ND Filter and Lens cap combo available
3058 17 2015-5-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dataway
lvl.2
Flight distance : 17152 ft
United States

Found this searching around and wondering if anyone has tested it yet...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ND100-/400917213014?rmvSB=true

Seems a bit overpriced to me....

2015-5-11
Use props
PublicRealtor
lvl.2

United States

What does the ND filter do? Is it similar to a polarized lens, which I have in my sunglasses and works beautifully.
2015-5-11
Use props
Dataway
lvl.2
Flight distance : 17152 ft
United States

I am not a professional photographer but from what I have studied..

A Neutral Density filter allows a photographer to control the exposure in an image very easily. The filter stops light reaching the camera sensor, therefore allowing us to leave the camera with a higher aperture for a longer amount of time.
Instead of changing the aperture to reduce the amount of light in the image, we simply add on a ND filter, then adjust the exposure to the amount we want. It is easy and very effective, plus we can still set the aperture to a low value for sharper images, or wide open for a shallow DOF.
I have found it to help when filming on bright sunny days when using them on my P2 Vision Plus
2015-5-11
Use props
ara9112003
lvl.3
Flight distance : 495869 ft
United States

That is extremely overpriced"
2015-5-11
Use props
Gatorone30
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1145489 ft
United States

If it is truly an ND 100 then it is waaaayyyy to dark!  We have a set of ND filters for our Inspire 1 and the highest we have is ND 64. Out of the set the ND8 and ND 16 are the best.
2015-5-11
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

Using an ND filter forces the camera to shoot at a slower shutter speed which can reduce the "Jello" effect in some cases.  It's not clear if the P3 can benefit from an ND or not.
2015-5-11
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

Fulgerite Posted at 2015-5-12 08:01
Using an ND filter forces the camera to shoot at a slower shutter speed which can reduce the "Jello" ...

It absolutely can.

I'd be concerned with using using heavy contraptions like that. There are much lighter alternatives. They may not be 100% as high quality - but they won't hurt the gimbal.

I'll hopefully have something to offer to the community soon. I already use ND-filters for my Phantom 3 Professional. The main goal is to get better motion-blur for more natural looking smooth 30 (or lower) fps video. It can also help with jello that is also caused/made worse by high shutter speeds.
2015-5-11
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

My Phantom arrives tomorrow.  I have not actually examined the camera yet.
I would be concerend about adding too much weight to the front of the camera lens.  It will throw off the balance of the camera and make the stabilizer gymbal draw more power and possibly overheat.

Someone else mentioned that the clear glass filter unscrews from the front of camera?  If so you might be able to put a thin & inexpensive  "gel" type ND filter behind the glass and screw it back on?  It would weigh almost nothing.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/ ... Q=&is=REG&A=details

Just an idea.
2015-5-11
Use props
PublicRealtor
lvl.2

United States

Dataway Posted at 2015-5-12 04:58
I am not a professional photographer but from what I have studied..

A Neutral Density filter allows ...

Very interesting, thanks for the info.
2015-5-11
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

Fulgerite Posted at 2015-5-12 08:20
My Phantom arrives tomorrow.  I have not actually examined the camera yet.
I would be concerend abou ...

The "outer lens" does look like it is a part but itself. But I have (gently) tried to unscrew, and I can't. Also, I've not heard or seen anyone do this as of yet.

I'm making some perfectly circular ND-filters of the gel-type that attaches with a circular glue (double sided tape) so they will be easy to take on and off. Furthermore they will ad a bit of protection for the glas. I will start to ship sets of these worldwide soon. They will be inexpensive and very light in weight.

I've used them with my P2V+ and my P3Pro. It is like putting a pair of sunglasses on the camera. You don't notice it much in the video except for the lower shutterspeed which helps with jello and adds motion blur more natural motion. The drawbacks are minor - for example at certain angles there can be some extra lens flares. Also, they should not be on when doing photography, since they increase the shutterspeed. You rarely want motion blur in your stills
2015-5-11
Use props
powerjosl
lvl.1

Australia

It's ragecam, all their stuff is highly overpriced and shitty quality on top. I ordered an ND filter for my Hero 3 from them and regret spending that much money on it. It fell apart after a couple of weeks and they refused to replace it, even though it was still under warranty.

Don't buy anything from those guys!
2015-5-11
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

It does appear that the front lens cover does unscrew.  Check out this thread.  Post #5.
http://forum.dji.com/thread-14838-1-1.html

Just cut a piece of ND gel and place it behind the glass cover and screw it back on.  Instant ND filter for about $5.

2015-5-11
Use props
gnemie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 374678 ft
United Kingdom

Ive unscrewed mine , quite easy , worth looking into gel ND filter , thanks
2015-5-12
Use props
gnemie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 374678 ft
United Kingdom

FantomDK Posted at 2015-5-12 10:50
The "outer lens" does look like it is a part but itself. But I have (gently) tried to unscrew, and ...

Hi FantomDK, do you have a link to the ND Gel  you are using please, very interested in getting some
2015-5-12
Use props
YKM
lvl.3
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Gatorone30 Posted at 2015-5-12 05:40
If it is truly an ND 100 then it is waaaayyyy to dark!  We have a set of ND filters for our Inspire  ...

is ND64 too dark for phantom 3?  please advise.
2015-5-12
Use props
Gatorone30
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1145489 ft
United States

YKM Posted at 2015-5-12 17:12
is ND64 too dark for phantom 3?  please advise.

In my opinion it is. Look on the Inspire 1 forum. Our members tested our Inspire 1 filters that we got from Renaat. The darker you go the more you have color correct in post.
2015-5-12
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

Gatorone30 Posted at 2015-5-13 00:47
In my opinion it is. Look on the Inspire 1 forum. Our members tested our Inspire 1 filters that we ...

Yes, that will be way too dark. 0.9ND (ND8) is the darkest I use so far.

It is not so much that you'd have to color correct afterwards (in fact you shouldn't have to at all because of the ND filter - thats the point - it is neutral (grey)). If you use one of those very strong NDs it would have to lower the shutterspeed to say 1 second - meaning it would be a blurry mess

Our goal for the ND-filters are to lower to shutter speed to about 2x the framerate, to get a nice and natural amount of motion blur for fluid motion (and to avoid jello if props are a bit unbalanced or other problems). So if shooting 30FPS video it is a rule of thumb to go for 60 shutterspeed.

When doing stills it can be an idea not to use an ND-filter because you usually don't want motionblur in stills.
Edit: Take a look at the Wikipedia-page about ND-filters  As you can see, and ND64 only lets about 1.5% of the light thru - so thats a pretty dark (black) filter   I think those strong filters are used for long-exposure-shots - where you get this silky water if shooting water flowing - or soft clouds, if shooting clouds. It would be for speciality-uses on a quadcopter

-
Buy your DJI-gear, batteries, cases by using this link - it'll help me out

2015-5-17
Use props
ara9112003
lvl.3
Flight distance : 495869 ft
United States

Hello everyone"I have this Neutral Density Filter designed by myself.
Available in Gold or Silver.
Thanks"
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Phantom- ... hash=item3aab9c5d2d
2015-6-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules