13461 123 2018-5-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Titano
lvl.1
United States

Rockyraaccoon Posted at 2018-5-12 15:03
That's a horrible malfunction!

The same thing almost happened to me the other day.

When flying above water you should disable the bottom sensor, that is what I have seen from other users, I was going to fly above the waves and that was the recommendation. @Rockyraaccoon
2018-5-13
Use props
djiuser_JxV0XGSevhs9
lvl.1
Spain

Wow.....its very dangerous this problem......i will stop use active track for the mment.
DJI PLEASE!!
2018-5-13
Use props
HAYATHAP
lvl.2
Flight distance : 47680 ft
India

Rockyraaccoon Posted at 2018-5-12 15:03
That's a horrible malfunction!

The same thing almost happened to me the other day.

Wow..
Sir, You Did Great Job On Time To Control It..
2018-5-13
Use props
Rockyraaccoon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 982382 ft
United States

darrc Posted at 2018-5-12 17:25
Sorry to hear about this, are both of you guys on the latest .0400 drone firmware?

I dont think Im on the latest firmware.

When I go into the settings menu, about, it says Aircraft 01.00.0300

Yet when I click on check for updates, it says "latest firmware"

Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to connect to the computer directly to the aircraft to do this update?
2018-5-13
Use props
Rockyraaccoon
lvl.4
United States

Bluehook Posted at 2018-5-13 04:41
Dayum, you saved it!

I have to ask, what did you actually do to stop the drone?  Cancel button, S-P Sport Mode button, Right-stick down?

Truth is it happened so quickly that I was just happy to have gotten it stopped. In my mind I pushed up on the left stick and down on the right stick. Maybe not in that order but that's what I was shooting for.  

Overall it's rather disappointing since the active track was a primary factor in my purchase of the mavic air.

Does this follow function work ok with the Litchi app?
2018-5-13
Use props
nmac
lvl.4
Flight distance : 256 ft

Titano Posted at 2018-5-13 09:43
When flying above water you should disable the bottom sensor, that is what I have seen from other users, I was going to fly above the waves and that was the recommendation. @Rockyraaccoon

You may want to take off your shades as there was not water where the drone attacked the little girl. was next to but not in water.
2018-5-13
Use props
nmac
lvl.4
Flight distance : 256 ft

G_Sig Posted at 2018-5-12 12:37
You got a lot of high attitude warning. That could bee the reason why the sensors are not working.
[view_image]
The main reason is the wind.

Yes your right as the wind instead of blowing drone off and away sent it into a dive bomb mode at a little girl.
2018-5-13
Use props
darrc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5558 ft
Singapore

Rockyraaccoon Posted at 2018-5-13 17:44
I dont think Im on the latest firmware.

When I go into the settings menu, about, it says Aircraft 01.00.0300

Yes the latest firmware is .0400 but since the day it was released (4 May or whereabouts) many threads were posted regarding motor current error, yaw glitch and other issues.

It seems even strange whether the bugs that the .0400 claims to fix are even there in the first place. No known widespread users reports of those bugs claimed.

The .0300 seems to be one of the most stable firmware. Stick with it first until we know what's next. Official response to the widespread reports of the potentially buggy .0400 has been very disappointing. Coming to 2 weeks and no end in sight.
2018-5-13
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

lepiin Posted at 2018-5-12 21:38
yes it seems like the same thing.

Lepiin, had any luck finding out what went wrong?
2018-5-13
Use props
lepiin
lvl.2
Flight distance : 155108 ft
Estonia

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-5-13 20:05
Lepiin, had any luck finding out what went wrong?

no, i have no idea
2018-5-14
Use props
Steeevo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 264882 ft

COME ON THEN DJI, WHERE ARE ALL THE USUAL DJI STAFF THAT WOULD NORMALLY RESPOND TO THESE THREADS.

THIS IS A SERIOUS MALFUNCTION AND NEEDS ADDRESSING NOT IGNORING

great response from the bloke on the boat. well done.
2018-5-14
Use props
Bob Brown
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

Still coming back to this thread... waiting for a response from DJI on this... not a "fluke" so I hope DJI comes up with a solution FAST. I do not use active track on my MP but I do not a few folks that have a MA.. I have warned them of this.
2018-5-14
Use props
Bulldog
lvl.4
Flight distance : 816158 ft
United States

G..... Seems like another App glitch that DJI is ignoring. Its like a leak in the dam.... Only so many fingers to plug the holes.

Why in the world does DJI have app updates so often? Why are we being tested on? We have video evidence of two people having the drone attack the object in active track mode, I bet a million dollars DJI doesn't acknoladge anything. I expect a generic "send your drone in for repairs" response coming very soon.
2018-5-14
Use props
Malakai_UK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 536115 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You might find there's now a lot of things going on behind the scenes regarding this as its quite a dangerous issue. That's probably why no one has spoken up from DJI just yet. There will probably be information gathering then you will probably get an appology and a request for flight logs etc.
2018-5-14
Use props
LookAt_Wictim
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2621982 ft
Slovakia

still no response from DJI ?
2018-5-14
Use props
PetLabarak
lvl.3
Flight distance : 65512 ft
Canada

The only flight mode i trust on DJI (and all other kind of drone) is my full control tumbs on the stick... don't let the control of your drone and safty to others in the hand of a 'software'.
Nothing happen to the girl but imagine, she could be really hurt. DJI should stop creating fake security and should remove all there assisted flight mode. Drones are in the target of public security and each incident will increase reforcement of laws until it will be ban, as hobbyist, to fly a drone.
2018-5-14
Use props
Malakai_UK
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just read on FB DJI Mavic Air page that someone else has had this happen except it dive bombed into water after they set it to active track some people on paddle boats. This is the fourth account of this happening that I have read. I think DJI need to chime in as soon as possible now.
2018-5-14
Use props
Malakai_UK
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

And another one!!!
2018-5-14
Use props
Rockyraaccoon
lvl.4
United States

Malakai_UK Posted at 2018-5-14 11:44
And another one!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=36&v=UKgdRFL49_E

It looked like the collision prevention worked in this video, and it also looked like the dive bomb may have been triggered by the man kneeling to the ground.
2018-5-14
Use props
Griffith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98537 ft

eried Posted at 2018-5-12 09:03
Damn! have you checked the flight log? anything abnormal? was the drone receiving good gps signal?

Don't think GPS has anything to do with the problem.

I presume you were in active track mode.  Were you getting a target box on your screen?  Were you moving the sticks?

All will be revealed in the DAT upload.
2018-5-14
Use props
rafkt
lvl.2
Flight distance : 543077 ft
United Kingdom

To my understanding this has been an issue since the start of AT as a quick shot in DJI drones. There are numerous claims (I can post links from other forums which this was discussed a year ago) that AT mis-behaves during AT and the drone sort of attacks when it fails to succuefylly track an object and tries to catch up with it. We want technology to be perfect but unfortunately it is not - I will not go into deeper details how image recognition works in AT  but there are times where a false positive behaviour is occurred and that’s something DJI (for now) can’t really improve. The software perspective behind AT has its limits and it can be dangerous as well. Anyhow, I think there is not trust about a safe AT behaviour, hence the pilot should not leave the RC and his concentration from piloting (that should be a fact in any case). AT can help but it can be disastrous as it has been proven.
For DJI, they should educate its users more, and let them actively know that AT is here to help but not to do its magic on its own. There  is a misconception of how AT should be used even from DJI. Until then, they should honour their warranties (for any accidents) since their users (of course) want to use their paid devices as advertised.
2018-5-15
Use props
KimMavicAir
New
Flight distance : 1332 ft
Germany

I had a similar extremely dangerous incident.
In Active Track mode, my Mavic Air suddenly attacked my son. I hadn't touched the joysticks in the meantime! I have the latest software installed. A clue: I had used an ND filter. We were terrified and we are glad that nothing happened. Since then I don't use the Active Track mode anymore!

2018-5-19
Use props
Suncruiser
lvl.2
Flight distance : 77195 ft

KimMavicAir Posted at 2018-5-19 04:05
I had a similar extremely dangerous incident.
In Active Track mode, my Mavic Air suddenly attacked my son. I hadn't touched the joysticks in the meantime! I have the latest software installed. A clue: I had used an ND filter. We were terrified and we are glad that nothing happened. Since then I don't use the Active Track mode anymore!
look at this youtube video.

I can understand that wind caused the OP to have an attitude warning to cause his active track failure, but in this and the previous video it seems to be caused by the active track losing its target point. It would have been my guess that it would have gone to hover rather than to fly toward the subject.  Perhaps someone can explain why this was the case.

In any event it gives me cause to be more cautious to actively fly the MA when in active track and to not take its performance for granted.  If kneeling is the reason for this I cannot imagine using this for tracking a child until the firmware corrects for this behavior.
2018-5-20
Use props
Danger Lampost
lvl.4

United States

Thanks so much for posting this issue. It's a serious one.

I always have my fingers on the sticks no matter what mode my drone is in, and that has saved me countless times. I've had to abort more dronie or boomerang shots than I can count.

I've played around with hand gestures but I don't use them because I want my hands on the controller at all times.

I think of it a lot like Tesla's autopilot feature: It can help, but if you rely on it too much you may just drive into that truck that your car didn't see.

With these kinds of issues where there can be potential safety issues like this, I expect that the official response from the manufacturer will usually take some time because they first need to figure out what's going on, especially over the weekend. I expect folks at DJI are aware of this now. Due to liability issues, they may well be careful or measured in their response, if they have one.

From a public relations perspective, it would be smart of DJI to at least post something here so as not to spook the herd of DJI pilots.
2018-5-20
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

In a couple of these videos it seems the ''Target'' person has changed in height or appeared to.  Like kneeling or turning away.
Wondering if it is a perspective problem for drone.  Drone thinks ''Target'' person has diminished in size, thus rapidly moving away, and chase is on?
2018-5-20
Use props
Cap0ne
lvl.3
Flight distance : 217077 ft
Romania

Damn... i'm seriously thinking to sell the Air and wait for Pro2...
Or at least buy a helmet for my kid...
2018-5-21
Use props
Landbo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-5-20 21:51
In a couple of these videos it seems the ''Target'' person has changed in height or appeared to.  Like kneeling or turning away.
Wondering if it is a perspective problem for drone.  Drone thinks ''Target'' person has diminished in size, thus rapidly moving away, and chase is on?

Yes that could be part of the explanation. Another could be that people only get marked upper body of the person and thus much easier get the software into thinking it is now losing the subject as it moves. In any case, you will never get me to use Active Track on people, animals or vehicles without there is an experienced pilot at stick's to interrupt the game if it's about to go wrong. That's my statement after used the function a lot and have seen how unstable it is on my MP and P4A !!!

Litchi's Track mode is more calm in his movements.

I also miss DJI's moderators to comment on the videos shown. Hope they have been so clever and sent those videos to the techniques.

Regards Leif.
2018-5-21
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

You can see an extreme spike in the speed as it was taking a dive bomb towards the ground/your daughter with no input from the RC, obviously a windy day as the motor speed is fluctuating wildly to compensate for the wind. The drone left Active Track to GPS breifly but regained AT quickly before the incident. Have no explanation as to why only can verify what happened. This is a serious problem that DJI needs to correct ASAP, for now I wouldn't use Active Track whatsoever until corrected!

2018-5-21
Use props
darrc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5558 ft
Singapore

From what I read, this may not be directly due to the most recent .0400 firmware but still avoid updating to .0400 as it appears in so many threads that there are many other problems associated with the firmware, not just a ‘simple’ misinformation of the motor current error claimed.
2018-5-21
Use props
HEATYBOB
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hi guys I'm new here as yet am droneless but was going to buy the MA soon after gathering a bit of knowledge,this thread and the issues with the firmware have me now doubting the purchase.
2018-5-21
Use props
ny300z
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2603478 ft
United States

Gonna be a legal issue for them soon
2018-5-21
Use props
3-D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

dang!!!! @lepiin, Glad your daughter is safe @Rockyraaccoon, good reflexes!!
@DJI, anybody at DJI... please say something.  It's supposed to be identify subject and Actively Track them.  NOT Identify subject and ATTACK them.  

ActiveTrack.  not ATTACK.  lets get it right please!!!!!!!
2018-5-21
Use props
Cineasta83
lvl.2
Flight distance : 55738 ft
Argentina

People told me DJI is the best brand to buy a drone. I'm from Argentina. Here, is too expensive to buy those things. I bought a MA drone and I still can not use it because of all these issues. Now, I don't think DJI is the best brand. Customer support is a big part of the brand's quality. Bad for the DJI brand.
2018-5-21
Use props
KimMavicAir
New
Germany

Suncruiser Posted at 2018-5-20 04:47
I can understand that wind caused the OP to have an attitude warning to cause his active track failure, but in this and the previous video it seems to be caused by the active track losing its target point. It would have been my guess that it would have gone to hover rather than to fly toward the subject.  Perhaps someone can explain why this was the case.

In any event it gives me cause to be more cautious to actively fly the MA when in active track and to not take its performance for granted.  If kneeling is the reason for this I cannot imagine using this for tracking a child until the firmware corrects for this behavior.

There was no wind at all!
The reaction of the Drone was so fast, one would not have had a chance to react.
2018-5-22
Use props
KimMavicAir
New
Germany

I'm disappointed there's no reaction from DJI. This issue must be taken very seriously!
2018-5-22
Use props
Vixblue
lvl.1
Flight distance : 181161 ft
Sweden

This needs to get fixed ASAP.
2018-5-23
Use props
BagoDJIoperator84
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1077608 ft
South Korea

Whoa that is scary, glad your friend is alright and drone survived.
2018-5-23
Use props
proimages
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1004731 ft
United States

It's now days later and nothing...did any of these drones try this again..anyone else test or see this happen?
cheers
Darrin
2018-5-24
Use props
lepiin
lvl.2
Flight distance : 155108 ft
Estonia

proimages Posted at 2018-5-24 09:43
It's not days later and nothing...did any of these drones try this again..anyone else test or see this happen?
cheers
Darrin

It was my first time to use active track. But before and after this accident my drone works perfectly. Havent use the active track sense thou.
I got this drone 6 weeks ago and have about 45000m on flight record.
2018-5-24
Use props
MIR_FPV
lvl.1
Spain

I dont understand how its possible nobody from DJI write some info about this BIG problem!
2018-5-25
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules