Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
P3 and Inspire Tutorials
11442 16 2015-5-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jimhare
lvl.4
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

Hi Everyone,

Just received my new P3 today, very excited!   I've been an Inspire 1 owner for the last few months and in that time made quite a few tutorials that I think P3 users could also benefit from.   So I thought I'd say hi and share the info here.

My background is in cameras and filmmaking so my tutorials are all about the getting the best from your shots.  

Again, these were all done for the Inspire but are equally relevant to the P3 when it comes to shooting and processing vision.

Hope to here from you!

TUTORIAL 1 Basics
http://youtu.be/S7PxuY9cqZE-

TUTORIAL 2 LUTS, Sharpness and Proper Exposure

post http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... 235&page=1#pid75878

-

TUTORIAL 3 Troubled Footage
http://youtu.be/G5a06_BpMAs
     post http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... 434&page=1#pid77262

-

NEW TUTORIAL 4 - CONTROLLING LUTs in DaVinci
http://youtu.be/8AGYI3U5fLA

here are my recent videos:
http://youtu.be/a_dJbaDl7F4
http://youtu.be/QEDfLrLrJlI
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... 1137&extra=page%3D1

NEW VIDEO - CLIFFS OF BONDI
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... ra=page%3D1&lang=en

2015-5-11
Use props
DJI-Autumn
lvl.4

Hong Kong

Thank you so much for your efforts to help us enjoy the Inspire 1.
We love your tutorials.
Hope we have more customers like you who is willing to share their knowledge.
Looking forward to your Phantom's Turorial series.
2015-5-11
Use props
Davidklein1
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Really useful. It's all a bit overwhelming for someone who is just starting out with UAVs so these vids definitely help. Thanks
2015-5-11
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

DJI-Autumn Posted at 2015-5-12 14:46
Thank you so much for your efforts to help us enjoy the Inspire 1.
We love your tutorials.
Hope we h ...

Heh, thanks Autumn!    I've been waiting for years for a turnkey quad that had a powerful camera and was easy to use.   Been loving it!

I have learned a lot about flying on the forum so very happy to tell everyone what I know about making great images!
2015-5-11
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

Davidklein1@gma Posted at 2015-5-12 14:54
Really useful. It's all a bit overwhelming for someone who is just starting out with UAVs so these v ...

Hi David,

Happy to help.  Yeah, it's enough just on the flying side without having to become a video expert as well.   Let me know if you have any questions about the tutorials, happy to help out.

Jim
2015-5-11
Use props
JtrJr-Droner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

Jim,

Okay, I watched your "basic" tutorial. Your basic tutorial is way beyond expert mode for me! I'm almost embarrassed to ask you this based on your level of expertise and experience but you'd probably know better than anyone. I've got a Phantom Vision 2 Plus v3 and I've had a lot of fun with it. I shoot videos mostly out in the country just for personal use, to share with family and friends on a 55" HDTV and to post on YouTube. Some look good, some not so good. I do absolutely no post-production stuff. I do a tiny bit of editing in Moviemaker or the GoPro program. I'm sure you're rolling your eyes by now and you're getting the jist of my level of expertise! None!

Well, I just got my P3Pro, haven't even flown it yet. I'm just setting it up. Here's my question. How should I set up my camera for the best videos I can make without becoming an expert? I've been reading posts and viewing YouTube videos for hours about setting up the camera and now I'm totally confused. I just want to provide the best videos I can for the kind of stuff I wrote about above. I'd like to leave the professional stuff like you're doing to the professionals that you've become and have earned the right to be. I just want some halfway decent videos to enjoy in my retirement.

Any info that you could or would even provide would be greatly appreciated. I really do feel a bit like an idiot for even asking.

Thanks in advance for even reading this,

Jerry
2015-5-17
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

JtrJr-Droner Posted at 2015-5-18 05:38
Jim,

Okay, I watched your "basic" tutorial. Your basic tutorial is way beyond expert mode for me! I ...

Hi Jerry, thanks for writing!

No eye rolling, we all have different goals and interests and there is no right or wrong when it comes to enjoying our hobbies.

If you just want to take good looking videos without requiring post production, I suggest keeping the camera in AUTO Mode, using AUTO WHITE BALANCE and maybe try the VIVID setting in Color.  

Your videos will still be a bit hit and miss as you are leaving the most important decisions up to the camera and this doesn't usually give the most artistic result.

That certainly doesn't mean 100% of my or anyone else's shots are perfect either, just that you have more options when you control the exposure yourself.

Hope this helps a bit, have fun!
2015-5-17
Use props
JtrJr-Droner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-5-18 06:05
Hi Jerry, thanks for writing!

No eye rolling, we all have different goals and interests and there ...

Jim,

Thanks, I'll try that! BTW, I bought an old 1941 Indian Army motorcycle from one of your countrymen over there many years ago and my Daughter spent some time over there as a foreign exchange student. When we're out with the family boating and such we still do the "Ozzie Ozzie Ozzie Oi Oi Oi!" chant when someone does something worthy of it.

Thanks again,

Jerry
2015-5-17
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

JtrJr-Droner Posted at 2015-5-18 07:47
Jim,

Thanks, I'll try that! BTW, I bought an old 1941 Indian Army motorcycle from one of your cou ...

It's a pretty amazing place to live!   I'm actually a Californian from way back but lived in Sydney 23 years now!

Came over for what I thought would be a year or two and never left!   
2015-5-17
Use props
aburkefl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-5-12 15:22
Heh, thanks Autumn!    I've been waiting for years for a turnkey quad that had a powerful camera a ...

Love your tutorials, love your advice. Ran an experiment yesterday with my GoPro. Set it to 4K and recorded a few clips. I don't have the software or the hardware to process 4K - have to cut it down to 1080P, but - WOW!

I've been shooting heavily in 1080P 60 fps. Pan and zoom is kind of a joke. But processing the 4K up front and pan/zoom from there is awesome!

Now there's only 42 other things to learn! LOL
2015-5-18
Use props
droneflyers.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice tutorial. I'm going to try to learn manual settings although I've never done much of it before.

It should be noted that the P3 is much more sensitive in auto than the P2V+.
My P2 tends to take good video on auto - whereas the P3 completely blows out (sometimes to total brightness!) when it hits strong sunlight.

I think DJI will eventually tune up those auto settings better because there are surely some video cams on the market which use a similar sensor but have better auto-exposure.

Probably the best hint for many pilots is to try to fly in partly cloudy or cloudy (but fairly bright) conditions - and try to keep the direct sun behind the quad. Another beginners hint is to set up your shots so that you have lots of similar video (angles, scenes) to choose from when you go to do even basic edits.

No one online wants to watch videos longer than 3 minutes - so take 12-15 minutes of video and cut it down to 2 or so of the best scenes (both lighting and scenery).
2015-5-20
Use props
psaeiuo
New

Switzerland

Hi Jim

First of all I'd like to thank you so much for the the valuable insights you share with us. It helped me a lot to improve the quality of my footage.

I own a P3 Professional and am eager to use 4K. Unfortunately I cannot use low shutter speeds without overexposing most of the image. As to my limited knowledge in videography (I come from the flying side of things and started way back with mostly mechanical RC helicopters) I'd need a shutter speed value which is twice the framerate at the maximum to get best results (1/50 @ 4K 25). I cannot achieve this without heavily over expose the image (except in dusk or dawn).

I guess a proper ND filter would be essential to get good results. Unfortunately DJI does not deliver these with the P3P. I hope that there will be ND filters which can be exchanged with the standard protection glass to maintain gimbal balance.

How do you handle the light when using your P3 without ND filters available? Is it possible to raise the shutter speed to multiple values of the framerate (say 1/100 @ 4K 25 or 1/200 @ 4K 25 or even higher) without suffering from image breakdown, rolling shutter etc.?

Maybe you have a spare minute to share some insight. Many thanks again and have a nice weekend.

Cheers,
Patrick
2015-5-23
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

psaeiuo@bluewin Posted at 2015-5-23 16:43
Hi Jim

First of all I'd like to thank you so much for the the valuable insights you share with us.  ...

Hi Patrick.   Renaat on the Inspire side custom built and sold more powerful NDs and I know he's been talking about making them for the P3, which would be great.

Yes, you're right, all you can do is dial it up until you aren't overexposed.   Don't worry about an even multiple, as soon as you get passed around 1/100 all bets are off.

Yes, this can start to increase rolling shutter and other issues, but if you aren't flying fast it's really a non-issue.  

Jim
2015-5-23
Use props
psaeiuo
New

Switzerland

jimhare Posted at 2015-5-23 18:41
Hi Patrick.   Renaat on the Inspire side custom built and sold more powerful NDs and I know he's b ...

Hi Jim

Thank you very much for your reply. This is very good news about the Renaat's ND's. I postet in one of his threads to see wether I can get in touch with him about details.

I will do some more shutter testing once the weather gets better

2015-5-23
Use props
fiskld
lvl.2

United States

Great job Jim! Thank you for helping us who have a lot to learn. Your tutorial's are very helpful.
2015-5-23
Use props
gyrex
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7454275 ft
  • >>>
Poland

Awesome tutorial! Thanks for taking the time and effort in making it! I'm a new Phantom 3 Advanced owner (returning it for the Mavic) and I'm a native Sydney-sider but I live between Poland (partner's homeland) and Sydney (Manly). PM me if you want to go droning some time around Sydney
2016-9-29
Use props
COD29ER
New
United States

Posting so I can find the thread again later
2017-4-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules