Runaway Drone, Inverted Controls, WTF?
662 9 2018-5-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_645J3gH6JVAV
lvl.1
Flight distance : 194698 ft
United States

[size=14.6667px]This was a rather odd and insane experience...

[size=14.6667px]I had just flown the drone for about 45 minutes on two batteries consecutively  Brought it back to the LZ to deploy the third battery, and then continue filming.

[size=14.6667px]On this third battery, I got into the air, flew to a target (which was about 400ft in front of me), set the POI mode target, radius, and altitude of ~100ft); flew for probably 10 minutes total having around 70% battery left, everything was going great.

[size=14.6667px]All of a sudden, the DJI Go 4 app says aircraft disconnected, and I can no longer see or hear the drone.  I try to restart the DJI Go app with no success.  I still have telemetry on the controller, saying it's 400ft away with an altitude of 113ft.  The last GPS location on phone is not where the drone was, nor could I see it where it "should" have been on the POI radius.  I press the return-to-home button, and I finally hear the drone.  It's not exactly where the RTH was set, and it's above/behind a tree line, but I'm able to increase altitude and hear the sound of the props.

[size=14.6667px]I'm able to walk out away from a tree line, and the drone is still moving in a POI pattern, but near the home location.  I'm able to get it in a clear field, but it's sticking to the POI motions, even after I try the "pause" button on the remote.  I try to orient the drone and move it closer to me, but the controls are inverted, and seemingly keep changing, which was really weird.  I'm trying to fight the controls to get it back over towards my location, compensating for what the POI pattern is doing, but the controls keep changing how they are reacting... finally I'm able to pull the controls around enough to hold it somewhat steady in line-of-sight so that it's not disappearing and blending in view of the background and drive over to it.

[size=14.6667px]I try to make it land, but it won't get lower than 14ft.  I drive the UTV close to it and am able to stand on it while manipulating the controls and grab the drone from the bottom, but then tries to aggressively climb as it thinks it's avoiding an obstacle (I suppose?)  I try the emergency shutdown procedure on the remote but it doesn't work.  I carefully move the drone around and down so that I can take my other arm and get to the battery to shut it down that way... that doesn't work at all.  Finally, after holding it for a bit, the critical battery actions take over (at least, I think that's why it did this) and the drone just shuts down.

[size=14.6667px]Once I get back to the office I try to power it on and connect USB, but it doesn't even connect or recognize it... not sure if this is related now or not.

[size=14.6667px]WTF just happened?  It's pretty warm here today, around 95F... and this was the third consecutive battery in this thing.  Is this some sort of weird behavior from heat?

2018-5-14
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

As far as getting out of POI, switching to Sport Mode and back to GPS should always cancel any app features and/or flight modes. Sounds like it somehow got into Mode 3 as far as the flight controls go (Weird) As far as the issue with trying to connect I assume you are connecting thru Assistant 2 and that's where it is not recognizing the drone?

Can you post the flight log  http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/   and paste the link back here
2018-5-14
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wow, that sounds like quite the experience  I would recommend if you would like community assistance in trying to figure out what happened to upload your flight record log from your phone/tablet to the following site and then paste the resulting URL in this thread.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2018-5-14
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft

RTH should also work as a last resort.  But I'd personally try switching to Sport Mode first.

2018-5-14
Use props
djiuser_645J3gH6JVAV
lvl.1
United States

RTH didn't work as expected, but it got close.  The switch between Sport & Normal and the pause button didn't seem to have any change either.

Flight record at http://phantomhelp.com/logviewer/DKBMADJ88V5C924YUSSQ/
2018-5-14
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

I try to orient the drone and move it closer to me, but the controls are inverted, and seemingly keep changing, which was really weird.  

Going with controls didn't start out inverted, then became inverted, and continued to flip-flop (''seemingly keep changing'');
what version of Firmware are you running?
near anything that might jam radio signal to/from drone/RC?

Update - flight log posted.  
Shows ''GEO: You are in a Warning Zone (Class D Airspace). Fly with caution.''
Closes airport appears to be Terry Field, 6.5 miles away.  Maybe another airport near by?  

2018-5-14
Use props
djiuser_645J3gH6JVAV
lvl.1
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-5-14 14:04
I try to orient the drone and move it closer to me, but the controls are inverted, and seemingly keep changing, which was really weird.  

Going with controls didn't start out inverted, then became inverted, and continued to flip-flop (''seemingly keep changing'');

Running the latest app and firmware on the AC, RC, and battery.  For reference that is 4.2.14 app, and 01.04.0300 firmware.

Have flown this path multiple times today with no issues; no interference within immediate range.

DJI support seemingly sending on a hunt saying it just needs the RC re-linked.  That doesn't seem to make much sense though?

Trying to get the flight DAT files from the AC, but the drivers and DJI Assistant 2 are being super troublesome.
2018-5-14
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

djiuser_645J3gH6JVAV Posted at 2018-5-14 14:09
Running the latest app and firmware on the AC, RC, and battery.  For reference that is 4.2.14 app, and 01.04.0300 firmware.

Have flown this path multiple times today with no issues; no interference within immediate range.

Trying to get the flight DAT files from the AC, but the drivers and DJI Assistant 2 are being super troublesome.

If it is any consolation, I can't get DJI's Assitant 2 to access any of Flight Data on my MPP.  
Assistant 2, will show firmware and upgrade/downgrade firmware, and do a Calibration.  Be still my heart...  
2018-5-14
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

djiuser_645J3gH6JVAV Posted at 2018-5-14 14:09

For reference that is 4.2.14 app, and 01.04.0300 firmware.  

I ran into two strange problems after I updated to 01.04.0300 firmware.  But I can not specifically say downgrading back to 01.04.0200 got rid of those two problems.
See my heads up Post Here.

2018-5-14
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi, I'm sorry to hear about the accident. Please kindly contact our support to start a case and send it in for diagnosis: https://www.dji.com/support. If the drone is still in warranty period, the local team will arrange data analysis after they received the package. If you encounter any difficulties during the repair progress, feel free to contact us with your case number, we're glad to help.
2018-5-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules