Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
How do you calibrate IMU
14518 16 2015-5-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TomWolves
lvl.4
Flight distance : 110577 ft
United States

Hello people, I have not received my Phantom 3 yet, but I try to research questions I might have down the road so I know what is going on. I can't find where you calibrate the IMU on the Phantom 3 like you do on the Phantom 2 Vision Plus. I was hoping someone could fill me in that has real knowledge with their Phantom 3 . Thank you for your help, I appreciate it very much.
2015-5-12
Use props
vmp
lvl.3

United States

DJI Pilot app > MC Settings > Sensors > IMU calibration.
2015-5-12
Use props
TomWolves
lvl.4
United States

vmp Posted at 2015-5-12 22:46

Thank you! I didn't see this in the manual.
2015-5-12
Use props
TomWolves
lvl.4
United States

where exactly is (MC Settings) on the App vmp ? how do I get to it? does the Phantom 3 have to be on? Thank you
2015-5-12
Use props
david.p.mann
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

To perform an IMU calibration, the P3 and the controller must be turned on and linked (of course) and then DJI Pilot app running.  

From the DJI Pilot app main menu screen, select Camera.  There are several ways to get to the correct settings menu - the fastest is to select the "Mode" button in the upper left (to right of home symbol).  This will bring up the "MC Settings" screen. Use your finger to scroll to the bottom of the MC Settings screen to reveal "Sensors" menu item.  Select "Sensors" menu item.  Scroll to the bottom of the Sensors menu screen to reveal "Check IMU" and "IMU Calibration" choices.

Caution: Before starting an IMU Calibration, the P3 should be "cold" (i.e., not recently flown) and must be sitting on a hard level surface with no vibrations, other electronics, magnets (e.g., stereo speakers) or metal nearby (this includes rebar in your concrete driveway).  I use a perfectly level ceramic floor tile in my family room. Also, you must not touch, bump or move the P3 during the IMU calibration and minimize floor vibrations (people walking, doors slamming, spouse vacuuming in next room, etc.). Start the IMU Calibration, click through the message and warning screens.  The IMU Calibration takes 3-10 minutes - there is a status bar that will eventually go to 100% - it may take a minute or two before it changes from 0%.  

I recommend doing a Gimbal Auto Calibration immediately after the IMU Calibration is finished with the P3 still sitting on the same level surface.  This will correct any tilted horizons you may be seeing in your videos.
2015-5-12
Use props
TomWolves
lvl.4
United States

david.p.mann@ea Posted at 2015-5-13 00:16
To perform an IMU calibration, the P3 and the controller must be turned on and linked (of course) an ...

Got it! Thank you much for your time David.
2015-5-12
Use props
Barney Rubbel
lvl.4
United States

david.p.mann@ea Posted at 2015-5-12 11:16
To perform an IMU calibration, the P3 and the controller must be turned on and linked (of course) an ...

Thank You.  Very Helpful. I couldn't find it to save my soul. I am "scroll challenged".  
2015-10-18
Use props
Rnfaust
lvl.4
Flight distance : 734938 ft
United States

david.p.mann@ea Posted at 2015-5-12 10:16

While it certainly doesn't hurt to avoid metal and magnets while calibrating the IMU and gimbal, I don't believe there is any mention of it in the manual. Those calibrations do not use the compass and are not sensitive to ferrous materials. IMO
2015-10-18
Use props
DB4Tim
lvl.2

United States

david.p.mann@ea Posted at 2015-5-12 10:16

Just learning.....why cold and what is cold to the calibration and to the P3P
2016-4-20
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Cold, because (as I understand it) the IMU has a heater that assures it is up to a suitable temperature to work properly.  When you fire it up, it won't fly until the IMU is warmed up to the temperature where it was calibrated (again, as I understand it).  If you calibrate it at 75F, you'll need to wait until the IMU gets up there before it will start.  If you calibrate cold (I've done it well below freezing), the wait for warm-up decreases considerably.  In my case, it went from a 90+ seconds, to being ready to fly before I was ready (maybe 30 seconds).  I do it in the early morning, just about sunrise.  I put it out on the sidewalk where I'll do the calibration (already checked for level - and no metal anywhere nearby) for an hour or so before sunrise to let it cool down.  The battery stays in the house, nice and warm until you're ready.  When you feel it is as cool as it will get, put the battery in and immediately do the calibration.
2016-4-20
Use props
Gary C
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1710938 ft
  • >>>
United States

When you do it, do it cold and the p3 and p4 will start up 100 percent faster
2016-4-20
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8139875 ft

Rnfaust Posted at 2015-10-19 00:10
While it certainly doesn't hurt to avoid metal and magnets while calibrating the IMU and gimbal, I ...

To are%100 correct.
2016-4-20
Use props
DB4Tim
lvl.2

United States

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2016-4-20 15:41
Cold, because (as I understand it) the IMU has a heater that assures it is up to a suitable temperat ...

Cool.....no pun, a great description of why...I will do it thanks!
2016-4-21
Use props
Dcstidham
New

United States

OK. I updated the firmware, I started with a cool, charged battery and controller, PS on a level surface, started dji Go app, went to MC Settings...Sensors...Check IMU Calibration.
After 30 minutes, the timing wheel is still spinning and the scroll bar is still at 0%. How do I get the calibration procedure off of high center?
2016-6-6
Use props
vandruten
lvl.3

Indonesia

Dcstidham@sbcgl Posted at 2016-6-7 06:12
OK. I updated the firmware, I started with a cool, charged battery and controller, PS on a level sur ...

Try to restart the bird. Bear in mind that the bird and the battery are warm after your FW upgrade. You might want to wait for a while, to get an ambient temperature on both the bird and the batt. Then fire everything up, calibrate IMU, calibrate compass.
2016-6-6
Use props
fanse574c7a3
New
United States

vandruten Posted at 2016-6-6 15:29
Try to restart the bird. Bear in mind that the bird and the battery are warm after your FW upgrade. You might want to wait for a while, to get an ambient temperature on both the bird and the batt. Then fire everything up, calibrate IMU, calibrate compass.

I have a Phantom 4 Pro and have never been able to get past the IMU calibration.  Tech support is useless.  They recommend resetting the controler, watch the video, wish you luck and hang up before you can run thru the process.  They must know it's an issue and doesn't work.  If I am to use it at all, I just have to ignore it and fly anyway.  Tech support is a joke.
2017-9-4
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

I would add --- I do the IMU calibration outside the house in a clear area away from any influences .... why ?

The IMU includes compass factors .... look at the bottom line of boxes .... they are Compass factors.

Nigel
2017-9-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules