Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
A Warning for New Pilots
123Next >
6142 106 2018-5-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

A CW Posted at 2018-5-15 12:05
Different winds that what I have experienced

And what type of wind do you have? Helium.

I’m certain OP’s wife would have noticed all that wind when sliding doors were drawn back.
2018-5-15
Use props
3-D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-5-15 10:27
That is lucky LOL. 6MPH wind at ground level on an open beach and the MA can handle winds at 25MPH quite easily... Have you checked your flight records. The behaviour of the drone seems like it went into ATTI mode unless the gust hit 40+MPH which would be very extreme at just that altitude even with a backdraft.

I haven't checked the logs.  As soon as it went out it started drifting.  I didn't think it went into ATTI mode, but then again, i had stopped looking at the screen, and was only looking at the drone trying to  bring it back in the door.  

I know for a fact that the Air can handle higher winds.  I've had it in winds upwards of 20, and it stayed steady.  The difference is that those winds were constant and moving in one direction.    When i took the Air out it was getting tossed about and looked like the winds were mad at it.

I'll check the logs this evening, and see if it went into ATTI.

Thanks.
2018-5-15
Use props
3-D
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-15 10:45
Unless wind was greater than 30/35 mph it shouldn’t have set off like that. It is quite common when flying from inside for gps to be a problem which could have been a problem, it’s great that you posted and will be a warning to others, thanks for that, but to see what actually happened could you upload your log.

Just click on link below and follow instructions come back here and post your link.

Sure thing.  i'll do that.  It was my eyes that said the wind did it.  i'd like to know if it was something else.
2018-5-15
Use props
3-D
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Hurley1718 Posted at 2018-5-15 11:49
Thanks for the advice and your story. Glad it all turned out ok and I'm sure that everyone who has read this will have this story saved in the back of their mind for the time they look out a large sliding glass door at a hotel room and think "I'm just gonna fly this right through that door".

Thanks.

That is my hope.  I know it will stay in my head.

me:  i'm just gonna fly this right through that door.
me:  uh... bruh. you remember that time in daytona?  you thought that was gonna be fun, and you nearly lost that thing?  
me:  yeah, you're right.  lets just go out side and start from there...
2018-5-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

3-D Posted at 2018-5-15 13:28
I haven't checked the logs.  As soon as it went out it started drifting.  I didn't think it went into ATTI mode, but then again, i had stopped looking at the screen, and was only looking at the drone trying to  bring it back in the door.  

I know for a fact that the Air can handle higher winds.  I've had it in winds upwards of 20, and it stayed steady.  The difference is that those winds were constant and moving in one direction.    When i took the Air out it was getting tossed about and looked like the winds were mad at it.

Did the wind look anything like this, it would take a lot of wind to shift the Mavic like you say, may not be Atti mode but coming from indoors you may not have any or very few satellites.

2018-5-15
Use props
3-D
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Maxheadspace Posted at 2018-5-15 07:50
Do you know what "return to home" is?  Always factor this into your launch location.  Understand that if you lose signal for whatever reason your drone will fly back to its origin by itself.  If that origin is indoors, you will have some major problems.  Similar for launching from moving objects, like boats.

Yes.  I'm very aware of RTH, and how it operates,   However, in this instance, since i knew that RTH  would not be possible,  because the drone would not be able to make it to the location of take off before hitting the building.  With that in mind, i had set it to land if it lost connection to controller.    This would have taken it down to the ground below, which would have been fine.  
2018-5-15
Use props
3-D
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

ro_flyer Posted at 2018-5-15 12:19
Glad there was no honeymooners on that room!!!

Honest, sir... i wasn't spying on you.  and i wasn't filming you slap that @$$.   
2018-5-15
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

3-D Posted at 2018-5-15 13:28
I haven't checked the logs.  As soon as it went out it started drifting.  I didn't think it went into ATTI mode, but then again, i had stopped looking at the screen, and was only looking at the drone trying to  bring it back in the door.  

I know for a fact that the Air can handle higher winds.  I've had it in winds upwards of 20, and it stayed steady.  The difference is that those winds were constant and moving in one direction.    When i took the Air out it was getting tossed about and looked like the winds were mad at it.

Also check for compass errors and GPS lock
2018-5-15
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-15 13:19
I’m certain OP’s wife would have noticed all that wind when sliding doors were drawn back.

I'm sure she would have. My wife would of said to close the bloody thing LOL May be she knew it would crash and that's why she insisted the OP flew it out
2018-5-15
Use props
3-D
lvl.4
  • >>>

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-15 10:45
Unless wind was greater than 30/35 mph it shouldn’t have set off like that. It is quite common when flying from inside for gps to be a problem which could have been a problem, it’s great that you posted and will be a warning to others, thanks for that, but to see what actually happened could you upload your log.

Just click on link below and follow instructions come back here and post your link.

Whelp...  You guys were right.

Atti mode.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/FP73BIFPA00TA7ZFVXO7/

My eyes lied to me.  
2018-5-15
Use props
3-D
lvl.4
  • >>>

A CW Posted at 2018-5-15 13:46
I'm sure she would have. My wife would of said to close the bloody thing LOL May be she knew it would crash and that's why she insisted the OP flew it out

you know... i have been spending a lot of time with the drone...  there may be something to that...

nah...  she wouldn't knowingly throw $1000 out the window.  Especially since she knows i would just go buy another one...
2018-5-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

3-D Posted at 2018-5-15 14:19

Atti mode.

Yeah it’s one of those things you have to watch out for flying from inside to out, you may get away with it if no buildings around to block any signal, just put it down to experience and a whole lot of very good luck.
Thanks again for posting I’m sure you have helped a lot of users, and all’s well and ends well.
Good luck..
2018-5-15
Use props
3-D
lvl.4
  • >>>

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-15 13:35
Did the wind look anything like this, it would take a lot of wind to shift the Mavic like you say, may not be Atti mode but coming from indoors you may not have any or very few satellites.

https://youtu.be/ZHoURhYOBOw

That part where he was holding the stick in full forward and it was just sort of hovering there.  That's what mine was doing.
2018-5-15
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

3-D Posted at 2018-5-15 14:19

Atti mode.

No GPS position till 74.5 seconds after power up.  Gets home position at 80.7 seconds.  (home point recorded).
Is in P-GPS mode from 4.5 seconds after power up.  Then ATTI mode at 100.7 seconds & 100.8 seconds (end of log).

How long was drone powered up and hovering before going out sliding glass door?
2018-5-15
Use props
3-D
lvl.4
  • >>>

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-15 14:26
Yeah it’s one of those things you have to watch out for flying from inside to out, you may get away with it if no buildings around to block any signal, just put it down to experience and a whole lot of very good luck.
Thanks again for posting I’m sure you have helped a lot of users, and all’s well and ends well.
Good luck..

so i'm trying to understand the log, and what happened.  It was outside fighting for a minute before it went to atti mode.  So was i fighting wind and then it went into ATTI mode?  or did i just lose it when i flew out the door?
it was outside for almost 30 seconds before it fell into ATTI

Of course this is just for information purposes, because i'm never doing that again.
2018-5-15
Use props
3-D
lvl.4
  • >>>

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-5-15 14:31
No GPS position till 74.5 seconds after power up.  Gets home position at 80.7 seconds.  (home point recorded).
Is in P-GPS mode from 4.5 seconds after power up.  Then ATTI mode at 100.7 seconds & 100.8 seconds (end of log).

I let it hover in the hotel room until the home point recorded.  after that i sent it outside.
2018-5-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

3-D Posted at 2018-5-15 14:32
so i'm trying to understand the log, and what happened.  It was outside fighting for a minute before it went to atti mode.  So was i fighting wind and then it went into ATTI mode?  or did i just lose it when i flew out the door?

Of course this is just for information purposes, because i'm never doing that again.

I think aircraft showed strong interference, very quickly when you took off inside, there is so many things that can cause interference inside lots of electronics metal objects etc any deviance in compass will show when Aircraft gets in the air, so most likely explanation is compass was effected and when outside you can see gps being cancelled or dropped and aircraft going into Atti mode causing sudden movement.

This is what I believe from your reading your log, it can also happen that when flying inside to outside that gps will not be picked up in time to control also causing aircraft to go to Atti mode but not so violently more like drifting.
2018-5-15
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

3-D Posted at 2018-5-15 14:41
I let it hover in the hotel room until the home point recorded.  after that i sent it outside.

That's kind of what it looked like.  You had it hovering for a while.  Maybe moving it closer to door.
Then right after getting home point recorded, it was out the door.
2018-5-15
Use props
3-D
lvl.4
  • >>>

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-15 14:44
I think aircraft showed strong interference, very quickly when you took off inside, there is so many things that can cause interference inside lots of electronics metal objects etc any deviance in compass will show when Aircraft gets in the air, so most likely explanation is compass was effected and when outside you can see gps being cancelled or dropped and aircraft going into Atti mode causing sudden movement.

This is what I believe from your reading your log, it can also happen that when flying inside to outside that gps will not be picked up in time to control also causing aircraft to go to Atti mode but not so violently more like drifting.

That's what i thought when i read about ATTI mode.  I thought that it was at least semi controllable.  But this was not.  This was like someone kicked it to the side.  Viloent was a good description of the way it shifted and went into that window.

Thanks for looking over it.
2018-5-15
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

3-D Posted at 2018-5-15 14:32

It was outside fighting for a minute before it went to atti mode.

Looks like it went into ATTI mode 20-seconds after home point was recorded.  Wasn't outside very long, well flying that is.

The log ends with only 2 ATTI entries.  
Log from GO-4 app or drone?
2018-5-15
Use props
3-D
lvl.4
  • >>>

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-5-15 14:47
That's kind of what it looked like.  You had it hovering for a while.  Maybe moving it closer to door.
Then right after getting home point recorded, it was out the door.

pretty much.  one of the things that i read some place said to launch, and let it hover for a minute before taking flight.  That has just become natural for me now.  Especially if it doesn't sit perfectly still once it lifts.
2018-5-15
Use props
3-D
lvl.4
  • >>>

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-5-15 14:53
It was outside fighting for a minute before it went to atti mode.

Log from App.  I didn't see where to get the log from the  drone.  If you can tell me where to find it i'll grab it too...It felt like i was fighting wind for 5 minutes.  looks like it was more like 20 seconds.    That was a long 20 seconds.
2018-5-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

3-D Posted at 2018-5-15 14:53
That's what i thought when i read about ATTI mode.  I thought that it was at least semi controllable.  But this was not.  This was like someone kicked it to the side.  Viloent was a good description of the way it shifted and went into that window.

Thanks for looking over it.

The best way I can explain this is. If you put your Aircraft on the ground in normal circumstances, start it up, then lift it up and turn it 90 degrees to the right your compass heading and IMU will remain at 0.
If you put your Aircraft on the ground and there is magnetic interference only the heading of your compass will change, your aircraft will still take off. But when it clears magnetic interference compass will then move to correct heading which will effect IMU so MavAir gets conflicting data drops gps and goes to ATTI mode . Again the most likely explanation reading your log.
2018-5-15
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

3-D Posted at 2018-5-15 14:56
pretty much.  one of the things that i read some place said to launch, and let it hover for a minute before taking flight.  That has just become natural for me now.  Especially if it doesn't sit perfectly still once it lifts.

Nothing wrong with letting it hover for a minute.  
Asked because I was trying to figure out how long drone was outside before last log entry.
2018-5-15
Use props
Hurley1718
Second Officer
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>
United States

3-D Posted at 2018-5-15 13:34
That is my hope.  I know it will stay in my head.

me:  i'm just gonna fly this right through that door.

That's exactly what I was thinking.  
2018-5-15
Use props
3-D
lvl.4
  • >>>

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-5-15 15:03
Nothing wrong with letting it hover for a minute.  
Asked because I was trying to figure out how long drone was outside before last log entry.

Yeah.  it felt like a long time, but it looks like it was only 20 seconds or so...
2018-5-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

3-D Posted at 2018-5-15 15:07
Yeah.  it felt like a long time, but it looks like it was only 20 seconds or so...

Looks like it was outside For over 40 seconds, you can tell this by looking when VPS altitude disappears VPS measures altitide at low altitude.
2018-5-15
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

3-D Posted at 2018-5-15 14:58
Log from App.  I didn't see where to get the log from the  drone.  If you can tell me where to find it i'll grab it too...It felt like i was fighting wind for 5 minutes.  looks like it was more like 20 seconds.    That was a long 20 seconds.

I do not know if it is same process for Mavic Air.

On Mavic Pro drones, you get drone's Flight Log by connecting a computer to drone with correct USB cable, then running DJI's Assistant-2.
However, Assistant-2 only appears to be working for Windows computers, not Apples running OS-X.

Best of luck!  

2018-5-15
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-15 15:15
Looks like it was outside For over 40 seconds, you can tell this by looking when VPS altitude disappears VPS measures altitide at low altitude.

3-D said drone was inside till Home point was recorded, which shows to be at 80.7s.  
Last recorded entry is at 100.8s.

Granted, drone probably sat outside a lot longer than 20.1s after crashing, waiting to be rescued.  
2018-5-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-5-15 15:30
3-D said drone was inside till Home point was recorded, which shows to be at 80.7s.  

I think he said according to log, he thought he was outside much longer, he could have been inside til  80 seconds but VPs stopped reading altitude sometime after 40 seconds so unless it stopped reading altitude inside for other reason I’m saying it was outside and outside VPs range.
2018-5-15
Use props
3-D
lvl.4
  • >>>

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-5-15 15:24
I do not know if it is same process for Mavic Air.

On Mavic Pro drones, you get drone's Flight Log by connecting a computer to drone with correct USB cable, then running DJI's Assistant-2.

I've used the assistant on my mac, but only to upload firmware.  If i can't get logs on it i'll just use one of the windows pcs.  
2018-5-15
Use props
3-D
lvl.4
  • >>>

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-5-15 15:30

it was probably over there for about 2-3 minutes.  and believe me, that was the longest 2 minutes in recent memory.  
2018-5-15
Use props
GDL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Hong Kong

It’s bad idea to take off in house and fly to outside. Specially from the high building. No GPS at takeoff and fly to different environment outside. No mentioned the wind around building. Even launch successfully you will have problem when flying it back. Good chance to loose your drone.
2018-5-15
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

GDL Posted at 2018-5-15 19:57
It’s bad idea to take off in house and fly to outside. Specially from the high building. No GPS at takeoff and fly to different environment outside. No mentioned the wind around building. Even launch successfully you will have problem when flying it back. Good chance to loose your drone.

No GPS at takeoff

See 3-D's post #56 LINK
2018-5-15
Use props
Datadogie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 27028 ft

The moral of your storey. "Never listen to the wife" Mind you she says I never listen anyway.
2018-5-15
Use props
3-D
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

GDL Posted at 2018-5-15 19:57

yeah,  I know there was no GPS at takeoff, thus letting it hover and gain stability before sending it out.

and yeah.  It's a bad idea.  That's kinda the whole point of the story.  I did not know that until this experience.  That's what I wanted to share with other new pilots.  Other stories may not end as happily as going next door to pick it up from the ledge.
2018-5-16
Use props
3-D
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Datadogie Posted at 2018-5-15 22:01
The moral of your storey. "Never listen to the wife" Mind you she says I never listen anyway.

not quite the moral.... but close.   
2018-5-16
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

3-D Posted at 2018-5-15 07:26
TRUTH.  She is probably the only one that would be able to get me to do that.

I was fine knowing that GPS wouldn't be great. I knew that it would be only line of sight, and i was "only going out to do a POI, then back in." I didn't think about the fact that the compass would be affected.  Lesson learned.  Lucky for me it wasn't a very expensive lesson.

I didn't think about the fact that the compass would be affected.

In picture you attached it shows a metal railing just outside sliding glass door.

Did your room, where you flew from have same metal railing just outside sliding glass door?

If yes, it is likely made of steel.  As high as railing looks, your drone may have passed with in 1-1/2 feet of metal railing.  Which could have briefly effected drone's compass.
Effected drone's compass as drone flew from still air to disturbed air (aka changing winds, down/up drafts, etc.).

From the following post LINK, this picture shows effects of a steel guard rail with far less steel.

The two lobes (increased field strength) comes from Smartdevice passing over steel guard rail.

If you are still at hotel, you could bring up CellPhone compass and try passing it over room's safety railing, to see if compass deviates from direction pointed to inside room.

2018-5-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-5-16 08:49

In picture you attached it shows a metal railing just outside sliding glass door.

He had strong interference at take off, if it came from the railing it happened then but my guess is it came from wherever Aircraft was launched from, if it came from flying over the railing then as soon as it cleared the railing compass would be fine.
2018-5-16
Use props
3-D
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-5-16 08:49

Yes.  my room had the exact same railing.
I launched from about 6-8 feet from railing.  hovered inside the room.  flew out of the room over the railing and out into the wind.  The closest I was able to get to the railing again before being thrown into the door of the room next to mine was about 5 feet.  I know this because it was about 2 feet out of reach.

I have since left the hotel (checked out yesterday), but at this point, it really doesn't matter.  

I'm no longer trying to figure out what happened.  To be honest, i wasn't trying to figure it out when i wrote the original post.  I just wanted people to learn from my mistake.
This thread, however, has been VERY eye opening, and i have learned a great deal about the sensitivity of my aircraft and the environmental elements that i need to be aware of when flying.
Thanks for the additional information!  My learning continues.

I think DJI should put a warning label on the packaging.  This is NOT a toy.

2018-5-16
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules