after upgrading to .0400 FW to Open a Support Ticket with problem(s).
2018-6-20
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

As Hedge said try that.  It's best to try it using the DJI Assistant.  Also reflash your controller.

It's a lot, but it has seemed to help people.  (myself included)
2018-6-20
Use props
EdisonW1979
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1535679 ft
Canada

Sadly,

I took my MA out for a flight yesterday, and less than 2m into the takeoff procedure, it (almost violently) yawed to the left I'd say a good 20-25 degrees, and once reaching precision takeoff altitude of 6m, started yawing slowly to the left again, and shaking.

So I brought it back down, didn't power off the entire drone, just the motors, let it sit for about a minute, then took it back up to see what would happen.

This time it took off flawlessly, so I took it out in a straight line over an empty meadow at a distance up to 1000m and an altitude of between 60-90m. Remember, this was a straight line VLOS away from me and then back. The drone was continuously rolling to the right, forcing me to keep my finger on the control stick to keep it going straight.

Now keep in mind, this MA I've re-flashed via DJI Assistant 2 1.2.4 and re-calibrated everything on it TWICE now, and re-calibrated the RC inputs as well. The re-flashing process may help some, as it did for me for a while, but it seems in many cases, the issues just come back, even with brand-new MA's on 0400.

Glad the re-flashing method has worked for some, but please do not take this as the permanent fix and put your faith into the MA afterwards. Keep your guard up and fly with caution (which should always be the case), and the moment you see anything wonky happening, I would restrict the drone to short-range VLOS from that point on. No sense in taking a risk of losing your bird, or worse, having it crash into something, or someone.

DJI, where's 0500 already, and an official statement acknowledging the issues with 0400? This is now 2 months into this debacle, what a joke!!!
2018-7-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

“1000m and an altitude of between 60-90m. Remember, this was a straight line VLOS away from me and then back”

It seems more than a little bit incredulous that anyone can fly a 6/7 inch square drone a 1000 metres in vision line of sight at 90 metres altitude.

How ever this is on brantel’s thread, and he is a keen reader of flight logs, the log would surely show aircraft taking off and sudden turn to the left 25 degrees, it would also show continuous stick movements to keep aircraft straight, it seems false warnings or transmission, were not an issue on this flight, so that’s one positive. I have seen Yaw issue , but not seen it as bad as poster said.
So in the interest of all those having problems with these issues, this would be a perfect case to study.
I think the fact that poster is warning others to limited flying, it would help to show what is exactly happening.
2018-7-9
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-7-8 17:32
Sadly,

I took my MA out for a flight yesterday, and less than 2m into the takeoff procedure, it (almost violently) yawed to the left I'd say a good 20-25 degrees, and once reaching precision takeoff altitude of 6m, started yawing slowly to the left again, and shaking.

It is very strange how it works then becomes faulty - that happens to me. Sometimes the drone is perfect then on other occasions it just yaws on take off and doesn't fly straight. Put a fresh battery in then it's all fine. It's not good enough. We need that FW update to restore my faith in this product, if nothing else.
2018-7-9
Use props
jerrytko1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 280722 ft
United Kingdom

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-6-20 08:42
You can try...
Re-upgrading Mavic Air's Firmware to .0400.
If still have Yaw problems.

Same with me did factory reset. then reflashed .0400 and did all calibrations and went for flight. all was good but will see in next few flights. because before problems have started after few flights. will see
2018-7-9
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Great Avatar Image!
2018-7-9
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
Flight distance : 689334 ft
South Africa

Before 0.400, a flawless droning experience, after 0.400, a very expensive toy that is not even worth the plastic of the propellers.................
Drone already a week at DJI, and still no news on what they think, or know could or is wrong..............
Absolutely poor service and support.
2018-7-9
Use props
WayneMHK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 694728 ft
  • >>>
United States

Charissa Posted at 2018-7-9 05:32
Before 0.400, a flawless droning experience, after 0.400, a very expensive toy that is not even worth the plastic of the propellers.................
Drone already a week at DJI, and still no news on what they think, or know could or is wrong..............
Absolutely poor service and support.

I had the same experience and ended up buying another one to test (which flies w/o issue on .0400).  So I finally sent my other one in, and within 2 days of DJI receiving it was notified that they were replacing the core board (under warranty).  Makes me wonder if they have a group of aircraft with faulty boards that are affected by the latest update and are just waiting for all of them to be sent in.  We'll see what happens when I get it back on Wed.  My support experience was pretty good once I bit the bullet and sent the darn thing in.
2018-7-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

WayneMHK Posted at 2018-7-9 06:34
I had the same experience and ended up buying another one to test (which flies w/o issue on .0400).  So I finally sent my other one in, and within 2 days of DJI receiving it was notified that they were replacing the core board (under warranty).  Makes me wonder if they have a group of aircraft with faulty boards that are affected by the latest update and are just waiting for all of them to be sent in.  We'll see what happens when I get it back on Wed.  My support experience was pretty good once I bit the bullet and sent the darn thing in.

Good job WayneMHK, I thought that sending in would be the quickest way to get sorted.
2018-7-9
Use props
WayneMHK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 694728 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-7-9 08:47
Good job WayneMHK, I thought that sending in would be the quickest way to get sorted.

Seriously, I hope you never have a similar situation happen to you because if it does, you will be hounded relentlessly.
2018-7-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

WayneMHK Posted at 2018-7-9 09:35
Seriously, I hope you never have a similar situation happen to you because if it does, you will be hounded relentlessly.

Believe me Wayne I have had many problems with FW updates, I have also had to return a drone the same as you, but I tend to take the approach of being progressive when problems arise.
2018-7-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

The downvote ladies are here again...
2018-7-9
Use props
EdisonW1979
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1535679 ft
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-7-9 11:31
The downvote ladies are here again...

They're trying to give you a hint, but you're too dense to get it obviously...
2018-7-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-7-9 11:34
They're trying to give you a hint, but you're too dense to get it obviously...

Show us your log,
2018-7-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules