Jittery footage when yawing( is that a word?
493 9 2018-5-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Addicted
lvl.1
South Africa

Yellow again,

Is there anyone else from South Africa on this site?

I’m looking to eliminate the jittery video footage when I pan (yaw) left or right. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
What settings do you use in PAL?

Thanks...
2018-5-13
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Switch to NTSC (makes no difference filming in natural light), increase the frame rate to 30p, reduce the rudder in sensitivity to .20 and reduce yaw speed to minimum. Also be gentle on the yaw stick when panning - don't push it all the way all the time - this will make the footage much slower and more cinematic.  
2018-5-13
Use props
Addicted
lvl.1
South Africa

A CW Posted at 2018-5-13 01:39
Switch to NTSC (makes no difference filming in natural light), increase the frame rate to 30p, reduce the rudder in sensitivity to .20 and reduce yaw speed to minimum. Also be gentle on the yaw stick when panning - don't push it all the way all the time - this will make the footage much slower and more cinematic.

Thank you very much will give that a go.
I was told however, that in South Africa we use PAL, why is this even an issue which I use?
Sorry, very new with this only 3weeks in.
2018-5-13
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Addicted Posted at 2018-5-13 01:43
Thank you very much will give that a go.
I was told however, that in South Africa we use PAL, why is this even an issue which I use?
Sorry, very new with this only 3weeks in.

We use PAL in the UK too - it comes from the old days of analogue tech but in the digital age it is no longer required. The new Mavic Air does not even give you the option to switch and simply lists every frame rate from both to choose from. The only thing you may experience using NTSC in a PAL area is flicker lines across the image when recording artificial light indoors due to the speed difference in electricity - 50hz in PAL and 60 in NTSC. Fly in day light hours and you will not notice anything other than the option of higher frame rates.
2018-5-13
Use props
Addicted
lvl.1
South Africa

A CW Posted at 2018-5-13 01:52
We use PAL in the UK too - it comes from the old days of analogue tech but in the digital age it is no longer required. The new Mavic Air does not even give you the option to switch and simply lists every frame rate from both to choose from. The only thing you may experience using NTSC in a PAL area is flicker lines across the image when recording artificial light indoors due to the speed difference in electricity - 50hz in PAL and 60 in NTSC. Fly in day light hours and you will not notice anything other than the option of higher frame rates.

Thank you very much, I will give NTSC a go, but as mentioned I am very much a novice and will then need a much bigger SD Card and probably a new Laptop “Sigh”. Going to be an endless pit of money, but hey, this is addictive....
2018-5-13
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Addicted Posted at 2018-5-13 02:02
Thank you very much, I will give NTSC a go, but as mentioned I am very much a novice and will then need a much bigger SD Card and probably a new Laptop “Sigh”. Going to be an endless pit of money, but hey, this is addictive....

Loads to learn and you never stop but that's all part of it. This forum is a good place to come to for pointers and advice. SanDisk Extreme Pro V30 A1 is the best micro SD card to use in my experience. Get a couple of 32gb one's rather than a 64gb in case it gets lost.
IOS works best with DJI products too. Don't try and get everything at the same time - even the accessories are small steps but a half decent lap top is important. I've got a MacBook Air and just about does the job. The device you use with the drone is more important. iPhone 7 Plus is flawless.
2018-5-13
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

i can not add any more valuable information regarding yaw jitters and ntsc vs Pal than acw already has - follow that advise and you should be good to go. One addition tip i can suggest is that if you desire quicker yaws without jitters than you can add forwrd or reverse thrust at the same time as yawing - this helps to get around quicker and smoother - still takes steady controls though.
2018-5-13
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

Addicted Posted at 2018-5-13 02:02

again as acw says - apple is better set up to handle dji products better so when looking at upgrading consider that.
Fortunately it is not a bottomless pit - you are correct that it is going to take some funds to buy other nessesary items you did not anticipate when you forst got your drone - but once you have what you need there is not much more to be got.
2018-5-13
Use props
Addicted
lvl.1
South Africa

Thanks. I have an iPhone 7 and yes it’s a little small other than that no issues.
2018-5-13
Use props
Addicted
lvl.1
South Africa

Again, thanks to everyone for the advice!
2018-5-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules