Testing of magnetic interference with large metal vehcile
4371 57 2018-5-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

hallmark007 - I’m sure OP is not offering his test as a means to judge how far you should be from metal structures as he said himself that test is not scientific, it is always better to take off a minimum of 10 metres from metal structures and if this advice is adhered to then the chances of magnetic interference occurring will be greatly reduced.

I am going with you are confused between flying with calibrated compass vs. suggestions for when calibrating a compass.  

2018-5-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-5-13 12:37
hallmark007 - I’m sure OP is not offering his test as a means to judge how far you should be from metal structures as he said himself that test is not scientific, it is always better to take off a minimum of 10 metres from metal structures and if this advice is adhered to then the chances of magnetic interference occurring will be greatly reduced.

I have never heard such tripe , you really have no idea, I have tried many times to explain but it’s just not getting through, I have put up video below 3 times, then you arrive with the same explanation only one that is dated from P2 almost 4 years ago, I didn’t think you watched the video because you are still not aware of how things work. So here it is again.
One thing I did notice about your video gimbal guard on P2 something that has caused many more crashes than compass, you should talk to Ardvark about this he is somewhat an expert on the matter.

2018-5-13
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-13 13:08
I have never heard such tripe , you really have no idea, I have tried many times to explain but it’s just not getting through, I have put up video below 3 times, then you arrive with the same explanation only one that is dated from P2 almost 4 years ago, I didn’t think you watched the video because you are still not aware of how things work. So here it is again.
One thing I did notice about your video gimbal guard on P2 something that has caused many more crashes than compass, you should talk to Ardvark about this he is somewhat an expert on the matter.

One thing I did notice about your video gimbal guard on P2 something that has caused many more crashes than compass,

Try somebody else, I don't have a P2.
2018-5-13
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-13 13:08

hallmark007 - I’m sure OP is not offering his test as a means to judge how far you should be from metal structures as he said himself that test is not scientific, it is always better to take off a minimum of 10 metres from metal structures.

Okay, got it.   Your comment about ''minimum of 10 metres from metal structures'' is strictly your well intended opinion, but baseless advice.
2018-5-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-5-13 15:46
hallmark007 - I’m sure OP is not offering his test as a means to judge how far you should be from metal structures as he said himself that test is not scientific, it is always better to take off a minimum of 10 metres from metal structures.

Okay, got it.   Your comment about ''minimum of 10 metres from metal structures'' is strictly your well intended opinion, but baseless advice.

Safe advice, this hobby is all about being safe. IAnd you still haven’t shown where we see all this new information/telemetry in any other drone,

You will now become the pioneer for useless information, and if crashes arising out of compass problems without any pilot error so common maybe you can point some cases to us around here that don’t involve some pilot error, or maybe there aren’t that many because-forum members take the time to read and understand the manual...
2018-5-13
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-5-12 07:07
I put it down to avoiding reinforced concrete, power lines and mass metal.

As you should.  As I try too.  And everybody should try too.

HedgeTrimmer - I know where there is 12" (rough guess) steel pipe buried several feet deep to not being buried at all.  Be interesting, given its long legth, to see at what distances it effects compasses.

Handheld GPS with digital compass:
15 degrees deviation starting at 07" from top of steel pipe (pipe partially buried)

iPhone compass
15 degrees deviation starting at 05" from top of steel pipe (pipe partially buried)

Drone Magnetic Interference
Green - Red approximately 05.5" from top of steel pipe (pipe partially buried)

New info Earth's normal magnetic field 31.86 µT at 0-deg Lat. / 0-deg Lon.
Telesa Recorder App on iPhone
062 µT - Prarie grass field
075 µT - at 05" from top of steel pipe
100 µT - iPhone touching top of steel pipe

Compass Error Red

Compass Error Red

Steel Pipe Good to Go Green

Steel Pipe Good to Go Green
2018-5-13
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-13 15:58
Safe advice, this hobby is all about being safe. IAnd you still haven’t shown where we see all this new information/telemetry in any other drone,

You will now become the pioneer for useless information, and if crashes arising out of compass problems without any pilot error so common maybe you can point some cases to us around here that don’t involve some pilot error, or maybe there aren’t that many because-forum members take the time to read and understand the manual...

Still trying to Derail and Side Track from being called out --- again.

Let us all know when you have something factual to contribute that you can back up.
2018-5-13
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

This is just for you hallmark007.

Mavic Pro P sitting by steel pipe right before take off and hover.

Mavic Pro P Hovering above steel pipe.

No Fly-off, No TBE, and No compass errors.

2018-5-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-5-13 16:35
This is just for you hallmark007.

Mavic Pro P sitting by steel pipe right before take off and hover.

OMG please put that away it’s the ugliest thing I’ve ever seen dji designers will be turning in their graves, I’m not sure if a 6 month old child  sh#t all over it, or somebody puked their ring up on it,

You will never have any problem with manned aircraft with that thing that can be spotted from the moon, I think the fact that you posted that I cannot take anything you say seriously.

Kermit the frog with 118 deg temperature spare any other members having to look at it, take it down.
2018-5-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-5-13 16:15
HedgeTrimmer - I know where there is 12" (rough guess) steel pipe buried several feet deep to not being buried at all.  Be interesting, given its long legth, to see at what distances it effects compasses.

I think the easiest way to sort this is, will people take your daft advice or will the be serious and take best advice. Your just making yourself look like a clown
2018-5-13
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-13 16:57
OMG please put that away it’s the ugliest thing I’ve ever seen dji designers will be turning in their graves, I’m not sure if a 6 month old child  sh#t all over it, or somebody puked their ring up on it,

You will never have any problem with manned aircraft with that thing that can be spotted from the moon, I think the fact that you posted that I cannot take anything you say seriously.

HallMark007 - OMG please put that away it’s the ugliest thing I’ve ever seen dji  designers will be turning in their graves, I’m not sure if a 6 month old  child  sh#t all over it, or somebody puked their ring up on it,

Very interesting - You got nothing about Magnetic Interference demonstrated by compass deviations measurements, by Telesa Recorder App on iPhone showing 0100 µT when touching steel pipe and 075 µT when 05-inches away,by picture showing GO-4 App reporting Magnetic Intereference (Red), then Good to Go (Green) when MPP was moved over by a couple of inches; and MPP was able to both take off and hover without problems despite MPP going from area with Magnetic Interference to area without No Magnetic Intererece.

Perhaps if you bothered to investigate and learn about physics involved with magenetic interference and magnetic fields...

2018-5-13
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-13 17:02
I think the easiest way to sort this is, will people take your daft advice or will the be serious and take best advice. Your just making yourself look like a clown

What happened to all of your - Magnetic Interference at 10-meters, 5-meters, and 2-meters?
2018-5-13
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

it is always better to take off a minimum of 10 metres from metal structures and if this advice is adhered to then the chances of magnetic interference occurring will be greatly reduced.

How about taking off within 0.5-meter of Large Metal Structure?
Building wall causing 15-degrees of Magnetic Interference at 36-inches or 0.91-meter to Handheld GPS's compass.

Picture showing pre-setup and metal end wall of building

14-1/2 inches Magnetic Interference - Red

15-1/2 inches Good to Go - Green

After brief hover and Landing, picture showing height of building

2018-5-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-5-13 21:05
it is always better to take off a minimum of 10 metres from metal structures and if this advice is adhered to then the chances of magnetic interference occurring will be greatly reduced.

How about taking off within 0.5-meter of Large Metal Structure?

I think I have explained all I need to regarding safe practice regarding compass interference and the results from picking up magnetic interference in your drone, I think others have enough savvy to ignore your ridiculous testing and most likely detrimental advice.

We are all still waiting for you to show us other drones that have both information and telemetry that you think dji should include in their drones.

Lastly you need to remove these posts of a very ill looking Kermit the frog, they just make your whole silly argument ridiculous.

There is enough information in the video I posted to give real help to users and the fact that we don’t see them here on this thread shows how little they value this kind of tripe.
2018-5-14
Use props
Bulldog
lvl.4
Flight distance : 816158 ft
United States

You guys are funny, and are missing the point IMO.

Of course metal interference could be  a problem for your drone, but the fact is, it takes a ton of metal to interfere with your drone. Let me just ask a question........ How many drone crashes would instantly be DJI's fault if there was a  way to check if metal interference was or was not the actual problem? There is your answer folks.

I took off from the top of a radio cell tower a couple months ago with zero problems. That should give you guys an idea.

To the OP, try it for your self. A shipping container didn't effect it. A pipe didn't effect the drone. Try off a cell tower, with tons of metal and radio interference. Still flies just fine.
(was helping family inspect Sprint cell sights)
2018-5-14
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Bulldog Posted at 2018-5-14 04:49
You guys are funny, and are missing the point IMO.

Of course metal interference could be  a problem for your drone, but the fact is, it takes a ton of metal to interfere with your drone. Let me just ask a question........ How many drone crashes would instantly be DJI's fault if there was a  way to check if metal interference was or was not the actual problem? There is your answer folks.

and are missing the point IMO.
Of course metal interference could be  a problem for your drone, but the  fact is, it takes a ton of metal to interfere with your drone.

From my opening post:
Test source of steel
The vehicle used for Magnetic Interefernce is primarily made of steel, with a weight of 6.3 tons.
15 degrees deviation starting at 20" from starboard side of vehicle
05?* degrees deviation starting at 48" from starboard side of vehicle.  

Don't believe it's me who is missing the point on Magnetic Interference and distances.  It is someone else who can't bring himself to acknowledge realities of Magnetic Intereference.  Magenetic Interference is to often blamed for other problems, becoming a scapegoat.

From researching issue of magantism and compasses, and known laws of physics involving magnatism - magnetic interference to compasses caused by ferous metals rapidly decreases as distance from source to compass is increased.  Which my previous field testing results with compasses and MPP/CS-Ub/GO-4 demonstrated.

Common sense bares same fruit.  Massive steel hauled ships have compasses, and those compasses work.  For decades cars have had compasses inside, and those compasses work.
We have seen videos of drones being flown by and under metal bridges made of tons of steel.  We have seen videos of drones flying near trains, tons of steel.

Point of this thread was to bring some reality to drones and Magnetic Interefernce.  There has been to many claims and to much good meaning advice, clouding up realty.  

2018-5-14
Use props
Bulldog
lvl.4
Flight distance : 816158 ft
United States

"Point of this thread was to bring some reality to drones and Magnetic Interefernce.  There has been to many claims and to much good meaning advice, clouding up realty. "

I think you did a great job. This thread was needed, and no, it's not you who missed the piont. In fact, the exact opposite......... Now lets all think about how the go to excuse for crashing on take off is taking off next to metal.......... I believe way too often the cause of the crash is blamed on magnetic interference, when it's not.
2018-5-15
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Bulldog Posted at 2018-5-15 05:16
"Point of this thread was to bring some reality to drones and Magnetic Interefernce.  There has been to many claims and to much good meaning advice, clouding up realty. "

I think you did a great job. This thread was needed, and no, it's not you who missed the piont. In fact, the exact opposite......... Now lets all think about how the go to excuse for crashing on take off is taking off next to metal.......... I believe way too often the cause of the crash is blamed on magnetic interference, when it's not.

If you haven't seen this post, you may find it interesting.

Easy pre flight / compass calibration check for Magnetic interfernce
2018-5-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules