IMU Calibration
1267 17 2018-5-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
OIZ4mXgaXaB8
lvl.1
United States

Has anyone had problems with the IMU Calibration.  When I try to calibrate the progress bar stalls at 95%.  I have tried restarting teh unit and controler however I have had no success.
2018-5-15
Use props
LIVNXXL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1806125 ft
  • >>>
United States

Only happened to me once. Powered down, put the inspire in the frig for 15 minutes, inserted a fresh battery and restarted process with success
2018-5-15
Use props
OIZ4mXgaXaB8
lvl.1
United States

LIVNXXL Posted at 2018-5-15 07:59
Only happened to me once. Powered down, put the inspire in the frig for 15 minutes, inserted a fresh battery and restarted process with success

What do you mean by in the frig?
2018-5-15
Use props
Kiffkool
lvl.4
Flight distance : 812808 ft
United Kingdom

OIZ4mXgaXaB8 Posted at 2018-5-15 09:19

He means making sure the imu is cold when you do your calibration ......it gives a better calibration.
2018-5-15
Use props
fansf77370fb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1008924 ft

I have never had a problem. And I didn’t stick it in the refrigerator.
2018-5-15
Use props
Highasakite
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1423930 ft
United States

OIZ4mXgaXaB8, Don't put it in the refrigerator. Tomorrow before you fly, #1 fully charged battery, a flat level area and your R/C. Place aircraft on the flat, level surface, install battery, connect to aircraft, run IMU immediately. You should be fine! Safety First! Ken.
2018-5-15
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

OIZ4mXgaXaB8 Posted at 2018-5-15 09:19

sometimes getting the aircraft cooled off *using a cold garage or refrigerator for about 10-15 will help you get a good calibration. I have done this before and it can help. Use nice flat table that is level in all directions away from metal. Also start up your Go 4 App and have everything ready before you start the IMU procedure/ Every second you wait after you start up the Inspire 2, will begin to warm up the IMU components. So the faster you are, the better ( like a car pit stop)

You should be good to go after this.

Rich
2018-5-15
Use props
Farnk666
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

IMU calibration is not affected in any way, shape or form by the presence of metal.
Ferrous metals and magnetic fields can affect a Compass calibration but not an IMU cal. Completely different things.

Most important thing with an IMU cal is that the Surface is level and than the AC is left still and undisturbed for a few minutes before and during the cal process.
Putting the AC in the fridge is just looney tunes - crap advice that keeps getting repeated as gospel. As long as the AC is not overheating it will be fine.

2018-5-16
Use props
OIZ4mXgaXaB8
lvl.1
United States

Farnk666 Posted at 2018-5-16 01:45
IMU calibration is not affected in any way, shape or form by the presence of metal.
Ferrous metals and magnetic fields can affect a Compass calibration but not an IMU cal. Completely different things.

Thank you to everyone for the advice however it keeps stalling at 94% because it says that it has been moved.   I have not moved the drone or the RC.  Thoughts?
2018-5-16
Use props
LIVNXXL
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

OIZ4mXgaXaB8 Posted at 2018-5-16 06:50
Thank you to everyone for the advice however it keeps stalling at 94% because it says that it has been moved.   I have not moved the drone or the RC.  Thoughts?

I am not sure of the ambient temperature where you are . When I did my IMU it was 112 Degrees in my garage. the "CRAP" advice might be the thing you need as it enabled my calibration numbers to come in much lower and succeed.
2018-5-16
Use props
OIZ4mXgaXaB8
lvl.1
United States

LIVNXXL Posted at 2018-5-16 11:54
I am not sure of the ambient temperature where you are . When I did my IMU it was 112 Degrees in my garage. the "CRAP" advice might be the thing you need as it enabled my calibration numbers to come in much lower and succeed.

It was about 75 degrees in the room but it keeps saying that the drone was moved and that was not the case so I am running out of options.

Thanks
2018-5-16
Use props
Farnk666
lvl.4
Australia

LIVNXXL Posted at 2018-5-16 11:54

And why would you be trying to cal the IMU at that temperature?
Well out of the temp spec for the Inspire.

Operating Temperature
14° to 104° F (-10° to 40° C)
2018-5-17
Use props
Farnk666
lvl.4
Australia

OIZ4mXgaXaB8 Posted at 2018-5-16 12:14
It was about 75 degrees in the room but it keeps saying that the drone was moved and that was not the case so I am running out of options.

Thanks

If it keeps coming up with that message you might have a hardware fault - only other thing I'd suggest is looking at your firmware situation.
2018-5-17
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

The most important thing when calibrating the IMU is to keep the aircraft level in room temperature, if the IMu keeps failing to be calibrated, please send in for further revaluation.
2018-5-17
Use props
LIVNXXL
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Farnk666 Posted at 2018-5-17 00:47
And why would you be trying to cal the IMU at that temperature?
Well out of the temp spec for the Inspire.

Because that is where the tested to be level work area was and I had just completed a firmware update and did not want to go to a job without all bases being covered. I have 3 Inspire 1's (all 3 were done at this time)and am well aware of the operating temps and have flown carefully exceeding them. Sorry if I did not ask his conditions first as I meant no harm but was only trying to help. Can you explain why cooling the unit would be bad, Especially if you live in a hot area and ambient temp is at a 104 and the IMU calibration might potentially heat the components above the safe operating limits as the cooling fan might not be sufficient at borderline temps.
2018-5-17
Use props
Farnk666
lvl.4
Australia

LIVNXXL Posted at 2018-5-17 08:09
Because that is where the tested to be level work area was and I had just completed a firmware update and did not want to go to a job without all bases being covered. I have 3 Inspire 1's (all 3 were done at this time)and am well aware of the operating temps and have flown carefully exceeding them. Sorry if I did not ask his conditions first as I meant no harm but was only trying to help. Can you explain why cooling the unit would be bad, Especially if you live in a hot area and ambient temp is at a 104 and the IMU calibration might potentially heat the components above the safe operating limits as the cooling fan might not be sufficient at borderline temps.

Putting the Inspire into a location where the ambient temperature is cool is fine - as is performing the calibration at a time when the peak of the day's temperature has receded.

The calibration process is all about the system monitoring the output of the various sensors in a controlled condition/environment and deriving a baseline set of numbers from that known state.

All electronic devices are affected by temperature - if someone refrigerates their device then brings it into ambient (warm to hot) conditions for calibration then the temperature shift will have significant effect at the same time as the calibration process is underway. This is adding variability into a process that relies on stable conditions.

DJI state that the Inspire should be left unmoved and stable for 5 minutes before the IMU cal process is initiated. This is to ensure that movement and temperature factors are as stable as possible, improving chances of a good calibration.

I also live in an area that is hot - but would never calibrate at the temperatures you've mentioned. Not telling you what to do, but the manufacturer's specs are the specs and their procedures and the devices' functionality are based on those limits. A bit of planning beforehand means that extremes of environment can be avoided and risk mitigated.
2018-5-17
Use props
LIVNXXL
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Farnk666 Posted at 2018-5-17 15:13
Putting the Inspire into a location where the ambient temperature is cool is fine - as is performing the calibration at a time when the peak of the day's temperature has receded.

The calibration process is all about the system monitoring the output of the various sensors in a controlled condition/environment and deriving a baseline set of numbers from that known state.

Thank you for taking the time for a very insightful answer. My old school RC toys (very expensive toys) did not function under the same advanced tech as what is available today. Having 3 Inspires I still did not have the insight as to what exactly was being processed behind the glamor. Thanks again for taking the time to explain.
2018-5-18
Use props
Farnk666
lvl.4
Australia

LIVNXXL Posted at 2018-5-18 06:32
Thank you for taking the time for a very insightful answer. My old school RC toys (very expensive toys) did not function under the same advanced tech as what is available today. Having 3 Inspires I still did not have the insight as to what exactly was being processed behind the glamor. Thanks again for taking the time to explain.

All good mate,

Sometimes the marketing and promotion over-simplifies the real complexity of technology here.
These are very technically complex devices and the fact that in the most part an inexperienced person can pick one up and fly it is frankly amazing.

DJI/Yuneec/3DR and the others have taken this complexity and packaged it into a simple and usually quite reliable range of products. That's a big achievement.

Where problems can come up is when issues or faults happen - then you need some knowledge and understanding that is just not covered that well in the manual. It would be great if DJI's manuals were a bit more comprehensive and clearly explained how the systems operate!

Anyway - safe flying and have fun.
2018-5-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules