Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Loc8tor Lite on Mavic Air
2432 12 2018-5-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Pyotr
lvl.2
Flight distance : 269459 ft
United Kingdom

I've had my Mavic Air for a couple of weeks now and I absolutely love it but, like most drone users, I'm terrified of losing it. I've just bought a Loc8tor Lite kit and attached one of the transponders on the top, as shown in the pic. I would be interested to hear people's opinions on my choice of position.
I tried fitting it under the battery but it sticks out too far and stops all four feet making contact on a flat surface. The other drawback with fitting the transponder on the battery is that you need a seperate one for each battery unless you want to mess around with velcro or something.

I've taken it out for a test flight and the trannsponder didn't seem to affect flight, video signal, GPS or compass but it's hard to know whether it's actually having an adverse affect. The whole point is to be able to home in on the precise location of the drone after using 'Find My Drone' to get to the right general area. However, if the transponder adversely affects drone performance in the wind or affects the GPS or compass then it sort of defeats the object of making my drone harder to lose. It's worth pointing out that the transponder is just an inert receiver until it's activated by it's remote.

What are people's thoughts on this?

IMG_20180513_160532.jpg
2018-5-13
Use props
Bob Brown
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI has a "find my drone" option. (it uses the last known gps location)
You do not trust it?

2018-5-13
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Should you not have mounted a little more centre, not sure if the Air also has compass 2 at the front above the camera if it does it will affect you down the line
2018-5-13
Use props
Pyotr
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Bob Brown Posted at 2018-5-13 08:59
DJI has a "find my drone" option. (it uses the last known gps location)
You do not trust it?

I almost lost my drone deep in a hedge after about 1 week. (It was entirely pilot error.) The GPS got me to the right general area, within a few feet, but it took about five minutes of panicked searching before my daughter spotted the drone's lights in the undergrowth. The Loc8tor will literally guide you to within about a centimetre once it's got the transponder signal (within about 50 metres). I see the GPS (Find my Drone) and the Loc8tor system as complementary.

I imagine if the drone went down in a field of Rapeseed it would be a similar story. The GPS would only get you so far.
2018-5-13
Use props
Pyotr
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Suren Posted at 2018-5-13 09:08
Should you not have mounted a little more centre, not sure if the Air also has compass 2 at the front above the camera if it does it will affect you down the line

My understanding is that the Air, unlike the Pro, only has one magnetic compass and it's near the back with the GPS. (I stand to be corrected.) That's why I mounted the transponder fairly far forward. I really don't want to mess up the compass. I live in fear of ATTI mode!
2018-5-13
Use props
TechVoyager
lvl.4
Flight distance : 170030 ft
India

Oh god, finally i found the post about Loc8tor with Mavic air. Buddy, i am also planning to buy a loc8tor for my MA. Unlike you, i already lost my MA due to high speed winds and as you said Find my drone will take you to the approximate site but loc8tor will help you in reaching the exact position after that. Mine crash landed in a large millet farmland, where except millet plants i cant see anything. And as the drone battery died mid air, i couldnt track the exact location. So it got lost and finally after few days i got the info that its stolen too, by some local villager.
Well coming to the point now - I got a replacement MA now from DJI and this time i dont want to repeat the same mistakes and want to safeguard my drone all the time. I am confused between 3 devices:
a) RF-v16 gps tracker [small & light device]
b) TK-102 gps tracker [most recommended and cheapest one, but i am not inclined towards it as the battery life is very low]
c) Loc8tor lite [iam majorly interested in this but its cost is high.]

Compared to option a & b , i am more interested in Loc8tor because this is wifi based and i can use it anywhere in the world. But with the rest 2 gps tracker, they need celltowers to work and for international trips, i have to go for expensive international roaming plans.

Now, as you are already using Loc8tor can you post your feedback, experience, battery backup detais, pros and cons about it. Also please post some recent pics of your MA with this device attached. I researched and found that the center position is ideal for MA. How you fixed this device? velcro or glue or 3M stickers?

Please reply. Thanks.
2018-11-26
Use props
HendrikJB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2132792 ft
South Africa

I`ve "lost" my MA 2X but everytime I got it back with just using the DJI GO 4 App.

Yes, I also get into a frenzy when I cannot seem to find it but really getting an extra locator is not on.
2018-11-27
Use props
Pyotr
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I've been using mine with the Loc8tor Lite ever since my original post. I can honestly say it hasn't caused any problems whatsoever. It's still in the original position shown in my original photo.

It's important to get the position right so it doesn't get hit by the props but it's not difficult. The Loc8tor comes with sticky pads. I used one of those. When stuck in place it flexes from side to side slightly because of the curvature of the drone. It had never come off.

I have never had to use it in anger, thank goodness, but I test it occasionally to make sure the battery is still okay and connected. The battery connection inside the transponder is slightly suspect but that's why I test it from time to time.

I bought mine for about £40 from the RNIB. I haven't checked whether they still sell it.

I don't understand why people keep saying 'It isn't necessary - just yet on the inbuilt GPS'. The two systems are complementary. We've been through that already in this thread.
2018-11-27
Use props
Pyotr
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I'd be interested to know how you get on if you get one. Anyone else used one?
2018-11-27
Use props
djiuser_BTzMlu5Zpdgk
lvl.1

Canada

Pyotr Posted at 2018-11-27 08:04
I'd be interested to know how you get on if you get one. Anyone else used one?

Hello sorry for my english i am a french canadian. I have a new mav air a i have the same fear of you    lost my mavic. I have also a loc8tor and i want to know your impression in flight and the best location in our mavir air. did you try  since the photo. Are you try back in the battery

Thank

2019-4-16
Use props
Pyotr
lvl.2
United Kingdom

djiuser_BTzMlu5Zpdgk Posted at 4-16 04:32
Hello sorry for my english i am a french canadian. I have a new mav air a i have the same fear of you    lost my mavic. I have also a loc8tor and i want to know your impression in flight and the best location in our mavir air. did you try  since the photo. Are you try back in the battery

Thank

Hi. Your English is fine.

I have flown it all the time with the Loc8tor in the position shown in the photo. That's over a year now and, so far, it hasn't caused any problems whatsoever, as far as I know. Of course, it's hard to know whether it's actually affecting signal range, aerodynamics, etc. but it doesn't seem to be.

I'm pleased to say I haven't actually had to use the Loc8tor in anger yet but I did get one of my children to hide the drone in a field and I successfully found it!
2019-7-22
Use props
Pyotr
lvl.2
United Kingdom

djiuser_BTzMlu5Zpdgk Posted at 4-16 04:32

Thank

I forgot to respond to your question about attaching the Loc8tor to the battery. I didn't do this for two reasons. Firstly, it gets in the way of landing clearance. Secondly, I have three batteries and the Loc8tor set only comes with two transponders.
2019-7-22
Use props
Dakar Enduro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1451841 ft
United States

I understand the appeal of Loc8tor but as pointed out you can use the DJI app to find the drone.  You know you can activate the drone beeper/lights and have that assist you in the search...  I haven't lost my drone but I would think flying in VLOS and with an accurate GPS track, plus cached video I would be able to get within close enough distance to hear the drone beeper going off.  
2019-8-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules