Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI Inspire - gone crazy
2473 33 2015-5-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Blademan
lvl.1

Russia

Hi

Yesterday my Inspire was crazy, I propose to view a video incident.
Firmware 1.2.1.03
App 1.1.1

2015-5-11
Use props
rfrye
lvl.4
Flight distance : 309606 ft
United States

Wow! Blademan!!

Boy! I'm glad you stuck with it.
(didn't look like your lady was all that concerned-she has great confidence in you)

What do you figure caused this. IMU calibration off - or what?
2015-5-11
Use props
sbarryjackson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18931532 ft
  • >>>
United States

Like a boss!! Great job dude.
2015-5-11
Use props
Blademan
lvl.1

Russia

rfrye Posted at 2015-5-12 02:08
Wow! Blademan!!

Boy! I'm glad you stuck with it.

DJI Pilot showed no errors.
I think it happened because of the failure of the compass.
In this case Inspire should switch to ATTI, but for some reason it did not happen.
Now I understand that it was necessary to turn on the switch and ATTI fly in this mode. But at the time I was taken aback and tried to remember the area where it falls, that would go to look for him.
2015-5-11
Use props
bostonlines
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1045558 ft
United States

So are you saying you forgot to switch to ATTI mode once it started acting squirly on you?
2015-5-11
Use props
DJeff1
lvl.2

United States

My question is, why are you watching your monitor when landing and not looking at your bird????
2015-5-11
Use props
Blademan
lvl.1

Russia

DJeff1 Posted at 2015-5-12 03:02
My question is, why are you watching your monitor when landing and not looking at your bird????

I fly with glasses Sony HMZ-T3
2015-5-11
Use props
Blademan
lvl.1

Russia

bostonlines@gma Posted at 2015-5-12 02:39
So are you saying you forgot to switch to ATTI mode once it started acting squirly on you?

I concluded today that to restore control over Inspire needed to switch to flight mode ATTI
2015-5-11
Use props
bostonlines
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1045558 ft
United States

Blademan Posted at 2015-5-12 03:18
I concluded today that to restore control over Inspire needed to switch to flight mode ATTI

Yes...switching over to ATTI gives you more control.  For all of you fellow pilots, it's kind of like auto-pilot in the aircraft.  Clicking off auto-pilot is one of the first things you do in a flight control emergency.  Whenever I'm flying the Inspire, I often practice clicking off P-GPS into ATTI just in case.
2015-5-11
Use props
mani
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2233904 ft
  • >>>
Romania

Did you calibrate / take off near the car ? I noticed your case on the ground, near landing zone. If so, you should avoid that in the future, it happened to me too, almost entered the Ukrainean airspace, as I was flying real close to the border on the north-east part of Romania. I switched to Atti, regained control and it was happy end. Since than, no more take offs near my car, seems that was the problem.
2015-5-11
Use props
DJeff1
lvl.2

United States

Second question, instead of risking the possibility of suffering a catastrophic loss of your Inspire, by getting lucky and making it back. Why not safely land the bird as soon as recieving the critical low battery warning?
2015-5-11
Use props
JKT
lvl.4

United States

this happens to me and I switched from various modes and it didn't let me! my bird was flying crazy and super fast! it was a battle of almost 3 min. DJI SAID THAT My flight log would not help them to determine anything so I had to sent my bird to them. plus I did a hard landing and the cover that protects the landing gear suspension broke. was not a big deal but I want to use it for videos jobs and I can't afford for it to go crazy if I where to fly it in downtown and have some type of accident and see some one get hurt.
2015-5-11
Use props
blackbox
lvl.3

Switzerland

What firmware version was it?
2015-5-11
Use props
JKT
lvl.4

United States

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=14137 the video is in this link!
2015-5-11
Use props
Blademan
lvl.1

Russia

DJeff1 Posted at 2015-5-12 03:50
Second question, instead of risking the possibility of suffering a catastrophic loss of your Inspire ...

the earth's surface was very uneven, 100% would be a minimum of damage to the blades. I just wanted to bring the bird closer, I could always manage to put it on the ground if felt not have time to fly.
2015-5-11
Use props
sbarryjackson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18931532 ft
  • >>>
United States

Something is not right with the home point that is for sure. I was thinking maybe it was set while in flight, but watching you not really moving the sticks a whole bunch shot that in the foot. That thing was going every direction and not really in a straight line to a home point.
That is crazy man and glad it ended well.
2015-5-11
Use props
Blademan
lvl.1

Russia

blackbox Posted at 2015-5-12 04:02
What firmware version was it?

Firmware 1.2.1.03
2015-5-11
Use props
Blademan
lvl.1

Russia

JKT Posted at 2015-5-12 04:02
this happens to me and I switched from various modes and it didn't let me! my bird was flying crazy  ...

You tried to switch to ATTI mode?

to enable this feature in advanced settings must be enabled multiple flight mode.
IMG_0464.PNG
2015-5-11
Use props
markjacobs.talk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

Definately compass related. Before taking off and going through your pre flight checklist, what were your mod values?
2015-5-11
Use props
Blademan
lvl.1

Russia

markjacobs.talk Posted at 2015-5-12 06:03
Definately compass related. Before taking off and going through your pre flight checklist, what were ...

you mod values? - Unfortunately I do not understand it.
I made a standard pre-flight check, including the compass calibration.
2015-5-11
Use props
JKT
lvl.4

United States

This Was my second flight after the last update. But I cant understand why it just went crazy it had a mind of its own. If you see the the flight log you can see the bird speeding up at full throttle. I was not able to have full control it seem more of a software issue of something to do with the control only way i wa abl to bring it back wwas flyign backwards.  
2015-5-11
Use props
vonbaron1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42014 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Good job in bring it back home but it sure makes you wonder what was going on and also, is it going to happen again.
2015-5-11
Use props
Flight 1
lvl.2

Australia

Thanks for showing this. since the update I have not been able to set a home point. With all the problems posted since the update i think i'll stay grounded till it's sorted.
2015-5-11
Use props
Tully808
lvl.1

United States

This is very disturbing.
Has DJI formally responded to you?
Have you grounded the AC?
Or had a repeat?
How confident are you that entering A Mode allowed you to regain control?

Cheers
2015-5-12
Use props
peterconquest3
lvl.2

United States

In watching the video, I noticed a lot of electrical wires on the landscape, perhaps hi-tension, that were between you and the bird when it went crazy. Once you had cleared those wires the bird returned to normal. Coincidence?

On a side note, at times the gimbal was angled down (banked) to one side. Kinda like a fixed wing aircraft gives you during a turn. It's a nice effect that would be pretty cool to reproduce under more controlled circumstances.
2015-5-12
Use props
aknauer
lvl.1
Flight distance : 793041 ft
New Zealand

bostonlines@gma Posted at 2015-5-12 03:41
Yes...switching over to ATTI gives you more control.  For all of you fellow pilots, it's kind of li ...

Not long ago ATTI mode was the standard mode on most copters. That's how you learned to fly and control. And if you were really brave, you flew manual (no leveling etc.) GPS /Compass augmented modes are a luxury. However a luxury we all paid for - so it should be reliable.
2015-5-12
Use props
Kratos
New

Lebanon

On 26/5/2015, I calibrated my inspire 1 than made sure there was a GPS single and flew it with the first battery without any problems. Changed the battery and flew again for couple of minutes and landed it without any issues. I always place the inspire in front of me facing ahead as instructed by DJI. As soon as I took off the inspire went full speed backward as it was charging on me, I ducked so it missed me by an inch. I directed it up to avoid trees and others obstacle and the inspire had a mind of its own. It started flying away and making crazy turns, I tried to control but I had a little response. I used the RTH but no response also. I was flying it in a valley, it kept on going until it reached the other side of the valley and crashed. I had to drive more than 10 km around the valley to reach to it. I found it crashed, the battery was out and broken, the camera and gimbal broken and found 10 m away, the carbon arms and props broken. I am devastated, I have invested a lot in my inspire, I have a second remote and 3 extra batteries. I use it for my work as Aerial photographer. I have a lot of bookings ahead, this week I lost 2 events shooting. All I can say thanks God the inspire didn’t lose control when I had an event shooting with a lot of people. This could have been a disaster. Please help me,vwhat to do so DJI explains what happen and how DJI will reimburse me.
2015-5-29
Use props
3dflight
lvl.2

United States

One thing seems common with a lot of these reports.  The bird flies ok for a while.  You would think if it were something like compass cal etc. that it would be evident almost immediately, but a lot of these (inverted flight too) the bird seems to be all good to go and flies around and then all of the sudden goes nuts.  That's a tough nut to crack.  People seem to be doing everything right and then mid flight the bird get's a mind of it's own.  It must be compass, but what is causing it?
2015-5-29
Use props
3talbs
lvl.1

United States

3dflight Posted at 2015-5-29 20:16
One thing seems common with a lot of these reports.  The bird flies ok for a while.  You would think ...

Yesterday my Inspire went crazy as I came in to land and i battled it's erratic behavior for several minutes and against all odds, landed it in one piece. Never been so relieved! It was scary as hell and so lucky nobody injured. Again a case of normal behavior the 1st 2/3 of the 11 min flight. Then all of a sudden it required my full immediate  attention not to lose it.  I tried RTH controller button, nothing. Tried switching to A mode on RC, no difference (later learned I needed to also have the app set to Multiple Modes. Not sure why, maybe like disabling a lock on P)
It was apparent there was no way I would be able to land in the 20 ft clearing from which I took off, so I ran down the driveway, thru a gate and out onto a more open gravel road where I managed to land on the edge.  
I had calibrated about 15-20 ft away from a car, closer than I had in the past but it seemed to take it. Had 11 satellites and Safe To Fly GPS before takeoff.
While i had thought about doing an IMU calibration recently, it had been flying so beautifully the last few weeks, I didn't bother.  
This morning I sent my flight data to DJI and awaiting their interpretation and hopefully a reason.
A bit unsettling as I was just beginning to get my confidence back in this aircraft.
2015-7-27
Use props
3talbs
lvl.1

United States

Blademan Posted at 2015-5-12 05:49
You tried to switch to ATTI mode?

to enable this feature in advanced settings must be enabled mult ...

Do you know if there's any reason app shouldn't always be set to multiple? Does single  act as a lock on RC switch in case accidentally gets bumped from P?
2015-7-29
Use props
Prototype
New

United States

Blademan,
Do you think it might have anything to do with your date format? Assuming you were flying on May 10th and not October 5th -2015? Computers get real glitchy with two conflicting dates!
2015-8-2
Use props
Netwarrior
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1507172 ft
United States

Just curious.  If flight limits are set and a fly-a-way occurs, will the Inspire 1 stop at the limit or will it ignore the flight distance limits?
2015-8-2
Use props
FictitiousPerso
lvl.4
Flight distance : 303356 ft
Austria

Fly away =. Mind of its own
2015-8-2
Use props
SimplePanda
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1719062 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Blademan Posted at 2015-5-12 02:27
DJI Pilot showed no errors.
I think it happened because of the failure of the compass.
In this cas ...

Compass is still used in ATTI mode when present; it's just positional input that gets ignored.

Only way to fly ATTI sans compass is to actually have no compass attached (a la the NAZA Lite, etc).
2015-8-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules