Noise reduction
1680 13 2018-5-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sfox18
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1483 ft
United Kingdom

Has anyone heard when the MA may get new props to reduce noise.
It's such a shame that when filming beautiful peaceful areas there is the constant swarm shattering the silence
2018-5-11
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Sorry that I have no idea if mavic air has low-noise-quick-release-props. If we have this plan, we will inform users.
2018-5-11
Use props
sfox18
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Thank you. However, the sooner the better
2018-5-11
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Lots of input here :   https://forum.dji.com/thread-145019-1-1.html
2018-5-11
Use props
Kevjones1959
lvl.4
Flight distance : 61932 ft

South Africa

Changing the propellers unfortunately is not going make mush difference in noise reduction as it is a combination of the electronics and the propellers that are contributing. There is not for example a huge difference in actual DB's with the Mavic Pro Plat, however the frequency, is much more tolerable giving the impression that it is much quieter.
2018-5-11
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

Kevjones1959 Posted at 2018-5-11 02:52
Changing the propellers unfortunately is not going make mush difference in noise reduction as it is a combination of the electronics and the propellers that are contributing. There is not for example a huge difference in actual DB's with the Mavic Pro Plat, however the frequency, is much more tolerable giving the impression that it is much quieter.

I agree that the decibel count won't change much, but people don't walk around with decibel meters, they only judge by what they hear.  
As you said it's the frequency.  A wise man once told me that a persons perception is their reality.
so if they think something is loud, then it's loud.  explaining to them that  "no, it's not loud, it's just the frequency" just makes me look like a butthole.  and then, they are annoyed with the drone and the pilot.

But the actual problem of frequency seems like a much easier problem to resolve than the actual volume.  I really hope that DJI is able to release some props that make the tone/volume/whatever more tolerable.

Having said that, I have not been questioned about the noise.  Mainly because I really put a lot of effort into staying away from people, unless they specifically ask me to bring it near.
2018-5-11
Use props
sfox18
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Thank you Kevjones. I thought that that would be the case
Would it be possible to have some form of tubular baffles to absorb some of the noise without affecting the performance too much
2018-5-11
Use props
Kevjones1959
lvl.4

South Africa

sfox18 Posted at 2018-5-11 05:30
Thank you Kevjones. I thought that that would be the case
Would it be possible to have some form of tubular baffles to absorb some of the noise without affecting the performance too much

Shew... never thought of that. I don't rightly know.
2018-5-11
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

Kevjones1959 Posted at 2018-5-11 05:36
Shew... never thought of that. I don't rightly know.

Kev, where are you from?  "I don't rightly know" is something I only hear in the southern parts of the US.
2018-5-11
Use props
Ridg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 232306 ft
United Kingdom

I generally fly above 50m (from take off) at which point the noise isn't really an issue, a quieter device would be nice but it's a side effect of the prop size and then the RPM
2018-5-11
Use props
chiplifter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 745180 ft
Netherlands

It would be nice if active noise cancelling techniques (like with headphones) could be implemented in the drone. Ie. Listenbg to the produced noise and send it out through a speaker in reversed phase. Maybe it is just scifi, but 20 years ago we would only dream about drones for filmmaking.
2018-5-11
Use props
Nikolay S Donev
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1290892 ft
Bulgaria

Am I the only one to love the sound of drones? I wish DJI comes up with V8 sound like version xaxa
2018-5-11
Use props
Kevjones1959
lvl.4

South Africa

3-D Posted at 2018-5-11 06:22
Kev, where are you from?  "I don't rightly know" is something I only hear in the southern parts of the US.

From South Africa
2018-5-11
Use props
sfox18
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Chiplifter  that would be a good idea. There was a company in the U.K. Working on something called contra noise. That they were trying to generate an inverted wave form to nullify noise. It only worked for repetitive noise as it had to anticipate what noise was coming next. I don't think that they perfected it.
2018-5-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules