Damaged Phantom 4 Pro
1443 18 2018-5-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
whitehunter
lvl.2

Today I was using my phantom 4 pro in "follow me mode", I was walking in a field that is tree lined and the phantom flew into an oak tree. The result was a smashed gimbal, and broken off landing arm. I thought the drone should use all of the sensors to avoid crashing into a large tree, or are the sensors turned off in '"follow me mode"?

2018-5-13
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

White, we're sorry to hear the crash. Please kindly start a case and send it in for diagnosis: https://www.dji.com/support
If the drone is under warranty period, data analysis will be suggested to check the exact status.
2018-5-14
Use props
whitehunter
lvl.2
United Kingdom

As it is approximately 18 months old, is it still under warranty? I did have your care package for the first year but was disappointed to find when I went to renew it I was told I couldn't,
as the care package was only for the first year!
2018-5-14
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>

You need to provide more details.
At the moment I'm not sure if all sensors are automatically activated by using 'Follow Me'.

Here are some questions:
- Have all the sensors been active?
- Has the drone been flying 'sideways' - means the infrared side sensors were 'in charge' of that tree?
- As you were walking I would assume the drone was flying slow? That helps usually because all sensors only work up to a certain speed.
- Was that tree full of leaves (I can't tell which country/season you are in)?
Trees can be tricky - esp. when it comes down to single branches.
2018-5-14
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Go to this link and follow the instructions to upload your flight record, then come back and post a link to it. We can then see what happened.
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2018-5-14
Use props
whitehunter
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Thank you, will do that, am away at the moment but will upload on my return.
2018-5-14
Use props
whitehunter
lvl.2

Flight log
Hyper link below.
2018-5-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

whitehunter Posted at 2018-5-14 21:47
Thank you, will do that, am away at the moment but will upload on my return.

Just post the LOG hyperlink, not the files. Thanks.

RedHotPoker
2018-5-17
Use props
Grumpy D
First Officer
Flight distance : 18245 ft
United States

0 satellites and compass error may have had something to do with it.
2018-5-18
Use props
whitehunter
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Sorry, got it wrong uploading the log! this is the hyperlink, http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/XBVBT53WSNP1SUONDKCF/

I can see that there was a loss of GPS but more concerning to me was the compass error. OK, probably should have been watching the Ipad, however given the time between the first problem showing up and the drone moving off my trail to the right and then then sensors not kicking in, now makes me very concerned about the reliability of the DJI systems. I doubt anyone could have acted quickly enough to stop the crash, especially as the drone is behind you. The other part that really is disappointing, when I went to renew my DJI care after the first year, I find its not possible. Is this a lack of faith by DJI in there drones that they only agree to one year as the reliability seriously decreases after 12 month? My opinion, of what is considered the brand leader in drones, DJI,  is now less than good!

To clarify, I was flying in fields in Somerset UK, there are no mobile masts, no large buildings and no electrical wires,  the path I was on is approximately 20feet away from the tree line. and the oak tree is in full leaf!!!
2018-5-18
Use props
whitehunter
lvl.2

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-5-14 02:38
White, we're sorry to hear the crash. Please kindly start a case and send it in for diagnosis: https://www.dji.com/support
If the drone is under warranty period, data analysis will be suggested to check the exact status.

Please answer my qustion to your post.
2018-5-18
Use props
Landbo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

whitehunter Posted at 2018-5-18 06:39
Sorry, got it wrong uploading the log! this is the hyperlink, http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/XBVBT53WSNP1SUONDKCF/

I can see that there was a loss of GPS but more concerning to me was the compass error. OK, probably should have been watching the Ipad, however given the time between the first problem showing up and the drone moving off my trail to the right and then then sensors not kicking in, now makes me very concerned about the reliability of the DJI systems. I doubt anyone could have acted quickly enough to stop the crash, especially as the drone is behind you. The other part that really is disappointing, when I went to renew my DJI care after the first year, I find its not possible. Is this a lack of faith by DJI in there drones that they only agree to one year as the reliability seriously decreases after 12 month? My opinion, of what is considered the brand leader in drones, DJI,  is now less than good!

Sorry for your loss.

But unfortunately, I can not find any errors on your Phantom during the flight. Compass errors and missing GPS is only coming after you hit the tree and the drones fall to the ground.

Unfortunately, I do not know which sensors are active in active track on a P4P, you should be able to read this in your manual for the machine.

Your accident is thus a combination of an bad fly environment and pilot error as there seemed not to be a pilot at the stick to avoid the accident.

Regards Leif.
2018-5-18
Use props
Landbo
Second Officer
Denmark

whitehunter Posted at 2018-5-18 06:39

I can see that there was a loss of GPS but more concerning to me was the compass error. OK, probably should have been watching the Ipad, however given the time between the first problem showing up and the drone moving off my trail to the right and then then sensors not kicking in, now makes me very concerned about the reliability of the DJI systems. I doubt anyone could have acted quickly enough to stop the crash, especially as the drone is behind you. The other part that really is disappointing, when I went to renew my DJI care after the first year, I find its not possible. Is this a lack of faith by DJI in there drones that they only agree to one year as the reliability seriously decreases after 12 month? My opinion, of what is considered the brand leader in drones, DJI,  is now less than good!

Forget totally to tell that the place you takeoff from is very poorly chosen as you under the tree trunk can not get a good accurate GPS position. Moreover, there is also a chance that you landing your drone in the tree trunk if the controller loses the connection to your Phantom and RTH kick in.

Regards Leif.
2018-5-18
Use props
whitehunter
lvl.2

Landbo Posted at 2018-5-18 11:40
Forget totally to tell that the place you takeoff from is very poorly chosen as you under the tree trunk can not get a good accurate GPS position. Moreover, there is also a chance that you landing your drone in the tree trunk if the controller loses the connection to your Phantom and RTH kick in.

Regards Leif.

Thank you for your post. It my look like I took off near a tree trunk from the picture but I assure you I did not. If you look closely you will see the Phantom is following me and then moves to the right hitting the tree.
2018-5-18
Use props
whitehunter
lvl.2

Landbo Posted at 2018-5-18 09:54
Sorry for your loss.

But unfortunately, I can not find any errors on your Phantom during the flight. Compass errors and missing GPS is only coming after you hit the tree and the drones fall to the ground.

Thank you for your reply to my post, No I was not controlling the aircraft, it was in "follow me mode", and even if I was I doubt I would have had time to take action to avoid the crash. Difficult controlling the drone when its behind you, also difficult looking at the Ipad all the time when walking. I thought the idea of "follow me mode" was to do just that and not deviate form the subject, or turn right into a tree,  As for the environment, open field with trees in the hedge. At the start of the flight, you can see by the log, the drone was well away from trees it then moves right straight into the tree.
2018-5-18
Use props
Landbo
Second Officer
Denmark

whitehunter Posted at 2018-5-18 12:34
Thank you for your reply to my post, No I was not controlling the aircraft, it was in "follow me mode", and even if I was I doubt I would have had time to take action to avoid the crash. Difficult controlling the drone when its behind you, also difficult looking at the Ipad all the time when walking. I thought the idea of "follow me mode" was to do just that and not deviate form the subject, or turn right into a tree,  As for the environment, open field with trees in the hedge. At the start of the flight, you can see by the log, the drone was well away from trees it then moves right straight into the tree.

Yes, that's correct, you used "Follow Me" and not "Active Track", it's me that's messed up.

Regards Leif.
2018-5-18
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

whitehunter Posted at 2018-5-18 08:43
Please answer my qustion to your post.

Sorry for the late response. Please refer above and kindly start a case to send the unit in at your earliest convenience. The local team will check the exact status and offer you a proper solution.
2018-5-23
Use props
whitehunter
lvl.2

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-5-23 22:41
Sorry for the late response. Please refer above and kindly start a case to send the unit in at your earliest convenience. The local team will check the exact status and offer you a proper solution.

Thank you, but you have not answered my question. The drone is only 18 months old with very little use. My problem is that with the gimbal being broken off and one of the landing arms, the cost of repair I would think is going to prohibitive in having it repaired.
I have uploaded the flight record that shows that the drone suddenly turned right into a fully leafed oak tree when being flown in "follow me mode"   
I am happy to send it back for investigation, but if found the crash was due to a fault will it be repaired at no cost to myself?
Don   
2018-5-24
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>

whitehunter Posted at 2018-5-24 06:24
Thank you, but you have not answered my question. The drone is only 18 months old with very little use. My problem is that with the gimbal being broken off and one of the landing arms, the cost of repair I would think is going to prohibitive in having it repaired.
I have uploaded the flight record that shows that the drone suddenly turned right into a fully leafed oak tree when being flown in "follow me mode"   
I am happy to send it back for investigation, but if found the crash was due to a fault will it be repaired at no cost to myself?

If you don't have DJI Care Refresh or anything that extends the regular guarantee period,
you are no more covered. Coverage differs depending on the specific drone part and goes from 6-12 months.

It doesn't matter how much it has been flown. Only time matters. And the clock start's ticking upon activation.
2018-5-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules