The tragic thing happened!
2446 19 2014-10-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
antoine
lvl.1
Canada

My secound flight with my PV2. I checked for the green signal for GPS connection and I start to flight! I flight for about 3 minutes and my PV2 start to go away realy fast without any touch on the stick. I lost control and it never return back. I tried to localised it and the maps get me to my house! The flight was about 2 miles from my home. Do you think that the PV2 went to my house or around, because I cannot find it anywere around. When I check for the WIFI Phantom on My phone, he deteck it from my house, when the WIFI buster is on. Did the PV2 is around my house and have enought battery to emit a signal? This happened 2 hours ago!
2014-10-31
Use props
jamaalperryman
lvl.2
Flight distance : 765354 ft
  • >>>
United States

check the roof
2014-10-31
Use props
antoine
lvl.1
Canada

Do you really think that the PV2 get back to my house ? I already checked on the roof!
2014-10-31
Use props
antoine
lvl.1
Canada

If I get the Wifi signal, is it because the PV2 is around or it is because my phone see the WIFI booster ? Can Someone help?
2014-10-31
Use props
palak.desai
lvl.1

United States

i think your phantom may be around if you are connecting, but im not sure....keep searching for it
ALSO, was it fast blinking or slow blinking green lights? did you check your phone for the # of satellites?
2014-11-1
Use props
talk2t_c
lvl.4

France

It may have returned to the last 'home point' from your previous flight.  Maybe somebody found it and has it and that's why the signal is still live - ask around.  They will not know how to switch it off.  Can you see anything from the camera?
2014-11-1
Use props
away-point
lvl.3

United States

Oh no!  

Good luck!!!!
2014-11-1
Use props
antoine
lvl.1
Canada

Thank you all,
I checked every were around, no drone... I am not sure that the green light were flashing fast or slow. I did not check for the # of satellites. I went to my last flight Home point, no drone. I had nothing from the camera since I lost control.

18 minutes of fun for more that 1100$... I am still waiting for the case I ordered 200$ but no more drone to put in!
2014-11-1
Use props
robbin.bergqvis
lvl.2
Flight distance : 59839 ft

Denmark

Thats harsh
2014-11-1
Use props
hd_ultra
lvl.3

United States

Bad deal, possible rookie mistake. Hate to hear it. ALWAYS MAKE sure you have GPS lock before taking off.
2014-11-1
Use props
antoine
lvl.1
Canada

Yes, it is a rookie mistake! I admit!

I will learn the lesson. My next step is to bye another one. Hope they can make a deal, cause I dont need the command, extra batteries, charger and other things...
2014-11-1
Use props
antoine
lvl.1
Canada

The next time I will put a sticker with my name and phone number on it! If you found this drone phone me, I offer a reward!
2014-11-1
Use props
b.w.j
lvl.4

Denmark

I Wonder, have DJI also supplied Virgin with flightcontrollers, as well.  
2014-11-1
Use props
rod
lvl.4

New Zealand

I guess this was meant to be funny but a man died in that event. Maybe it's me but I find that sort of humour a bit inappropriate really.
2014-11-1
Use props
troogyman
New

United States

It is a rookie mistake to take off without a home lock, but the fact that this can happen in the mode the Phantom is shipped in is also a design failure, IMO.

The quad should refuse to enage the motors (and instead just play a loud noise using the the same sound unit used on battery power up) until home is locked with at least 6 satellites when in GPS assist mode and not in NAZA mode.

This introduces no penalty for experts (they can switch to NAZA mode to avoid this if they really want to live on the edge and fly in a GPS mode without home locked first) but would result in a lot less first-time-user fly aways.  And it wouldn't be hard to write, the CPU obviously knows when satellites are locked (because it switches red->green on the LEDs).

I don't know if their software isn't designed this way already because they are dumb or because they are evil.  When you consider the invalid battery bug from a couple of firmware versions ago, I suspect it is because they are both dumb and evil.

2014-11-1
Use props
antoine
lvl.1
Canada

Rod, thank you very much for your comment, it is really appreciate!

Troogyman, you are right, the Phantom should alert with an alarm the rookie user that the GPS is not functional and let you give the time to get the decision wether you want to lift up or not!

I am from Quebec and I speak french (my english is not very good). The user manual is translated in French but there are a lot of mistakes and a lot of english terms that we cannot understand unless we get back all the time in the manual. My mistake was that I was to exited to fly that I did not read the manual at least 5 times!

I am not discouraged and I will buy another one and go slowly to understand all the fonctions before flying again (I really like that "toy"). I will maybe ask this forum eventually for tips ! You guys (or girls) are so helpful!

Thank you all!
2014-11-1
Use props
rod
lvl.4

New Zealand

Hey Antoine, don't apologise for your English, it is much better than the french most of us can speak! and yes, this is a good place to get to know the characteristics of the Phantom vision 2 +.  You will fly again I,m sure!
Cheers!
Rod
2014-11-1
Use props
AndreMajor
New

United States

antoine@broquet Posted at 2014-11-2 10:03
Rod, thank you very much for your comment, it is really appreciate!

Troogyman, you are right, the P ...

Sorry to hear about your predicament Antoine, almost happened to me too when first got my PV2+ in July. It took off from me as I had only locked-in GPS in the first sequence of calibrating (flat rotation, not the head-down rotation) and didn't realize it mattered. Thank goodness I remembered reading that if it ever got out of control, to yank the left joy-stick up (forward) to raise it high so I could see it above the forest around me. I managed to fly it back nearby but given the lack of control without GPS, I purposely ditched-it in a tree before it would escape again. Where are you in Quebec? If you're in Gatineau area, i'm nearby and would be happy to help you get up to speed. I've logged over 220 flights so far. I've njoyed it so much it over the past 4 months, I wouldn't hesitate buying another one if I lost my first one. It's amazing what this reliable puppy can do.
2014-11-1
Use props
AndreMajor
New

United States

Check-out a video of my hometown, amazing what this P2V+ can do: http://youtu.be/b1rQhbpjAb4
2014-11-1
Use props
antoine
lvl.1
Canada

Dear André,

Thank you for your support and your offer to help me ! But I live in St-Constant on the south shore of Montreal, it is a bit to far! But I keep in mind your offer, if I pass by Gatineau.

I saw your film of the Canal Rideau, wonderful images! I saw also your film of the covered bridges, that is great. There are so many possibilities... I have a house in Costa Rica were I go 2 months in the winter. There are so beautiful landscapes that I want to film with the Phantom... There is a tree at 200 feet from my house were about 15 Toucans come everyday and I want to try to film them. I just hope they won't try to attack the drone!
2014-11-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules